Changes for 2013

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Head coaching change:

My Top Choices:

1. Chip Kelly, HC Oregon. I firmly believe he will be a big success in the NFL. He will modifying his spread offense somewhat---but the principles will remain exactly the same: draft for speed at the skill positions, line up quickly to keep the defensive personnel on the field, go uptempo from start to finish, and play the numbers game, as in run when the numbers are to the team's advantage and pass when the opponents try to outnumber the box. What I love about him is his hunger---not for just wins but for scoring points and putting up big numbers---and not feeling good about kicking field goals.

2. Jay Gruden, OC Cincinnati. While his brother Jon will be getting a good deal of buzz about his return to coaching, Jay Gruden and his ability to groom QBs and run a good, well-balanced offense is quietly and quickly becoming a hot HC candidate. he's not as fickle as his brother when it comes to QBs---he has a set idea of what he wants skill-wise and mental-toughness-wise. The Cardinals have to contend with 3 of the top 10 defenses in the NFL in the NFC West and they need an offensive minded coach who can find ways to crack those defenses.

3. Mike McCoy, OC, Denver. We may not have been able to sign Peyton Manning, but what better way to get a Manning-type offense in Arizona than to hire his current OC. What's great about McCoy is that he adapts his offense to the strengths of the personnel, as he did last year when Tebow took the reins. McCoy is all for balance---strong running game and play action galore.

Offensive Changes:

Will very much depend on who the head coach is---but---in looking at the available free agents and the draft choices here's a sampling of what I would like to see:

1. Signing FA LT Jeff Backus, Detroit. I've been watching him closely this year and there's a very good reason why he has staved off rookie 1st round pick, Riley Reiff. Backus has been doing a very good job of protecting the QB versus the likes of divisional foes Jared Allen, Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers. Despite his age and 12 years of NFL experience, he looks like he has another two good years left in him...which gives the Cardinals the time to groom Nate Potter.

2. Move Levi Brown to LG. We desperately need a running game and Brown can maul with the best of them. I like him matched up against DTs Justin Smith, Alan Branch and Michael Brockers.

3. Trade up into the late first, early second round to draft G Chance Warmack, 6-3, 320, Alabama. This guy is explosive and tenacious.

4. Sign RT Sebastian Vollmer, Patriots, 6-8, 315. When healthy he's very good. He's had some back issues and is 29, so he should come at a reasonable salary.

5. Have Nate Potter and Bobbie Massie back up Backus and Vollmer until they are ready to play consistently well.

6. Use the 4th round pick on C Braxton Cave, Notre Dame, 6-3, 303. Give him the opportunity to beat out Sendlein...if not this year, next.

7. Sign WR Mike Wallace, Pittsburgh. The speed dimension at WR we need. Won't come cheaply---but what his speed will do for this offense will be worth every penny.

8. Draft QB Geno Smith, West Virginia with the first round pick. Smith has good size and accuracy and is mobile. It's time to re-invest in a QB.

9. Sign QB David Garrard. Can start until Smith is ready, which as with Ryan Tannehill could be from as early as week one. Would be a great mentor for Smith as they are very much in the same mold.

10. Draft RB Stepfan Taylor, Stanford in the 3rd round. Very good, slashing type of RB who plays tough and can catch the ball too.

Defensive Changes:

I would like to see us change back to a 43---mostly because it would allow Darnell Dockett to be the under-tackle where he can get back to wreaking havoc. Play Dan Williams and his strength as the over-tackle and kick Calais Campbell out to LDE, where he could be a beast---and imo it would prolong his career.

1. Sign RDE Dwight Freeney. It's about time we had a good edge rusher...not only to harrass Smith, Wilson and Bradford, but to give our tackles an explosive player to practice against.

2. Sign MLB Ray Maualuga, Cincinnati. I don't think the bengals will tag him and signing him would allow us to play Sam Acho at SOLB and Daryl Washington at WOLB...with O'Brien Schofield, Stewart Bradley and Quentin Groves as backups.

3. Sign S Dashon Goldson, San Francisco. Outbid the 49ers---who will be having cap issues. This guy is nails. We should have signed him two years ago as I and other were imploring the Cardinals to do---when Goldson was out there twisting in the wind.

4. Draft SS Duron Harmon, Rutgers in the 5th round. This kid brings it.

5. Draft CB Terry Hawthorn, Illinois in the 6th round.

Special Teams Changes:

1. Draft K Bret Maher, Nebraska in the 6th round.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you think this team can sign Backus, Mike Wallace, Goldson, Freeney, Vollmer... and Maulauga?!

forget everything you mentioned, the above alone makes your off-season the most unrealistic plan I've seen in a very long time.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
you think this team can sign Backus, Mike Wallace, Goldson, Freeney, Vollmer... and Maulauga?!

forget everything you mentioned, the above alone makes your off-season the most unrealistic plan I've seen in a very long time.

Agree. Don't think it could even be concocted in Madden '13.

Also, Whiz won't be fired (coordinators will go first) and Geno Smith will underwhelm many in the NFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
When I was watching some of the Lions agme Sunday, they metioned how the offense/running game picked up steam once they started using Reiff more.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Be that as it may, signing half of these guys and moving to a 4-3 would be a huge upgrade compared to what we'll end up doing.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
When I was watching some of the Lions agme Sunday, they metioned how the offense/running game picked up steam once they started using Reiff more.

Yes, they are using Reiff at TE in running situations.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I realize we can't sign all of them---but they are the players I would be targeting. if we could get half of them, I'd be happy.

Plus---we need to get rid of some salaries, obviously, staring with Kolb who has won my respect but not at the current price tag, esp. w/ the injuries.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I thought Haley was your #2 choice for HC???

Jon---I like Haley---but for some reason I don't think the Cardinals would hire him---that is, unless a certain player lobbies for him.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jon---I like Haley---but for some reason I don't think the Cardinals would hire him---that is, unless a certain player lobbies for him.

What makes you think the Cards would target any of those coaches? You don't, so to say Haley is out of the running for that reason tells me that you are just flip flopping and throwing out as many ideas as possible so if one of the 700 you made, sticks, you can say 'I told you so'. No offense, but it is getting tiresome.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, Haley has more a chance of being the next head coach than Chip. If Chip wants a NFL job, he will get top money, so that takes the Cardinals out.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch, I love what you write. I disagree with you about bringing in a new OC. I have about a good a chance of being the Card OC as we have of bringing in a new one. Whiz will not stand for someone to run an offense counter to what he wants. That is why he brought Miller up to be the OC because he will regurgetate what he is told to do because he doesn't know any better.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mitch last week Todd Haley was your 2nd choice. How is he no longer in your top 3??

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would be thrilled if we accomplished 1-6 on the offensive moves list.

As for D I am angry we didn't get Goldson every time I see him play. This guy brings it as much as any defensive back I have seen in a long time.

Plenty of good stuff in this post.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IMO, every hinges on the draft.

EVERYTHING.

Damn, I thought I had more to say when I started typing but that ^^^ pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
This is a fantasy plan for 2013. Cards moto has been sign value players and build team with draft. I will be surprised if Cards try to woo even couple of the FA's you listed.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
I stopped reading at hiring Chip Kelly, then skimmed the rest of the post.

As stated on the other thread, hiring Chip Kelly would be a colossal disaster, on par with starting Batiste. His offense is ridiculously simple, on par with high school offenses as far as complexity is concerned, and no team in the league is so much faster than their opponents like Oregon to make this offense work in the pros.

And signing 5 borderline Pro Bowler players???]

What I do like is the idea of drafting a QB (who would be a poor fit in Kelly's offense) and signing Dashon Goldson. Move Kerry Rhodes (after resigning) to Wilson's starting spot and it would be a significant upgrade at safety.

I also love the idea of Warmack and Taylor. I wouldn't blow up the offensive line as much as you're suggesting here, since as Kerouac has stated numerous times, this is a limited resource league and you can't spend loads of money on every position. I'd let the young guys develop (while giving Grimm his walking papers) and draft a stud in the first three rounds. Taylor would give us badly needed insurance and could potentially push for a starting job. Despite the injuries, our RBs weren't playing particularly well to begin with, and the team needs to use a pick to compete/replace Wells and/or Williams.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whiz will be back in 2013 but if he has another losing season he will be out. Haley could replace him at that point especially if the Steelers do well offensively. Some feel that Haley got a bad deal in KC with a GM that he did not get along with.
As far as free agents signings, I have little confidence in the Cards doing anything right as long as Graves is still the GM. We go after marginal players like Heap, Snyder, Porter, etc. They are 2nd or 3rd tier. We don't spend money on the top players.
I like OG Warmack in the draft but he is rated top 10 at this point by several draft analysts. He won't be there in the late first round. I'm not high on any of the qbs.
However, I'll wait on the draft until we see who is coming out, the bowl games, the Senior Bowl and the Combine. A lot can change.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If this team was going to sign Jeff Backus, then why didn't they do it last offseason when he was available ?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If this team was going to sign Jeff Backus, then why didn't they do it last offseason when he was available ?

Because they already had Young and Batiste on the roster. High quality NFL ready turnstiles.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As stated on the other thread, hiring Chip Kelly would be a colossal disaster, on par with starting Batiste. His offense is ridiculously simple, on par with high school offenses as far as complexity is concerned, and no team in the league is so much faster than their opponents like Oregon to make this offense work in the pros.

What I do like is the idea of drafting a QB (who would be a poor fit in Kelly's offense) and signing Dashon Goldson. Move Kerry Rhodes (after resigning) to Wilson's starting spot and it would be a significant upgrade at safety.

I also love the idea of Warmack and Taylor. I wouldn't blow up the offensive line as much as you're suggesting here, since as Kerouac has stated numerous times, this is a limited resource league and you can't spend loads of money on every position. I'd let the young guys develop (while giving Grimm his walking papers) and draft a stud in the first three rounds. Taylor would give us badly needed insurance and could potentially push for a starting job. Despite the injuries, our RBs weren't playing particularly well to begin with, and the team needs to use a pick to compete/replace Wells and/or Williams.

I love Goldson I wanted us to sign him a couple of years ago when SF was hesitant on him to help us and weaken them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why would Chip Kelly and his focus on fast-break play keep Larry Fitzgerald and his gargantuan contract? Kelly will likely want/get run of the front office wherever he's hired. I guess you could trade Fitz to Cleveland for their first round pick and draft Smith, but that sounds like a pretty shoddy deal.

If the Cards hired Chip Kelly, who would be kept on this offense right now? Andre Roberts and Rob Housler? Are those the keystones of a Top 10 NFL offense?

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I like Barret jones, Alabama's other guard, because he can play different position on the o-line. WalterFootball.com has him going in the 2nd round, but I think he is a first rounder.

I was looking who was going to be a free agent in 2013 and it doesn't look to promising. The Cardinals need to hit the draft right on in order to improve next season.

I do agree with your assesment on the RB, compet/replace.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why would Chip Kelly and his focus on fast-break play keep Larry Fitzgerald and his gargantuan contract? Kelly will likely want/get run of the front office wherever he's hired. I guess you could trade Fitz to Cleveland for their first round pick and draft Smith, but that sounds like a pretty shoddy deal.

If the Cards hired Chip Kelly, who would be kept on this offense right now? Andre Roberts and Rob Housler? Are those the keystones of a Top 10 NFL offense?

Keep in mind, that this whole scenario for change includes both the departure of Whiz and Horton.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan