Culpepper to Cardinals??

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:
we need to put down the koolaid. the price for a multiple pro bowl QB in the prime of his career under a long term contract is WAY more than a single first round draft choice.
You watch. If Culpepper gets traded next year (to us or anyone), it's for a number one and a mid-round player or a mid-round pick.

spanky1

Reaction score
Pariah said:
You watch. If Culpepper gets traded next year (to us or anyone), it's for a number one and a mid-round player or a mid-round pick.

Pariah,

How about a #1 next year and a low round coach.....Everett Lindsay.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Pariah said:
If that's the case then let's get that deal done. I know Green likes his draft choices but a mid first rounder,a later round pick, and, say, Pace is a no-brainer, done deal to me.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
john h said:
I believe in anything now. Rumors are out the Tribune may consider selling the Cubs. The Tribune stock is down about 20% and they are considering getting back to their core business. Bring on some zillionaire like Steinbrenner to buy the Cubs and our payroll will go from $100 mil to $200 mil. Move over Yankees and Boston. Estimated value of Cubs $550-$600 mil.

And the Cubs will still STINK like a day old bag of garbage. :biglaugh:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wembley88 said:
So lets bring him in because we have a bad line, no running game.....
What does getting a QB have to do with our line? Should we not address the problem because we don't have a good line?

I'd like to think we could multitask in the off season.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'd like to think we could multitask in the off season.

Heh, only a Cardinals fan could understand the hilarity of this statement... :D

BTW, I would give the house for a QB like Daunte. Absolute no brainer. If they want a first, give them a first, but I agree, it will probably take more than that. Get two new decent starters on the o-line, a stud DT, and that's really all you need.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
en fuego said:
man, I hate to keep beating on the drum, but i dont think the Vikings would attribute ANY value to a backup defensive end, an unproductive third receiver, a guard on the worst offensive line in the NFL, a backup center or a highly paid underperforming right tackle.

The Vikings watch film too.

we need to put down the koolaid. the price for a multiple pro bowl QB in the prime of his career under a long term contract is WAY more than a single first round draft choice.

You are way off on this subject....the highest trade value in the NFL is for players who have yet to be drafted...the choice leads to more of a bounty than a player who has alreadt established his worth as well as his flaws. There is little precedence for a productive QB in his prime being traded so he will get a little more than they got for Moss, but only slightly.....

but this is not the NBA...with no guaranteed contracts, the time it takes to integrate a new player, and salary cap implications Daunte does not go for more than a couple picks and a player...i would say a first, second, and a young player although recent past has shown that even that is too much for an established player. Since the Cowboys came out WAY ahead in the Herschel Walker trade, teams have relaized system, age, and production can all be causes in a dramatic downturn when a player comes to a new team. Even if Ton Brady was traded to the cards there is no guarantee he by himself (i wont even say team wise) will have the same kind of production. talent matters in the NFL but not as much as having the correct talent for what the coaches run.

So put this altogether as well as Wilf has no allegiance to Daunte, has not been there for his success, and is VERY upset about the scandal and is looking for someone to make an example of. No one bigger than Daunte and if his atrocious season keeps up and they get a top 3 pick, i would make a strong bet they go for a new QB in the draft and try to get our #1. If that pick is 8 or below i do it....otherwise im not sure......

but EJ, Alexander, and even Rivers will get less than you expect and I could see Denny going for this since you know he trusts Daunte and NEEDS to win next year.......

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Heh, only a Cardinals fan could understand the hilarity of this statement... :D

BTW, I would give the house for a QB like Daunte. Absolute no brainer. If they want a first, give them a first, but I agree, it will probably take more than that. Get two new decent starters on the o-line, a stud DT, and that's really all you need.

Give them McCown (I like McCown, but for Duante, Adios), BJ, Pace... and a 1st

FJM

Registered
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Are we serious? Culpepper is better than any QB who has sniffed a Cardinal Uniform in a LONG time. I know, he is playing badly. Let's see, they have no running game, a bad line who lost one starter and lost their best one to injury, and traded away their best WR. He'd be an upgrade for sure.

However, it will never happen :D

Gee, that sounds like Jake.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
Give them McCown (I like McCown, but for Duante, Adios), BJ, Pace...

Nice idea, but we'd have to throw in a first, no matter what I think.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Not sure if this was posted.

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]St. Paul Pioneer Press (registration required)
Pioneer Press columnist Charley Walters believes the Vikings could obtain San Diego QB Philip Rivers with a high 2006 first-round draft pick. Trading their current QB, Dante Culpepper, to Arizona just may get them the bargaining chip they're looking for.
[/font]

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Not sure if this was posted.

[font=verdana,arial,helvetica]St. Paul Pioneer Press (registration required)
Pioneer Press columnist Charley Walters believes the Vikings could obtain San Diego QB Philip Rivers with a high 2006 first-round draft pick. Trading their current QB, Dante Culpepper, to Arizona just may get them the bargaining chip they're looking for.
[/font]

Thats where the rumor started. Its also the very reason why I don't trust it.

I don't trust rumors that get started by columnists. They're highly unreliable and it was probably a way for the guy to get his name out there

Culpepper will still be a Viking next year IMO

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I heard the same rumor on the radio this morning. Also read something similar on ESPN's website.

I'm willing to bet that Culpepper will be a Viking next year. But it certainly isn't such a far fetched idea IMO.

Have to fix the line though...

chickenhead

Reaction score
The addition of Culpepper would turn our offense from hyped potential to legitimate freak passing game. The same O-line and RB issues would have to be addressed, but man, this sounds too good to be true. Which is what I assume it is. But if they can make it happen...

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
chickenhead said:
The addition of Culpepper would turn our offense from hyped potential to legitimate freak passing game. The same O-line and RB issues would have to be addressed, but man, this sounds too good to be true. Which is what I assume it is. But if they can make it happen...

:stupid: I would be ecstatic cuz our QB problem would be done in one shot and then the O-line could be addresed totally thru FA's and the draft.....if it would ever happen. I'm not overly optimistic it'll ever happen tho...but then again...

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
To me, the book is still out on Culpepper without Moss. But two things that should be considered are: 1. Every qb in Minnesota that's played with Moss has looked good. 2. How well is Culpepper doing with no running game and a poor o-line right now? Why would he improve going to a comparable/worse situation?

Lastly, something that isn't an issue at this point but will be eventually is his size/weight. A large part of his dominance a couple of years ago was his ability to run and that is slowly fading. He was getting runs of 20, 30 and 40+ his first few years in the league and has a high of 16 last year and 18 this year. A guy that size will likely have knee problems if his weight isn't held in check.

To me, the money, draft pick(s) and uncertainty of whether he can succeed without Moss would make acquiring him risky.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
Lastly, something that isn't an issue at this point but will be eventually is his size/weight. A large part of his dominance a couple of years ago was his ability to run and that is slowly fading. He was getting runs of 20, 30 and 40+ his first few years in the league and has a high of 16 last year and 18 this year. A guy that size will likely have knee problems if his weight isn't held in check.
He doesn'thave any history of knee problems, right? If that's so, then you're just guessing. There are plenty of big guys that have very long careers.

Bettis, for one. And he takes one hell of a lot more pounding than Culpepper does.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
2005 McWarner: 1,768 yards 6 td 8 int 3 fumbles
2005 Culpepper: 1,536 yards 6 td 12 int 5 fumbles

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
If your comparing Culpepper here vs MIN you also have to take into account how good the recievers are.

Apart from Troy Williamson (sp?) they don't really have any one of note. I believe Q and Fitz would make Culppeper better. Because I believe that is exactly what they have done for Josh.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
He doesn'thave any history of knee problems, right? If that's so, then you're just guessing.
I hope I didn't imply that I wasn't guessing. It's an educated guess though. I can't think of too many other near 300 pound qb's so there isn't much of a precident. The hits and situations that a qb is continually in just lends to my theory and if he was behind Arizona's line I'm sure he'd be taking that many more chances.

I'm pretty sure Bettis has had knee surgery. Regardless, for every Bettis there are 50 rb's that had to retire.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
moklerman said:
To me, the book is still out on Culpepper without Moss. But two things that should be considered are: 1. Every qb in Minnesota that's played with Moss has looked good. 2. How well is Culpepper doing with no running game and a poor o-line right now? Why would he improve going to a comparable/worse situation?

To me, the money, draft pick(s) and uncertainty of whether he can succeed without Moss would make acquiring him risky.

We have have Fitz and Boldin...and his old coach.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If your comparing Culpepper here vs MIN you also have to take into account how good the recievers are.
I understand what you mean but I didn't want to get into that argument. I agree that the wr's in Arizona are likely better than Burelson/Taylor/Robinson in Minnesota but I also believe the o-line and rb's are better (right now) there too. Which is more valuable? I don't know, so I just look at the production and compare.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
We have have Fitz and Boldin...and his old coach.
I'm not arguing what might or might not happen, just what I might do. It's obvious Denny will go that extra mile to acquire "his" guys (Fitzgerald), so it's very possible that Arizona might get Culpepper if he's available. I just don't think it's going to solve anything in terms of wins or even necessarily longevity at the qb position for Arizona if they do.

Fitz and Boldin are really good but Moss is on a level all his own. All the jump balls that padded Culpepper's stat's in his time with Moss have instantly disappeared with Moss gone and McCown's jump balls to Fitz and Boldin haven't produced any real success to this point so substituting Culpepper for McCown doesn't seem like as much of a no-brainer to me as it does to others.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
I hope I didn't imply that I wasn't guessing. It's an educated guess though. I can't think of too many other near 300 pound qb's so there isn't much of a precident. The hits and situations that a qb is continually in just lends to my theory and if he was behind Arizona's line I'm sure he'd be taking that many more chances.

I'm pretty sure Bettis has had knee surgery. Regardless, for every Bettis there are 50 rb's that had to retire.

I'd agree here, it is a guess as Pariah said but it's almost a safe guess given his size, how much he runs, and that he plays on a turf notorious for knee injuries. I've always said the one fear on Culpepper is he's so big he'll slow down earlier than the typical good running QB does and he DOES appear to be doing that before he's even 30.

That said, the guy is way beyond what we have now. Did having Moss make him look better, of course it did, no question, but here he'd have Boldin and Fitz we've already seen proof that they can make the QB look better, what will they do with a much more talented QB like Culpepper?

The other thing is a guy like him might help you in recruiting free agents, might I say because I don't really know what the perception around the league is about him, saying he's going to fine teammates may not sit too well around the league. But on talent I think it's easier to convince Joe Right guard to sign with us we have Culpepper, than sign with us we have McCown and Warner.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A vikings fan in my office poked his head into my office and said

"Culpepper to the cardinals, wow that could be interesting"

I was busy and didnt have time to get into a conversation but I was surprised this rumor has floated around that much.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05