Convinced?

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
Oh well, I still don't like it. The Spurs just made some mistakes down the stretch. That's just it..

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
I would be fully content giving diaw's minutes to skinner for the last stretch of the regular season, then calling diaw out to make him earn his minutes back.

This is genius. The problem, though, is that Diaw is at his best when he's confident and contributing. Benching him punitively might just turn him into even more of a head case. Still, if the Suns had acquired Shaq earlier in the season and still had time to shake the rotation up, then D'Antoni would be foolish not to call Diaw out like this.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I know you hate the team right now, but this is a much bigger win than Boston was. We won that game ugly. We won this one playing our game with better defense.

I don't hate the team, i'm just disappointed in them is all. Weren't we all singing the praises of a renewed suns' defense after the boston game though? what's the difference?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was a much needed win thats for sure. But Suns are still not out of trouble.
Its good to see that the Suns don't look terrible on a half court slowed down game with Shaq, which was the purpose of the trade.

Shaq's size alone forced layups by Duncan to be altered and missed. Its promising.

Now the Suns must play defense and play playoff style... it seems they will do better that way than allowing 110+ points.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
i agree with you janda, except for the last part. Nothing changed over 2 days that makes us so much better than when we gave up 41 points at home in the 4th quarter to a potential playoff match-up for us. We need to find out which team we really are still, hopefully more like the team that showed up today.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
There is a big difference between winning a regular season game and winning a 7 game playoff series.

i wouldn't think you'd remember considering its been so long since you've won a playoff series..

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
i agree with you janda, except for the last part. Nothing changed over 2 days that makes us so much better than when we gave up 41 points at home in the 4th quarter to a potential playoff match-up for us. We need to find out which team we really are still, hopefully more like the team that showed up today.

Yeah, that's what's been missing. The identity. The Suns are still confuse on what style they are going to play. I hope they would use the style they used against the Spurs.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what's been missing. The identity. The Suns are still confuse on what style they are going to play. I hope they would use the style they used against the Spurs.

i agree, the suns need the style they used today which was a rare mix of running, half-court, and defense on both of those things.

MiamiHeat

Registered
Reaction score
uh, don't jump the gun

This was a slow half-court game vs the spurs. The problem's the SUNS have had have been VS teams that are able to push the tempo and get fastbreak points.

Spurs don't do that, they are slow. They scored all of -5- fastbreak points, while SUNS scored 23.

Still have yet to see a better defensive effort against those faster teams. Some good chances are coming up in MARCH.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns CAN play grind- it- out defense and proved it with the win over the San Antonio Spurs.

They clamped up on their defense from the start and while it weaned a few times throughout, hustle and defense were strong in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Get this stat; the Spurs had 2 points in the last 5 minutes.

You read right, 2 points. The team, collectively, decided to play defense and it was beautiful to see.

The offense will struggle from time to time, but they have no trouble scoring. However, the defense I saw has convinced me they can beat the Spurs in the playoffs if they eventually meet up.

I saw a lot of passion out there, fouls not getting called, coaches pissed off. That is what I like to see, intensity. This wasn’t just a normal regular season game, it was a statement.

What a great game.

So are you convinced?

It's going to take more than one game, but it does bode well for you guys. I'm not sure this one victory wipes out all of the other ragged losses. The Spurs did shoot about 35% from the field. That will help a lot of teams look better on defense.

Credit where credit is due though. The Suns played like their lives depended on it, and they came through - for today.

Your question as a Suns fan should be: Are they willing to dedicate themselves to playing 48 minutes of defense each and every game? you'd better hope so, because we've all seen how ugly it is when they don't

Congrats on the win. But convinced I am not. Things happen from game to game. Like they say: 1 game is luck, 2 is a coincidence, and 3 is evidence. Lets see them build on this now.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
It's going to take more than one game, but it does bode well for you guys. I'm not sure this one victory wipes out all of the other ragged losses. The Spurs did shoot about 35% from the field. That will help a lot of teams look better on defense.

Credit where credit is due though. The Suns played like their lives depended on it, and they came through - for today.

