Casey going to Hornets

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
but this trade is a stark admission that the Suns have lost their ability to scout talent in the draft.

Except for that Stoudemire guy, yeah.

Since that Stoudemire guy, you mean. :p

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Lost in all this is the fact BC said the Suns would be looking to pick up some veterans. Can you believe he is actually doing what he said he would do days ago? :eek:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I'm not even going to look up the numbers. If I did it might look like CJ is a better shooter than Jimmy Jackson. In reality I think JJ (Jackson) is a better shooter. We have to remember that 99% of CJ's three-point shots are wide, wide open. Someone who is supposed to be a shooter and taking only the best shots should be kidding 45% + IMO. I think Jimmy Jackson is a sizable upgrade over CJ.

Joe Mama

The truth is, anybody will have much better stats playing in the suns system with Nash healthy, as long as he is athletically talented enough to run. JimJ is. As proven scorer, he can often create his own shot, which is lacking in the current lineup to some extent.

For the same reason, I'd have no problem to move Marion for Dalembert. Besides Marion for Dalembert + Robinson, it's also possible to have Marion + Jake for Dalembert, C.Williams, Skinner, Buckner. Corliss Williams is a big SF who can score.

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
Every team goes through tough stretches in the draft, but the Suns had a run where they simply didn't miss for about ten years. For them to dump four out of their five prospect players in two weeks is big news, as far as I'm concerned.
:shrug:

I'll give you Casey and Zarko. But Lampe wasn't a mistake in judging talent. The Suns would have done the Marbury trade without him, but managed to get him thrown into the deal. Him not panning out actually validates the Suns scouting, since they passed on him in the draft. 2nd round picks are a crapshoot, whether it's 32 or 50.

The Zarko trade bothered me more than this as far as the Suns scouting goes.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jimmy Jackson is basically a stronger, shorter, older Joe Johnson with a mean streak. Jimmy J can't play the point, but he can do all the other things Joe J can. Jimmy J can also rebound.

To the person that asked whether Jimmy J can keep up with the rest of the Suns -- oh my, yes.

Although the Suns lost three players for one, this is essentially a move to shore up depth. If you go with 7 or 8 players in a playoff rotation, Jimmy J would likely be the sixth in the rotation along with Stephen Hunter. He allows the Suns to continue playing their game. No adjustments needed.

I loved what Jimmy J did for Sacramento. I wouldn't ask him to shoot a crunch time shot, but I'd let him do whatever he wanted before that point.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Jimmy Jackson is basically a stronger, shorter, older Joe Johnson with a mean streak. Jimmy J can't play the point, but he can do all the other things Joe J can. Jimmy J can also rebound.

To the person that asked whether Jimmy J can keep up with the rest of the Suns -- oh my, yes.

Although the Suns lost three players for one, this is essentially a move to shore up depth. If you go with 7 or 8 players in a playoff rotation, Jimmy J would likely be the sixth in the rotation along with Stephen Hunter. He allows the Suns to continue playing their game. No adjustments needed.

I loved what Jimmy J did for Sacramento. I wouldn't ask him to shoot a crunch time shot, but I'd let him do whatever he wanted before that point.

He's played back up PG wherever he's been. He CAN play the point! :)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Unless there is another trade coming up, I don't like this at all. I love Jimmy J, but this seems to be giving up a bit too much.

Stefan

sunsfn

Reaction score
Yuma said:
He's played back up PG wherever he's been. He CAN play the point! :)

He might have played it, but not very well. He is a 2 guard that can bring the ball up when he has to. He is not a back-up point guard by any stretch of the imagination.

That is to say, he does not look to pass instead of shoot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
He might have played it, but not very well. He is a 2 guard that can bring the ball up when he has to. He is not a back-up point guard by any stretch of the imagination.

let's be honest here though, neither is jj ideally. we just haven't had a good backup pg since elliott perry. or when kj was riding out the end behind kidd.

(edit: i originally typed "neither was jj ideally" - looks like i'm on board for the jj for dalembert trade)

Errntknght

Reaction score
Well, getting Jimmy J. is exactly what I've been saying - as long as D'Antoni is here, give him guys he'll play. Giving up Lampe was ridiculous, however.

Actually, the deal has one pleasant aspect to it - it can turn out so bad in retrospect, that BC gets fired for making it, which would be a tremendous boost for the Suns.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Well, getting Jimmy J. is exactly what I've been saying - as long as D'Antoni is here, give him guys he'll play. Giving up Lampe was ridiculous, however.

Actually, the deal has one pleasant aspect to it - it can turn out so bad in retrospect, that BC gets fired for making it, which would be a tremendous boost for the Suns.

i'm curious, other than maybe jerry west, who would you rather have as our gm?

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
let's be honest here though, neither is jj ideally. we just haven't had a good backup pg since elliott perry. or when kj was riding out the end behind kidd.
)

and Steve Nash

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
sunsfn said:

If that was true then his apg career stats would be 0.0! :D

Honestly, I am not saying he's Nash. He can slide over and play PG as well as JJ does. :D

Kolo

Reaction score
Errntknght said:

That might be the most ignorant post I've ever read on these boards.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

The only way that's possible is if you have a lot of people on Ignore. Not that I'm naming names.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
elindholm said:

The only way that's possible is if you have a lot of people on Ignore. Not that I'm naming names.

