DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscribers

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I got the royal screw around today.

We have 2 HD receivers, 1 Regular receiver, 1 DVR, and have about every package known to man.

We have the NFL package including Super Fan (paid $99.00).

I called the 1st time, got transferred... and was hung up on.

I called the 2nd time, got transferred... and was hung up on.

I called the 3rd time, talked to some young lady. She put me on hold, came back and said that they weren't offering any "free" Super Fan anymore. Put me on hold, as she was going going to check on my inquiry about getting the upgraded HD-DVR... and was hung up on.

I'm a nice guy until something like this happens. Thinking about just e-mailing.

Any suggestions? Should I just ask for the retention dept. immediately?

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
No I have 2 regular old school Philips directivos. They're good enough for me because I don't have an HDTV <crying>

Still though, I wanted the HDTivo so if I upgrade, its one less thing I have to buy later.

Edit---

I forgot to add the important thing here... Basically when I called they said they weren't giving the hd tivos anymore, because the promo was over and just gave me super fan and some movie channels for free.

I think we talked to the same rep. :(

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I sent an email, said I was a paying customer that had never threated to cancel and wanted the same thing they were giving to people who weren't being as loyal as me. They sent me an email saying they would contact me and they did the next day.

Vito

Reaction score
and just to get everyone even more pis*ed- for the second time in three weeks, the Cards/Rams game will NOT be shown in High Def.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you feel like you;re on with a moron, just hangup and call back. It's not worth the headache. But, when you land a rep that seems to know what they're doing, butter 'em up and tell 'em how much you appreciate their help.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
When I moved to TN I had every intention of getting DirecTV--I bought a nice brand new 50 inch Plasma HDTV, I bought a DirecTV HD Receiver. I contacted DirecTV told them I had an HD receiver and wanted to be hooked up--they sent out a tech with the standard dish--they failed to put that I had HD on the work order. So I had to wait another full week--sent out another tech this time he had the right equipment and then informed me because of the trees I have behind my house they would inferfere with the signal for HD Sat's due to the low angle it takes to acquire the signals.

So now I have my brand new TV, a DirecTV HD Receiver, a room set aside for football and the best I can get is HD cable! I wish the NFL would just offer a pay per game deal or something with the cable companies because it sucks. On top of things ComCast doesn't have the NFL Network.

Last week I went to Buffalo Wild Wings, sat down and asked for the Cardinal game--they said it would be on when the Giants/Eagles OT game ended--a game that was on like 5 TVs and 2 right next to each other. That game ended and they put on stinking Poker, I again requested the Cardinals game and was given the run-around, I finally walked out when I saw on the ticker of another game there was like 4 minutes left in the half--I then listened to the game on NFL.com(in hindsight it probably was a good game to miss)...if I had DirecTV I wouldn't have to deal with that.

efferman

Veteran
Reaction score
Just got a call from the babysitter and they are installing the new reciever and antenna as we speak (write?)! By the way, Lloydian, to answer your question from the other day, I was a long-time Sunday Ticket subscriber.

Are the Cards on HD this weekend? I want to see Kurt's fumbles and INT's with HD clarity! J/K
Actually I think that they can pull this one out...
Go Cards!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DTV f'd me on the installation date. Someone called today to schedule a date a week and a half out. They told me on the 22nd that it would be installed on the 2nd, but there's no record of that anywhere, I guess.
:hulk:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to see Direct TV/NFL sell the Shortcuts version of a teams whole season on DVD. That would be great, 16 Card games in 8 hours or less. I'd buy it!

How many turnovers/minute is that?

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
DTV f'd me on the installation date. Someone called today to schedule a date a week and a half out. They told me on the 22nd that it would be installed on the 2nd, but there's no record of that anywhere, I guess.
:hulk:

After a year of promises and delays on the HR-20, I finally have an installation date of 11 Oct to replace my HR-10...I am behind a mountain so I have HD local since I installed the HR-10 even though I was assured the HD local would be 'on the dish'...anyway, I got the upgrade for $0.00 but was not offered the Superfan.. damn I missed that one. I may have to call back and have them throw it in for all my grief;)

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to see Direct TV/NFL sell the Shortcuts version of a teams whole season on DVD. That would be great, 16 Card games in 8 hours or less. I'd buy it!

I've saved all the Shortcuts so far and hope to save them all (except the MNF game, which won't be available in Shortcut form). So at the end of the season, I can watch them all and say to myself, "wow, after the STL game, who would have predicted a 14 win season." ;)

In actual relevant news, I just noticed that DirecTV pushes a 4-minute highlight package of every Sunday Ticket game to you each week. It's automatically save to the DVR and available in the Showcase tab of the DVR programs. Unfortunately, the highlights aren't that good. They don't have any announcers giving an overview of the game, they just show certain plays with the original announcing.

Last edited:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After a year of promises and delays on the HR-20, I finally have an installation date of 11 Oct to replace my HR-10...I am behind a mountain so I have HD local since I installed the HR-10 even though I was assured the HD local would be 'on the dish'...anyway, I got the upgrade for $0.00 but was not offered the Superfan.. damn I missed that one. I may have to call back and have them throw it in for all my grief;)

The HR 20 is a miserable piece of crap, I too had been waiting for an upgrade to my HR 10's

They still studder (especially on HD programming) the DVR is nothing at all like Tivo.. Tivo was very intuitive, the recording and setting up of "season pass" on the HR 20 is just painful.

To make matters worse.... two units of the four, that the guy showed up with were DOA ( I was having 2 installed) fortunately he did have 4 total on his truck... this does not exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling for their durability.

Really wish they had not cut ties w/ Tivo...also wish they would have Sony build the boxes, never had any problems with my old Sonys.

OP
OP
Fiasco

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
If by the old Sony you mean the series 1 tivos the Hughes, Phillips and Sony series 1 direcTivos were all exactly the same just different manufacturer badging.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually meant the old Sony dtv recievers (no Tivo)

I don't get it.. Processors are getting faster by the minute, yet dtv recievers change channels, and pull up guides etc.. slower each year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Will one or more of you explain the tangible benefits of HD? Are its advantages substantive or is it hype?

I mean, is it really important to see every scratch on the Humvee that was totalled, the sweat-stains on Coach Green's shirt or the acne scar on Katie Couric's nose?

What am I missing here?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will one or more of you explain the tangible benefits of HD? Are its advantages substantive or is it hype?
In truth, I only see the "substantive" difference in sports. When I watch a normal-feed football game it looks out of focus to me now because HD feed is so sharp by comparison.

I could take it or leave it for shows, although it is much clearer in HD.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score

I love high def, the crystal clear picture makes viewing all the more pleasurable. Once I set up my high def, standard def was just not good enough any more. The best way I can explain it is when you see a distance shot of a stadium crowd; standard def is not sharply defined, where with HD you can actually make out the faces in the crowd. That detail is what its all about IMO. One game I watched recently showed a shot of the ball sitting at the LOS between the teams right before the snap; I could clearly read the printing on the ball; simply put, the higher definition lets you see things that you were not able to see before. Its not just sports, either; one of my favorite shows features lovely ladies doing yoga :)

One of the keys here is screen size; I have a 55" screen. Standard def may be good enough with a small screen, but with a larger screen the inadequacies of SD are much more apparent, and the superior quality of the HD jumps out at you. I'm sold on HD, I will never go back.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Night and day difference, like Pariah, non hd broadcasts (which the Cards seem to get 2 out of every 3 games) just look totally blurry to me now by comparison.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
definitely agree with red dawn on the screen size - our old average sized tube TV broadcasted SD programming just fine for my tastes - but I wanted a larger TV so I upgraded

on the 50" I have the SD programming looks a little off as compared to the old tube and HD on the big screen blows both away - sports are so crystal clear it's seriously like being there

I also love discovery HD - probably my favorite channel now - or any of the HD travel shows - when showing nature in HD you get such vivid colors and contrasts and detail that there is nothing else like it IMO - as far as watching a sitcom or the news? - i'd prefer HD, but really don't care either way

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I got the royal screw around today.

We have 2 HD receivers, 1 Regular receiver, 1 DVR, and have about every package known to man.

We have the NFL package including Super Fan (paid $99.00).

I called the 1st time, got transferred... and was hung up on.

I called the 2nd time, got transferred... and was hung up on.

I called the 3rd time, talked to some young lady. She put me on hold, came back and said that they weren't offering any "free" Super Fan anymore. Put me on hold, as she was going going to check on my inquiry about getting the upgraded HD-DVR... and was hung up on.

I'm a nice guy until something like this happens. Thinking about just e-mailing.

Any suggestions? Should I just ask for the retention dept. immediately?

I just called this morning and got the deal. New HR-20 get to keep my HR-10, new 5 LNB dish for FREE! I don't have Sunday Ticket, the rep said this deal was for A customers. Coming out to do the install on the 10th of October, also got HBO for free next 6 months.

dmoney

Registered
Reaction score
ASK FOR THE RETENTION DEPT...
Thanks everyone.......IT was as easy as taking candy from a Baby. Finally called today. Got the new HD DVR upgrade for free, credited my account for everything I paid for the HD DVR $200+ and then they threw in a $10 per month for a year credit. YEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

MemphisRam

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

Called to cancel services and got the NFL Sunday Ticket for basically $139 this season.

$50 off regular price of $249 and $10 off my bill for the next 6 months.

They give you the choice of the $10 off your bill for 6 months or the Superfan package, which is overkill for my taste as there's a guy on a Rams boards that tapes all the shortcuts.:D

old card fan

Registered
Reaction score
That's what they told me when I got my H-10. I said, "I know the MPEG-4 reciever will be coming out, will I need to buy it again???" "No sir, we will just swap it out." Well, MPEG4 (not the DVR) is available now I when I called they said that it would cost me $100 to swap it out and that I would be renting theequipment, and that I would have to give them my H10. So basically they lied to me. So I'll keep the H10 for now since the only difference (I think) is that with teh new MPEG4 you get local HD over the dish.

A little hint. If you call one of the regular people at directv and don't get what you want, hang up. Call right back, and you will get a different answer from someone else. I called four different people before I got my stuff free. ( tivo,etc.) The people are allowed to bargain, you have to find the one thats in a good mood that day. Try it, I guarantee they will barter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05