Cardinals | Green lashes out at Leinart

leinart7

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Bad news all around on this one.

You can say good for DG...but, really, airing his frustration with contract proposal details to the media is poor judgment and a huge mistake.

Obviously the Condon camp is hung up over some of the language in the contract proposal...it may have nothing to do with the $14M up front.

Not to say that Condon is right...in fact, this holdout creates more bad publicity for Leinart than anything else...who is being perceived, justly or unjustly, as wanting to be given special treatment...special considerations...after all, he is "Matt Hollywood."

As I said in earlier posts, Leinart's image...and the perception of his image will be something he will have to deal with, especially now that the spotlight is all on him as the lone remaining unsigned draft pick.

For DG to blast Leinart publicly today...how will his Cardinal teammates react to him now, if and when he does get into camp? Many of you have already said that they would be cool about it. You still feel that way now?

This is a lose-lose situation...DG loses for exercising poor judgement...and ML loses for the inevitable hits on his growing reputation for being Hollywood around the league.
Green execised GREAT JUDGEMENT he made it clear the Cards have offered a great deal and that's it. Take it or leave it. This can't drag out all pre-season its ridiculous and distracting.

He has made it clear the Cards are not at fault and if Matt doesn't want to play here for 14 million then he can go back in the draft or hold out or whatever he wants to do. But the gameplaying, the leaks to Yahoo, all the head games stuff is over now.

Green did this on purpose it was great judgement. It makes the Cards look good and makes Leinart/Condon look bad. It tells the fans these are not the same old Cards - it's the same old Condon.

Everything was perfect this offseason except this and he wants to make sure people know it's not the Cards doing. Which is exactly what Condon's rumors to Yahoo made it seem like. That was his ace pressure us due to the great offseason we had. Bad strategy Condon!

Last edited:

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Per usual you find fault with anything DG does.... I'm with him 100% on this one. It's nice we have a coach that doesn't sugar coat everything and make life to be all about sugar and sausages. We could go to back to the Dave McGinnis era where he conducted the orchestra as the ship was sinking.

My reaction is not out of spite for DG...it's out of common sense. How are DG's comments going to help the situation? They are not. It's not good judgment to blast any player in front of the media...or to give out contract proposal details...it's not! This is going to exacerbate the already acrimonious tensions between the club, the player and the agents...not to mention the reception Leinart will undoubtedly receive if and when he arrives at camp.

Has Leinart created this bull's eye on his back all on his own? I think he's made poor decisions and I have said so...which is why this has become a lose-lose situation.

Look, I want the Cardinals to finally get over the proverbial hump and start winning ballgames on a consistent basis. If DG is the answer, fine. He's done some very good things...today's eruption was not one of them. It will likely alienate both sides and prolong the holdout...and don't be surprised if Leinart takes the year off to re-enter next year's draft...he's not some indigent inner city kid...he comes from money and he can count on daddy to put him up in a nice apartment, fill the fridge with steaks and Heinekens, and sit with him on Sundays as they watch DirectTV.

The funny thing is...Leinart could still be the #1 pick in next year's draft...unless you think Brady Quinn has a better upside.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:
The funny thing is...Leinart could still be the #1 pick in next year's draft...unless you think Brady Quinn has a better upside.
He went from the #1 pick to the #10 pick in a year in which he played his team to the nat'l championship game...and you think sitting out of football a year is going to INCREASE his draft value?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Mitch said:

Matt would be insane to go back in the draft. That would be 2 straight years he declined to make an NFL salary. Plus, after this contract debacle, why in the world would anyone think he'd be a #1 pick considering he fell to #10 this year?

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
What is being overlooked here a little is that ML is just what 21-22 year old? This agent is a snake, just like most of them are. He is telling ML "we can get more, just hang in there. Look how Navaare looked, you will be playing behind Kurt wether you miss camp or not. And besides you are an NFL QB already, so dont sweat it". And ML is sitting there going "Well crap, I guess I hired you to handle this stuff so I will trust you". The agent doesnt care, he is getting paid one way or another whether ML trusts him anymore after this or not.

