Bridges or DiVincenzo + Miami 2021

Bridges or DiVincenzo and Miami 2021

• Bridges

• DiVincenzo and Miami 2021

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's gonna result in a bunch of kids coming out who aren't ready. There's a reason owners wanted that one and done rule
It’s goingbto essentially double the talent.

For instance if they eliminated it last year, that draft would’ve potentially had:

Fultz
Ball
JJackson
Tatum
Fox
Markenaan
Donovan Mitchell
Ayton
Bagley
JJJ
Trae
Sexton
Bamba
Porter

Now I’m sure not all of them would’ve come out, but at least some of them would.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

For instance if they eliminated it last year, that draft would’ve potentially had:

Fultz
Ball
JJackson
Tatum
Fox
Markenaan
Donovan Mitchell
Ayton
Bagley
JJJ
Trae
Sexton
Bamba
Porter

Now I’m sure not all of them would’ve come out, but at least some of them would.

With Porter possibly going #1 and being then probably becoming the most depressing top pick of all time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Fultz
Ball
JJackson
Tatum
Fox
Markenaan
Donovan Mitchell
Ayton
Bagley
JJJ
Trae
Sexton
Bamba
Porter

Half those guys were nowhere near ready right out of high school. That kind of logic is just insane

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yes it was a valuable trait chip which was cashed in what’s the point of keep saving them if you found the trade in the player that you liked
I’ll be honest, I think this was a sort of panic trade by McD. He knows he’s in the hot seat. If they don’t win soon he won’t be here to use the Miami pick. He’s not been successful signing free agents and so trading for established players doesn’t ensure they stay. But trading the Miami pick, even under value, for a high draft pick ensures a high talent player that can help immediately. Because a 2021 pick has little value to a guy needing to win now I think McD gave it away for not enough in return. Unprotected in what could be a great draft to move up 6 spots.

Love bridges, not a fan of mcd’a self-serving move.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Fultz
Ball
JJackson
Tatum
Fox
Markenaan
Donovan Mitchell
Ayton
Bagley
JJJ
Trae
Sexton
Bamba
Porter

I agree with a lot of kids would have came out last year, Bamba himself said in an interview before the draft that the one and done rule is the only reason we went to college, he felt he would have had better development his first year in NBA than in college.

Problem is high school kids are a big gamble, other than Dwight, LeBron & Kobe most HS kids take years of development before you know whether or not they belong in the league.

What I don't understand is if PHX was interested in DeVincenzo, he went like at #17 to MIL, why didn't McD offer up #31, #59 and maybe their 2019 pick back if they wanted DeVincenzo as well and still have Bridges?

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really like the Suns trading for Bridges but I'm not going to rationalize trading away the unprotected future Miami pick. It hurts. It was a valuable trade chip and it has a lot of trade value going forward. This is why the 76ers did the deal.

Part of the way I look at it and rationalize giving up that pick is Philly is in win now mode, they picked Bridges to help them next season. He's NBA ready on a winning team, which speaks highly of what he should bring to the Suns. They didn't want to part with him but that pick is what made them do it but they sat there debating it since #10 according to how McD discussed the trade. He said something about talking to them before they picked and who they were they going to take because McD called initially for the pick itself before it was spent and they said they were taking Bridges and that's who he wanted to get with it so to keep the Suns in mind because they'll be picking at 16 since they can't grab Bridges. So they knew full well McD wanted him from that point forward and it took them 30 minutes of kicking around scenarios of what would make it worthwhile. That's backed up by a tweet someone else from Philly reported about how Denver taking Porter allowed the trade to happen because otherwise we would have taken Porter at 16 and not worked that trade for Bridges. Since everything fell in place, we're hear discussing how it turned out today.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the way I look at it and rationalize giving up that pick is Philly is in win now mode, they picked Bridges to help them next season. He's NBA ready on a winning team, which speaks highly of what he should bring to the Suns. They didn't want to part with him but that pick is what made them do it but they sat there debating it since #10 according to how McD discussed the trade. He said something about talking to them before they picked and who they were they going to take because McD called initially for the pick itself before it was spent and they said they were taking Bridges and that's who he wanted to get with it so to keep the Suns in mind because they'll be picking at 16 since they can't grab Bridges. So they knew full well McD wanted him from that point forward and it took them 30 minutes of kicking around scenarios of what would make it worthwhile. That's backed up by a tweet someone else from Philly reported about how Denver taking Porter allowed the trade to happen because otherwise we would have taken Porter at 16 and not worked that trade for Bridges. Since everything fell in place, we're hear discussing how it turned out today.

