Cardinals: Please Claim QB Shane Boyd

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
Mitch said:
NYG S Quentin Harris...was a good special teamer and decent backup SS here.......

I sure don't get it; he was courted by NYG - they flew here and signed him to a decent two year contract. I guess all that the Giants loss was whatever signing bonus he was given plus the training camp paychecks. Perhaps it's just an insurance policy for them if they give him a spot on the practice squad.

It's a goofy business

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:shrug: New Orleans is going to cut Adrian McPherson in the next couple weeks after they can reach an injury settlement with him. I'd rather get that guy. Tons more potential.
Well... Yes and no! It depends on the role IMO.

If you're looking for a 3rd QB just to be a solid 3rd string QB, then I would go with Boyd. No doubt that McPhearson has bigger potential, but we're not looking for a guy that could develop into a starter. We're lookin gfor a guy that could go in and not lose the game in that one game, where's he's needed.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
BACH said:
Well... Yes and no! It depends on the role IMO.

If you're looking for a 3rd QB just to be a solid 3rd string QB, then I would go with Boyd. No doubt that McPhearson has bigger potential, but we're not looking for a guy that could develop into a starter. We're lookin gfor a guy that could go in and not lose the game in that one game, where's he's needed.

Have you read the rest of this thread? All things considered, McPherson is much more prepared to be "a guy that could go in and not lose the game in that one game, where he's needed" than Shane Boyd is. Shane Boyd hasn't done anything in the NFL. He was out of the league last year in his rookie season, and played in NFL Europe this offseason before being a camp body for the Steelers. How is this guy more prepared than McPherson to help a team right now?

The long and short of it is that if you want an emergency QB who's not going to lose games for you, then you're looking at Navarre--who's basically Dave Brown. If you want a guy who's going to not lose games for you and maybe deveop into someone you can trade away for something--like Aaron Brooks and Matt Hasselback and others were for the Packers, then Adrian McPherson is more likely to be that guy than Shane Boyd is.

Duetto

Rookie
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Honestly, I really don't care. I know that you're still stinging from your projected FB starter being summarily dumped before the regular season even begins. But doubt my football acumen.

I don't understand dogging McPherson and saying that "he's done" based on basically nothing except a sparkling audition in the Arena League and some mistakes that he made three years ago. There were a lot of people on this board who were hoping that the Cards would take Peterson with their 4th round pick two years ago. There's been nothing to change their minds.

And I'm not really that impressed with Shane Boyd. Yes, he looked good against our defense, but so did every quarterback we faced. Arizona was second from the bottom in the preseason in pass yards per game, trailing only Minnesota. Shane Boyd went 8 for 16 for 67 yards, a 4.2 YPA average, 0 TDs and 1 INT.

In Week 2, against Minnesotta--remember, the worst passing defense in the preseason, Boyd went 6 for 17 for 83 yards, no TDs and no INTs. 4.9 YPA average.

Week 3? 9 for 14 for 91 yards, no TDs, 1 INT against the Eagles.

Boyd didn't even play in the Steelers' final preseason game. I'm not ready to say that he's the next coming of anything, since I don't see him being all that superior to John Navarre. Seneca Wallace was a better preseason passer than Shane Boyd was.

So, no, I'm not really impressed with Shane Boyd's 46.5 passer rating this preseason against some of the crappiest passing defenses. Maybe the tape doesn't lie.

You could not be more correct about Boyd. He has some wheels, but he is in no way an NFL QB.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
if you want my opinion dave ragone is a better fit here arizona. he comes from a passing offense and has a strong arm and mobility. truthfully narvarre is better prepared to be the 3rd stringer than any of the mentioned. he been in green system now for 3 years and knows the offense and has timing with all the wr. he just has to step up when called upon. hopefully it doesn't come to that.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Well - perhaps the Cards felt as many of us do about Boyd, and NOT McPherson....:biglaugh:

K-9 must be kicking the crap out of his poodle over the news that we signed Boyd!!!

GreenCard

Reaction score
Let's hope Stout does'nt find out they signed Boyd when they could have had LeFors.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lefors got cut. the cardinals most definitly should have pick him up if that had happened.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still unresolved - Did we pick up Boyd to solely develop for the future? Or is he ready right now to replace Navarre?

My definition of "ready" is being able to come in at a moments notice, lead our team to a couple of scores and win at least half of those football games.

If Boyd (as well as Navarre) can't do that, will we make another move at QB?

Discuss.

(Note - Without knowing much about Boyd, the impression I get is that he's one of those Reggie McNeal/David Robinson type of athletes who can beat you with their legs. If he's also "QB's smart" and has even only an average arm, he still might fit the ideal profile of a relief pitcher who can rally his team to a few wins).

[/color]

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Still unresolved - Did we pick up Boyd to solely develop for the future? Or is he ready right now to replace Navarre?

My definition of "ready" is being able to come in at a moments notice, lead our team to a couple of scores and win at least half of those football games.

If Boyd (as well as Navarre) can't do that, will we make another move at QB?

Discuss.

(Note - Without knowing much about Boyd, the impression I get is that he's one of those Reggie McNeal/David Robinson type of athletes who can beat you with their legs. If he's also "QB's smart" and has even only an average arm, he still might fit the ideal profile of a relief pitcher who can rally his team to a few wins).

[/color]

gollin, with leinart injury, the cardinals need a qb for the scout team. take a look to see how many mobile qb that the cardinals will face this season. sometimes a player will come out of no where and surprise everyone. my take on the situation is just a body for the scout team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05