Carson Palmer for MVP?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Absolutely. Cam being a great rushing QB opens up the offense. His average passing holds him back from the other QBs I've listed, IMO. All the receivers you mention, save Amendola, aren't currently playing in NE.

Cam is a very good QB and one that will most likely continue to get better, especially with Benjamin back next year.

Again, value is a difficult thing to objectively determine, but for me, Cam isn't having an MVP season. Has there ever been an MVP with anything close to being 29th in completion %, 18th in passing yards, tied for 6th in passing TDs, tied for 11th most INTs (10)?

The rushing stats are superb for a QB. #1 rushing (26 yards ahead of Wilson) and he has the most rushing TDs by far. Is this enough to offset the average passing stats?

I don't agree that he is the only offensive weapon in Carolina. Olsen and Stewart are having great years. Who knows what Olsen would look like with Brady as a QB.

I think that if you replaced Cam Newton's name with Andrew Luck's in the same position, he'd be a lock for MVP.

Just sayin'.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Don't think he'll win MVP, but he definitely should be Come Back Player of the Year:

That’s four major events that drastically impacted Carson Palmer’s career: being drafted by the Bengals as opposed to a more hospitable organization, suffering the serious knee injury during his first playoff pass, having his elbow fall apart, and being traded to the Raiders only for the people who acquired him to get fired within months. In each case, he ended up getting the short side of the professional/medical stick. It seems horribly unfair for a player who was such a bright star in 2005. There’s no guarantee that things would be any different for him, but if anyone deserves another shot at the same career given his talent level, it’s Carson Palmer. Circumstances that were mostly out of his control prevented him from becoming the player he seemed he could be.

http://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-carson-palmer/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't think he'll win MVP, but he definitely should be Come Back Player of the Year:

http://grantland.com/features/bill-barnwell-carson-palmer/

there should be no doubt or discussion about this. i can't imagine anyone saying he's not completely deserving of comeback player of the year.

and to be honest, if we had a better record then the Panthers, I'd give it to Carson, but that's the tie-breaker for me right now. They're both having dominant years, but at the end of the day, one has led his team to an undefeated season, the other has played great, but I think we can all admit that Palmer's mistakes at the end of the Rams/Steelers games were killers. In a race as close as this is, that's the difference for me.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's gonna strongly depend on how they both play the next 4 games IMO, can could struggle and lose a few never know, or Palmer could go nuts over the last 3 and put up 10 more tds and have dominate numbers! I don't think record should be the indicator, as let's be honest that Carolina defense has been scoring and winning quite a few games for Carolina against some sub par teams.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's gonna strongly depend on how they both play the next 4 games IMO, can could struggle and lose a few never know, or Palmer could go nuts over the last 3 and put up 10 more tds and have dominate numbers! I don't think record should be the indicator, as let's be honest that Carolina defense has been scoring and winning quite a few games for Carolina against some sub par teams.

the Panthers have scored 1 more defensive touchdown then we have... and we've LOST to two subpar teams, where Palmer was the primary reason down the stretch. And when it's super-close between players, I think the only thing that separates them is record.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not super close palmers numbers are far better, he just doesn't have an undefeated team. Palmers is over 4000 yards Newton isn't even 3000 yet, Palmer QB rating much higher, completion %, tds thrown, I mean palmers numbers are much better than newtons all around. Yeah the panthers are undefeated but GB and Seattle are the only two wins that are even somewhat impressive. Their schedule 27th ranked has set up for them to be where they are we had the 5th toughest and if not for letting two games get away from us... Whatever Palmer is absolutely having the better year, they will give it to Cam if they stay undefeated but it's not because he was the better QB IMO. Like I said that crazy defense they have helps them tremendously. They still beat a lot of teams on their weak schedule without cam IMO. Palmer is clearly mvp of our team and has been a top 3 QB all season Newton is flat out NOT, sorry 18th in passing, 15th in QB rating and so on, Newton is not on the same level as Palmer period! He's getting the nod right now because the team is undefeated, but their D IMO has much much more to do with that.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Brady would even be close if they didn't throw it 50 times a game and always try to give him the short passing tds instead of rushing the ball! Palmer well deserves it but unless Carolina stumbles the stupid media is gonna give it to Cam, which IMO is stupid. If your gonna base it on the best QB in the league right now that's Palmer! And Palmer is definitely the MVP of his team for sure. Cam could have took the day off against much of their schedule and they still probably win...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO an undefeated record is impressive, but it has to be looked at in context as well its against one of the easiest ranked schedules in the league. Where as we have played tougher opponents IMO. While not all having winning schedules their is little doubt just our division has some of the toughest Ds in the league. Not to mention niners, Vikings, Rams all in an 11 day stretch all physical Ds. I don't know but IMO Palmer has just had a fantastic season and to see him not getting the nod over a QB he has outperformed just over the team record is silly. Playing one of the easier schedules should be considered as well IMO.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
there should be no doubt or discussion about this. i can't imagine anyone saying he's not completely deserving of comeback player of the year.

and to be honest, if we had a better record then the Panthers, I'd give it to Carson, but that's the tie-breaker for me right now. They're both having dominant years, but at the end of the day, one has led his team to an undefeated season, the other has played great, but I think we can all admit that Palmer's mistakes at the end of the Rams/Steelers games were killers. In a race as close as this is, that's the difference for me.

Well, Eric Berry is playing lights out after coming back from cancer.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
That's the problem I see. Cam is already anointed and it's not going to change unless something really remarkable happens.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno...the media, as well as the NFL.....they like to see their MVP go to the SB....it may come down to who they think that is going to be.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I honestly don't care, but it does suck that Cam was chosen weeks ago and now it is a foregone conclusion. Carson will have to crush it these next three weeks in high profile games to even make it interesting.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
not to mention....just look at our w-l record with Palmer in the game vs anybody else...........this team flat out crashes without Carson...we would not even be an 8-8 team

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
not to mention....just look at our w-l record with Palmer in the game vs anybody else...........this team flat out crashes without Carson...we would not even be an 8-8 team

Yea but the said could be said for CAR without Newton.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Winning 24 of your last 28 starts tells me all I need to know. His stats are pretty amazing as well.

I thinks he's the MVP & I think peeps are selling Palmer short in his chances of winning it. 5,000 yards & 40 TDs is where he's headed, so I think it's 50/50 he wins it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I honestly don't care, but it does suck that Cam was chosen weeks ago and now it is a foregone conclusion. Carson will have to crush it these next three weeks in high profile games to even make it interesting.

Actually, weeks ago Brady had it won.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Don't know but CBPOY of the season and MVP of the Superbowl will do it for me.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If they had the most arrogant player award, Cam would win that too... I totally get celebrating a score and being happy but posing for the crowd even when you are not on the field is total showboating

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's over... And really, Carson never had a chance after losing to Pitt and St Louis...
It's Newton in a landslide!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't wait until his arrogant ass gets beat, at this point I almost hope they stay undefeated then get whacked in their first playoff game lol! Go ahead and get all full of yourselves feasting on garbage teams Carolina you haven't won jack yet! GB, Cards, Hawks, Giants, Minn, can all beat Carolina come playoff time no easy outs IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser