Can a Rookie Revamp the Cards’ Safety Lineup

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I know that Rome wasn't built in a day, but the people building it, were lucky that this Board wasn't tracking their progress.
Right? If any of these guys were Caesars, every engineer in the empire would have been executed before the aqueduct were complete

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does it? Then what’s your point? I’m not asserting that the depth is bad.
Only one can draw both positives and negatives from games yet to be played.

I think what was implied is the team addressed the lack of depth from the previous year. There is no doubt that is the case.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Only one can draw both positives and negatives from games yet to be played.

I think what was implied is the team address the lack of depth from the previous year. There is no doubt that is the case.
I don’t believe lack of depth was the challenge in the team’s 4-13 record in 2023.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Interesting comment.

When injuries started the impact was noticeable.

The lack of depth certainly contributed to our won loss record.
Do you have specific examples? We won 1 of our first 9 games and 3 of our last 8.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are the depth players you’re so excited about?
Trey Benson
Darius Robinson
Zay Jones
Tip Reiman
Kevin Beachum (although he has been here for a while, he is considered depth after signing Jonah)
Dadrion Taylor - Demerson

Most are on the offensive side of the ball, but our offense is clearly more stacked with talent at the moment.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do you have specific examples? We won 1 of our first 9 games and 3 of our last 8.
White, Wilson, Baker and Brown off the top of my head. I want to say by year’s end the DL was a hodgepodge. We had a rookie CB out for a bit as well.

So you think the team W/L wasn’t impacted by injuries?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
White, Wilson, Baker and Brown off the top of my head. I want to say by year’s end the DL was a hodgepodge. We had a rookie CB out for a bit as well.

So you think the team W/L wasn’t impacted by injuries?
No. Yes, Kyler’s injury obviously but I don’t think having Hollywood or Michael Wilson in those games changes the final score.

The DL was a hodgepodge at the beginning of the season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Trey Benson
Darius Robinson
Zay Jones
Tip Reiman
Kevin Beachum (although he has been here for a while, he is considered depth after signing Jonah)
Dadrion Taylor - Demerson

Most are on the offensive side of the ball, but our offense is clearly more stacked with talent at the moment.
I’m not going to argue with the players you’re excited about, but I’ll say last years rooms were arguably deeper Week 1 at these positions:

TE: Ertz, McBride, Swain, Higgins
WR: Brown, Wilson, Moore, Dortch, Pascal

WR is maybe about the same. No question our top 3 DL are better this year than last, probably off-ball linebacker also.

Biggest potential come-up is at corner. That’s entirely projection at this point. I don’t think SMB is much better than Antonio Hamilton.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not going to argue with the players you’re excited about, but I’ll say last years rooms were arguably deeper Week 1 at these positions:

WR is maybe about the same. No question our top 3 DL are better this year than last, probably off-ball linebacker also.

Biggest potential come-up is at corner. That’s entirely projection at this point. I don’t think SMB is much better than Antonio Hamilton.
I agree we were deeper at TE, but not much. We are much deeper at DT and arguably at Edge now. Deeper at S and probably Corner too. Deeper across the interior of the OL as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree we were deeper at TE, but not much. We are much deeper at DT and arguably at Edge now. Deeper at S and probably Corner too. Deeper across the interior of the OL as well.
Wait—how are we deeper at edge? Because of Xavier Thomas?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait—how are we deeper at edge? Because of Xavier Thomas?
and Darius Robinson. He will be used there sporadically. We weren't deep at all to begin with, but we added someone in the first round that should see some snaps there.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Good position..except...

That one big dude we drafted, swapping him out was like upgrading two positions... one upgrade simply by keeping him off the field, the other by replacing him with an actual football player.

Fotu, yeah... Leki Fotu... it was addition by subtraction simply by letting him walk... replacing him with an average player is similar to replacing an average player with an all pro on the improvement scale.
Dude couldn't get past a sixth grader on skates...couldn't move a paraplegic in a wheel chair...and often seemed to actively help the offensive lineman put him in the best position for the RB to get through the hole.
Dude, I shyte you not... I'm nearly sixty...in the worst physical condition of my life, and have a bad ticker...but I would bet a years salary against a dime that for 15 to 20 snaps a game I could produce better than fotu... I might have a bad heart but at least I got one.
Dude is a coach killer. All the physical tools in the world, looks the part...but that Tarzan doesn't even play like jane.... I'm so stoked he is gone.

Imo, Stills, that sixth rounder from last year... is going to be a defensive cornerstone for us. He had a good rookie season, should improve this season...and by next season should be a guy that can start anywhere in the league.