Changes for 2013

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that this whole scenario for change includes both the departure of Whiz and Horton.

I think we all know Horton IS going to get his HC shot this off season.

Where will THAT leave the Cardinals is the question everyone needs to ask themselves.

There needs to be MORE than just tweaks in going forward for this FO and team, imho. The whole NFCW is dictating that now. We're pretty far away from competing with the likes of SF right now. Seattle and St.L are starting to look at us from the rear view mirror as well.

I'd say the home game vs. St.L may indeed determine many futures on the team if that does not turn out well.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am not buying it. Horton has done a good job with this defense, but it is still not top 5 or even top 10. He has been a DC for 25 games and you could say that 15 of those games were good to great defensive efforts. I think a good comparison woud be Marvin Lewis since both were postion coaches in Pittsburg prior to becoming a DC. Lewis was a DC for 5 years(5 in Baltimore, 1 in DC) before getting a chance to be a HC. As a HC, he has been spotty with a overall losing record and only 3 winning seasons in now his 10th season. Lewis also won a Super Bowl as a DC and had a top 3 all time defense that year and still took two years to get a HC job. Until Horton does it for a full year with a deep playoff run, he will be our DC or Interm HC.

Just MHO.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not buying it. Horton has done a good job with this defense, but it is still not top 5 or even top 10. He has been a DC for 25 games and you could say that 15 of those games were good to great defensive efforts. I think a good comparison woud be Marvin Lewis since both were postion coaches in Pittsburg prior to becoming a DC. Lewis was a DC for 5 years(5 in Baltimore, 1 in DC) before getting a chance to be a HC. As a HC, he has been spotty with a overall losing record and only 3 winning seasons in now his 10th season. Lewis also won a Super Bowl as a DC and had a top 3 all time defense that year and still took two years to get a HC job. Until Horton does it for a full year with a deep playoff run, he will be our DC or Interm HC.

Just MHO.

Mike Tomlin was the Vikings DC for 1 year before he became the head coach of the Steelers which is where Horton came from.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin was the Vikings DC for 1 year before he became the head coach of the Steelers which is where Horton came from.

That is indeed a good point and the only thing I can coutner that with is that the Vikings defense climbed to 8th in the NFL in his first year. But, you are right, that is another good comparison.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

With the Rooney Rule still in effect, teams must interview a minority candidate.
Horton will get plenty of interviews. It just takes one owner to like him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Why would Chip Kelly and his focus on fast-break play keep Larry Fitzgerald and his gargantuan contract? Kelly will likely want/get run of the front office wherever he's hired. I guess you could trade Fitz to Cleveland for their first round pick and draft Smith, but that sounds like a pretty shoddy deal.

If the Cards hired Chip Kelly, who would be kept on this offense right now? Andre Roberts and Rob Housler? Are those the keystones of a Top 10 NFL offense?

Ken Whisenhunt seems to think so.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Where will THAT leave the Cardinals is the question everyone needs to ask themselves.

There needs to be MORE than just tweaks in going forward for this FO and team, imho. The whole NFCW is dictating that now. We're pretty far away from competing with the likes of SF right now. Seattle and St.L are starting to look at us from the rear view mirror as well.

I'd say the home game vs. St.L may indeed determine many futures on the team if that does not turn out well.

"We all know" that he'll get an interview would be more plausible given the Rooney Rule.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think that Horton is definitely going to get a head coaching job this offseason, either. Tomlin is a little different story; he'd been a hot name for a few years and came from a very fruitful coaching tree with Tony Dungy.

Horton's going to get more opportunities to interview due to the Rooney Rule, but if I were a team with a 4-3 defense, I'm not sure that I would hire him because that's a tough transition to make personnel-wise while also giving him space to learn how to be a head coach. What is his plan for coordinators, for example?

What are the possible job openings? San Diego, Philly, Cleveland, Kansas City, with an outside chance of Dallas and Carolina? Mmm... Is KC going to poach another Arizona coach? The best fit is maybe Cleveland, but they have a 4-3 base right now.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I feel teams are desparate for head coaches. HC use to get 5 years to prove themselves. Now they get a maxium of 3 years. Horton turned the Cardinals defense around in one season. If the defense continues to excell than Horton will definitly be on the hot list and possibliy getting a HC position. I wouldn't be surprised if Whisenhunt and Co. will be looking for a new DC next season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I feel teams are desparate for head coaches. HC use to get 5 years to prove themselves. Now they get a maxium of 3 years. Horton turned the Cardinals defense around in one season. If the defense continues to excell than Horton will definitly be on the hot list and possibliy getting a HC position. I wouldn't be surprised if Whisenhunt and Co. will be looking for a new DC next season.

Even after the last few weeks, the Cards D is still ranked 5th in points, 9th in yardage.

Wow.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Even after the last few weeks, the Cards D is still ranked 5th in points, 9th in yardage.

Wow.

#2 in passing yards allowed with a 55.3% completion rate. I don't know if an Arizona Cardinal team has ever been ranked that high in passing yards allowed. Odd thing is they're only 14th in passing TDs allowed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
#2 in passing yards allowed with a 55.3% completion rate. I don't know if an Arizona Cardinal team has ever been ranked that high in passing yards allowed. Odd thing is they're only 14th in passing TDs allowed.

