Dejan Koturovic

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by yotes1921
His line from the World Championships

In 8 games 6.6pts, 4.4rbs, 1.2ast, 0.2s, 0.6b, 50% for the field and 65% from the line

And that line is very close to what Divac had as well.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is a total surprise to me.

I watched Koturovic for years back in Europe, and I was never really impressed.

He is soft, he doesn't play D and he is freaking old. On the other hand, he can run, and he can make a 15 foot jumper.

I don't understand this signing, but again, I welcome signing anybody who is over 6'8 and 230lb.

jimjames1

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is there anybody on this board who can explain to me why we keep wasting money on these undersized, underskilled European big men? What do they think, that one of these days we're just gonna pick some guy who everybody else overlooked because he's from Europe and only averaged 2.2 points per game in 8 minutes of playing time, and hope the guy actually turns out to be good in the NBA, where the players are better, more physical, and more knowledgable about the American game?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Problem is, it's wrong 718 times a day, as well.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Koturovic is probably more skilled than ~half of the centers in the NBA. In other words above average.
I would think that he is better than Drobnjak but older and has always been a headcase.

Rebraca also signed with the Pistons when he was "old".

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do you guys think that maybe Z had some sort of input in this--like, "Hey guys, take a look at this guy--he would be great for our center rotation!"

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a little bit more optimistic view of the guy from someone who has true access to team sources. Looks like this might have been in the works before the Memphis trade.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/1008suns08-ON.html

Suns signs 7-foot veteran center from Serbia

Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 8, 2003 12:50 PM

Talk about a great deal on a foreclosure.

The Suns may have found their starting center thanks to the bankruptcy of a professional basketball club in Italy.

Dejan Koturovic, a 7-foot, 255-pound Serbian center, signed a free agent contract with the Suns today but did not accompany the club to Denver for a preseason game at the Pepsi Center tonight. Instead, he will work out for the next few days in the Valley.

Koturovic isn't a project. He's an experienced 31-year old veteran of 14 pro seasons in Europe. But when the management of his Division 1 Italian League club, Virtus Bologna in Italy, failed to pay their bills, the team lost its license and Koturovic was free from his contract, which had two seasons, counting this one, remaining on it.

"Maybe you have to be crazy enough to wish to try to catch the last train for the NBA," Koturovic said. "I just want to try to prove myself here, and I hope I will be a success and so will the team."

Koturovic started ahead of Sacramento's Vlade Divac and Seattle's Predrag Drobnjak for Yugoslavia in the semifinals and finals of the World Basketball Championships - won by Yugoslavia - in Indianapolis in 2002.

George Karl, who coached the United States in that tournament, said he remembered Koturovic's game.

"He seemed to be physical," said Karl, who happened to be observing the Suns practices this week. "He rebounded well. And all the big guys over there have a knack for making shots out on the perimeter. I like the personality of getting a more veteran guy for a playoff team. They've already got a couple of 7-footers who are more like project guys."

Koturovic's agent, Rade Filipovich, also represents Phoenix rookie Zarko Cabarkapa. Filipovich said Koturovic passed up contracts worth the U.S. equivalent of $1.5 million in Europe to sign with the Suns for a minimum contract.

"He runs the floor very well," Filipovich said. "He's a solid rebounder, a banger. And he has a good touch from 15 to 17 feet. He's got a good low-post game, left and right hook shots. And he's an experienced player, a veteran with a lot of important games behind him."

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
By Mike Tulumello, Tribune

The Suns, struggling to find an answer at their ever-changing center spot, have added another candidate: 7-footer Dejan Koturovic. He has been the starting center for the national team of Yugoslavia (now called Serbia-Montenegro), including that nation's first-place finish in the World Championships in Indianapolis last year.

"He's a 'five' with good all-round skills," said Suns president Bryan Colangelo. "And he's not afraid to bang."

The 260-pound center "has a very good (shooting) touch. . . .and he runs the floor well for his size," says his agent, Rade Filipovich.

"He has low post moves, a left- and right-hand hook.

Koturovic, 31, played for an Italian team that went bankrupt, allowing him to become a free agent, Filipovich said. Koturovic could have made more than $1 million in Europe, but has no guarantee with the Suns, Filipovich said. The center will try to squeeze on the club's roster and make the rookie-minimum salary of about $370,000, the agent said.

