Diamondbacks vs. Giants thread April 29 - May 1

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If the offense could manage to score some runs the BP would not have to be in such leveraged positions all the time. We are tops in the NL in leveraged situations.

Yes, an elite closer having an MVP season would help but the offense needs to take some responsibility for creating so many low scoring games. We are designed that way though per many people's desires. Well blown saves is a by-product of that.

Meanwhile, a 41 year old reliver who didn't even play last season is 10 for 10 in save situations...

That said, our offense is absolutely under-performing... which is the story of this franchise over the past several years.
Montero and Prado in particular have been dreadful. Of course, not having Aaron Hill in the lineup also hurts the offense.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
True, last night's 2nd half of the batting order was really bad. Plug is Parra, Eaton, Hill and Didi, mix the lineup around and that is what we envisioned our lineup to look like. I think I saw Bumgarner smile when he saw the lineup.;)

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
We are 8-12 when we score 5 runs or less and 7-0 when we score more than 5 runs. To play gritty small ball, in a hitters park, you need superstar pitchers on your staff.

Well as of now we are a small ball team. So I would think that a solid BP would be a priority if we want to contend in the long run. We can contend and we need to win games while we can cause the Dodgers and Giants aren't going to be like this all season.

But I don't know how we're gonna do that. Solutions? Other than asking our small ball team to put up big runs....

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Oddly enough, the Dbacks are #7 out of 15 NL teams in Runs Scored... #8 in team batting average...#4 in total hits... #5 in HR's... But, here's where it starts to hurt:

#10 in OBP
#12 in hitting with RISP
#15/dead last with RISP and 2 outs

Pitching wise, we're #4 in team ERA and #4 in WHIP.

Putz has single-handidly killed the team thus far... though, Hernandez and Sipp have definitely played their respective roles in the collossal failures of our bullpen.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
If the offense could manage to score some runs the BP would not have to be in such leveraged positions all the time. We are tops in the NL in leveraged situations.

Yes, an elite closer having an MVP season would help but the offense needs to take some responsibility for creating so many low scoring games. We are designed that way though per many people's desires. Well blown saves is a by-product of that.

We are 8-12 when we score 5 runs or less and 7-0 when we score more than 5 runs. To play gritty small ball, in a hitters park, you need superstar pitchers on your staff.

BINGO

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Meanwhile, a 41 year old reliver who didn't even play last season is 10 for 10 in save situations...

That said, our offense is absolutely under-performing... which is the story of this franchise over the past several years.
Montero and Prado in particular have been dreadful. Of course, not having Aaron Hill in the lineup also hurts the offense.

JJ Putz is definitely not Mariano Rivera. If we had JJ Putz during his best season and Mariano Rivera during his worst season in our bullpen, we would still want Mariano Rivera on the mound in a high leverage situation

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oddly enough, the Dbacks are #7 out of 15 NL teams in Runs Scored... #8 in team batting average...#4 in total hits... #5 in HR's... But, here's where it starts to hurt:

#10 in OBP
#12 in hitting with RISP
#15/dead last with RISP and 2 outs

Pitching wise, we're #4 in team ERA and #4 in WHIP.

Putz has single-handidly killed the team thus far... though, Hernandez and Sipp have definitely played their respective roles in the collossal failures of our bullpen.

It's not really that odd though. We play is a serious hitters park so we should always be near the top in offensive categories. Once you look at park adjusted offense we don't look so pretty though.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's not really that odd though. We play is a serious hitters park so we should always be near the top in offensive categories. Once you look at park adjusted offense we don't look so pretty though.

Agreed... and, against the rest of the west (sans the Padres), particularly the Rockies and Giants, we are seriously lacking...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
JJ Putz is definitely not Mariano Rivera. If we had JJ Putz during his best season and Mariano Rivera during his worst season in our bullpen, we would still want Mariano Rivera on the mound in a high leverage situation

Of course... I was trying to make a point (poorly), that it shouldn't be out of the realm of reasonableness to expect JJ to be even slightly better than he's been. And, if he had been, we would be on top in the west... :bang:

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Tonight we'll send McCarthy to the mound. His numbers are unimpressive so far, 0-3 7.48 ERA and a 1.77 WHIP in 27 innings. His last outing he took 105 pitches to get through 6 innings against Colorado and gave up 6 runs. He really needs to get his act together. Maybe May will be a fresh start for him.

The Giants send Lincecum to face off against McCarthy, coming off a strong outing against San Diego where he pitched 7 innings giving up 2 runs and striking out 9. Lincecum is starting to look like the Timmy of old, trying to put last year behind him.

You know Paul Goldschmidt will be happy to see Lincecum, who has always hit very well against him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Obviously, Putz's future is behind him. That's PUTZ with the Yiddish pronunciation to rhyme with, "Big BUTTS, no GUTS." as opposed to PUTZ (as he uses it) to rhyme with, "See ya' TOOTS."

It is a shame that Hernandez, who was ready last season to step into the closer role, has lost it. And Heath Bell would probably be mediocre at best.

Hey guys. Do you remember how John Smoltz went from very good starter to excellent closer?

What if we had a guy on the roster who went from not-so-good starter to excellent long-reliever? One with a straight overhand delivery which puts (PUTZ? :) ) less strain on his arm.

I'll betcha that JOSH COLLMENTER has the potential to be an outstanding Major League closer for the rest of his career.

JOSH COLLMENTER !

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Obviously, Putz's future is behind him. That's PUTZ with the Yiddish pronunciation to rhyme with, "Big BUTTS, no GUTS." as opposed to PUTZ (as he uses it) to rhyme with, "See ya' TOOTS."

It is a shame that Hernandez, who was ready last season to step into the closer role, has lost it. And Heath Bell would probably be mediocre at best.

Hey guys. Do you remember how John Smoltz went from very good starter to excellent closer?

What if we had a guy on the roster who went from not-so-good starter to excellent long-reliever? One with a straight overhand delivery which puts (PUTZ? :) ) less strain on his arm.

I'll betcha that JOSH COLLMENTER has the potential to be an outstanding Major League closer for the rest of his career.

JOSH COLLMENTER !

Collementer, Reynolds... even Heath Bell... Any of them will suffice for a time being. JJ needs to take some time off and collect himself. He should't step foot on the field for at least the next 7 games...

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Collementer, Reynolds... even Heath Bell... Any of them will suffice for a time being. JJ needs to take some time off and collect himself. He should't step foot on the field for at least the next 7 games...

I'm ok with that but I am not ready to give up on Hernandez without at least giving him a shot at the closer role. I think he deserves it.

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
I hate being right in this case....Hernandez is out, send him down til he's figures it out. We can promote someone up to blow leads and at least get them some experience. So effing irritating!!!

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet, weepin' gee-a-zuz. What's the worst.... Hernandez, the pitches being called from the dugout, the pitches Parra swung at, or Putz? The Dbacks are really hard for me to watch right now. The lollipop that Hernandez threw for that home run made me want to puke.... and everyone in the western hemisphere knew it was coming. Time to put shock collars on a few people, methinks.... :thumbdown

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Montero is really playing bad. Why would he call for 3 change ups to such a lousy batter?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05