Cam Johnson

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, why do you guys not get we will have new owners by the offseason, and none of this matters. It is a clean slate.

I was hoping the Suns might be a contender this season. They still need to improve the team.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I highly disagree with all of that. No expectations? The fans killed this team for taking him so did national media and he’s come out and proven the Suns right.
What in the world does that have to do with having to carry the burden of high expectations?

Didn’t he finish 2nd in the league in three point shooting?
Uhh, no, as far as I can tell he didn't finish 2nd in the league in three point shooting, but maybe 4th depending on the qualifier you're using (mp, attempts, makes etc.). Obviously, on the surface, there's not much difference between 2nd and 4th but between his limited minutes per game and games missed, it's not a very impactful stat.

I can understand anyone saying they have high hopes for him but this idea that he's alread shown himself worthy of some huge contract floors me.
Man you really got a low opinion of him.
As far as I'm concerned, I haven't offered a single negative opinion about him. I have high hopes for a player that has shown himself worthy of being in the NBA despite the highly negative post-draft critiques but has by no means shown us he's a full time starter. He hasn't been given that chance yet so we just don't know.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nope this is Bushleague.
You have to sign your young players without dragging it out and pissing them off.
He may not be worth 80/4 but he WILL get it or more here or somewhere else.
The messed up thing is the dude actually WANTS to be here.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What in the world does that have to do with having to carry the burden of high expectations?

Uhh, no, as far as I can tell he didn't finish 2nd in the league in three point shooting, but maybe 4th depending on the qualifier you're using (mp, attempts, makes etc.). Obviously, on the surface, there's not much difference between 2nd and 4th but between his limited minutes per game and games missed, it's not a very impactful stat.

I can understand anyone saying they have high hopes for him but this idea that he's alread shown himself worthy of some huge contract floors me.

As far as I'm concerned, I haven't offered a single negative opinion about him. I have high hopes for a player that has shown himself worthy of being in the NBA despite the highly negative post-draft critiques but has by no means shown us he's a full time starter. He hasn't been given that chance yet so we just don't know.

We get it you don’t like him

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We get it you don’t like him
Missed by a mile. I like him, I have high hopes for him, I just disagree with your implication that he's a proven commodity. He's missed too many games, played too few minutes, and had too many off nights to claim he's already produced at a high level. He's shown glimpses, that's all.

He had that great stretch that culminated in him rescuing us against New York, where he was injured. When he did return, he was mostly underwhelming the rest of the season. Which Cam do we get? The one that beat the Knicks? If so, he's a star in the making. But if we get the other one, he belongs on the bench and should be paid accordingly.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Missed by a mile. I like him, I have high hopes for him, I just disagree with your implication that he's a proven commodity. He's missed too many games, played too few minutes, and had too many off nights to claim he's already produced at a high level. He's shown glimpses, that's all.

He had that great stretch that culminated in him rescuing us against New York, where he was injured. When he did return, he was mostly underwhelming the rest of the season. Which Cam do we get? The one that beat the Knicks? If so, he's a star in the making. But if we get the other one, he belongs on the bench and should be paid accordingly.
That's a pretty fair assessment. He's definitely in a "prove it" year.

Deandre Hunter, meanwhile has already been a starter for a few years. His games played are similar to Cam, so there is some cause to compare the two, but I think the fact that Hunter is already the starter and Cam has yet to prove he can excel as a starter is really the linchpin on this contract situation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can put logic behind it, but the Suns are coming over as cheap (in regard to image) when they didn't extend Deandre Ayton, Jae Crowder, and Cam Johnson.

I understand the situation with Ayton and Crowder (I wouldn't have extended Crowder either) but the Suns could have signed Cam Johnson with an offer of only about $2-3 million more over four seasons. With increased revenue ahead, this would have been reasonable.

The Suns are looking like a team that doesn't want to pay their players. As a potential contender, this is not a good look.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Gerald Bourguet put it succinctly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think I missed the reporting of what cam was asking for and what we countered with. A lot of posts talking pretty definitively about the deal that didn’t happen. Do we know where each side was? I mean, if he was asking for herro money anyone think that’s reasonable?

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I missed the reporting of what cam was asking for and what we countered with. A lot of posts talking pretty definitively about the deal that didn’t happen. Do we know where each side was? I mean, if he was asking for herro money anyone think that’s reasonable?
According to Flex, we do. Take that for what it's worth.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sources say Cam Johnson wanted 4 years/ $85 million.

I think 4 years/ $82 million would have got the deal done.

The Suns reportedly were offering 4 years/ $72 million.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking back, what was the difference in extending Joe Johnson, $5-10 million.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, looking back to 2021, Devin Booker's father, Melvin Booker, was one of Cam Johnson's agents.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if PHX made an offer? I didn't think they would with Sarver in process of selling team and chances are he is selling entire team not just his stake so other owners may not want to approve additional salary because it will eat into their profits.

We still control Cam so its not like we are in a bad spot. We don't know how well he'll handle starting and he could get injured. Also, he is still tradable so if PHX wants a more traditional PF or another piece, he along with Ayton are potential trade pieces at deadline.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor, innuendo and sources is all we get as fans.

I understand the Suns offered Cam Johnson 4 years at $72 million.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was hoping the Suns might be a contender this season. They still need to improve the team.
What does signing Cam to an extension have to do with this season. He is under contract, and he has not made a big deal about getting an extension at all. In fact when someone asks him about it he tries to change the topic.

I agree they need to improve the team, but it sure seems like there won't be much of an opportunity to do that till near the deadline.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What does signing Cam to an extension have to do with this season. He is under contract, and he has not made a big deal about getting an extension at all. In fact when someone asks him about it he tries to change the topic.

I agree they need to improve the team, but it sure seems like there won't be much of an opportunity to do that till near the deadline.

Has to do with a lot actually, how a franchise treats a player. Cam wants to be here, now with not extending him, maybe he changes his tune and decides to say to the Suns don't resign me. It's a players league. Cam seems like a nice guy but we also thought Crowder was a professional.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Gerald Bourguet put it succinctly.

Look here is how you have to look at it, the Suns are going to be over the tax threshold for the next few years no matter what deal they were going to sign him to.

Either the new owners will be fine paying tax or they won't. Odds are pretty high anybody paying the highest price ever for a team is doing it to have an NBA team as a toy and not as a money making investment, so I would say the odds we get owners willing to pay the tax is quite high.

I would agree if Sarver was going to continue to be the owner we made a mistake, and should have signed him. But he isn't, so thinking in those terms doesn't make sense anymore.

We will be over the cap no matter what with Booker, Ayton, Mikal, and Cam on big deals. Worrying about if the Suns screwed themselves by 10 million a year on the contract is meaningless to us as fans because it is not going to affect who the team will be able to get as players since we are already cap constrained, and will be unable to sign any free agents due to NBA rules.

What is far more important is getting the most out of our trade and draft assets, that is what will determine if we are going to have success or not.

That is why IMO we should be far more worried they are going to give Crowder away in a fire sale just to get it over with than anything else right now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has to do with a lot actually, how a franchise treats a player. Cam wants to be here, now with not extending him, maybe he changes his tune and decides to say to the Suns don't resign me. It's a players league. Cam seems like a nice guy but we also thought Crowder was a professional.
No it does not. Cam would not be getting his extension money this year no matter what. This does not affect him unless he gets injured severely enough he cannot collect this type of contract in the future. But even if that happens is he going to be pissed at the new owners about that - NO. He will blame Sarver.

The franchise ownership is changing. Players are not idiots and neither are their agents, they are not going to hold it against new management what the previous ones did.

Unless you really believe James Jones is the one who was against paying Cam the 85 million, which I highly doubt is the case.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Presuming players are content and the chemistry is fine is just that, a presumption. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Deandre Ayton is coming off a contract dispute, Jae Crowder has demanded to be traded and the Suns did not extend their starting power forward.

Do you feel the chemistry coming into the season is as good as last season?

Personally, I don't, but I'm hoping it all comes together.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look here is how you have to look at it, the Suns are going to be over the tax threshold for the next few years no matter what deal they were going to sign him to.

Either the new owners will be fine paying tax or they won't. Odds are pretty high anybody paying the highest price ever for a team is doing it to have an NBA team as a toy and not as a money making investment, so I would say the odds we get owners willing to pay the tax is quite high.

I would agree if Sarver was going to continue to be the owner we made a mistake, and should have signed him. But he isn't, so thinking in those terms doesn't make sense anymore.

We will be over the cap no matter what with Booker, Ayton, Mikal, and Cam on big deals. Worrying about if the Suns screwed themselves by 10 million a year on the contract is meaningless to us as fans because it is not going to affect who the team will be able to get as players since we are already cap constrained, and will be unable to sign any free agents due to NBA rules.

What is far more important is getting the most out of our trade and draft assets, that is what will determine if we are going to have success or not.

That is why IMO we should be far more worried they are going to give Crowder away in a fire sale just to get it over with than anything else right now.

Again, we can only guess at the mindset of the new owners. We will have to deal with that when it happens.

My concern right now is the Suns fielding a contender for this season.

So I'm more concerned about the chemistry of the team and whether the Suns will replace Crowder with a rotation player and fill their open roster spot with another useable asset. The Suns have the taxpayer MLE if they choose to use it.

Rightly so, we should be concerned the Suns are in cost saving mode.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Again, we can only guess at the mindset of the new owners. We will have to deal with that when it happens.

My concern right now is the Suns fielding a contender for this season.

So I'm more concerned about the chemistry of the team and whether the Suns will replace Crowder with a rotation player and fill their open roster spot with another useable asset. The Suns have the taxpayer MLE if they choose to use it.

Rightly so, we should be concerned the Suns are in cost saving mode.
It wouldn't be Phoenix Suns basketball without a preseason Ulcer.
I may have to stop by a dispensary, every day that goes by without something getting done makes me want to ragequit into a GSW jersey.