"We trust this organization, this coaching staff," said Filipovich, who also serves as the agent for promising rookie Zarko Cabarkapa. "He's a veteran player, just a rookie in the NBA."

The club's perennial problems at the spot have been amplified by the trade of Jake Tsakalidis and injuries to Scott Williams and Jake Voskuhl.

Williams is expected to miss the season's first several games with a hand injury. Voskuhl, who has a sore left foot, has been cleared to play but will be brought along slowly.

The Suns are expected to start a three-forward lineup tonight at Denver, with Amare Stoudemire serving as a nominal center. Players who could get time at center include Nick Sheppard, a training camp invitee, Cezary Trybanski and forward Robert Archibald. "We're going to see how he (Koturovic) stacks up with these other guys," Colangelo said.

Koturovic will work out in Phoenix, then join the team on Friday, Colangelo said.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This guy is here to play. He's not just here "for a look" in training camp.

Zarko, it turns out, is close friends with him and was his roommate on the Olympic team. Zarko says on Suns.com that Dejan is here to play for the Suns "this year."

So, what has happened. The Suns found out that this guy was going to be available and they wanted him.

They also have been monitoring Big Jakes progress all summer through his international play. They were convinced that they wanted Dejan over Jake.

So they trade Jake and Bo, save a million this year, and a bunch more next.

They sign Dejan for @ $350,000, and some extra dough to pick up DerMarr Johnson along the way.

These guys are such idiots, they can't do anything right. ;)

Last edited:

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Originally posted by JCSunsfan
They sign Dejan for @ $350,000, and some extra dough to pick up DerMarr Johnson along the way.

These guys are such idiots, they can't do anything right. ;)

It's amazing how fast information travels.

:D

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
He started at Center for a 1st Place team in the World Championships? Good enough for me!

Role players with attitude and game are exactly what this team needs. The fact that he's 7' is icing on the cake.

Attachments

• dejan_koturovic.jpg
    dejan_koturovic.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 401

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Sounds like an anger-management class may have done him some good...

2003-08-16
Koturovic back in Serbo-Montenegrin fold

SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO. Serbia & Montenegro coach Dusko Vujosevic has welcomed wayward centre Dejan Koturovic back into the national squad with the European Championships just weeks away.

Serbia & Montenegro coach Dusko Vujosevic has welcomed wayward centre Dejan Koturovic back into the national squad with the European Championships just weeks away.

Koturovic lost his rag during the world and European champions' 81:61 defeat by Greece in Thessaloniki last month and was consequently thrown out of the squad.

But Vujosevic has now had a change of heart - perhaps brought on by his players' wish to see the 31-year-old back in the squad - and was quick to praise Koturovic's attitude since his exclusion.

"Koturovic is in our team again, and my original decision to exclude him seems to have had a good effect on him," he said.

"He showed an excellent attitude after he was excluded, and has demonstrated how keen he is play for Serbia & Montenegro again."

"Our players have been telling the captain Predrag Stojakovic that they wanted Koturovic back in the squad."

Belgrade-born Koturovic could now play in the two warm-up games against Greece in Vrsac on Sunday and in his home city a day later. And he is a virtual certainty to be selected for the squad for the European Championships in Sweden, which begin on September 5.

"I think that Vujosevic made an excellent decision," claimed Koturovic.

"I made a mistake in Greece and I have apologised to the coach and my team-mates."

"My recall is a victory for Serbian basketball, not for me or for anyone else."

But Vujosevic was keen to sound a note of caution as his team prepare to defend their title next month.

"The decision to bring back Koturovic does not mean that the disciplinary code has been relaxed," he warned.

"Discipline is something that we always need."

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm still withholding judgement. I hope this guy can help, but I want to see him play first.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
looks like he's got some beef. hopefully he'll add something. i'm not holding out hope that he's the second coming. but if he's good for 15-20 min a game, it's a good signing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eric, where are you?

Don't you have any observations on this?

Ya think this might be why we had no interest in Deke? We just wanted to go a little younger.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zarko, it turns out, is close friends with him and was his roommate on the Olympic team. Zarko says on Suns.com that Dejan is here to play for the Suns "this year."

So, what has happened. The Suns found out that this guy was going to be available and they wanted him.

They also have been monitoring Big Jakes progress all summer through his international play. They were convinced that they wanted Dejan over Jake.

So they trade Jake and Bo, save a million this year, and a bunch more next.

These guys are such idiots, they can't do anything right.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you sure about this? You don't think it has anything to do with the other two going down? (Voskhul and Williams).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by ...tTs*...
quote:

you sure about this? You don't think it has anything to do with the other two going down? (Voskhul and Williams).

I don't. He was offered contracts worth about 5x what we gave him. If he honestly felt that he wouldn't get any PT here why would he come? I'm of the opinion this has been in the works for awhile.

yotes1921

Rookie
Reaction score
I guess I don’t understand some of skepticism about this. Very little price for someone who might contribute a lot. I’ve have seen how excited people get when we get a little production from our other centers in the past. If this guy can provide that kind of play on a consistent basis (making this assumption because he is a veteran and has played a lot of ball) then it could add a new dimension to this team. Not to mention the help he could provide to Z if nothing more just make Z feel more comfortable.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/z_diary.html

My old teammate Dejan Koturovic is coming into town today. We just found out he’s also going to play for the Suns this season, which I’m excited about. Now there’s one more Yugoslavian in the NBA!

We were roommates for about a month during the World Championships in Indiana last summer and became close friends. He’s a great player, too. He really played a big role in our team winning the gold medal and he will be a good addition to this Suns team. I think you’re going to like him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's 7-0, he's got some meat on him. He has international experience. He's not 35 plus years old. He has some athleticism and speed. He likes to bang. He's got a Gold medal and was a starter on that team. He's played on a team with NBA talent and started over Divac and Drobjnak. Zarko is his buddy.

We're paying him $350,000.

Its kind of hard to find something bad about this.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Eric, where are you?

Heh, I'm everyone's favorite grouch.

Don't you have any observations on this?

Sure, I think it's a good low-risk move that might pay off a bit. I seriously doubt that Koturovic is going to be a major contributor, but for the money he'll be making, who cares?

Ya think this might be why we had no interest in Deke? We just wanted to go a little younger.

LOL, yeah, a "little" younger. I don't see a connection, frankly. Mutombo is a proven NBA All-Star. Sure, he can't move as well as he used to, but he's certainly a much better player than any random unknown second-tier European out there.

However, if this has been in the works for a while, it does help explain the decision to dump Tsakalidis.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ...tTs*...

Originally posted by SunsTzu
I don't. He was offered contracts worth about 5x what we gave him. If he honestly felt that he wouldn't get any PT here why would he come? I'm of the opinion this has been in the works for awhile.

This is from an article on Suns.com

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/report_031008.html

“He’s more of a banger than he is a skill guy, and he's got experience at the five position,” said Suns President General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “We’re going to see what kind of shape he’s in, what kind of condition he’s in and we’re going to see how he stacks up with these other guys. Obviously, with Scott (Williams) being out for the next six weeks (after thumb surgery) and with (Jake) Voskuhl’s (Achilles) injury status uncertain right now, it has forced us to look at alternatives.”

That certainly makes it sound like the injuries forced the Suns' hand.

Joe

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Joe Mama
This is from an article on Suns.com

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/report_031008.html

“He’s more of a banger than he is a skill guy, and he's got experience at the five position,” said Suns President General Manager Bryan Colangelo. “We’re going to see what kind of shape he’s in, what kind of condition he’s in and we’re going to see how he stacks up with these other guys. Obviously, with Scott (Williams) being out for the next six weeks (after thumb surgery) and with (Jake) Voskuhl’s (Achilles) injury status uncertain right now, it has forced us to look at alternatives.”

That certainly makes it sound like the injuries forced the Suns' hand.

Joe

Those guys should be back to 100% before the 1st month of the season is done regardless. I feel this is a move that was going to be done in any event. I just don't see this guy giving up over a mil to come here and not play.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility that a European player might give up a little guaranteed money in Europe for the sake of playing in the NBA. Even if he plays very little, it means something to be able that he played in the NBA.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by capologist
I don’t think it’s beyond the realm of possibility that a European player might give up a little guaranteed money in Europe for the sake of playing in the NBA. Even if he plays very little, it means something to be able that he played in the NBA.

It's not really a little money his giving up. He was offered contract worth around 1.5 mil and he signed here for a lil over 350,000. I can understand wanting to see how well you can do in the best league in the world. I just don't think that he'd come here at such a big paycut unless he knew he was going to get a real chance to play.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake