Do you think Nash still has a chance to win the MVP Award?

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
Dirk Nowitzki will be MVP, and he will be deserving of it, I think everyone has basically said that so I think the arguement is over.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dirk Nowitzki will be MVP, and he will be deserving of it, I think everyone has basically said that so I think the arguement is over.

Just keep thinking how much better the Mavs would be if they had kept Nash and the likely two past Championships the Mavs would have won with him. No way the Mavs would have folded last year to Miami with Nash. I respect Dirk and think he is deserving as a MVP, but as far as some of the Mavs fans.... well???

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

IF Nowitzki wins the MVP, I certainly won't argue, but for a Dallas homer to just blindly say he WILL win it is nothing but homerism, and you know it.

Dirk definitely is one of 2 players this year to deserve the MVP, but to discount Steve Nash out-of-hand is naive. But hey, you're a Mavs fan. Funny thing is, there aren't many Suns fans here that will say that Nash absolutely will win the MVP, but there are plenty people like you that say Dirk will DEFINITELY win the award.

Honestly, these threads are tiresome since they're just fodder for Maverick fans to come on here and start flaming wars.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Just keep thinking how much better the Mavs would be if they had kept Nash and the likely two past Championships the Mavs would have won with him. No way the Mavs would have folded last year to Miami with Nash. I respect Dirk and think he is deserving as a MVP, but as far as some of the Mavs fans.... well???
why would you not have respect for other people that are fans of another team? Don't dallas fans have the right to feel the way they do about their team......just as suns fans do? I dispute what you said about nash being on the mavs the past 2 seasons. Maybe...the mavs would have won, but only last year if anything. It was clear that the direction the mavs were in was not leading to the promise land(getting past the spurs). Let's not forget that nash hasn't got a ring yet either.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
IF Nowitzki wins the MVP, I certainly won't argue, but for a Dallas homer to just blindly say he WILL win it is nothing but homerism, and you know it.

Dirk definitely is one of 2 players this year to deserve the MVP, but to discount Steve Nash out-of-hand is naive. But hey, you're a Mavs fan. Funny thing is, there aren't many Suns fans here that will say that Nash absolutely will win the MVP, but there are plenty people like you that say Dirk will DEFINITELY win the award.

Honestly, these threads are tiresome since they're just fodder for Maverick fans to come on here and start flaming wars.
actually there are suns fans that do the same...like steel dog who said nash deserves it hands down. That's the funny thing about all of the hypocracy.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Obviously there is a lot of support for Nash threepeating around here. There is little doubt he is worthy of it. At the same time, there is certainly the respect for Dirk who is having a great year.

Sure, we think Steve deserves to win (as do a lot of national media types), but it is a sideline. What matters is not MVP but NBA Champion.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I think Dirk will probably win it, and I am OK with that. The Mavs look unstoppable and he is clearly the main reason for their success.

However, I think both Dirk and Steve would agree that the MVP award is irrelevant this year if it doesn't lead to a championship. Without a ring, it's just a paperweight.

I'll gladly concede the MVP, #1 seed, and heck even a 70-win regular season to the Mavericks in exchange for a Suns finals victory.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
However, I think both Dirk and Steve would agree that the MVP award is irrelevant this year if it doesn't lead to a championship.

"This" year?

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Well....this year being the point of discussion, but yes your point taken.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
actually there are suns fans that do the same...like steel dog who said nash deserves it hands down. That's the funny thing about all of the hypocracy.

Hmm, I must have missed him saying outright that Nash deserves it "hands down". I did see where he argued against those of you Mavs fans that are actually touting Dirk winning it "hands down".

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if i were saying the same thing in dirk's favor i would be against nash getting the mvp. That type of statement doesn't make much sense to me. Have you been somewhere besides US Airways arena? maybe you should get some fresh air.

Wow. Snappy. As long as it's not cow country fresh air I think I am good.

The argument...... errr debate was never about if Dirk would be deserving if he got it. It was over does he deserve it over Nash. I think people have been pretty clear about that too.

Yep and I also said that if Dirk won it I wouldn't be upset. Didn't hear that about Nash from you Mavs fans. In case you missed it, I was being sarcastic about Nash winning it hands down because the Mavs fans feeling Dirk deserves it hands down.