Now THAT's funny! :D Too bad you won't see this response! :thumbup:

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Hmmm. Interesting to drive home after a long day with the radio turned off. Then, come on here and find out that PHX made a trade to bolster it's roster for the playoffs.

I like it. We'll miss CJ's treys, but he'll be a journeyman. Simply not quick enough.

Vroman was a cap throw-in. Great practice player. Likes to wear his ball caps crooked.

Lampe is slow. I don't care how good of a J he has. If you're slow and can't jump, you're just an average NBA player. He's still a teen, and there will always be a spot in the league for a player of his caliber. Just don't expect him to be a saviour.

Jim Jackson has been playing the best ball of his career. Tough defender, smart, and can score. PHX NEEDED a veteran presence.

Not sure where the Joe Johnson rumors are coming from, but I would want more than Dalembert. JJ is a player and type of person you want on your team. He's only getting better (still is madly inconsistent), and is a five-tool baller.

Dalembert is languishing on the bench for a reason.

Kolo

Reaction score
sly fly said:
Hmmm. Interesting to drive home after a long day with the radio turned off. Then, come on here and find out that PHX made a trade to bolster it's roster for the playoffs.

I like it. We'll miss CJ's treys, but he'll be a journeyman. Simply not quick enough.

Vroman was a cap throw-in. Great practice player. Likes to wear his ball caps crooked.

Lampe is slow. I don't care how good of a J he has. If you're slow and can't jump, you're just an average NBA player. He's still a teen, and there will always be a spot in the league for a player of his caliber. Just don't expect him to be a saviour.

Jim Jackson has been playing the best ball of his career. Tough defender, smart, and can score. PHX NEEDED a veteran presence.

Not sure where the Joe Johnson rumors are coming from, but I would want more than Dalembert. JJ is a player and type of person you want on your team. He's only getting better (still is madly inconsistent), and is a five-tool baller.

Dalembert is languishing on the bench for a reason.

Agreed on all points.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Since BC is on the management team, and has partial ownership he isn't going be gone anytime soon if ever.

Don't even bother asking which GM people would rather have, I have tried to pose that question several times without any real responses (to more than just Ernnt)

I liked Lampe, and thought he would be great in a few years. Of course, the question I have been asking myself all day is if I would have thought the same thing if he wasn't on the Suns? :shrug:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Haha touche.

Seriously though, the Hornets make the Clippers look like the best run organiztion in Basketball.

Woolwridge might be forced out as owner by the NBA soon (they cannot directly do it, but it will be done) after he blatantly lied about suite sales before they moved to NO.

LOL. I just checked ESPN and they have an article about Shinn becomming the sole owner. I knew it was coming, but didn't expect it the same day I mentioned it!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1972280

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm not even going to look up the numbers.

I'll save you the trouble. These are over their careers.

FG%: Jackson .430, Jacobsen .399
3FG%: Jackson .363, Jacobsen .371
FT%: Jackson .824, Jacobsen .759

Throw in the fact that, as you said, Jacobsen usually has the benefit of being wide open, and I think it's pretty safe to say that Jackson is the better shooter.

As soon as our servers are back up, I will get the detailed shooting reports for Jackson up here.

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
Wow, I have never seen a thread explode like this! 4 new pages just while I was catching up! My 2 cents - in one sense this is understandable. The Suns see that the league is relatively weak this year (besides Spurs). They have a serious shot at a run, and J Jack gives them a veteran, quality bench player, something we all know the Suns sorely lack. J Jack does it all, pass, rebound, shoot, play ok D... but most of all hes a veteran and knows how to play basketball - something all the projects on the Suns bench don't have. The Suns need someone who is ready NOW to be a big contributor and smart player on the bench.
That said, I was in love with Lampe's talent... seriously the kid is barely 19 years old. He is a 7 footer with a big body, and he has a lot of offensive talent. The problem is, he doesn't know how to play NBA basketball and has a long way to go. But I believe he will be a very good player in the league some day playing 20+ min a game for someone. I think CJ and Vroman should have been enough for a malcontent like J Jack who is doing nothing for his current team. Why did we have to throw Lampe in? They must be very dissatisfied with him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
Wow, I have never seen a thread explode like this! 4 new pages just while I was catching up! My 2 cents - in one sense this is understandable. The Suns see that the league is relatively weak this year (besides Spurs). They have a serious shot at a run, and J Jack gives them a veteran, quality bench player, something we all know the Suns sorely lack. J Jack does it all, pass, rebound, shoot, play ok D... but most of all hes a veteran and knows how to play basketball - something all the projects on the Suns bench don't have. The Suns need someone who is ready NOW to be a big contributor and smart player on the bench.
That said, I was in love with Lampe's talent... seriously the kid is barely 19 years old. He is a 7 footer with a big body, and he has a lot of offensive talent. The problem is, he doesn't know how to play NBA basketball and has a long way to go. But I believe he will be a very good player in the league some day playing 20+ min a game for someone. I think CJ and Vroman should have been enough for a malcontent like J Jack who is doing nothing for his current team. Why did we have to throw Lampe in? They must be very dissatisfied with him.

I agree the Suns feel their shot is this year. I can see why they want Jimmy Jack.

As far as Lampe. He's the only reason I feel bad about this at all. However, as the Suns have shown, they will bring back a guy if they feel he's worth it. We may see Lampe back in a Sun's uni someday. :D