I think Denny did the right thing with this. He spoke to all of us who maybe doubted the team, and more important he spoke to ML. He just told ML to get is butt in gear and tell that agent to get it done, or you will be in my dog house all year whether we need you or not.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:

Well I honestly disagree with that. If Leinart lets Condon sit him out all year and re-enter the draft he will have missed 2 years of PRIME pay. Do you really think any team is going to be all that interested in drafting him first?

They know damn well what to expect, let's see I missed out on 2 years of prime NFL money, I want WAY more than Alex Smith got. and the reason Leinart fell this year was in part concerns over his past injuries, those concerns aren't going to go away. he'd still be a first rounder but I seriously doubt he's the first pick in the draft.

Unless he fired Condon and hired another agent who made it clear he wanted to get him signed before the draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DieHardCardFan said:
What is being overlooked here a little is that ML is just what 21-22 year old? This agent is a snake, just like most of them are. He is telling ML "we can get more, just hang in there. Look how Navaare looked, you will be playing behind Kurt wether you miss camp or not. And besides you are an NFL QB already, so dont sweat it". And ML is sitting there going "Well crap, I guess I hired you to handle this stuff so I will trust you". The agent doesnt care, he is getting paid one way or another whether ML trusts him anymore after this or not.

Condon's not getting paid until Matt signs.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Mitch said:
My reaction is not out of spite for DG...it's out of common sense. How are DG's comments going to help the situation? They are not. It's not good judgment to blast any player in front of the media...or to give out contract proposal details...it's not! This is going to exacerbate the already acrimonious tensions between the club, the player and the agents...not to mention the reception Leinart will undoubtedly receive if and when he arrives at camp.

Has Leinart created this bull's eye on his back all on his own? I think he's made poor decisions and I have said so...which is why this has become a lose-lose situation.

Look, I want the Cardinals to finally get over the proverbial hump and start winning ballgames on a consistent basis. If DG is the answer, fine. He's done some very good things...today's eruption was not one of them. It will likely alienate both sides and prolong the holdout...and don't be surprised if Leinart takes the year off to re-enter next year's draft...he's not some indigent inner city kid...he comes from money and he can count on daddy to put him up in a nice apartment, fill the fridge with steaks and Heinekens, and sit with him on Sundays as they watch DirectTV.

Who say's that wasn't the plan from the get go?

I can tell you this if he goes back in with a big enough offer on the table he'll fall a lot farther next time around.

That's why you pop the details out there, if I were the Cardinals I'd shout it from the rooftops, I'd post it on the internet.

At some point he's going to have to explain himself and when he does it'll be nice having something to compare what he says to reality.

He may well be aiming for going back to the draft and at some point you need to move on, maybe this was our version of sure you can do that, if you want to, let's find that out now not 6 weeks from now.

Mitch

Reaction score
Rivercard said:
Matt would be insane to go back in the draft. That would be 2 straight years he declined to make an NFL salary. Plus, after this contract debacle, why in the world would anyone think he'd be a #1 pick considering he fell to #10 this year?

I agree Rivercard. Totally agree. But, Leinart is a strange bird...he does things by feel...and isn't afraid to face the media...he may even think of himself as a media darling.

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
All this time, and I tell you the hangup is ML's father. This is just the kind of deal that is caused by a greedy father that doesn't get it. I do not think Condon's is problem.

Mitch

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Well I honestly disagree with that. If Leinart lets Condon sit him out all year and re-enter the draft he will have missed 2 years of PRIME pay. Do you really think any team is going to be all that interested in drafting him first?

They know damn well what to expect, let's see I missed out on 2 years of prime NFL money, I want WAY more than Alex Smith got. and the reason Leinart fell this year was in part concerns over his past injuries, those concerns aren't going to go away. he'd still be a first rounder but I seriously doubt he's the first pick in the draft.

Unless he fired Condon and hired another agent who made it clear he wanted to get him signed before the draft.

Russ...in theory, you are right on correct...but the NFL is a business of opportunists who want to win at any cost...hell, I wouldn't put it past Daniel Snyder to trade his entire draft to trade up to #1 to take Leinart.

Teams worried about his injuries would fell more comfortable knowing he's had a year off to train and strengthen himself.

Next year's batch of QBs is suspect...Brady Quinn is the bellweather cow...yeah, I think he'll look real good in Charlie Weiss' system and might even win the Heisman...but Matt Leinart looks like the better pro to me. Doesn't he to you?

DieHardCardFan

Dallas 2011
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Condon's not getting paid until Matt signs.

Yeah that is obvious, but he also knows he can get him signed at anytime. He is going to get paid! He is just hurting ML in hopes of making more off the kid.

leinart7

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Mitch said:

I guarantee Leinart won't be close to a top 10 pick next year.
Teams don't like contract headcases. Not only Quinn but lots of good QBs are coming out: Stanton, Brohm, T Smith etc.

If Leinart goes back in the draft he won't come close to 14 million next year and he probably won't go to a team with as good a Offense as ours. An offense tailor made perfect for him.

Leinart is not a slam dunk: weak arm, wanted to quit USC when he wasn't named starter, ripped Texas like a baby, choked on his pro-day, played with essentially an NFL O-Line, 2 NFL RBs, NFL WR, fired his agent cause was dropping in the draft according to rumors, etc

Compare him to Cutler who played with nobody at Vandy and told his agent I will sign for less to get into camp on time and who killed on his pro-day despite windy conditions and who unlike Matt did not shy away from doing the combine either.

QBs in the NFL can't be babies, quitters, chokers, criers etc QB is a leadership position where you need guys like Cutler who want to compete more then anything and don't whine about things guys who bring it big time.

Leinart needs to realize he's blowing his career here. It's very easy to disappear once you get labelled a malcontent.

I am a Leinart fan because he is on the Cards. The Cards come first they need to protect their cap. They can't be paying out an extra 6 or 8 million to an unproven QB that is money that could go to FAs and extended contracts for our good players - the Cards have already gone up an extra 2 million - but enough is enough.

You can't blow huge chunks of cap on unproven QBs - see the Browns for eg., it can damage a team for a long time.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Russ...in theory, you are right on correct...but the NFL is a business of opportunists who want to win at any cost...hell, I wouldn't put it past Daniel Snyder to trade his entire draft to trade up to #1 to take Leinart.

Teams worried about his injuries would fell more comfortable knowing he's had a year off to train and strengthen himself.

Next year's batch of QBs is suspect...Brady Quinn is the bellweather cow...yeah, I think he'll look real good in Charlie Weiss' system and might even win the Heisman...but Matt Leinart looks like the better pro to me. Doesn't he to you?

Why didn't Snyder do that this year when Matt was falling?

I'm not knocking Leinart he can ball, but my prediction all along was Leinart would fall on draft day because he's already had shoulder and elbow surgery, and he had some concussion issues last year. Personally I think that's what happened, the Titans SHOULD have picked him, but when they didn't he should have never gotten past #5 someone should have jumped up to get him. They didn't because of arm concerns.

Those concerns are always going to be there, Matt just needs to go out and play. I like the kid, I really do, but he's not making the right call here and if he really thinks going back into the draft is a smart move, he'll find out he's wrong IMHO.

But I don't think that's even remotely what their plan is, I think they just plain want too much.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
leinart7 said:
Compare him to Cutler who played with nobody at Vandy and told his agent I will sign for less to get into camp on time and who killed on his pro-day despite windy conditions and who unlike Matt did not shy away from doing the combine either.

QBs in the NFL can't be babies, quitters, chokers, criers etc QB is a leadership position where you need guys like Cutler who want to compete more then anything and don't whine about things guys who bring it big time.

