Cardinals Free Agent Targets

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
i don't think it all that hard to find a person to kill drives and have penalities. that is the problem with this franchise. the thinking of who going to replace a player that doesn't perform up to expectation. so let keep a person who can cost a us a game or two a season. i thought that is why everyone was calling for dennis green head. because he didn't perform up to his and everyone expectations. he cost us a few games. it is time to get the right frame of mind when you want to start competting and winning. i won't have an idea who going to replace leonard davis until after the superbowl. there are a few players out there that all they need is a chance to prove themselves.

Please provide an example where Leonard Davis "cost us" a single game in '06...please. As was pointed out by others he isn't a drive killer...it just seems like irrational dislike of a player with nothing to back it up.

Leonard Davis was playing a high level of football pretty much the entire season, but hey lets get rid of him and replace him with any guy who wants to play.

How will getting rid of Davis get this team better? please explain.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't think it all that hard to find a person to kill drives and have penalities.
No, that's not hard. It's hard to find someone who can pretty consistently keep the RDE out of the backfield.

Keep Davis AT ALL COST.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
we can kiss asante samuel goodbye. no way he signs with us. he just made himself a ton of money with that pick and score.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It'd be a very long shot. NE is not gonna let him go.

NE lets good players walk all the time. Bellichek is adamant that its the system and not the players. Said it many times.

Reaction score
we really should pursue samuel at all costs. just watch that pick and score and ask yourself if rolle/green would make that play?

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know if Rolle/Greene would have made that play. I do know that under their old coach they wouldn't have been near the ball.

Isn't possible their poor play and positioning was a direct result of the terrible coaching they received?

az240z

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NE lets good players walk all the time. Bellichek is adamant that its the system and not the players. Said it many times.

They aren't letting him walk. I hope you're right though, Shane.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we can kiss asante samuel goodbye. no way he signs with us. he just made himself a ton of money with that pick and score.

He'll make a ton of money based on how he played this season. That pick was not exactly sensational. Manning stared down Harrison the entire play. Peyton looked like he was doing his impression of Jake Plummer as a rookie on that throw.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this board tends to exaggerate the merits of the prospective free agents. According to one poster, Asante Samuel can "shut-down" half of the field" and sounds like the second coming of Deion Sanders.

According to the original post Mike Gandy is a solid starter who is on the way out in Buffalo. According to another post he is one of the worst starting tackles in the NFL. He must be some place in between these two two. If anything he might be a good signing at the right price. Unfortunately, quality offensive linemen, especially tackles, are paid at a premium. He will probably be overpaid if he is to hit the open market.

The fact is that the team has alot of cap space and must spend a significant portion of the cap space. Not because it is best for the team, which it is, but because it is an NFL mandate. I guess the question remains, On who should the team spend this surplus?

I do like Asante Samuels. I think that franchising Leonard Davis is the smartest thing to do. If for no other reason than giving the line continuity. IF he is franchised, this will allow the cardinals to decide what they are going to do with the offensive tackle position for one more year and not force the team into starting a rookie at Left Tackle. I think the EJ Henderson would be a good addition. I remember he was very highly touted out of Maryland when he was drafted. I would think that he could take over for Huff and probably be alot better at shedding blockers. I really like the idea of signing a guy like Eric Steinbach. I know that Leckey had a pretty decent season when he played, but if you have the opportunity to really upgrade a very important position on the offense and you have the cap space to do it, I say you go for it.

Any CB that gets 10 picks and returns 3 for touchdowns would be considered a shut down corner. Opposing offenses would look to the "weaker" side when game planning against him, much the same way teams did when AW played for us. Thus shut down half the field.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They aren't letting him walk. I hope you're right though, Shane.

You may be right. However NE has shown several times that they will not pay inflated slaries.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
New England could let Samuel go and replace him with one of those two first rounders they have. That seems to be the Patriot way.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please provide an example where Leonard Davis "cost us" a single game in '06...please. As was pointed out by others he isn't a drive killer...it just seems like irrational dislike of a player with nothing to back it up.

Leonard Davis was playing a high level of football pretty much the entire season, but hey lets get rid of him and replace him with any guy who wants to play.