I expect that will change in the coming weeks. So far we've faced Christian Ponder, Russell Wilson on the road in his first game, Alex Smith Game Manager, Ryan Tannehill, and Sam Bradford.

This doesn't take anything away from the defense's performance in those games, and especially the games against New England and Philly. Those were exceptional team efforts by the defense.

But I think we might see that come back to earth a little in the second half. But maybe not. We only see 3 above-average quarterbacks in the second half (Ryan on Sunday, then Stafford and Cutler/Smith).

God, this schedule in some ways was so manageable. Too bad our offensive minded head coach couldn't get more out of his handpicked guys than he could out of Derek Anderson.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that Horton is definitely going to get a head coaching job this offseason, either. Tomlin is a little different story; he'd been a hot name for a few years and came from a very fruitful coaching tree with Tony Dungy.

Horton's going to get more opportunities to interview due to the Rooney Rule, but if I were a team with a 4-3 defense, I'm not sure that I would hire him because that's a tough transition to make personnel-wise while also giving him space to learn how to be a head coach. What is his plan for coordinators, for example?

What are the possible job openings? San Diego, Philly, Cleveland, Kansas City, with an outside chance of Dallas and Carolina? Mmm... Is KC going to poach another Arizona coach? The best fit is maybe Cleveland, but they have a 4-3 base right now.

San Diego runs a 3-4, right? No way Norv makes it another year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I expect that will change in the coming weeks. So far we've faced Christian Ponder, Russell Wilson on the road in his first game, Alex Smith Game Manager, Ryan Tannehill, and Sam Bradford.

This doesn't take anything away from the defense's performance in those games, and especially the games against New England and Philly. Those were exceptional team efforts by the defense.

But I think we might see that come back to earth a little in the second half. But maybe not. We only see 3 above-average quarterbacks in the second half (Ryan on Sunday, then Stafford and Cutler/Smith).

God, this schedule in some ways was so manageable. Too bad our offensive minded head coach couldn't get more out of his handpicked guys than he could out of Derek Anderson.

True but the Cards have faced those type QBs many times before with far worse results. So for our guys to be ranked #2 no matter who they've played is quite an accomplishment.

On the other hand the run D hasn't been solid at all. 30 of 41 games allowing over 100 yards rushing including 7 of 9 this year and not ranked higher than 24th in rushing yards allowed.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Defensive Changes:

I would like to see us change back to a 43---mostly because it would allow Darnell Dockett to be the under-tackle where he can get back to wreaking havoc. Play Dan Williams and his strength as the over-tackle and kick Calais Campbell out to LDE, where he could be a beast---and imo it would prolong his career.

1. Sign RDE Dwight Freeney. It's about time we had a good edge rusher...not only to harrass Smith, Wilson and Bradford, but to give our tackles an explosive player to practice against.

2. Sign MLB Ray Maualuga, Cincinnati. I don't think the bengals will tag him and signing him would allow us to play Sam Acho at SOLB and Daryl Washington at WOLB...with O'Brien Schofield, Stewart Bradley and Quentin Groves as backups.

3. Sign S Dashon Goldson, San Francisco. Outbid the 49ers---who will be having cap issues. This guy is nails. We should have signed him two years ago as I and other were imploring the Cardinals to do---when Goldson was out there twisting in the wind.

4. Draft SS Duron Harmon, Rutgers in the 5th round. This kid brings it.

5. Draft CB Terry Hawthorn, Illinois in the 6th round.

You are silent on the fate of Ray Horton.

I assume you are letting him go, since you are firing the head coach and running a new Defense.

My theory is always that we should run the Defense that most teams are NOT running, so 4-3 makes sense now. My reasoning is that personnel is more available. For example, with everyone running a 3-4 defense, the 3-4 OLBs are very hard to come by, but the 4-3 DE types, like Freeney, as you mentioned are more available.

Having said all that, Ray Horton's 3-4 Defense is pretty good. But if you fire the head coach, the new guy is unlikely to keep him, so that would open up a 4-3 option.

I disagree on Campbell, however. Prototypical 3-4 DE. Not sure about Acho at 4-3 OLB either. Going 4-3 would open up going for Bjourn Werner from Florida State. Beast who has only been playing football for a short time.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are silent on the fate of Ray Horton.

I assume you are letting him go, since you are firing the head coach and running a new Defense.

My theory is always that we should run the Defense that most teams are NOT running, so 4-3 makes sense now. My reasoning is that personnel is more available. For example, with everyone running a 3-4 defense, the 3-4 OLBs are very hard to come by, but the 4-3 DE types, like Freeney, as you mentioned are more available.

Having said all that, Ray Horton's 3-4 Defense is pretty good. But if you fire the head coach, the new guy is unlikely to keep him, so that would open up a 4-3 option.

I disagree on Campbell, however. Prototypical 3-4 DE. Not sure about Acho at 4-3 OLB either. Going 4-3 would open up going for Bjourn Werner from Florida State. Beast who has only been playing football for a short time.

Half the league is running 4-3 and Whiz has made it clear that he's a 3-4 guy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan