Casey going to Hornets

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
For those wondering about the exception, we cannot use it.

We cannot use 2 exceptions in one trade. Right now we are using the "within 15% + 100,000" exception, therefor we cannot use the trade exception.

An aweful lot to give for Jackson, makes me think something else is definitely in the works

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
SweetD said:
The only issue is JJ will be playing for several more years. Jackson will be gone after his contract is up next year. And Dalembert is going to be gone as well when he hits the market.

No way we trade for Dalembert without reaasurances of resigning him to a long term deal. Can you say Antonio McDyess. Not even a Collangelo makes that mistake TWICE!

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yuma said:
You can't trade a guy on the injured list until he comes off the list. :thumbup:

I get it now. If you want to trade a player on the IL you have to have an open roster spot so you can activate him first. I knew it was possible somehow because I see it happen all the time.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
For those wondering about the exception, we cannot use it.

We cannot use 2 exceptions in one trade. Right now we are using the "within 15% + 100,000" exception, therefor we cannot use the trade exception.

An aweful lot to give for Jackson, makes me think something else is definitely in the works

Especially if we give up two front court and arguably 3 front court guys if you count CJ when he plays small forward. Wanna bet we make a trade for a front court guy? Or sign a guy who's available now.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
No way we trade for Dalembert without reaasurances of resigning him to a long term deal. Can you say Antonio McDyess. Not even a Collangelo makes that mistake TWICE!

Dalembert will be an RFA, just like JJ

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't think it's too much for Jackson. Vroman and Casey are essentially worthless and Lampe has shown to be nothing but a poor man's version of Slava Medvendenko. Their value is very overrated on this board and I don't even think Jackson is anything more than an above average role player.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:

Can someone explain this exception. The three salaries added together are approximately 2,300,000. Jim Jackson makes $2,475,000 (figures according to hoopshype). The difference is about 175,000, which falls within the 15% required to make a trade. Why do we need to use the exception that you are talking about and what exactly is it?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Dalembert will be an RFA, just like JJ

Cool. So instead of giving a two big bucks, we are giving a 5 big bucks! :D

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
This deal is Casey for Jim Jackson right now. It is a move made for this season, since they give up a good young big prospect. For this season, the move is a great success however it won't be that great in the future.

We all have had high hopes for Lampe, but some of that is definitely based on homerism. What we all know is that he is a few years away still.

I am interested in the report that we have to convince Philly to give us Dalembert for JJ, I would think it would be the other way around at this point.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
carey said:
We're already thin on front-court help, why send 2 of our forwards there for Jim Jackson? That leaves us with Voskhul, Hunter, Amare' and Bo? Not enough to compete in the playoffs in my opinion.

I know most will argue that those guys never play anyway, but as the season gets longer, and play gets more physical (and players more tired) they will be needed.

I've got a funny feeling that they are opening a bench spot to sign Karl Malone. Don't know why ... just a funny feeling

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I don't think it's too much for Jackson. Vroman and Casey are essentially worthless and Lampe has shown to be nothing but a poor man's version of Slava Medvendenko. Their value is very overrated on this board and I don't even think Jackson is anything more than an above average role player.

I agree. The only guy I hated to lose was Lampe. That was just based on potential, which is always a crap shoot. So as of right now, from a talent standpoint, even with 3-1, I think we are ahead on the deal. :) Just based on point production, we gain another 10 points a game, roughly speaking, not adjusting for minutes played. :)

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
I've got a funny feeling that they are opening a bench spot to sign Karl Malone. Don't know why ... just a funny feeling

Maybe that funny feeling was some bad Chinese food you ate. :)

Malone is absolutely not coming here.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Lampe is the sticking point for me to. I don't mind loosing Casey and Vroman. Lampe at least can shoot and in the run and gun he would fit nicely if he developed.

fordronken

Reaction score
Well, we certainly need at least one more player to fill our roster.

But anyway, I like the trade. Jim Jackson is a real basketball player who can play well for us. It gives us a legitimate bench guy who can play 20-30 minutes a game to spell Q, JJ, Marion and even Nash indirectly(if JJ slides over). We lose two guys that I had high hopes for, but honestly, if they weren't on the Suns I wouldn't have thought much of them.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... this is a terrible idea. If it happens I might be so pissed that I cancel my league pass and become a Hornets fan.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
cepstrum said:
Can someone explain this exception. The three salaries added together are approximately 2,300,000. Jim Jackson makes $2,475,000 (figures according to hoopshype). The difference is about 175,000, which falls within the 15% required to make a trade. Why do we need to use the exception that you are talking about and what exactly is it?

