Carson Palmer for MVP?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Cam has it locked up at this point.

Leads the league in total TD's and wins. Even a bad game or two probably won't change the outcome and nor should it.

Palmer is either 2-3 depending on how he and Brady finish. Palmer has a lot of help with his weapons and dropped picks.

Antonio Brown should be top-5 as well.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Leads in total TDs???? I don't think so it took today's game from him to tie Palmer. It may be locked up but it's not based on numbers clearly as palmers are still much better.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Leads in total TDs???? I don't think so it took today's game from him to tie Palmer. It may be locked up but it's not based on numbers clearly as palmers are still much better.

Newton leads the league with 35 TD's. Brady could actually move ahead after tonight.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 3h3 hours ago
Chip asked if Cards are as good as any team Eagles have faced: "Yeah, they are." And "Carson Palmer should be in the discussion for MVP."

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I disagree that Carolina has an equivalent receiving corps — Amendola and Edelman would both start for Carolina walking in the door.

The rushing disparity is mostly about Tom Brady being a better passer and the majority of that difference is Cam Newton's rushing yardage.

If the Cards and the Panthers finish with the same record, is Carson your vote?

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cards and the Panthers finish with the same record, is Carson your vote?

As much as I think CP deserves the MVP, Cam has to be the front runner and should get it. Hopefully, CP sneaks it in somehow though

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you lose the best record in the league stat, you're relying on his rushing stats to make the case for Cam. Just not sure that puts him above guys like CP and TB and their pure passing stats.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As much as I think CP deserves the MVP, Cam has to be the front runner and should get it. Hopefully, CP sneaks it in somehow though

I am a bit old school on what a QB's actual job is...leadership,....ball distribution...

looking at the numbers CP is well ahead of CN

I guess one could argue that Cam would have been all world MVP prior to the forward pass...... but these days it is a passing game

if you look at both Carson and Cams stats over their last 32 starts...two full seasons..... Carson has the far superior numbers..... wins, yds, comp pct, QBR...........
much of the NFL awards are politics as well as play....and in that arena Carson and the Cards are peaking at the right time as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you lose the best record in the league stat, you're relying on his rushing stats to make the case for Cam. Just not sure that puts him above guys like CP and TB and their pure passing stats.

Why do rushing stats not seemingly count in your analysis? The guy is doing everything he can to move the offense down the field for TDs and that is the ultimate job of a QB, isn't? But in your analysis, you're also ignoring the fact that he leads on total touchdowns AND the fact that he's doing this with the worst WR corps in football. And we're seeing over the course of the season that his D is good, but they're hardly great.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's not my stance at all. I just don't think his rushing stats make up for his lack of passing stats when going through a most valuable analysis. If you want to look at total yards, he'd fall far below the top QBs. I think he's having a great season and will continue to improve, but he's not my vote for MVP. Most on here that supported Cam for MVP used the support of an undefeated season as support. I wanted to check back in to see if the loss has changed anyone's view.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a bit old school on what a QB's actual job is...leadership,....ball distribution...

looking at the numbers CP is well ahead of CN

I guess one could argue that Cam would have been all world MVP prior to the forward pass...... but these days it is a passing game

if you look at both Carson and Cams stats over their last 32 starts...two full seasons..... Carson has the far superior numbers..... wins, yds, comp pct, QBR...........
much of the NFL awards are politics as well as play....and in that arena Carson and the Cards are peaking at the right time as well.

I understand what you are referring to and yesterdays losses to the Falcons and Jets opened the door a little more Palmer. Politics will give it to Cam because he is always in the spotlight and CP is not (and Brady isn't really in the spotlight either). JMO

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not my stance at all. I just don't think his rushing stats make up for his lack of passing stats when going through a most valuable analysis. If you want to look at total yards, he'd fall far below the top QBs. I think he's having a great season and will continue to improve, but he's not my vote for MVP. Most on here that supported Cam for MVP used the support of an undefeated season as support. I wanted to check back in to see if the loss has changed anyone's view.

He'd far fall below? He's 250 yards behind Palmer but 7 TDs ahead of him. And again, I think you're ignoring that there's no comparison between the weapons he has and Palmer has. And even with the loss, they still have a better record.

So, Palmer's got more yards, but Cam has more W's, TDs and fewer weapons. That's why I think people are giving it to him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish people would stop saying he has no one to throw too! Olsen is a great TE, Ginn is having A good year, his RBs catch and run very well after the catch, even cotchery catches tough balls. Let not kid ourselves they may not be the best names around but he's got guys stepping up and making huge catches all the time, not to mention the rushing attack which is near the top in the league! Can is having a great year, but he is getting plenty of help. And when guys aren't making great plays like yesterday look how pedestrian Cam looked, even final drives of the game he was overthrowing and missing guys... He will win mvp as most have already decided but it's not a runaway win and one could easily make the case for Palmer leading the most COMPLETE team in the NFL!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wish people would stop saying he has no one to throw too! Olsen is a great TE, Ginn is having A good year, His RBs catch and run very well after the catcheven cotchery catches tough balls. Let not kid ourselves they may not be the best names around but he's got guys stepping up and making huge catches all the time, not to mention the rushing attack which is near the top in the league! Can is having a great year, but he is getting plenty of help. And when guys aren't making great plays like yesterday look how pedestrian Cam looked, even final drives of the game he was overthrowing and missing guys... He will win mvp as most have already decided but it's not a runaway win and one could easily make the case for Palmer leading the most COMPLETE team in the NFL!

Lol.

The only pass catcher from that team I'd want is Olson. Also let's not forget their best receiver got hurt in the preseason.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish people would stop saying he has no one to throw too! Olsen is a great TE, Ginn is having A good year, his RBs catch and run very well after the catch, even cotchery catches tough balls. Let not kid ourselves they may not be the best names around but he's got guys stepping up and making huge catches all the time, not to mention the rushing attack which is near the top in the league! Can is having a great year, but he is getting plenty of help. And when guys aren't making great plays like yesterday look how pedestrian Cam looked, even final drives of the game he was overthrowing and missing guys... He will win mvp as most have already decided but it's not a runaway win and one could easily make the case for Palmer leading the most COMPLETE team in the NFL!

I don't think it's a runaway, but I do give Cam the nod. And no, there's no comparison between having Ginn, Cotchery and Olson versus Fitz, Floyd, Nelson, Johnson, Johnson, Ellington etc. etc. and for all the talk about Cam's got the rushing attack near the top of the league, you have to acknowledge that CAM is one of the main reasons that rushing attack is amongst the top of the league, which is number 3. And it's not like Palmer doesn't have a great ground also considering we're number 6 there.

And your last statement is why I think Cam deserves it slightly more then Palmer. The fact that Cam doesn't have a team as COMPLETE around him, yet has more TDs/wins and right now the inside track to the best record in the league is what gives him the slight nod.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I feel like Carson is the engine that powers the very powerful Cardinals offensive train... but Cam is the whole train in Carolina's offense... Cam would get my vote.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree cheese Cam has had his best year and will get it, was just stating Palmer is right there with him. When do they give the award? After regular season or post season?

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I agree cheese Cam has had his best year and will get it, was just stating Palmer is right there with him. When do they give the award? After regular season or post season?

They vote after regular season, not sure when the announce it.. BA was complaining about that a week or so ago (thinking it should be after post-season).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

regular season.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just read Ginn had 11 TD receptions from 2007-2014 he has 10 already this season, he is having a great season and is their main deep threat. Figures he plays decent after being a total no show for us..,

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If C.P. had 4 or 5 TD last might maybe. Cam will win.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser