Carson Palmer for MVP?

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll trade the Lombardi trophy for any of the above mentioned accolades, as I'm sure all those in consideration would.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/12/07/the-nfl-mvp-no-one-is-talking-about/

if you think the MVP award should go to the best player, Palmer is certain worthy of the honor. If you think it should go to the player who has had the best season, Palmer fits there, too. Either way, Palmer needs to be mentioned more in the conversation.

Pretty nice article about Palmer and his numbers compared to the rest of the QB in the league.

on a neutral field we would expect Palmer’s Cardinals to be favored by 4.5 points over Newton’s Panthers (plus-7.5 SRS) and 2.6 points over Brady’s Patriots (plus-9.4 SRS).

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Gregg RosenthalVerified account
‏@greggrosenthal
Kurt Coleman has 50K more votes than Honey Badger in Pro Bowl voting. Almost 70K more than Earl Thomas.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
‏@greggrosenthal
Kurt Coleman has 50K more votes than Honey Badger in Pro Bowl voting. Almost 70K more than Earl Thomas.

I didnt know carolina has so many fans
I thought they were in the bottom in that category

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Cam Newton
2. Tom Brady
3. Carson Palmer
4. Antonio Brown
5. Andy Dalton

That list is pretty solid. I'd have to consider AP for #5 but I couldn't argue about that at all.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
‏@greggrosenthal

That's because he has 6 ints. Pro bowl voters look at stats or vote just for their teams players

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Listening to Movin the Chains on Sirius yesterday with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller and Kirwan had Tom Brady as his MVP for the first 9 weeks then slide Palmer into the top spot for 3 weeks and now has Newton there because of his last game. He also said all 3 are extremely close and Newton does not by any means have the MVP locked up. Right now Brady is third.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
re: Newton for MVP

this just feels like defining the MVP as "the QB of the best team in the league"-

Newton's QB stats are middle of the pack.

Everyone acknowledges that Carolina is a running game / defense oriented team. Cam does a really good job, but one gets the sense that Carolina might be a 10-6 team with their backup QB playing

and FWIW: I think that Brady might be the MVP ( and it pains me to say it) He has taken a bunch of journey man players on that offense and shouldered the entire load -- and put up great numbers while doing it

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
re: Newton for MVP

this just feels like defining the MVP as "the QB of the best team in the league"-

Newton's QB stats are middle of the pack.

Everyone acknowledges that Carolina is a running game / defense oriented team. Cam does a really good job, but one gets the sense that Carolina might be a 10-6 team with their backup QB playing

and FWIW: I think that Brady might be the MVP ( and it pains me to say it) He has taken a bunch of journey man players on that offense and shouldered the entire load -- and put up great numbers while doing it

I have to begrudge him the MVP at this point. To me, the MVP is the guy whose team tanks if he goes down. Carson Palmer last year should have been MVP by this definition, so let me add that they also need to be available the entire season to actually carry the team.

So with that said, I have no doubt Carolina is a marginal 10-6 playoff team (like the Vikings maybe?) without Newton's performance this year.

The Patriots, with their slew of injuries, are still a major playoff factor because Brady is carrying them.

The Cardinals obviously go as Carson goes. He is having his best season, but he hasn't had to deal with the adversity Brady is facing.

You could make the case that Jordy Nelson's injury proves that GB isn't all Aaron Rodgers (he isn't Brady).

Andy Dalton is having a great year, but is he carrying that team to their record? I think you could make a case for him too.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
IMO, Newton is not even the MVP of his own team. Luke Kuechly is more important/better at his position (I know I'm going to get blasted for the time Kuechly's been out with injury) than Cam is. Many other QBs in this league would be undefeated with the support of that defense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO, Newton is not even the MVP of his own team. Luke Kuechly is more important/better at his position (I know I'm going to get blasted for the time Kuechly's been out with injury) than Cam is. Many other QBs in this league would be undefeated with the support of that defense.

And Cam Newton IS THE OFFENSE. He's pretty much making it happen with nobody. I honestly thought when Benjamin went down they were going to struggle.

Yes Newton is the MVP this year he's playing great credit where credit is due

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Cam Newton IS THE OFFENSE. He's pretty much making it happen with nobody. I honestly thought when Benjamin went down they were going to struggle.

Agreed. And it's not MVQ... It's MVP and Cam with his 3500 yards total yards and 32 total touchdowns while leading the team to 30 ppg with virtually nothing on O and being undefeated makes him the MVP.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. And it's not MVQ... It's MVP and Cam with his 3500 yards total yards and 32 total touchdowns while leading the team to 30 ppg with virtually nothing on O and being undefeated makes him the MVP.

Agree with you 100% on this one. Palmer is second, no doubt. But really - Cam is the entire offense. His number 1 WR is Teddy Freakin Ginn!!!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm so sick of hearing Cards fans saying Scam is the MVP. :bang:

Support your freaking QB peeps!!! Palmer has done something I'm pretty sure no other Big Red QB has ever done & that's win 23 out of his last 27 games!!! I'm quite sure that's probably the best over that span as well. IMO he's the MVP of the NFL.

He's also going to be the franchises leading TD passer season leader after tonight's game, over #13. Palmer is also probably going to break every single passing record in team history as well. He's in the top 2-3 of almost every passing category in the NFL & even the great Kurt Warner didn't do that in AZ. He's having a dynamic season & directing the leagues most potent offense. He's the MVP of the NFL.

Palmers on a mission & throwing dimes every game!!! He's soon going to lead us to a Super Bowl Title. :D For the reasons stated Carson Palmer is the MVP of the NFL.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Shefter's so dumb. Check your facts, buddy: The Panthers are a perfect 11-1.

This comment cracked me up...

Dec 9
Jorge barragan ‏@Jmoneybarragan
@AdamSchefter do you think the car accident gave him super powers like Jessica Jones ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The entire offense? They do have the #2 TE in the league (#2 in yards and receptions).

Is Cam the #2 QB in the league? Cam is 29th in completion %, 18th in yards, tied for 6th in TDs, tied for 11th most INTs (10).