Cardinals on the Clock?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-predictions-football-power-index-projections

ESPN has the Cardinals as the third best chance of earning the number one overall pick in next years NFL Draft.

Browns on the clock, again?
New quarterbacks, same results?

After a winless 2017 campaign, the FPI has labeled the Browns as the most likely team to earn the No. 1 pick in the 2019 draft, though frankly, a lot of the factors involved in that prediction can change substantially. Despite having Tyrod Taylor -- whom the model likes -- as their likely starter to begin the season, the Browns have a 14 percent chance to earn the top pick in the 2019 draft.

For Browns fans looking for some hope, there's this: The FPI currently considers Baker Mayfield the backup and treats all rookie quarterbacks the same. That's because there's quite a bit of uncertainty about quarterbacks who have never taken a snap in the NFL, but it also means that if Mayfield plays and plays effectively, that projection can change in a hurry. Of course, there's no guarantee that will happen.

Cleveland Browns 14% 48%
New York Jets 12% 43%
Arizona Cardinals 9% 37%
Miami Dolphins 9% 37%
New York Giants 7% 31%
Indianapolis Colts 6% 28%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6% 29%
Washington Redskins 6% 27%
Cincinnati Bengals 5% 27%
Chicago Bears 5% 27%

The Jets are in a similar situation, with Josh McCown labeled as the starter and Sam Darnold set as the backup. In the FPI's opinion, the Jets would be best off with Teddy Bridgewater starting under center, though it doesn't explicitly consider Bridgewater's injury.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suck for________?
I am not that familiar with this years draft class.

Bosa, Ed Oliver, Devon White, Greedy Williams, Jonah Williams... Not much of a ring to any of those though!

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we were 8-8 last year, with all the injuries to key positions, I just don't see how these talking heads think we be that bad.

But the Niners are all of a sudden good and are ranked 10th in their top teams to make the SB list on that same page while the Cardinals are at 29. Yet the Cards swept the Niners, once with Drew Stanton at QB. lol

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But the Niners are all of a sudden good and are ranked 10th in their top teams to make the SB list on that same page while the Cardinals are at 29. Yet the Cards swept the Niners, once with Drew Stanton at QB. lol
A meaningless win streak to end the season got their QB paid and hype train rolling this off season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If we were 8-8 last year, with all the injuries to key positions, I just don't see how these talking heads think we be that bad.

I don't think this is a talking heads thing as much as a statistical model that is VERY noisy right now.

ESPN's power rankings have us 23rd: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag.../nfl-power-rankings-risers-fallers-2018-draft
NFL.com's have us 27th: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ings-giants-climb-after-2018-draft-bills-drop

Basically, they computer model (I'm guessing) sees a starting QB that was injured after 1 game and a rookie behind him, plus an offense that lacked playmakers last year. Plus a defense that allowed a lot of points.

As Calvisi says constantly: No QB, no chance. Sam Bradford is a 7-9 champ, and we, on paper at least, have the worst QB situation in the division.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have the same opinion as you. People slam the offense, but I can't see the defense falling apart. If we stay healthy ... watch out NFC West.

I also have a gut feeling Bradford is going to play well and stun everyone. So, ..... I am ready for that KoolAid now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its not just ESPN, vegas has us marked as one of the worst teams as well.

I have said this before our Schedule is brutal - rated toughest in the league, we have an entirely new scheme on offense and defense with a first year head coach. Our depth is paper thin almost everywhere, and our starters are really mostly average overall.

It really is not reasonable to expect this to be a year where we have a winning record. Its not impossible if almost everything goes right - but it rarely ever does.

Reaction score
I have the same opinion as you. People slam the offense, but I can't see the defense falling apart. If we stay healthy ... watch out NFC West.

I also have a gut feeling Bradford is going to play well and stun everyone. So, ..... I am ready for that KoolAid now.

What most aren't realizing is we actually have one of the best QB rooms in the NFL. I would say a healthy Sam with Rosen as the 2 & Glennon as 3 is probably among the top 5. Granted Rosen is unproven but I don't think it's likely he'll fail.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What most aren't realizing is we actually have one of the best QB rooms in the NFL. I would say a healthy Sam with Rosen as the 2 & Glennon as 3 is probably among the top 5. Granted Rosen is unproven but I don't think it's likely he'll fail.

