Crap Bowl 2003 - Suns vs. Clippers

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Down by 20+ to the Clippers...Where do we flush this team?

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Well, so far we're sitting at the #5 pick in the draft. Too bad it's going to be such a weak draft. :(

Not if we could trade up for Pavel....or if lightening struck!

FrustratedSON

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns... The team that took their season and flushed it completely down the toilet.

ala Marty McFly and his life.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Pavel Podkolzine... It is amazing how quickly people get enamored with size.

I would be willing to bet that this guy will have chronic ankle problems for his entire career.

I would rather have Emeka Okafor or Dwight Howard if we are going for frontcourt help via draft.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
I doubt anyone would cry if we got Pavel.

The Rockets arnt crying over Ming thats for sure!

We need defense in the middle...we're soft and Pavel is definatly worth the gamble. I meen how many dunks can we endure????

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It is not.

Pavel was going to declare for last year's draft but his stock was falling.

He already had ankle injuries in the past.

He is still a project in europe, at least last year he was and I haven't heard anything on him.

Yao Ming was DOMINATING his league when he was drafted.

You don't draft size you draft the best player available.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
WOW, Williams, White & Googs on the court AT THE SAME TIME. Can't say if I've ever seen that combo before. Like "Groundhog Day" but only different is just different. :)

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Here is Pavel's impressive statistics from 2002-2003

10 Games Played
2.4ppg
0.3bpg at 7'5..............
0.1apg
2.0rpg
57%FT

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Marbury is having a hell of a game. If the suns win, it is purely because of him. He has to have like 4 or 5 steals, a block I just saw, and a ton of deflections. Not to mention near 30 points. Anyone have a dime count?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
27 points 9 assists 5 rebounds 5 steals 1 block 0 turnovers

Too bad we won't win, we are outrebounded by 21!

And it took D'antoni 3 quarters to utilize some size.

Last edited:

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pavel was going to declare for last year's draft but his stock was falling.

I thought he was fully healthy but pulled out cause he thought he was going to go in the top three but the info he got said otherwise. He was still a lottery lock it seemed but what got me (as shallow as it sounds) was when he said something like 'i'm going to prove everyone one wrong and come back next year.' What ever he said it seemed pretty gutsy for a guy from europe who probably would have got a guaranteed contract.

Especially if he thought he was any chance of getting injured between this and next years draft

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
back to the game - no hardaway in the 4th again but we're within twelve with three minutes to go.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Shawn Marion 6-21....

Without Marbury they get blown out by 40.

30pts 9ast 7reb 5stl 1blk 0turnovers

There is no improvement at all with D'antoni. None. The defense is worse than before.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
More Pavel

I believe the ankle "problem" was nothing more than an unconfirmed rumor.

Anyway here is an article on him...

CBS.SportsLine.com - Notebook: 'Siberian Shaq' might go No. 4 in NBA Draft
Address:http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/6415542

You cant ignore his size...and sounds like he has some potential

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Here is the article..

CHICAGO -- There he was, 7-foot-5 of long, strong proof that the legend of Pavel Podkolzine, the Siberian Shaq, the Ivan Drago of basketball, was, indeed, very much a reality.
In front of about 100 representatives from all 29 NBA teams, Podkolzine went through a private workout here at the Gold Coast Multiplex health club Friday. He showed he could handle the ball. He showed he could shoot the ball. He showed he could get up and down the court with stunning speed and ease.
And mainly he showed he is every bit the 7-5, 295 pounds of hoops prodigy that had the league buzzing with intrigue all year.
Darko Milicic, the 7-1 Serbian 17-year-old, may be the toast of the international players in the draft -- almost certain to go No. 2 to Detroit. But Podkolzine, an 18-year-old from remote Siberia, Russia, is gaining fast. After an impressive showing Friday, he may wind up as high as No. 4. Or who knows, maybe higher?
"He is big," said Toronto Raptors general manager Glen Grunwald, whose team just happens to pick fourth. "He showed pretty good athleticism and he is skilled. For 18-years-old, he obviously has a bright future. Just seeing him here, he can move pretty well, his feet are pretty good. It looked like he had decent hands.
"His size is," Grunwald smiled before pausing. "Well, you just can't really teach that."
This was truly something else. Watching Podkolzine go through a work out run by CBA coach Bill Bayno left mouths agape across the league. As these events are prone to be about, there was no competition and nothing was attempted that could put the big Russian in a bad light. But it was a sight to see nonetheless.
Before the workout Podkolzine was little more than a rumor to most NBA execs. "He was a 7-foot-5, 300 pound figment of imagination," said one Western Conference scout.
By the time he showed light feet, skilled hands and a decent jump shot -- not to mention Shaqesque size -- he had turned almost the entire draft on its ear.
If last year's was about the arrival of mammoth Yao Ming of China, then Russia, the other old communist empire of Asia, is poised to answer this time around.
"He reminds me of Yao because he combines skills with that size," Bayno said. "I think he is heavier and stronger than Yao although Yao is more skilled. He has a great lower body. He could be in shape at 350 down the road. And he can really run. He is faster than he knows."
One thing that is appealing to scouts is that Podkolzine is a true, massive man. Although he says Tracy McGrady is his favorite player, there is no would-be shooting guard trying to break out of his shell. This is a guy who is willing to bang Shaquille O'Neal on the blocks. In two years he could be a serious offensive force.
"A lot of European big guys like to stay on the perimeter, you can't move them into the post," said Bayno. "He likes it inside even though he likes to shoot the ball."
Podkolzine hails from the city of Novosibirsk, the capital of Siberia and home to about 1.5 million people. The teenager said through his translator that it was, yes, very cold there. It was a tough place to grow up and poverty is extreme in the harsh region of a depressed empire.
He played the past two years for Varese, an A1 team in the Italian Professional League, which is where he gained a cult following from scouts. But for a variety of reasons he often saw only limited playing time. So no one was completely certain about him.
Friday he became the talk of a draft that had been searching for a fourth pick after the lock top three of LeBron James, Milicic and Carmelo Anthony. Podkolzine could now be that guy. In one half-hour workout he blew American big men Chris Kaman and Chris Bosh out of the water.
"That is why he just made (the league execs) jobs tougher," said Bayno. "If you look at potential, I don't know how you can pass on him."
Despite all the fuss and pressure of Friday afternoon's workout, Podkolzine was relaxed and smiling. He doesn't speak much English but he obviously has personality. It's sort of like the likeable Yao.
"I was very surprised to see this much people (at the work out)," Podkolzine said through a translator. "I thought less people. All the famous players, the GMs in the history of the NBA. I am only a young prospect but I will work very hard to be a player. I hope one team signs me for this project."
Can you imagine the marketing possibilities here? Somebody get Sylvester Stallone out of mothballs and film a Rocky IV remake as a Sprite commercial.
At this point anything is possible. He has only seen minimal coaching and only played three years of competitive ball. His upside is immense. Which is why the top half of the lottery was reshuffled after one very simple workout on a rainy Chicago afternoon.
Big is always big in the NBA. And Podkolzine almost redefines the word big.
"He works hard, he is coachable," said his U.S.-based agent Justin Zanik. "The kid is a blank slate. He could go as high as top 10, top five. The sky is the limit."

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
And Darko Milicic also said that Pavel Podkolzine has broken feet and can't move.

If we are looking just for defense you have to go with Emeka Okafor. He is one of the best defenders in college basketball ever.

He is a leader and he will definately make an impact and be ready to play.

He is an absolutely first class student also, certainly a person that the Suns would love to have on their team.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Too bad we won't win, we are outrebounded by 21!

And it took D'antoni 3 quarters to utilize some size.

With the lack of depth upfront he almost has to wait 3 quarters. If he does it any sooner they could quickly get in some bad foul trouble.

Shawn Marion had a terrible game tonight. Right now is the Phoenix Suns are going to win are going to have to get good/ great games from almost everyone. As good as Stephon Marbury was for most of the game, he was taking some really poor shots when the Clippers ran away.

Marion and Marbury were a combined 15-45 from the field, but at least Marbury went to the line a lot.

BTW we've been saying repeatedly that Marion needs to stop trying to avoid contact when he goes to the basket. However I don't think it's fair to say he needs to do it like Corey Magette. When Magette goes to the basket people move out-of-the-way and swipe at the ball because he is so strong and powerful. It doesn't happen when Shawn Marion goes to the basket.

Marbury is definitely starting to get upset.

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
Marbury is definitely starting to get upset.

Joe Mama

Are we really surprised?

And IMO, he has reason to. This isn't New Jersey, but we're playing like his New Jersey teams.