How will getting rid of Davis get this team better? please explain.

i can remeber most of these poster wanting to can davis during the middle of the season. i can also remeber davis getting two false start penalities in a row and then a holding penality to kill a scoring drive in the redzone which cost the cardinals the game. what i can't remeber is who we played. i can understand having a bad game in someone elses stadium. stuff like that happens to the best of them. this was a home game. stuff like that should never happen. do you think he worth the big money that they are going to have to throw at him if they franchise him or have to resign him. if the cardinals resign him, that means he will be with the team for at least another 4-5 years. is that the kind of player you want for another 4-5 years. this guy hasn't lived up to his expectations. he never made a pro-bowl. he paid like a pro-bowl player and nothing in return. everyone wants to say well walter jones and orlando pace have been taking that spot. well what has leonard davis been doing to change that. apparently nothing. he was named an alternative last season. whoopy do. davis doesn't meet his billing, so it is time to move on. find someone who does meet the billing.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
i can also remeber davis getting two false start penalities in a row and then a holding penality to kill a scoring drive in the redzone which cost the cardinals the game. what i can't remeber is who we played. i can understand having a bad game in someone elses stadium. stuff like that happens to the best of them. this was a home game. stuff like that should never happen. do you think he worth the big money that they are going to have to throw at him if they franchise him or have to resign him. if the cardinals resign him, that means he will be with the team for at least another 4-5 years. is that the kind of player you want for another 4-5 years. this guy hasn't lived up to his expectations. he never made a pro-bowl. he paid like a pro-bowl player and nothing in return. everyone wants to say well walter jones and orlando pace have been taking that spot. well what has leonard davis been doing to change that. apparently nothing. he was named an alternative last season. whoopy do. davis doesn't meet his billing, so it is time to move on. find someone who does meet the billing.

Of course you can't cite specifics because there was no game this season where the Cardinals lost because Leonard Davis was on the field.

Where does it say he will get a 4-5 yr contract? If he is franchised it only has to be for a 1 year contract. Then if the Cardinals find someone who they are confident enough to replace him he can walk in '08.

Do I think he is worth $11 million for 1 year? Absolutely, especially when you consider we have nobody available to replace him. The offense finally was playing well the last half of the season when the OLine was set and playing consistently, now you (and others) want to jack that up and start all over at square 1 again next season. It makes no sense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Vinny, read Michael Lewis's The Blind Side. Left Tackle is one of the hardest positions in the NFL to fill. According to the players and coaches in the NFL, Leonard Davis is one of the top 6 tackles in the NFC. Those guys are hard to come by. You don't let them go without a solid plan in place to replace them.

Letting "cancers" and "drive killers" leave without a plan is what lead us to letting Jake Plummer, David Boston, and Thomas Jones leave the same offseason. What did that lead us to? A 3-13 record. Pretty good idea, right?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Letting "cancers" and "drive killers" leave without a plan is what lead us to letting Jake Plummer, David Boston, and Thomas Jones leave the same offseason. What did that lead us to? A 3-13 record. Pretty good idea, right?

Good riddence to those three. What, we would have been 4-12 with them instead????

Jones resurrected his career - good for him. He was worthless while he was here and spent a few more years being a bottom feeder RB before coming to life in Chicago.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Good riddence to those three. What, we would have been 4-12 with them instead????

Jones resurrected his career - good for him. He was worthless while he was here and spent a few more years being a bottom feeder RB before coming to life in Chicago.

This is about the most ignorant thing that I've ever seen on this message board. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
This is about the most ignorant thing that I've ever seen on this message board. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Please stop with the drama. If disagreeing with you means a person is ignorant, then that means you are the only non-ignorant person here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Please stop with the drama. If disagreeing with you means a person is ignorant, then that means you are the only non-ignorant person here.

No, he spent one season between Arizona and Chicago, when he rushed for something like 4.5 YPC in December when he was named the starter over Michael Pittman. He signed a big free agent contract to play for Chicago the next season, when he was the only offensive threat, then he exploded for borderline Pro Bowl production the last two seasons.

When were the parts where he "spent a few years being a bottom feeder RB before settling in Chicago"? Oh, there weren't any.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
No, he spent one season between Arizona and Chicago, when he rushed for something like 4.5 YPC in December when he was named the starter over Michael Pittman.

Since you love stats, let's look at Mr. Jones' so-called magic December in Tampa. He only rushed for 100 yards or more in ONE game - against a dreadful Houston team. The other three games he rushed for 89, 73 and 68 yards. Whoopie. Funny that you failed to mention the amazing 11 yards in 7 carries performance on Nov 30 against a 3-win Jacksonville team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan