Cardinal History

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The 71 season was so frustrating. We fired Charlie Winner after an 8-5-1 season in 1970. We hired Bob Hollway, former DC of the vaunted Purple People Eater Vikings teams. He tried to make us a defensive team & almost ruined Jim Hart. Thank God Coryell resuscitated his career. The 71 & 72 Cardinals were the most boring Cardinal teams I remember & went 4-9-1 both years. Good riddance after 72 & Coryell era started in 73.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cardinals had some really good teams in the late 60’s. They were 8-5-1 in 66 & had high expectations for 67. Then, 2 DAYS before the preseason opener, our star QB Charley Johnson and our best LB Larry Stallings were inducted into the Army. Like WTH!! They still finished 6-7-1, but that was a team with the talent to win 10 games. And they went 9-4-1 in 68, when they won 8 of their last 9 games, but missed winning the division by a half game. Moral of the story is that we have ALWAYS been a cursed franchise ugh!!!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I remember that game. Steelers were awful back then & we marched up and down the field only to settle for FG’s. Some things never change lol. Cardinals had a very good team in 67. We were like 7-1 & Charlie Johnson broke his leg. Our backup was some scrub named Terry Nofsinger. Hard to fathom this, but he was even worse than Lindley. BB was too damn cheap to go out and find us a decent backup, whereas Lindley was actually our 3rd stringer. And the Cardinals actually could have made noise in the 67 playoffs. We pretty much lost out & missed the playoffs.
My dad always said if he had to put his life on making a field goal he wanted Jim Bakken to be kicking it. He came into my wife's office on e but she didn't know who he was and found out later. I told her he probably would have been shocked to find out we're all cards fans.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That 70 team was one of the best of my lifetime. Probably more balanced than any of Coryell’s teams. Definitely better than the 2008 team that went to the SB. Without Warner, the 2008 team probably goes 5-11. If we had stayed healthy, BA’s teams from 2013-2015 were championship mode teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the NFC Championship, this is probably the 2nd greatest/most entertaining moment in AZ Cardinals history.

23-3 3rd Quarter lead. Won the turnover margin 0-6. The Bears didn’t score an offensive touchdown coming back from down 20.

And led to an incredibly hilarious night on the board.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22