Casey going to Hornets

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0121sunstradeonline0122.html

The Phoenix Suns are closing in on a trade package that would have third-year swingman Casey Jacobsen going to New Orleans for 34-year-old Jim Jackson, according to industry officials.

The deal would likely include some other lower-paid Phoenix players to make the trade work under salary rules.

Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo and Jackson's agent, Mark Termini, were not available for comment.

This will be the 12th NBA team for Jackson, a 6-foot-6 wing player who was traded from Houston to New Orleans with Bostjan Nachbar for David Wesley on Dec. 26.

Unhappy with the deal, Jackson never reported and has sacrificed $27,500 per game while on suspension from the Hornets.

Jackson, a former No. 4 overall pick in 1992 by Dallas, had a poor reputation early in his career. As Jackson evolved into a role player in recent years, he has become known as a good teammate and dependable worker.

Jackson, in his 13th season, was averaging 13.3 points on 41.7 percent shooting (36.3 percent from three-point range and 90.9 percent at the free throw line) for Houston before he was dealt. His contract goes through next season, when he is due to receive $2.7 million.

Jacobsen, 23, has been Phoenix's sixth man and only wing player off the bench. He averages 5.3 points on 41.4 percent shooting, including 38.2 percent from three-point range. Jacobsen will become a restricted free agent after this season.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Jackson makes 2.4mil this year and 2.7 next year. With the trade exception we could make it work.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
GREAT! We trade a young swing man, for an old and creaky one! At least Casey ATTEMPTS to play defense! :cool:

Is this a deal to get a player, to replace JJ in another trade? If we trade JJ for Nene as a result of this trade, then I am OK with it. :D

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Since he was traded already this year is he even available to be trade again so soon?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Count me among those who say this is an outstanding deal. Just the type of scoring, defense, and toughness the Suns need off the bench.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Doesn't that leave us short on guards tonight against San ANtonio? :confused:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
If Casey isn't playing then we will know. This could open up some time for Barbosa to play some 2. Jackson can also play 3 if need be.

sunsfn

Reaction score
--------------------------------
The deal would likely include some other lower-paid Phoenix players to make the trade work under salary rules.
-------------------------

If they do not use the trade exception, who?
Barbosa is on injured reserve and can not be traded.

Jackson has always been an excellent player, just selfish when he was younger.

I remember the suns really liked him when he was drafted and the stories in the paper back then were that they tried to make a trade to draft him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If they do trade lower players to make this work, then we will be looking to use the exception to get another player to get us back up around 12 guys again. Right? :confused:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Why can't Barbosa be traded? Not that I want to trade him, but I'm wondering why?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Why can't Barbosa be traded? Not that I want to trade him, but I'm wondering why?
You can't trade a guy on the injured list until he comes off the list. :thumbup:

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Espn is reporting that it's Lampe, CJ, and Vroman for Jackson. If this is true, I do NOT like this trade. Jackson may be an alright player, but we need team guys, not people who won't do what the team tells them too.

-----

The Phoenix Suns are closing in on the acquisition of disgruntled New Orleans swingman Jim Jackson, league sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The trade for Jackson, expected to be finalized later Friday, would likely send three Suns reserves -- Casey Jacobsen, Maciej Lampe and Jackson Vroman -- to the Hornets. Jackson has has refused to report to New Orleans since he was traded by Houston for David Wesley just after Christmas.

The move has multiple benefits for Phoenix, which started the season 31-4 in spite of its serious depth shortage. Jackson, 34, would immediately give the Suns a veteran scoring option off the bench and also give coach Mike D'Antoni a ready-made replacement for Joe Johnson if the Suns can convince Philadelphia to part with center Samuel Dalembert in a swap for Johnson.

New Orleans, meanwhile, jumped at the opportunity to acquire three young players for Jackson, who made it clear that he was prepared to forfeit his salary (roughly $27,500 per game) for the rest of the season before he'd ever play a game for the Hornets.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If we get Dalembert as a result of these moves, then I am IN! :D I think Dalembert gets us the rebounding and defence we have needed in the middle for quite some time now! :thumbup:

scudney

Registered
Reaction score
I like this deal. I think it was obvious casey would not be around at the end of the year when the Suns didn't extend his contract. I think we needed another veteran player on the team.

But it makes you wonder.... is having JJ, Q, and Jackson on the team not a little redundant?

Edit: oh man, I just saw Carey's post. I don't like this at all now that we're giving up Lampe and vroman.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
scudney said:
Edit: oh man, I just saw Carey's post. I don't like this at all now that we're giving up Lampe and vroman.

This is bad on so many levels unless we get something else in return. I think Nachbar might pacify me, but Im not sure if that works under the cap.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yuma said:
If we get Dalembert as a result of these moves, then I am IN! :D I think Dalembert gets us the rebounding and defence we have needed in the middle for quite some time now! :thumbup:

The only issue I see with this is we will have to pay Dalembert the same as JJ and the team concept will be differnt and Mike's free for all will not work as well.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
we get Jackson:

makes up for loss of the versatility of CJ. Vroman, undersized and hardly used. Lampe, could be the biggest loss because of potential of this 20 year old. But Jackson makes us a better team now.

Overall, good trade for Suns. If this move was made to account for loss of JJ to get Dalembert, this is a GREAT move. ALso, Jackson has an aggressive scorer's mentality that JJ is lacking. :)

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Don't give up Lampe!!!!!

Jackson is not worth three players, I don't care who they are.

Other than that I think Jackson would be a good addition.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
We're already thin on front-court help, why send 2 of our forwards there for Jim Jackson? That leaves us with Voskhul, Hunter, Amare' and Bo? Not enough to compete in the playoffs in my opinion.

I know most will argue that those guys never play anyway, but as the season gets longer, and play gets more physical (and players more tired) they will be needed.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yuma said:
we get Jackson:

makes up for loss of the versatility of CJ. Vroman, undersized and hardly used. Lampe, could be the biggest loss because of potential of this 20 year old. But Jackson makes us a better team now.

Overall, good trade for Suns. If this move was made to account for loss of JJ to get Dalembert, this is a GREAT move. ALso, Jackson has an aggressive scorer's mentality that JJ is lacking. :)

The only issue is JJ will be playing for several more years. Jackson will be gone after his contract is up next year. And Dalembert is going to be gone as well when he hits the market.

sunsfn

Reaction score
3 for 1.........

Maybe a 2nd round pick back to the suns?? something?

Damn, that seems like a lot for Jackson.

I guess it depends on what value you place on the players going.

This also will mean we need a couple players back sometime.

We had 13, with Smush, now we will have 11........is that right?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
SweetD said:
The only issue I see with this is we will have to pay Dalembert the same as JJ and the team concept will be differnt and Mike's free for all will not work as well.

Dalembert runs well for a big man. So you would have Nash, Q, Amare, Dalembert, and the Matrix. I like that starting 5 better than what we have been playing. :)

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
scudney said:
Anybody know what Jackon's D is like? Average, below average?

He is a good Defender the only issue I see is can he keep up with this team