There is a general exception (assigned player exception) for most trades. Since matching salaries can be a pain, you only have to match with 15% + 100,000. However, you can only use 1 exception per trade. So if we are going to use the 15% rule to make a trade work, we cannot use any other exceptions (namely the trade exception). If we were aquiring multiple players, then it might be possible to use both exceptions.

Here is the full description

Larry Coon said:
71. Can exceptions be combined when making trades?

To a certain extent. Teams can use different exceptions to acquire multiple players in the same trade if those players could also have been acquired individually using those exceptions. For example, a team may trade a $5 million player for a $5.5 million player and two 10-year veterans earning $1 million each on minimum-salary contracts. The minimum salary exception is used for the two minimum-salary players, and the $5.5 million player is acquired using the assigned player exception ($5.5 million is within 115% plus $100,000 of $5 million). This is allowed, since those players could have been acquired separately using those same exceptions.

What is not allowed is using two different exceptions for the same player. For example, a team cannot combine a traded player exception with the 115% plus $100,000 margin created by the assigned player exception to acquire a high-salaried player. Here is something that is not allowed: A team has a $5 million player and a $1 million traded player exception, and wants to add the $1 million trade exception to the 115% plus $100,000 margin from their $5 million player ($5,850,000), in order to trade for a player making $6,850,000. This cannot be done. The exception to this rule is that teams may combine multiple traded player exceptions together to form one larger traded player exception if the traded player exceptions are generated and consummated in the same trade.

(See question number 68 for more information on the traded player exception. See question number 69 for more information on the minimum salary exception.)

The legal combining of exceptions sometimes creates the appearance of teams getting away with illegal trades. For example, as detailed in question number 84 ), when a team is over the cap and acquires a player in trade, they cannot re-trade that player in combination with other players for two months. Technically, however, this applies only to players traded together using the same exception. For example, Orlando acquired Danny Manning from Phoenix (as part of a package for Penny Hardaway) on 8/5/99. They then traded Manning and Dale Ellis to Milwaukee on 8/19/99. This trade did not violate the two-month rule because they used the assigned player exception for Manning and a traded player exception for Ellis. Since the two players were traded using different exceptions it was not a technical case of aggregation to which the two-month restriction applied, and therefore the trade was legal.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

That would be the exeption we gained in the earlier trade of Zarko. We mentioned that as a possiblity earlier. If we could get JJ for Dalembert straight up, THEN add Malone for the exception we got for Zarko, then I'd be in with the Mailman coming off the bench and getting a ring with us! :)

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Also, Why isn't anyone talking about the fact that this is a guy who refused to report to a team he was traded to? I thought the Colangelo's only traded for high character guys?

The more I think about it the more this trade pisses me off.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Yuma said:
That would be the exeption we gained in the earlier trade of Zarko. We mentioned that as a possiblity earlier. If we could get JJ for Dalembert straight up, THEN add Malone for the exception we got for Zarko, then I'd be in with the Mailman coming off the bench and getting a ring with us! :)

No you are wrong again. We would use a veteran minimum contract to sign Malone for roughly 1.1 million. We can use that as many times as we want.

The exception we got from the Zarko trade is to be used in further trades. It CANNOT be used to sign a FA

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Yuma said:

Malone is a free agent we can't use a trade exection to sign a free agent. We can sign him to the vet min no matter what. But I hope we never see Malone in a Suns uniform.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
There is a general exception (assigned player exception) for most trades. Since matching salaries can be a pain, you only have to match with 15% + 100,000. However, you can only use 1 exception per trade. So if we are going to use the 15% rule to make a trade work, we cannot use any other exceptions (namely the trade exception). If we were aquiring multiple players, then it might be possible to use both exceptions.

Here is the full description

So from what you are saying, since we are getting just one player in return, we can use only 1 exception, the 15% exception! :)

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see if I get this right...we are talking about two different trades.....gone will be JJ, Casey, Vroman and Lampe.....1/3 of the present team....33%. no loyalty from anyone....management and players....every year the same thing. Then everyone talks about chemistry and melding together and it takes time....blah, blah, blah. Same old, same old!

I guess the conclusion I get from all this is..... that Bryan should/could be an importer/exporter if his GM job is ever taken away from him.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
carey said:
Also, Why isn't anyone talking about the fact that this is a guy who refused to report to a team he was traded to? I thought the Colangelo's only traded for high character guys?

The more I think about it the more this trade pisses me off.

Jackson has been great his past few seasons. No one thought he would play for the Hornets. They just aquired him for salary relief from Wesley's deal and decided they could suspend him and not pay him instead of waiving him like a good organiztion would do.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
No you are wrong again. We would use a veteran minimum contract to sign Malone for roughly 1.1 million. We can use that as many times as we want.

The exception we got from the Zarko trade is to be used in further trades. It CANNOT be used to sign a FA

I stand corrected! :)