Cards 2007 draft pick: Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kiper has Joe Thomas as the number two college player on his top 25 senior list. He is 6' 8" 306 lbs. He blew out his ACL while playing against Auburn in the Capital One Bowl last year else he would have come out. He is now fully recovered. Here is what Kiper has to say about him:

I highlighted Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas last week, but if you want to be entertained by an offensive lineman, then watch Wisconsin the next time the Badgers are on television. He is fun to watch because he is just so good -- he's clearly the best offensive lineman in the country and is all but guaranteed to be one of the top picks in April's NFL draft.

I know its too early to talk draft picks and give up on the season. But the Cards biggest need will be offensive lineman to protect Leinart. Its hard to image a rookie qb winning many games. I know Rothlisberger did it but the Cards sure don't resemble the Steelers.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are going to be picking in the Top 8. Way too high to take this guy.

I want a playmaker like LaRon Landry. Posluzny (sp) would be nice at LB as well.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I want a playmaker like LaRon Landry. Posluzny (sp) would be nice at LB as well.

Both are good but IMO get the best OL out there and also go after OL in free agency. It starts in the trenches.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Both are good but IMO get the best OL out there and also go after OL in free agency. It starts in the trenches.

you're exactly right. this team has already been built with NEZ's mindset in place and see where it's getting us? killed. time to invest the money and draft picks in a line that can support the playmakers we already have. to do otherwise is wasting money and picks.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We've tried it every way.

I guess this team will just never win.

We've spent First Round picks on BIG, Shelton and Ernest Dye.....nothing we ever do works out for us.

We are doomed to always have a crappy OLine.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like linemen from Wisconsin never pan out?

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would take both of the Wolverines Tackles.....Riley and Long....and add them to this team right now. Take their Center Bihl, too. Can we trade with College teams??

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam Baker from USC is pretty good himself although I'm not sure if he's coming out.

Might as well surround Matt with players he's familiar with.

spanky1

Reaction score
I'd trade BJ to Philly for Winston Justice as our RT next year after the no trade moratorium on draft picks expires.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Posluzny has defninitely lost a step and his explosion.He may get it back but so may Lance Mitchell :( . Thomas would've come out last year but he was also playing on the DL for Wisconsin in the bowl game when he got hurt. I forget why he was playing there.I assume because of injuries but it's pretty bad to lose a guy for that reason.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd trade BJ to Philly for Winston Justice as our RT next year after the no trade moratorium on draft picks expires.

Is Justice hurt? He's been on the inactive list all season.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Posluzny has defninitely lost a step and his explosion.He may get it back but so may Lance Mitchell :( . Thomas would've come out last year but he was also playing on the DL for Wisconsin in the bowl game when he got hurt. I forget why he was playing there.I assume because of injuries but it's pretty bad to lose a guy for that reason.

I'd say the reason posluszny has lost a step is because he had to switch to middle linebacker this year. He's still adjusting.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Kiper has Joe Thomas as the number two college player on his top 25 senior list. He is 6' 8" 306 lbs. He blew out his ACL while playing against Auburn in the Capital One Bowl last year else he would have come out. He is now fully recovered. Here is what Kiper has to say about him:

I highlighted Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas last week, but if you want to be entertained by an offensive lineman, then watch Wisconsin the next time the Badgers are on television. He is fun to watch because he is just so good -- he's clearly the best offensive lineman in the country and is all but guaranteed to be one of the top picks in April's NFL draft.

I know its too early to talk draft picks and give up on the season. But the Cards biggest need will be offensive lineman to protect Leinart. Its hard to image a rookie qb winning many games. I know Rothlisberger did it but the Cards sure don't resemble the Steelers.

I cannot believe it is time to talk next years draft picks but it seems it is! Are our Ol really that bad? From our results it appears so but have they been coached properly? Do we have a game plan that uses their weakness and strengths? It is hard for me to fathom that a NFL OL can be this horrible without some help or no help from their staff. If we cannot block pass rushers why have we not put Kurt in a shotgun or have him roll out on occasion? Something is terrible wrong with this team and I think it starts with DG. I just do not think the guy is that smart. He seems to be wondering in the wilderness. So he had success in MN. That could have been because he had a very good staff and the GM brought in good players and he gets the credit? Something has to change. The Bidwills must be really embarrassed if not totally p----off.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We've tried it every way.

I guess this team will just never win.

We've spent First Round picks on BIG, Shelton and Ernest Dye.....nothing we ever do works out for us.

We are doomed to always have a crappy OLine.

What has been the one constant in the past decade? The only thing I can think of is Graves. I do not know what weight he had in making or not making picks for the OL? One thing that Green has not tried and many so called experts question is move Big to Guard. Why not? We cannot do any worse and might actually improve.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know its early to start talking about the draft. I'm not giving up on the season yet but I do follow college football and am somewhat of a draftnik. Additionally Kiper has his top 25 senior board being updated and Joe Thomas was highlighted.
Finally the Cards offensive line is perhaps the team's biggest problem as we have many threads on that. I don't know why we didn't go after any OTs in free agency or the draft. That surprised me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Wow, do you even follow the team? He definitely has not lost a step at all. He still plays like a beast. He was moved inside and Connor, I believe his name is, has taken over the LB position that gets to roam around more and make the plays.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What OL's from Wisconsin have been recent busts? I really don't know. Now, if you're talking DL's from Wisconsin, then yeah, they suck!

I guess OL wise it would be awhile but I was mainly joking about Wendell Bryant.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess OL wise it would be awhile but I was mainly joking about Wendell Bryant.

What do you have against Chris McIntosh??

That's the only 1st round OL I can think of from Wisconsin.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you have against Chris McIntosh??

That's the only 1st round OL I can think of from Wisconsin.

He asked for first round OL busts from there, I don't consider McINtosh a bust.

Mainly it's the Dl's from Wisconsin that bust.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He asked for first round OL busts from there, I don't consider McINtosh a bust.

Mainly it's the Dl's from Wisconsin that bust.

I guess I should have added this after McIntosh.....;)

Is that Center from Minnesota coming out?? Wait....I'll look it up myself. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05