I was afraid the Suns would try to trade up for Porter. I was much relieved when the Nuggets drafted him. It felt like the 76ers leveraged McDonough to give up the future Miami pick. I was a huge Shai supporter but I would not have included the future Miami pick for him. That said, the trade is done and I'm hoping for the best case scenario.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You have to pay and to get bridges it cost us 2021 Miami. Only way it's a failure is if Divincenzo is the Mitchell of this draft or 2021 Miami pick pans out for Philly.....who will probably trade it next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I think this was a sort of panic trade by McD. He knows he’s in the hot seat. If they don’t win soon he won’t be here to use the Miami pick. He’s not been successful signing free agents and so trading for established players doesn’t ensure they stay. But trading the Miami pick, even under value, for a high draft pick ensures a high talent player that can help immediately. Because a 2021 pick has little value to a guy needing to win now I think McD gave it away for not enough in return. Unprotected in what could be a great draft to move up 6 spots.

The idea of judging other peoples' motives just really grates on me. It presumes you know what he is thinking, and also assumes the worst about what he is thinking. Isn't winning now a priority for the entire team, not just McD?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of kids would have came out last year, Bamba himself said in an interview before the draft that the one and done rule is the only reason we went to college, he felt he would have had better development his first year in NBA than in college.

Problem is high school kids are a big gamble, other than Dwight, LeBron & Kobe most HS kids take years of development before you know whether or not they belong in the league.

What I don't understand is if PHX was interested in DeVincenzo, he went like at #17 to MIL, why didn't McD offer up #31, #59 and maybe their 2019 pick back if they wanted DeVincenzo as well and still have Bridges?
If you watch the presser, he basically answers this question (about not trading up for Donte). They were looking into a lot of options at 16 including trading down. They liked Donte OK, but not really enough to take him at 16. They were not really enamored with anyone in that range.

He also said they had been pursuing Mikal all night. They tried to trade for #10 when Philly was on the clock. Then when Philly took Mikal, they said that was the guy they wanted and they would still be interested in a trade later. When Zhaire was on the board Philly called. I am sure Philly knew that the Suns were hot for Mikal and called at the last minutes so it would not be enough time to dicker.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you watch the presser, he basically answers this question (about not trading up for Donte). They were looking into a lot of options at 16 including trading down. They liked Donte OK, but not really enough to take him at 16. They were not really enamored with anyone in that range.

He also said they had been pursuing Mikal all night. They tried to trade for #10 when Philly was on the clock. Then when Philly took Mikal, they said that was the guy they wanted and they would still be interested in a trade later. When Zhaire was on the board Philly called. I am sure Philly knew that the Suns were hot for Mikal and called at the last minutes so it would not be enough time to dicker.
Didn't watch the presser but this makes sense, so Gambo was wrong about PHX taking DiVincenzo at #16 if they stayed?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also Bridges replaced the need for Donte.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Didn't watch the presser but this makes sense, so Gambo was wrong about PHX taking DiVincenzo at #16 if they stayed?
No. They would have taken Donte, if they could get no other deal got done, but they would have preferred to get a deal done.

And of course they would have told the world that he was their guy. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

McDonough said the Suns liked Villanova players if they drafted at #16. In essence he was saying they would have drafted Donte at this slot. He didn't want to give out names.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I enjoyed this take on Bridges. This guy does really good videos.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just can't believe a "seasoned" GM who people here have compared to Ainge gave that pick up... unprotected... to a team with NO GM. And people can talk about how the Heat will be good in three years... but they seem to be the same people who slammed those who were pissed about losing the Lakers pick, using the same rationale.

And guess what player got taken at that Lakers pick we originally owned... BRIDGES! I mean... to not get ANY protection on that pick is a little mind-boggling to me. Just always seems like we deal from a position not just of weakness but desperation. Much like we probably will now with Warren, when it's become incredibly apparent that there's no room for him on this team. Much like we needed to when we had to deal Dragic. And when we needed to deal Bledsoe.

I hope Bridges is worth it, but considering everyone here was talking about that pick being off-limits just 28 hours ago unless it got us a top 4 pick, he's gonna have to be really, really damn good. And the continued trades of McD leave me to believe that while this team will get better, they won't truly challenge for a title until someone with a little better foresight is calling the shots.

That said, I'M STOKED FOR NEXT YEAR!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In other words, the team with no GM outfoxed ours. Great.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you want to put it that way fine. Still, if it's about unprotected or no deal, I make the trade.