Your question as a Suns fan should be: Are they willing to dedicate themselves to playing 48 minutes of defense each and every game? you'd better hope so, because we've all seen how ugly it is when they don't

Congrats on the win. But convinced I am not. Things happen from game to game. Like they say: 1 game is luck, 2 is a coincidence, and 3 is evidence. Lets see them build on this now.

my thoughts exactly.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs did shoot about 35% from the field. That will help a lot of teams look better on defense.

I am confused. Some of you guys crack me up. The Spurs shot 35% and the Suns had something to do with that. It's not like they shot 35% all on their own. Teams go cold but when it happens for an entire 4 quarters I think it's safe to say the Suns played very good defense today.

Though I am not saying this team is going to be a Defensive force anytime soon and I am also not convinced this team has turned the corner either until I see it consistently.

However, for goodness sake give credit where credit is do. After all the Suns shot horrible from the 3 point line today....or wait was that the Spurs defense??? I am not sure based on your method of thinking. :rolleyes:

cly2tw

Reaction score
I am confused. Some of you guys crack me up. The Spurs shot 35% and the Suns had something to do with that. It's not like they shot 35% all on their own. Teams go cold but when it happens for an entire 4 quarters I think it's safe to say the Suns played very good defense today.

:rolleyes:

Not only that, constant pressing them to rush shots make them less confident even for open looks. The usual lack of good defense normal boost Suns' opponents' shooting confidence, hence they shot so well in recent games against us. No wonder the team with most "career games against" from other teams' players must be the Suns!:sad:

nowagimp

Reaction score
Putting Shaq on TD puts a whole new twist on the Suns/Spurs rivalry. Duncan didnt go off on the Suns as usual...

Thats was TD's highest scoring output on shaq in 4 years: 17 points. Shaqs impact on the suns is bigger than the personal stats would suggest. Watching shaq move in the last few games, its kind of hard to believe he can still play like that at 36 years old.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thats was TD's highest scoring output on shaq in 4 years: 17 points. Shaqs impact on the suns is bigger than the personal stats would suggest. Watching shaq move in the last few games, its kind of hard to believe he can still play like that at 36 years old.
The real question is going to be.......Was Shaq able to move that way because of adrenaline or is he getting his conditioning back to an NBA level or is the Suns training staff working wonders with his body to allow him to do that?

I'm hoping it's a combination of all 3 and that the training staff will keep making improvements in his flexibility & range of motion and conditioning. I'd like to see Shaq not only be in NBA shape, but surpass that and start getting into Phoenix Suns shape (probably a pipe dream). He's got just over a month left in the regular season to work on it and work himself in with the Suns, I'm excited to see where he can get and where this team will be on April 17th......I just hope it's somewhere good.

Last edited:

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
sorry if this has already been said but i think i GIGANTIC test is going to be comming up here vs the warriors. id actually like to see US SLOW it down...

Treat

Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns CAN play grind- it- out defense and proved it with the win over the San Antonio Spurs.

They clamped up on their defense from the start and while it weaned a few times throughout, hustle and defense were strong in the last 5 minutes of the game.

You read right, 2 points. The team, collectively, decided to play defense and it was beautiful to see.

The offense will struggle from time to time, but they have no trouble scoring. However, the defense I saw has convinced me they can beat the Spurs in the playoffs if they eventually meet up.

I saw a lot of passion out there, fouls not getting called, coaches pissed off. That is what I like to see, intensity. This wasn’t just a normal regular season game, it was a statement.

What a great game.

So are you convinced?

NO. Now are YOU convinced that Shaq is a fat useless blob, that Dantoni can't coach a lick, and that this Suns squad is just over the hill? Or are you going to give us that crap that they'll "gel" better next season despite the fact that Shaq will come back older and fatter?

titleist983k

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
yeah, Im convinced that you love shaq more than your mom and no matter what shaq does you will defend him more than the team he is playing for. What a baby.

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score

What a great game.

So are you convinced?

Beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Treat

Reaction score

What a great game.

So are you convinced?

Tell us now, are YOU?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05