Diamondbacks vs. Giants thread April 29 - May 1

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately... who's going to replace Putz as the closer? We don't have anyone really.. I could see Hernandez doing it maybe. Don't say Bell.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a pitcher who's throwing a great game.. 9th inning in a 1 run game, lead off hitter reaches base and your closer is ready and you bring him in..? How's that UNcommon. We're not talking about Verlander here buddy

If your closer is "ready" and you aren't willing to let him ride out the inning then you don't let him hit. Good grief that is basic managing.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your closer is "ready" and you aren't willing to let him ride out the inning then you don't let him hit. Good grief that is basic managing.

The issue isn't pulling him, it is letting him hit second in the order in a one run game one a short leash. It is idiotic.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
You have a pitcher who's throwing a great game.. 9th inning in a 1 run game, lead off hitter reaches base and your closer is ready and you bring him in..? How's that UNcommon. We're not talking about Verlander here buddy

Sorry, but I think you're alone on this. Cahill was only at 88 pitches, is a groundball MACHINE, and Putz is nearly at 50% in save opportunities. Stupid, stupid move on Gibby's part. Should have let Cahill finish it.

No way Sandoval homers off of Cahill.

Screw the players egos. Make Reynolds the closer already. They would be about 5 games up in first place if it wasn't for all the damn blown saves.

I hope Gibby learned something tonight.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Unfortunately... who's going to replace Putz as the closer? We don't have anyone really.. I could see Hernandez doing it maybe. Don't say Bell.

Bell.

He has been pitching well. I'd say Hernandez but he has been pretty much all over the place recently.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The issue isn't pulling him, it is letting him hit second in the order in a one run game one a short leash. It is idiotic.

Maybe you should apply for the job? If Putz would have converted the save you wouldn't have said anything about it. I'm sure Gibson knew all along Cahill was on a short leash going out there. In a tight game like that you expect your closer to CLOSE the game. If we had a 2 or 3 run lead, Cahill finishes the game.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Screw the players egos. Make Reynolds the closer already. They would be about 5 games up in first place if it wasn't for all the damn blown saves.

I agree with that much of what you said. Putz has been the weak spot on the weakest part of the team. I can see them "resting" Putz for the next couple of save opportunities, don't see him losing the job permanently though, unfortunately.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should apply for the job? If Putz would have converted the save you wouldn't have said anything about it. I'm sure Gibson knew all along Cahill was on a short leash going out there. In a tight game like that you expect your closer to CLOSE the game. If we had a 2 or 3 run lead, Cahill finishes the game.

No I would have. One thing I am is not shy with my opinions for good or ill. Getting lucky on a bad move doesn't make it the right move.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score

IF you have a closer, then MAYBE I can kinda-sorta see your point (I don't). I knew J.J. was going to lose the game. I just KNEW it. I swear to god I would have bet my life savings on it.

Like Chris said, why in the hell do you let him bat for himself in a one run game if the leash is that short?

Better question...Why was the leash short to begin with?? He was pitching great.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just think people are quick to point fingers at Gibson. He knows these players more than we ever will. Cahill has a history of suddenly hitting a brick wall. Maybe wouldn't have given up the HR to Sandoval, but they could have scored other ways.

whatever, moot point.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Oops!!! Perhaps Putz can come down with "an elbow injury" and spend some time (at least 30 days) on the injured list.

5 saves against 4 blown saves? That's effing crazy....

Yeah, I agree. Time for Putz to get his annual "elbow injury." He totally sucks right now.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I was at the game and agree with Chris and Brian. If you're going to let him bat second in this tight of game, you can't have him on a short (1 batter) leash in the 9th.

I was very aware of his low pitch count, but I was surprised that they did not pinch hit Parra, Kubel or someone. That run would have been huge.

Instead they get 1 hit, Cahill's gone and Panda homers for the game.

Maybe it just being at the game, but it seemed bottom of the 8th took forever and I was worried about Cahill's arm going cold. I don't usually 2nd guess the manager but I was scratching my head over this whole turn of events.

It was a tough loss, especially with all the Giant's fans around.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
IF you have a closer, then MAYBE I can kinda-sorta see your point (I don't). I knew J.J. was going to lose the game. I just KNEW it. I swear to god I would have bet my life savings on it.

Like Chris said, why in the hell do you let him bat for himself in a one run game if the leash is that short?

Better question...Why was the leash short to begin with?? He was pitching great.

Exactly. You have Kimbrel or Romo, it's one thing. JJ has been a train wreck, I knew he was going to blow it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Sorry, but I think you're alone on this. Cahill was only at 88 pitches, is a groundball MACHINE, and Putz is nearly at 50% in save opportunities. Stupid, stupid move on Gibby's part. Should have let Cahill finish it.

No way Sandoval homers off of Cahill.

This... Uggggh....

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Isn't Brian Wilson a free agent still? Risky coming off Tommy John, but we need some sort of spark. Plus the dude's hilarious

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I know they're reluctant to pull JJ because he's the team leader.
Hey Gibson, we need a new team leader that doesn't suck!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
17 save opportunities as a team, and we've blown 9 of them!!! Wow!!!! The next closest teams are the Orioles & Cardinals with 6 blown saves each.
Incredible... :bang:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Yeah, ridiculous.

Time to give Putz "some time off" and let someone else close. Hernandez is the most likely choice, but even he has been fairly sporadic recently. Surprisingly, Bell has been the most consistent aside from a rough few outings at the start.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah, ridiculous.

Time to give Putz "some time off" and let someone else close. Hernandez is the most likely choice, but even he has been fairly sporadic recently. Surprisingly, Bell has been the most consistent aside from a rough few outings at the start.

I love Hernandez, however, even he is still trying to figure things out. I think Reynolds should be a no-brainer decision... Bench Putz for a few games and give Reynolds the closer role. There is NO possible way he can be any worse...

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
We don't have a closer....go get one cause this will continue to happen! It sucks that we can play good scrappy baseball and our relievers, minus Ziegler, lose the game.

How do we not have a closer? Is there anyone in minors we're bringing along? Is there any hope?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the offense could manage to score some runs the BP would not have to be in such leveraged positions all the time. We are tops in the NL in leveraged situations.

Yes, an elite closer having an MVP season would help but the offense needs to take some responsibility for creating so many low scoring games. We are designed that way though per many people's desires. Well blown saves is a by-product of that.

We are 8-12 when we score 5 runs or less and 7-0 when we score more than 5 runs. To play gritty small ball, in a hitters park, you need superstar pitchers on your staff.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05