Cardinals at Bills gameday thread 9-8-24

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me this was the biggest disappointment of the game. With the players who the Cardinals brought in via FA I had hoped at least the rush defense would look somewhat better. Yet they still got gashed in the run game.
I have no idea why people thought relative journeymen were suddenly going to make a difference with the line. Neither of those guys they brought in were difference makers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I have no idea why people thought relative journeymen were suddenly going to make a difference with the line. Neither of those guys they brought in were difference makers.
I guess the idea was that the guys that played major snaps on the interior D-line were off the street FA's, and most are out of the league now, so getting a rotation level questionable starter would be enough to see improvement. Certainly wasn't the case the first game, and freaking ROY LOPEZ showed out more than any other d-lineman. It's a joke.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't blame this on Kliff.
You must be registered for see images attach

It was smart of Kliff to spam passes to DHOP his first game with Kyler and no preseason.

Hindsight but as good as the first half was I wish there was more of an emphasis on Marv.

We knew the Bills were gonna make a run eventually. Wish they had a rhythm/trust to close. Maybe next game.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've said a bunch of times he's looked changed and I had high hopes for him.

He just didn't play well.
Oh my god I’m shocked a guy seeing his first action all season didn’t play perfectly! Show us all the QBs that killed it week one with zero preseason snaps….

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It's not all on Kyler, no. There's plenty of blame to go around, in the coaching staff and on both sides of the ball. However, when your QB has a 2nd half like that, and is awful in that half, he shoulders a lot of blame. A lot. He was not good in the second half, as not good as he was good in the first half.

I'm confident we'll see a better, more complete offensive performance this upcoming week vs. the lambs. Hang in there a be a little patient please my friend.

Because it felt like we could have won yesterday, losing that one was particularly awful I know. Everybody's frustrated.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ok, so he maybe had a split second - but to wind up for that long throw with D lineman bearing down on him he didn't after that split second.

If he had been looking at Harrisons direction after he sprung open things would have been different. It feels like bad luck. Of course if the tackle had done a better job that would have probably worked too.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For stopping the run journeymen can make a difference. It's pass rushing ability that makes you expensive.

Sadly they did not appear to help in the run game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wasn't expecting much from a pass rush aspect. However I thought they would be more effective at stopping the run.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm confident we'll see a better, more complete offensive performance this upcoming week vs. the lambs. Hang in there a be a little patient please my friend.

Because it felt like we could have won yesterday, losing that one was particularly awful I know. Everybody's frustrated.
Well probably, because despite what they said to the media they know they screwed up by never getting Harrison involved in the game.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Feels clear the game plan was ball control, dink and dunk, protect your defense by keeping them off the field. That worked great in the first half, and should have been adjusted in the 2nd half when it was clear that running Conner on first and second was a total waste of downs, resulting in third and longs that were heavily blitzed and Beacham couldn't hold up.

I think I like Petzing but man he had a bad 2nd half yesterday. And maybe he was pressured by JG to keep running the ball since JG saw how poorly the defense was performing and wanted to control the clock.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A fair take on Kyler:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
BRUH Dortch had eight (8) targets and MHJ had 3. James Conner had more targets than MHJ and Petzing hates giving targets to running backs.

Justin Jefferson was targeted six times by Sam Darnold in a game when the Vikes only had to throw the ball 24 times. That's a 25% target share!

There's something fundamentally wrong with an offense where Greg Dortch is getting a higher target share than Justin Jefferson.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can live with Murray not seeing MHJ based on the way the play flowed and then broke down for his reaction. What I can not live with is Petzjng not calling specific MHJ targets throughout the game. I don’t give a rats ass if MHJ was “clouded”. Figure it out, if not he will be “clouded” every game and never provide any sort of impact offensively. He was drafted #4 for a reason, day one WR 1. It’s time Petzjng and Murray figure that out. Bubble wrap comes off, get to know each other period is over. No more BS.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
BRUH Dortch had eight (8) targets and MHJ had 3. James Conner had more targets than MHJ and Petzing hates giving targets to running backs.

Justin Jefferson was targeted six times by Sam Darnold in a game when the Vikes only had to throw the ball 24 times. That's a 25% target share!

There's something fundamentally wrong with an offense where Greg Dortch is getting a higher target share than Justin Jefferson.
Don't get me wrong - I had plenty of problems with play calling/offensive design. My agreement was more to his point about where Kyler stands in the QB hierarchy - he's just not going to be an MVP level guy, and he's much more Kirk Cousins than Josh Allen. Sad but true.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can live with Murray not seeing MHJ based on the way the play flowed and then broke down for his reaction. What I can not live with is Petzjng not calling specific MHJ targets throughout the game. I don’t give a rats ass if MHJ was “clouded”. Figure it out, if not he will be “clouded” every game and never provide any sort of impact offensively. He was drafted #4 for a reason, day one WR 1. It’s time Petzjng and Murray figure that out. Bubble wrap comes off, get to know each other period is over. No more BS.
While I get what you are saying, an OC can only do so much. It comes down to the QB knowing he has to get certain players involved.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong - I had plenty of problems with play calling/offensive design. My agreement was more to his point about where Kyler stands in the QB hierarchy - he's just not going to be an MVP level guy, and he's much more Kirk Cousins than Josh Allen. Sad but true.
I wasn't really replying to that video. I said that Kyler is in the Lawrence/Cousins/Tua tier of QBs on the game thread yesterday (or somewhere). He is 14th in passer rating and DVOA today against a defense that projects as fairly mid (the DVOA folks have them projected as 11th in the NFL).

DVOA says Kyler had a 97 passing DYAR in the first half but -73 in the second half.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
There's a massive amount of cope around this.

20 out of 32 starting QB's in the league see MHJ on the 2nd read, take two steps to their right to relieve the pressure from the edge, and find Marv downfield. It's an average NFL throw.

If any other QB in the league did this we would all be laughing at them.

On top of all that, I think coming off a wide open Dortch for a 1st down was poor too. Top 10 QB's are changing their arm angle and finding him.

I believe this is the right take. Dortch is open at the first down marker but the guard and safety are in his line of sight. Ppl can call the height argument lazy but it will always affect his vision from the pocket probably 15-20% more for a short QB.
You must be registered for see images attach

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
While I get what you are saying, an OC can only do so much. It comes down to the QB knowing he has to get certain players involved.
Agree the OC can call the play to MHJ, but the QB can really do what he wants when the ball is snapped. I hope this week they make significant strides on fixing this.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser