Reaction score
Defections:

None

Additions:

None

Scheduled UFA Visits:

None

UFAs Tied to rumored Cardinals' Interest Signed:

CB Brandon Carr---signs with the Ravens (4/$24M) to complete a secondary of CB Jimmy Smith, SS Tony Jefferson and FS Eric Weddle.

CB Morris Claiborne---reportedly signing with the Jets, thus eliminating the romantic thought of an LSU DB trio of Pat P. Honey Badger and Mo C.

UFAs Tied to rumored Cardinals' Interest:

CB Jerraud Powers---Powers, who turns 30 in July, fits right in line with the Cardinals' off-season signings as a low budget, veteran returnee. He is coming off a season as one of the Ravens' nickel CBs who played in 13 games (ankle injury) and recorder 33 tackles, 2 interceptions and 5 passes defended. The main issue with Powers has been his durability---he broke down at the end of his last two seasons with the Cardinals and was ineffective in the playoffs, much like teammate FS Rashad Johnson (who all is available at a position that currently is unmanned).

Here we are 8 days in a free agency where Steve Keim vowed "to be aggressive"---and unthinkably the #2 CB situation has not been addressed, nor has the RG situation, nor the #2 WR and #2 TE situations, nor the FS situation (left vacant by the departure of D.J. Swearinger), nor the kickoff and punt returner situation, nor the STs upgrade situation (aside from the best signing of all, K Phil Dawson).

Adding veterans in their 30s does little to nothing to help STs.

Making matters worse, because of Keim's passive approach to free agency, it now behooves the Cardinals to take a CB and a FS in two of its top three picks. This in a draft where many feel the Cardinals need to select their QBOF. But, with Karlos Dansby on a one year deal, it also behooves the Cardinals to draft one of the better ILBs in this draft.

All this compounded by BA's avowal that rookies the days are better off spending a year or two on the bench while learning the Cardinals' uber-complex systems.

Imagine how it is going to feel if the Cardinals draft ILB Reuben Foster at #13 and he sits idly on the sidelines all year while Dansby gets all the reps.

Rookie CB Search:

How many of the CBs in this year's draft are savvy and talented enough to come in and start right away at the designated attack position opposite Patrick Peterson?

Some of us, including myself, felt that the niftiest fit at CB at #13 was Sidney Jones of Washington. Alas, Jones tore his Achilles on the last drill of his Pro Day workout.

The most gifted CB in the draft is Marshon Lattimore of Ohio St. He is likely to be the first CB taken and should be off the board at #13.

Many pundits now, including ESPN's Todd McShay, have the Cardinals taking Tre-Davious White of LSU at #13. While White is an excellent prospect, he is not, imo, one of the top 15 talents in this draft. And i wonder if he can come right in and start. He certainly can come right in and be the punt returner, an area in which he excels. But, White lacks the physical style of CB play and a press corner that the Cardinals like to covet. He has some similar traits to Marcus Cooper, as he tends to be better off playing with cushion and coming up to make plays on the ball. But, similarly to Cooper, White is not a very good tackler in run support. But he flies around and he is a fluid athlete. **** Tabor of Florida also fits this mold and he is better ballhawk than White, but not quite as fast.

Two of the more physical CBs in this draft are Marlon Humphrey of Alabama and Quincy Wilson of Florida. In terms of overall fit, they would seem like stronger options than White.

Perhaps the most complete CB all the way around is Gareon Conley of Ohio St. He can press and he can shadow, and he's a willing and able tackler.

In the second round, two CBs who could fit the bill are Kevin King of Washington and Rasul Douglas of West Virginia. They each bring a tenacity and physical presence to the position.

At FS...the plum of the draft is Malik Hooker of Ohio St. He has the total package. But the Cardinals would have to trade up for him and likely have to give up the #77 pick and possibly more to do so. Because so many needs have not been addressed in FA, this may preclude the Cardinals from doing so.

I have been wondering whether Jabrill Peppers' (Michigan) skills could translate well to the role of FS. Some liken him to Troy Polamalu because of his hard charging bursts and tackling ability. But, could Peppers develop the requisite instincts and anticipation to be a good over the top cover FS?