I am just not going to worry about that pick, personally. We still have all our own going forward and Mikal is the type of player I would only hope we could get with that pick. We gave up the 16 to get him now. It was a reasonable deal IMO.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They have Brett Brown handling things while they search for Colangelo's replacement. Marc Eversley is a possible replacement for Bryan who is currently Philadelphia's vice president of basketball operations and another candidate that's been mentioned is their current chief of staff Ned Cohen. So it's very likely a formality for them at this point to give one of the 3 the title considering they're already there in some capacity running other things.

That isn't to say anything about the quality of the trade made.

Source: Sports Illustrated

I think the No GM thing is being blown out of proportion and should not be used as an indicator of it being a good or bad deal. It hasn't been mentioned anywhere else from what I've seen. The only talk of it at all has been on this board.

The 76'ers never wanted Bryan Colangelo. Even before the tweets that caused his falling out his presence wasn't exactly welcomed. Jerry was forced on them by the league and he hired Bryan as GM without anyone else really getting a look, forcing Hinkie out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to put it that way fine. Still, if it's about unprotected or no deal, I make the trade.

I am just not going to worry about that pick, personally. We still have all our own going forward and Mikal is the type of player I would only hope we could get with that pick. We gave up the 16 to get him now. It was a reasonable deal IMO.

This just seems like people are rewriting history on what that pick was worth from just 29 hours ago when they'd only give it up if it meant getting Doncic, JJJ or Young. I don't think Bridges is the kind of difference maker those guys could be and neither did anyone else before we drafted him so to see all this talk that he's absolutely worth two first round picks... one in a loaded draft and another that's completely unprotected (in an era where almost NO ONE trades unprotected picks) just seems funny to me.

And again, the trade worries me more about this team ever getting to the highest level and maintaining the ability to stay there when you have a GM that continually ends up on the shorter end of trades.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have Brett Brown handling things while they search for Colangelo's replacement. Marc Eversley is a possible replacement for Bryan who is currently Philadelphia's vice president of basketball operations and another candidate that's been mentioned is their current chief of staff Ned Cohen. So it's very likely a formality for them at this point to give one of the 3 the title considering they're already there in some capacity running other things.

That isn't to say anything about the quality of the trade made.

Source: Sports Illustrated

I think the No GM thing is being blown out of proportion and should not be used as an indicator of it being a good or bad deal. It hasn't been mentioned anywhere else from what I've seen. The only talk of it at all has been on this board.

The 76'ers never wanted Bryan Colangelo. Even before the tweets that caused his falling out his presence wasn't exactly welcomed. Jerry was forced on them by the league and he hired Bryan as GM without anyone else really getting a look, forcing Hinkie out.

so, in other words, our GM got taken by a bunch of guys who have never been GM before. No GM or a bunch of guys who might be named GM but have no experience is the same difference to me.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
but considering everyone here was talking about that pick being off-limits just 28 hours ago unless it got us a top 4 pick

it's true i didn't hear anyone say otherwise, but i'm sure there were many others besides me who were very open to moving that pick. i was going to do a pre-draft poll on trading unprotected picks and/or JJ but decided it was an uncomfortable topic. the post-draft poll is 90% pro trade. sure, there's a loyalist factor now, but i do believe the logic of having a bird in the hand today rather than 2 in the bush in 3 years did not escape most here. especially in a draft where the top 7 were more exciting than anyone else last year.

actually, comparing what i know of Bridges now to what i knew of the top picks last year at this time
i probably would have picked Bridges over any of last year's prospects

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This just seems like people are rewriting history on what that pick was worth from just 29 hours ago when they'd only give it up if it meant getting Doncic, JJJ or Young. I don't think Bridges is the kind of difference maker those guys could be and neither did anyone else before we drafted him so to see all this talk that he's absolutely worth two first round picks... one in a loaded draft and another that's completely unprotected (in an era where almost NO ONE trades unprotected picks) just seems funny to me.

And again, the trade worries me more about this team ever getting to the highest level and maintaining the ability to stay there when you have a GM that continually ends up on the shorter end of trades.
Maybe the problem here is that we value Bridges differently. I think Bridges could end up being better than Doncic. I think Doncic is more likely o be better but still, Bridges does not have the holes in his game that Doncic does. I thought this before the draft. I just never considered Bridges one of our targets. I assumed it would be Young or Doncic, or maybe another big. That is because I was just not really considering any player with SF in front of his name. I knew that Mikal was versatile enough to play multiple positions, but I am so locked into a traditional position mindset, I did not see need/value.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05