Couldn't have said that better myself. :cheers:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score

unless Dallas goes into a free fall dive, Dirk has already locked up the MVP - he's helped out by the fact that nash has already won 2

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
SOME Mavs fans seem to be like A LOT OF NBA refs--selectively blind to the Suns' side of things.

I certainly don't agree that Dirk should be MVP--I think there's good reason to give it to him (or LeBron, or Kobe), but much better reason to give it to Nash. All of the first three are basically 1-on-1 players who sometimes go beyond that and get assists. Yes, 1-on-1 skill is valuable, and it's great that they are less ball-hogs than in the past, and yes, it's valuable to have someone willing to do the hero thing with the game on the line, but all of that downplays the fact that Basketball is a team game, much more than football or baseball--it's group reactions. Nash makes the team something qualitatively different--he gets the ball into the right person's hands, in optimal position to score, twice as often as anyone else. I watched Kidd, Stockton, Magic, and they made amazing passes, but not with such variety and frequency. Nash does his job more above the average than Dirk does his.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
According to Gambo Nowitzki will win the MVP award.

ROFL, another scintillating insight from Gambo.

Geez, the homerism in the comments is appalling and shameful. It's getting awfully difficult to be a Suns fan with that kind of company.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ROFL, another scintillating insight from Gambo.

Geez, the homerism in the comments is appalling and shameful. It's getting awfully difficult to be a Suns fan with that kind of company.

Just as much homerism is coming from the Mav fans who keep popping in here. I think your the only one having a hard team being a Suns fan elindholm. Most of us take it for what it is and if we throw some homerism back in their faces it's all good. It's all in good fun.

Besides some of us just like PO those defensive Mav fans. :D

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
A cut above
How are the Mavs this good? Let us count the ways
Posted: Wednesday March 7, 2007 11:38AM; Updated: Wednesday March 7, 2007 12:29PM

In snubbing Josh Howard last month, the Western Conference coaches agreed: The Dallas Mavericks' only All-Star is Dirk Nowitzki. Though commissioner David Stern eventually amended their vote by appointing Howard to the All-Star Game, the fact remains that this is a team that let two-time MVP Steve Nash walk, that has one of the least-experienced coaches in the league, that is trying to play defense with a roster of players acquired for offense. So how has this eclectic group won its last 16 games to run away with the best record in the regular season? Here's how:

1. Dirk Nowitzki is the league MVP.

Based on current trends, Nowitzki will edge Nash -- his friend, former teammate and two-time defending MVP -- for the top award in basketball for three reasons: (1) His Mavs are the dominant team in the league; (2) He is surrounded by complementary players, rather than All-Star scorers like Nash's teammates Amaré Stoudemire and Shawn Marion; and (3) He has learned from Nash how to carry a team by knitting it closely together.

Mavs president Donnie Nelson charts Nowitzki's progress since he was the No. 9 pick of the 1998 draft.

"He's had to drastically change his game on a number of occasions,'' says Nelson. "When he first came over he was a finesse '4,' a pick-and-pop guy playing with Steve Nash. Stevie made a lot of his looks pretty easy.

"Then Stevie goes to Phoenix, and that wasn't just a basketball blow. That was a personal-friendship, motivational-buddy kind of blow as well. We didn't know how Dirk would come out of it and react, and if he was being honest he'd probably say the same thing. So he had to be The Man overnight. We put the ball in his hands a lot more, and asked him to make last-second shots and passing decisions as opposed to being the recipient.''

When coach Don Nelson was replaced by Avery Johnson in March 2005, Nowitzki learned more new tricks.

"He had to reinvent his game again with Avery, who was using him in a traditional way,'' says Donnie Nelson. "He was posting Dirk more, and putting more emphasis on the defensive side of the ball as a rebounder and shot-blocker, and he was asking Dirk to attack the offensive glass. These were things Dirk wasn't used to doing. But it seemed whatever grocery list of items we needed this guy to do, he ended up doing them and then some.''

How many finesse players become top 20 rebounders? How many perimeter players have the nerve to develop their game in the post? How many finishers turn themselves into playmakers? Nowitzki has learned the NBA game backward. The more celebrated he's become as a scorer, the more willingly he's taken on the dirty work as his team has needed it.

The Mavericks' torrid start (which is sixth best in league history), their 11-0 record in the second half of back-to-back games, and their 21-6 record on the road (a winning percentage of .778 that is superior to any team's record overall) is proof that Nowitzki at 28 has become the most effective leader in the league. He posts dominant numbers without exerting a dominating personality. He sets an example of hard work that defines the roster from top to bottom, while his humility creates an environment that allows teammates to express themselves in the locker room and on the court. In the crucial moments, Nowitzki is there to knock down sensational threes or fallaway jumpers that look routine in a Larry Bird sort of way.

"He is the same guy today as when I bought the team,'' says owner Mark Cuban. "There is never an element of himself over the team: He trusts his coach, the system and his teammates. His focus is on always learning, whether it's a new part of his game or watching tape or reading books to become a better student of the game.''

From the recent SI article, couldn' explain it better.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can insert Nash's name wherever you see Dirk's and the article wouldn't miss a beat.

That I agree with. Steve Nash is still the MVP.

PS. Yes I did capture your qoute before you changed it to Nash Sux. Nice try though. You were right the 1st time. :D

Last edited:

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
That I agree with. Steve Nash is still the MVP.

You are beyond description. . . in a bad way. I'll be soooo happy when Dirk gets the Poldoff trophy and the O'Brien trophy.

Nelly Furtado: “Is that the truth or are you messing with me? Is your game MVP like Nowitzki?”

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are beyond description. . . in a bad way. I'll be soooo happy when Dirk gets the Poldoff trophy and the O'Brien trophy.

Thanks. I am sure you would be. Why wouldn't you? Especially if he gets both. I can see the GEICO caveman commercial endorsements lining up now. At any rate it's a pipe dream but dreaming is free right?

PS In case you have not figured it out by now I am mainly just messing with you. :D

Last edited:

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
Well looks like the Suns fans won't answer me... you know the same Suns fans that are calling me a homer and saying Nash deserves this award hands down. He has definitely has a case this year but shouldn't get it, seriously.. last year he was by far the most illogical choice EVER and the only reason any of you have given me debating Lebron's case is that he was on a bad team (which is untrue). So please... enlighten me, why would anyone vote for Nash?

Let me put it in perspective for you guys in a comical fashion, maybe that will get through:

in an era with dwyane wade, lebron james, kobe bryant, tim duncan, kevin garnett, dirk nowitzki, etc why are we letting steve nash make them his bitch in MVP voting? we're supposed to look back in 20 years and say,

yeah son, nash ruled the league.

oh, so he was like jordan level and obviously the best player in the league?

well no, he was just really good, but there were others who were better.

well then he must've been the ultimate winner, racking up 3 straight titles?

well, no he didn't win the first 2 years and may not again this year.

oh, because his supporting cast was so weak? well no, 2 of them would be considered top 20 or 25 players in the league and the others were athletic 3 point shooters who could pass? another guy took a much lesser cast of players and single-handedly won a title, but he was no steve nash.

well then his stats were just crazy?

well, no he racked up assists like crazy and scored fairly well but he didn't play defense or rebound.

but i thought mvp's were usually great on both ends of the court and well-rounde.....

Look! he was just the best, OK! the mvp voters are too smart for us.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
but i thought mvp's were usually great on both ends of the court and well-rounde......

I guess Dirk's eliminated then with his stellar defensive capabilities. I would comment on more but trying to read that was like watching a Charlie Brown cartoon....wah wah wah wah wah.

P.S. Steve = MVP.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
"....enlighten me, why would anyone vote for Nash?"

Maybe because of really shining endorsements from half the coaches in the NBA and the likes of Bill Russell?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
To clear things up about homerism for you suns fans. Let's see....it's okay for suns fans to have a homer point of view about nash. but then it's homerism for the mavs fans who think dirk deserves it. If you read my posts I never said that nash does not deserve the mvp. I've said that he clearly deserved it the past two seasons. I've said that this year both he a dirk deserve it. The only thing i said in dirk's favor is that to this point in the season he seems to be the favorite. I agree with those that said the most important trophy is the o'brien. I don't think the mavs need the suns to concede a 70 win season......if they(mavs) accomplish that it would be well deserved. If you listen to the mavs locker room all they talk about is winning the title.......they don't talk about regular season victories.......they know( mavs) have had plenty of regular season victories that past several season and 0 titles. Dirk countlessly says all he cares about is a ring and that nash deserves the mvp and doesn't want others to lobby for him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05