In the second round, two FSs are very intriguing. Budda Baker of Washington and Marcus Williams of Utah. Baker is on the smaller side, but he plays big. He has outstanding instincts and football toughness, Williams is taller and has good range, but is not the enforcer over the middle that Baker is.

The good news is that this draft is deep and very talented at CB and S.

The not so good news is that the Cardinals, having drafted 2 CBs and a FS in rounds 3, 5, 6 last year, are now in the position of having to place a priority on drafting a CB and FS in the first three picks this year. Ideally, this exactly what teams try to avoid---having to stockpile at one or two positions in consecutive drafts, at the expense of neglecting other need areas and/or the BPA philosophy.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I have no problem whatsoever with the way Keim is handling this off season. They have a plan & are sticking to it. No more signing players to bad contracts like years past.
This...and by all accounts, this draft is so deep with DB talent, you'll be able to find starters in the 4th and 4th rounds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Two of the more physical CBs in this draft are Marlon Humphrey of Alabama and Quincy Wilson of Florida. In terms of overall fit, they would seem like stronger options than White.

When talking about the 1st round, and the 1st round only, those are my top 2 cornerbacks. I am not sold on Lattimore playing press coverage in the NFL.

Humphrey is my top guy his skills, tape, and physical attributes speak for themselves, and the next is Quincy Wilson. Why Quincy Wilson ? Because he is a fit for the Cardinals. Great size to play press coverage, played press coverage in college. The only thing that Wilson doesn't have that Humphrey does is recovery speed.

Safety? May goodness, there is so much talent spread throughout the first three rounds of the draft. Obviously if the Cardinals, by pure luck, have the chance to draft Mailk Hooker that would be the optimal, at least in my opinion, for round 1.

That being said, Jamal Adams is an incredible player in his own right, who would be an upgrade from the "in the box" safeties from last season.

Not to mention you cannot deny Obi Melifonwu's physical abilities. Someone with that size and that speed, has to be considered as well, and yes in the first round.

Not to mention some of these guys listed above can/may drop, and in the second round you have players like Cordrea Tankersley, and Adoree Jackson (yes, undersized, yes only a few years playing cornerback, but he just makes plays) at cornerback in the second round, and Marcus Williams and a player I REALLY like Montae Nicholson available at safety in the second round.

...and I could go on.

There is opportunity in the draft.

That being said, they should re-sign Powers at this point, and hopefully at some point they re-sign Mike Jenkins as well. Nothing wrong with bringing a lot of cornerbacks to camp this offseason, because it will end up being a lot like last offseason for this position.

I was not really high on Brandon Carr or Morris Claiborne so I am "meh" about those two going to the Jets.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we're serious about Powers being the answer opposite PP, we've got a problem.

When Powers was on the field for us, he was consistently a half-step late to the ball. Regardless of his physicality or want-to, that half-step is a killer, and our opponents will exploit this with glee.

Agree with Rugby about stockpiling CB's like last year. One difference - we already have a lot of these guys on the roster and don't have to sign or draft as many. Key to all this is how the offseason pgm has improved the play of the guys we've got (i.e. Has the kid from Canada rehabbed OK? Has Brandon W overcome his initial rookie jitters)?

It's scary having to peg our season on the play of a bunch of unproven youngsters, but that may turn out to be the reality. Can't help but wonder, though, whether the newly built up cap-surplus and lack of aggressiveness signing a FA corner might suggest that BA&SK have something hidden up their sleeve; & it involves a cornerback.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kansas City over drafted on DBs and it worked out ok for them. It's a strong draft, let's pick up a few and see how it plays out.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's frustrating that we lost Christian so we could save Buthead and then cut him later anyway. Stuff happens and at least BASK can fix the secondary in a single year through the draft.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious on how much money they have under the cap. They have cut the contracts on both Branch & Bethel and really haven't spent much on any of their free agents. What or whom are they holding the money for??? Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: PJ1

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What are you're thoughts about Desmond King at FS?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If we're serious about Powers being the answer opposite PP, we've got a problem.

When Powers was on the field for us, he was consistently a half-step late to the ball. Regardless of his physicality or want-to, that half-step is a killer, and our opponents will exploit this with glee.

Agree with Rugby about stockpiling CB's like last year. One difference - we already have a lot of these guys on the roster and don't have to sign or draft as many. Key to all this is how the offseason pgm has improved the play of the guys we've got (i.e. Has the kid from Canada rehabbed OK? Has Brandon W overcome his initial rookie jitters)?

It's scary having to peg our season on the play of a bunch of unproven youngsters, but that may turn out to be the reality. Can't help but wonder, though, whether the newly built up cap-surplus and lack of aggressiveness signing a FA corner might suggest that BA&SK have something hidden up their sleeve; & it involves a cornerback.

In regards to Powers, this board in general was lamenting his departure all last offseason and well into the regular season. Now he is available, again.

Just saying. If Powers being the CB#2 is a problem, then it was an even bigger problem last season.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In regards to Powers, this board in general was lamenting his departure all last offseason and well into the regular season. Now he is available, again.

Just saying. If Powers being the CB#2 is a problem, then it was an even bigger problem last season.

I lamented the play at CB2 in the early part of the season but also remembered the pedestrian play by Powers in 2015. I think most would agree that CB3 is his best role.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too much reliance on the draft. If this is being aggressive in FA I am not seeing it.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes in fact it was a bigger problem last year. Counted on Jenkins and then threw an ill prepared rookie in when Jenkins was hurt. Cooper a little better but really wish we would have signed a vet CB.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes in fact it was a bigger problem last year. Counted on Jenkins and then threw an ill prepared rookie in when Jenkins was hurt. Cooper a little better but really wish we would have signed a vet CB.

Counting on Jenkins was suspect though. Grabbing a guy off the scrap heap and expecting him to be a number 2 CB was folly to begin with, injury or not. Doing the same the season and expecting different results seems like the definition of insanity to me.

It just bothers me that a unit that used to be THE strength of a solid defense literally has just ONE dependable player on it.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Here we are 8 days in a free agency where Steve Keim vowed "to be aggressive"---and unthinkably the #2 CB situation has not been addressed, nor has the RG situation, nor the #2 WR and #2 TE situations, nor the FS situation (left vacant by the departure of D.J. Swearinger), nor the kickoff and punt returner situation, nor the STs upgrade situation (aside from the best signing of all, K Phil Dawson).

Adding veterans in their 30s does little to nothing to help STs.

Making matters worse, because of Keim's passive approach to free agency, it now behooves the Cardinals to take a CB and a FS in two of its top three picks. This in a draft where many feel the Cardinals need to select their QBOF. But, with Karlos Dansby on a one year deal, it also behooves the Cardinals to draft one of the better ILBs in this draft.

To me this said it all, Keim made a statement that he would be aggressive in FA and he has done the opposite to date. As the pool of FAs dries up just where does Keim think he is going to find suitable replacements for the losses through FA? The draft cannot fill all the needs both present and future. This is, in all probability Fitz's last year and there is a better than 50-50 chance Palmer goes too. Add in the one year rental of Dansby and you have at least 3 positions that need addressing next year. Add in the present need of a CB, FS, ILB, RG, WR and depth at OLB and unproven depth along the Oline and you have a hell of a lot of holes to fill. If Mathieu follows up this season as another injury plagued one and you then have another hole to fill. There are also questions with anyone behind Gresham too.

Reactions: PJ1

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too much reliance on the draft. If this is being aggressive in FA I am not seeing it.

Ahah yes is funny cause few days before free agency started a resolute steve kleim claim an aggressive approach in free agency
Sometimes is better talking about cactus and coyotes

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't claim that the free agent pool is drying up or has dried up... the top free agents that demand higher salaries is starting to dry up.

Here's a list of current FA CBs: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/available/

There are still some potentially interesting names out there... Revis (probably done), Sam Shields, Brandon Flowers, Alterraun Verner, Ladarius Webb, Patrick Robinson, Justin Gilbert, Brandon Boykin, Asa Jackson, etc etc. There are also guys that we've had before or bought in last year... Jerraud Powers, Crezdon Butler, Greg Toler, Mike Jenkins, Leon Hall. We should be able to find a potential #2 starter from that list to compete with the guys we've already got.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05