Bridges or DiVincenzo + Miami 2021

Bridges or DiVincenzo and Miami 2021

• Bridges

• DiVincenzo and Miami 2021

Results are only viewable after voting.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that 2021 is the first year with the elimination of the one-and-done rule. In theory that should result in a strong draft.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that 2021 is the first year with the elimination of the one-and-done rule. In theory that should result in a strong draft.

It's gonna result in a bunch of kids coming out who aren't ready. There's a reason owners wanted that one and done rule

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think Bridges is a tweeter forward. He’s a small forward. His 6’7 and 210lbs frame are not a PF’s frame. The introduction and acceptance of “small ball” has lead people to (imo) misidentify players. Saying that someone could play a small ball PF is more saying they could play out of position than that they are a tweeter. Rather, a tweener is someone whose game and/or body does not ideally fit one or the other description. Kevin Knox is a tweener (6’9 but somewhat of a perimeter-oriented game) while Bridges is a SF who could be called upon to play small ball PF. At least that’s the way I see it.

I already addressed that when called on it, I was more posting to poke fun about people arguing again.

He's not a tweener at all he's a SF and a wing. He's a legit 6'7

I guess it's incorrect to call him a tweener. He can play some PF in the current NBA the same way Marion did. So it's tough to correctly label him so long as people are still stuck in the previous NBA format of a PG, SG, SF, PF, C because currently it's looking more and more like the PG, Wing, Wing, Wing, C sort of future is what we'll be seeing. At the least modern frontcourts are turning into more of a Center with 2 Forwards rather than a Small and Power Forward.

Someone beat me to it. And more succinctly at that!

If you would have gone a little bit further you would have seen posts saving you the trouble of posting both of yours here. It's all good. I know he's not a tweener. He's not the Bridges I initially thought he was either, who is definitely more of a forward, but I believe my point still stands that he does fit the wing role and he and JJ could very well cover both forward spots for the Suns with Ayton as the Center. In another thread I posted the starting frontcourts among all of the Western conference playoff teams and near playoff teams and only 2 of them sort of have traditional C, PF, SF lineups, the Wolves and Spurs. The rest have a variation of C, F, F lineups. I think the Suns can match that with that their personnel.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Small ball (and SSOL) are both fads that will disappear as soon more offensively skilled big men start populating the league again (and hopefully we will have one of them). Quite possibly that will be very soon if some of these guys taken this year pan out.

The GS/Houston/Boston model is not some inevitable evolution of the game - it was a way teams that didn't have a dominant inside offensive player, but could find effective perimeter shooters, could compensate. Since there haven't been dominating inside offensive players besides Shaq and Duncan since the 1980s, it has been successful in this "generation." But I still believe it will not ultimately replace having a dominant inside force as the surest way to win basketball games. That system has in fact been the most effective from the 1950s through the 2000s, if you can get an actual dominant offensive big - not the easiest task, of course.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That isn't correct. It's said that it could happen in 2020 or 2021. It's known yet. Only that teams should prepare for the possibility of it happening. Nothing has been said confirming when it will happen or that it most definitely will, just that it's likely in one of those years. Source for that...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23804458/memo-states-nba-draft-eligibility-shift-21

It wouldn't surprise me to learn it'll happen in 2020 and that's part of why the Suns parted with the pick, or they figured that year is more likely. Who knows for sure, but certainly they know more than we do in that regard.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me to learn it'll happen in 2020 and that's part of why the Suns parted with the pick, or they figured that year is more likely. Who knows for sure, but certainly they know more than we do in that regard.

Well, that might be advantageous, considering the MIL pick could convey unprotected that year.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what a most are saying on here, in some years (like last) Bridges would be a #5-#7 pick. #10 in a loaded draft.

No guarantee where the Miami pick will fall, or what the talent level in the draft will be. The Suns saw an opportunity to get a top talent, and to do so gave up a pick, #16, and a future pick that odds are will be a mid-range pick as well, and only a slim chance of being as good a talent as Bridges.

Given all of that, in spite of being upset when it happened, I really think this was a great trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, that might be advantageous, considering the MIL pick could convey unprotected that year.

And there are conditions that could land that pick here in 2019 and 2020, I don't think anyone is planning on that coming here unprotected in 2021. It's only protected 1-7 in 2020, I believe, which is when it will probably convey. Next year it has similar front and back end protection on it, I want to say it's 1-9 and 17-30 but I'm not positive on the protection for next year, just that it's similar to the conditions it had this season.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Look at all our picks since 2000. Maybe 5 of them were great picks that worked out well. But we going nuts over a crazy Miami pick 3 years down the road. Cmon

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not overly familiar with Mikal but when I watch the scouting videos, I am less than enamored of this trade. His weak handles, questionable on ball defense and poor court vision suggest he's just another version of PJ Tucker. I just don't see that being worth the 16 and an unprotected pick. Hopefully, the scouting video I just watched was overly critical in it's analysis of him.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not overly familiar with Mikal but when I watch the scouting videos, I am less than enamored of this trade. His weak handles, questionable on ball defense and poor court vision suggest he's just another version of PJ Tucker. I just don't see that being worth the 16 and an unprotected pick. Hopefully, the scouting video I just watched was overly critical in it's analysis of him.