I think they're looking for you on a Bronco board, 7. Why don't you go jock Cutler over there?

joko4

Registered
Reaction score
leinart7 said:
I guarantee Leinart won't be close to a top 10 pick next year.
Teams don't like contract headcases. Not only Quinn but lots of good QBs are coming out: Stanton, Brohm, T Smith etc.

If Leinart goes back in the draft he won't come close to 14 million next year and he probably won't go to a team with as good a Offense as ours. An offense tailor made perfect for him.

Leinart is not a slam dunk: weak arm, wanted to quit USC when he wasn't named starter, ripped Texas like a baby, choked on his pro-day, played with essentially an NFL O-Line, 2 NFL RBs, NFL WR, fired his agent cause was dropping in the draft according to rumors, etc

Leinart needs to realize he's blowing his career here. It's very easy to disappear once you get labelled a malcontent.
Especially, with 14 million dollars in your pocket.

Mitch

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Why didn't Snyder do that this year when Matt was falling?

I'm not knocking Leinart he can ball, but my prediction all along was Leinart would fall on draft day because he's already had shoulder and elbow surgery, and he had some concussion issues last year. Personally I think that's what happened, the Titans SHOULD have picked him, but when they didn't he should have never gotten past #5 someone should have jumped up to get him. They didn't because of arm concerns.

Those concerns are always going to be there, Matt just needs to go out and play. I like the kid, I really do, but he's not making the right call here and if he really thinks going back into the draft is a smart move, he'll find out he's wrong IMHO.

But I don't think that's even remotely what their plan is, I think they just plain want too much.

Excellent response, Russ. I have said all along that Leinart was making a big mistake by holding out. That said though, don't you think DG's public blasting of Leinart was poor judgment? Tell me like it is, Russ!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch said:
Excellent response, Russ. I have said all along that Leinart was making a big mistake by holding out. That said though, don't you think DG's public blasting of Leinart was poor judgment? Tell me like it is, Russ!

Look you know I'm not a Green fan, but no I don't think Green is wrong here. At some point Green has to act in the best interests of the team, and having Leinart playing catch with Az Hakim in LA is NOT the best interests of this team.

If Green felt we were lowballing him, he'd say so, he made it really clear. I don't have a problem with Green at all.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I was ML's agent I would be doing the same thing, delay the signing for as long as possible. There are only good things that happen for them by delaying (injury to Warner :stick: , or Navarre looks bad) which increase his value and $'s. They know that the contract dollars will probably not go down substantially, but there is a better upside for waiting.

DG is applying a little pressure, but in the long run, the best thing for Lienart's camp is to wait.

Sucks for the fans, though. However, his agent knows that all will be forgiven within days of the contract being signed.

The Shark

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Because $14 million is slightly less annually over six years than what Ernie Sims got and he's not a QB.
14 million is the guarenteed money. Sims got 12.2, Whitner 13.5.

Its more then enough.

Big Red Line

Veteran
Reaction score
lobo said:
ajcardfan said:
Good for Coach Green.

i totally agree...my guess is that DG expected that this deal was going to be announced TODAY and before he walked into the meeting he found out that it was not going to happen...DG is a smart guy and surely would not shoot his mouth off knowing that the deal was immenent.

Wise words. I totally agree.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
but why? - if a deal is about to get done, just wait until it's done, keep the high road in the press and just work the kid to death in practice a little bit - ride him in private

not sure what lambasting him in the papers does when all signs point to a deal being very close to completion

Maybe it is not close and that is why he is P/O

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
To me these comments didn't look like DG had gone off the reservation and said whatever he wanted. Look at the way the official web site has DG on its front page with an article about the comments, etc. It looks like they did it on purpose and they wanted DG to throw that number out there. It also looks to me like there is a huge rift and this thing is going into the late rounds. All this stuff about an imminent deal must have been BS.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05