Yeah, I agree. It's all going to come out in the wash, but I've been far more pessimistic in past off seasons compared to this one. I like both Bradford and Rosen. They can both spin the ball and have good arms.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bosa, Ed Oliver, Devon White, Greedy Williams, Jonah Williams... Not much of a ring to any of those though!
Ed Oliver, man, I don’t see how he doesn’t become the #1 pick for the next draft. One of the best overall prospects I have ever seen.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Its not just ESPN, vegas has us marked as one of the worst teams as well.

I have said this before our Schedule is brutal - rated toughest in the league, we have an entirely new scheme on offense and defense with a first year head coach. Our depth is paper thin almost everywhere, and our starters are really mostly average overall.

It really is not reasonable to expect this to be a year where we have a winning record. Its not impossible if almost everything goes right - but it rarely ever does.

I think maybe that's a reflection of a lack of heat around the team than anything else. I'm as bearish on the 2018 Cardinals as anyone, but even I think 5.5 wins is a pretty tasty mark. But the under is -115, so it looks like a lot of the early action is also against them.

LOL. This is silly. It matters zero who your third QB is; you can't win with him. Sam Bradford is a loser. If you have the 25th-best starter in the NFL, it doesn't matter much if you have the #1 backup; your team isn't gonna be good.

Look at the New York Jets! They have McCown, Darnold and Bridgewater. It's not going to keep them from going 7-9. You can only play 1 QB at a time in the NFL.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The wild card is the new head coach and staff. They are an unproven group. Who really knows haw they will coach and guide this team?

I am convinced 6-10 is in the future.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You’re in a “select” group in the world that would name that a top 5 QB room.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re in a “select” group in the world that would name that a top 5 QB room.

just for frame of reference, you're talking to a guy who thought John Brown was just as good as Antonio Brown during last year's pre-season.

Cub thinks very very very highly of anyone wearing cardinal red.

Reaction score
I think maybe that's a reflection of a lack of heat around the team than anything else. I'm as bearish on the 2018 Cardinals as anyone, but even I think 5.5 wins is a pretty tasty mark. But the under is -115, so it looks like a lot of the early action is also against them.

LOL. This is silly. It matters zero who your third QB is; you can't win with him. Sam Bradford is a loser. If you have the 25th-best starter in the NFL, it doesn't matter much if you have the #1 backup; your team isn't gonna be good.

Look at the New York Jets! They have McCown, Darnold and Bridgewater. It's not going to keep them from going 7-9. You can only play 1 QB at a time in the NFL.

What is silly about it? I never said it mattered as far as wins & losses who your 3rd QB is. As far as 1 thru 3 we are better suited than most. What is hard to understand about that? Haven't we been on our #3 in the past? If it matters zero why comment?

Sam Bradford is a loser lol. We've had loser QB's in the past. Sam isn't a loser. Wager as to where he ends up league wise as QB this year? We can go by stats or wins losses. Or your famed website you always refer to for absolute say on how a player performed?

Reaction score
just for frame of reference, you're talking to a guy who thought John Brown was just as good as Antonio Brown during last year's pre-season.

Cub thinks very very very highly of anyone wearing cardinal red.

This is true (I did say a healthy JB in context with others) but I've watched Bradford his whole career. The guy can play. Not his fault he was plagued by injuries.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Guernsey said name your 5 better please.

Steelers
Redskins
New England
Ravens
Eagles

All have better starting QBs (most BY A MILE) and guys who've shown the ability to win games or hold their own or are rookies with major upside behind them.

No one would take our QB room over anyone above. Maybe the Ravens.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is true (I did say a healthy JB in context with others) but I've watched Bradford his whole career. The guy can play. Not his fault he was plagued by injuries.

You also believed for no reason whatsoever that JB would be healthy.

And it's still ludicrous to think even IF JB was healthy, he'd be one of the best WR OF ALL TIME, which is what Antonio is.

And Bradford is painfully mediocre his entire career even when on the field.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05