Was it the DraftExpress one? I watched that one, which mentioned those issues. I wouldn't worry...that's the formula. They tear down everyone after they build them up, which you can do with any prospect in history.

I picked a random one to show my point. Here's Bagley, for instance. If you just started watching at 3:00, you'd think he was a second rounder.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Loved it. For one I really like Bridges and two, really wanted nothing to do with DiVencenzo.

Regarding the pick I think Miami will be mediocre for two years as their salaries run out but should be ready to spend again by 20/21’. Just looking at their current salaries makes me think Riley has lost a step or two and that’s one thing that worries me.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Donte and would have been happy to get him. There were a lot of players I was not interested in there though. Zhaire was one of them.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Potentially a double draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Suns trading for Bridges but I'm not going to rationalize trading away the unprotected future Miami pick. It hurts. It was a valuable trade chip and it has a lot of trade value going forward. This is why the 76ers did the deal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Suns trading for Bridges but I'm not going to rationalize trading away the unprotected future Miami pick. It hurts. It was a valuable trade chip and it has a lot of trade value going forward. This is why the 76ers did the deal.

If he really has all the weaknesses some of the scouting videos suggest, we've screwed ourselves. If he's the mature, well rounded, dynamic 3 and D player some experts say, we got a steal.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it was a valuable trait chip which was cashed in what’s the point of keep saving them if you found the trade in the player that you liked

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it was a valuable trait chip which was cashed in what’s the point of keep saving them if you found the trade in the player that you liked

Let's hope Bridges is that good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he really has all the weaknesses some of the scouting videos suggest, we've screwed ourselves. If he's the mature, well rounded, dynamic 3 and D player some experts say, we got a steal.

This is where we are. I'm willing to give McDonough the benefit of the doubt at least for now.

I don't think he could wait until 2021 to produce.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where we are. I'm willing to give McDonough the benefit of the doubt at least for now.

I don't think he could wait until 2021 to produce.

Sure, I understand why he pulled the trigger. We can only hope he picked the right target.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
is there anything such as a guaranteed trade or draft pick ?

Nope. Though I'd say Mikal Bridges is as safe a pick as they come. Great shooter. Works on defense. Improves every year and is a proven winner. Really like the kid.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there anything such as a guaranteed trade or draft pick ?

There are pros and cons to every trade. The Suns likely put their most valuable asset in this trade.

A trade for a player would have less risk.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Just a different perspective on the Miami pick:

We just went through a window in time where we rebuilt the team. I think it's safe to say that window is closed. We are potentially LOADED on our wings and just landed a stud 5. (If we had to be an awful team for a few years we picked a heck of a time to do it.)

Now we're looking to build around our talent and realistically start contending in about 3 years. Next year we should be closer to .500 which would put us around the 13th pick in the 2019 draft. We probably will also have the Bucks pick which won't be far from our own. Given McD's propensity for finding gems it's reasonable to say that with one of those picks he'll provide us with another starter(PG)/solid contributor.

Since we'll be the young up and comer team it's also reasonable to conclude that one or maybe a couple of quality vets will want to sign to role player positions. In three years time that would give us an honest FULL squad teeming with talent (something we haven't had for years). That would lend to the notion that a 2021 pick won't find a lot of room on our squad.

Also consider that in the last 3 years Miami has averaged about 44 wins per season. That'd puts them close to the 16th pick in most drafts. It stands to reason that they will maintain the course when you consider it's a top destination city with a well run franchise. So if we wanted to make a reasonable claim to the value of the pick, #16 seems fair. (That's barring that they don't lure some crazy talented players in 2020 and make another run. Something they've already done twice.)

Let's say 2021 is loaded with prospects because of the possible rule change. That still means that the top prospects are 18 years old with ZERO college experience. Now we're talking about a longer timeline of development (Kobe didn't become Kobe until 4 years into the league). Even in a loaded draft, it will take a while for #16 to contribute (ie. This year's pick, Zhaire Smith might spend time in the G league this year and will certainly need a while to hone his craft). So now we wouldn't expect that prospect to potentially ripen until around 2025. And that's assuming that he's good. That's 7 years from now. 7 years.

That's a LONG time to HOPE that a draft pick will pay off. And I think we're all a little tired of hoping for our "16th pick" to pay off "7 years down the road".

When McD was asked about how long he'd thought about the value of that pick he jokingly said 3 and 1/2 years. He's really not kidding. He's been weighing that pick for years. During that time they've been waiting for the opportune moment to cash that chip in and went all in on an incredible prospect that quite honestly, shouldn't have been available. (I had him as my #5 OVL in the most loaded draft I've seen in over 25 years).

This wasn't a foolish decision. This was a carefully calculated trade that both teams should benefit from. We got a stud. Philly got assets.

Besides, none of us will care about that pick when Book, JJ, Bridges, and Ayton are vying for their 3rd championship in 2025.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05