Coro: Steve Nash's career with the Phoenix Suns nears its end

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
More info on Shumpert:

40% shooting, 30% 3pt shooting, 2.8 assist/game & missing half the season... no thanks... the only good stat is his 1.7 steals per game.

I don't get all the Shumpert hate. He's also a 22 year old kid with good size and athleticism. He could be a decent player off the bench, and we give up nothing for him.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't get all the Shumpert hate. He's also a 22 year old kid with good size and athleticism. He could be a decent player off the bench, and we give up nothing for him.

I wouldn't call it hate... just facts. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot. Maybe he'll improve, but at this point he's a backup role player... hardly what you'd call a KEY piece of a deal for Nash. NY can't sign Nash to the contract he wants without doing a S&T with us & this is our reward for helping them? Not good enough in my opinion.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it hate... just facts. He's a shooting guard that can't shoot. Maybe he'll improve, but at this point he's a backup role player... hardly what you'd call a KEY piece of a deal for Nash. NY can't sign Nash to the contract he wants without doing a S&T with us & this is our reward for helping them? Not good enough in my opinion.

You realize that we don't have Nash under control? What do you think we can get for Nash?

Again, I'm not expecting him to be an all star or anything, but as an athletic stopper off the bench, he could be a useful piece. If we can get a future first too, all the better.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
More from Marc Stein @ ESPN:

If the Knicks and Suns can come to terms on a deal, Nash would receive a three-year deal in the $25 million range and Phoenix would receive Shumpert and a handful of cap-friendly contracts such as Toney Douglas, Josh Harrellson and Jerome Jordan.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8129885/sources-new-york-knicks-pursue-options-land-steve-nash

At that price, Nash would be averaging $8.3 mil/season & taking $11 million less than Toronto is offering. I don't think the deal works financially though because the salaries of Shumpert ($1.5 mil, 4 more yrs), Douglas ($1.1/2yrs), Harrellson (500K/2yrs) & Jordan (500K/2yrs) are only about $3.7 mil...

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You realize that we don't have Nash under control? What do you think we can get for Nash?

Again, I'm not expecting him to be an all star or anything, but as an athletic stopper off the bench, he could be a useful piece. If we can get a future first too, all the better.

If NY wants him that bad & Shumpert is the best player they can give us then at least 1 1st rd pick is in order & cash to cover the costs of cutting the garbage filler players that they're sending us. The salaries aren't close to matching at this point so they're going to need to include someone else... possibly a resigned Lin to a reasonable contract.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Cue the "Marshall-ing a New Era" headlines in the local rags the day after Nash leaves.

As for Nash to NYK, I'd prefer that deal for the Suns over signing Gordon to max money.

Marshall-Shumpert-Beasley-Morris-Gortat

Dudley-Frye-Brown-Telfair-Douglas-Warrick-Childress-Jordan-Harellson

Sign me up and here's why:

That's good for 27 to 30 wins, if that. But, we have roster and cap flexibility, we retain our capspace into next season, we have a HIGH draft pick, and we have a young core that only needs a top-of-the-lottery PF to make it complete.

Let the rebuilding commence....

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I saw a fair amount of Shumpert last year and thought he was awful. If the Suns get him, I desperately hope he's re-routed to New Orleans as part of a Gordon deal.

He's one of the best on-ball defenders I've ever seen.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lin has been offered $8m per year from HOU. We ain't getting him in a S&T for $5m per year....
Leave it to Houston to overpay for a young PG that played well for a few weeks... are they just trying to recapture some of the Asian market that deserted the team once Yao retired?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shumpert is Raja Bell without the chip on his shoulder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's already been said but RealGm has Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas and Dan Gadzuric as the pieces.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
you guys remember that schumpert played for mike dantoni when he was playing right? how you can write him off after knowing that is beyond me.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Maybe it's already been said but RealGm has Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas and Dan Gadzuric as the pieces.

That would cost us about 4M$ caproom. Not sure if that is good enough for us to do a sign and trade.

Is Shumpert worth it instead of using the caproom? No interest in Douglas.

And how would Shumpert fit in? And how long will his recovery take? He will probably not be ready to play before the allstar break.
Beasley/Dudley
Gordon/Shumpert
Marshall/Douglas/Telfair

?

Plus it looks like we are looking at a veteran PG like Felton.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shumpert can't shoot, but I think Raja Bells defense was terribly overrated.

Raja seemed to lose some of his intensity on defense after the Kobe Bryant incident. Before that he was very good defensively and not overrated at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The better question is how does Gordon fit in? Let Gordon be. Do not max a player for the sake of maxing a player....

If there is a verbal agreement between Gordon and the Suns for the max it is all over if NO decides not to match. One cannot backtrack and be credible in the NBA.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
you guys remember that schumpert played for mike dantoni when he was playing right? how you can write him off after knowing that is beyond me.

For whatever reason, he was playing PG whenever I watched. (Is he supposed to be more of a SG?) He showed absolutely no intuition for how to run an offense or even make a good decision, and he seemed very turnover-prone (although I see that, statistically, his turnover rate was not especially high). But if the Suns would be using him instead as a backup, defensive-oriented SG, that wouldn't bother me so much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan