Dontrelle Willis Trade Rumor

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind including Montero, Young or Q (obviously not all three). However I do not want to include Nippert in this trade. We need all the young arms we can get right now.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Guys gotta let you know:

As many of you know I l ive in the South Florida area and between 5 and 6 on Wednesday's the Dan LeBetard show always has Dontrelle Willis on. I have always wanted to call in because the guy is probably my favorite guy in all of sports in terms of his attitude. And the dang Marlin fans are so bad out there that they get like 1 or 2 calls anyway so i figured i would give D-train some AZ love. This what i said>

Train -

I don't really got a question but i have a comment for you. I am not a Marlin fan at all and am actually from Arizona and love the D-backs. However i have followed your career quite closely and know all about your close relationship with your agent and how the other day you said the best moment for you in any baseball game is when you succesfully execute a bunt. Now i know there are alot of rumors regarding my team trying to trade for you, and i just want to say that whatever prospect and big time money it takes, you are one of the few guys who is worth it. You are legit and the face of any franchise and I just wanted to show you some love. You are like a breath of fresh air.

So Dan Lebatard is quite for a second and Willis goes " Wow! Man I owe that guy a drink. That was awesome thanks so much. (you could tell he was smiling when he was talking) You know i love South FLorida but it is a business so whatever happens happens. But man thanks alot!

SO LeBetard cuts to commercial and you can tell hes pissed a dback fan hijacked his show but he doesnt want to say anything becase train was so happy.

So lets just say if we hear rumors about Willis forcing his way to AZ, ya'll can send me a thank you note....:D

Heres the link.
http://www.790theticket.com/main.cfm?do=shows&item=4

I have not listend to it yet but its pretty much a paraphrased version above. Check it out and let me know how it sounds. Its on the link on the right side that says "Its the Dontrelle Willis show 5/24" It's toward the end at about the 10:00 minute mark

You guys gotta listen to the kid talk man. He has the perfect mindset as an athlete...................

Last edited:

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
Giving AZ love to Dontrelle and punking LeBatard at the same time.....sweeeet!

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Nice work AZ! Listened to it and was classic. Now we just have to get him here! There will be sooo many more seats filled if he comes to AZ

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
That was classic man. Great call and he would be great in AZ

Fannatick

Reaction score
If we could trade Q straight up for Willis I would do that in a heart beat! That would be an awesome trade for us. Q is going to be very good but come on, if we can get a young lefty who could come in and pitch for us I would totally do it. I cant see why they would do that deal straight up though, they know we need pitching and the ball should be in their court when negotiating a trade.

I dont like Willis that much but if we could trade him straight up for Q I would do it in a heart beat. If we get him we'll win the West for sure.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel Quentin and a guy like Matt Chico should be enough for D-Train. I hope the Marlins aren't holding their breath for 3 Top 10 prospects, because they some good s***, if they believe we will meet that asking price. Nippert or any other SP prospect should not be discussed in a deal, we need all the pitching we can get.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
It's gonna take 2 position prospects and one pitching prospect. That is the word and it makes sense. It will prob take something like Q, Young, and a PP

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
It's gonna take 2 position prospects and one pitching prospect. That is the word and it makes sense. It will prob take something like Q, Young, and a PP

Not worth it IMO. I would rather take my chances in FA and try to get Mulder and Zito.

Fishfan79

Reaction score
Not to be offensive or anything but figured you all might want to hear the truth of it from down here in florida?

D-train isnt a locker room problem at all, and loves it down here. He has stated as recent as last week that he wants to play out of his career down here and would love to be signed long term with the marlins.

The marlin are in no need to remove further salary and have been told by MLB not to either according to some insiders. They are projected earnings of over 50 million in profit this year because of the low payroll, TV contract (6th largest in baseball), and revenue sharing.

The Stadium deal is progressing, they have called off all interest to other places. An Expected anouncement of a stadium is within the next months time for Hialiah. Which of course will increase the value of the franchise and profits once more.

The Owner, President, Coach, General Manager, Head Scout have all said that Dontrelle Willis isnt viable for trade as Miguel Cabrera isnt either.

They have also stated that next year the salary for the team will increase by 20 million to 35 million in order to sign Miguel Cabrera and Dontelle Willis long term.

Now for the "insiders"

Peter Gammons does a weekly radio show down here and last week upon it with Boog Shamby (TV analyst for ESPN games and former marlins TV analyst). Last week the subject was brought up as it has been for a few weeks now. For the following three weeks 3 then 6 then 5 different teams all called about Dontrelle Willis for trade and every single one of them was told he isnt for trade.

Peter went on and pointed out that it would take 3-4 prospects all within the top 50 prospects in the game to move him. The marlins arent looking for any pitching prospects as we have over ten pitching prospects that project as either a 1, 2 or 3 in the majors and progressing very well. He had named Montero, Young, Drew, and Quentin for Arizona All together for Dontrelle Willis. Which in my opinion would be overkill, but Tim Churchan (sp) said the same thing twice last week as well. The Angels and Dodgers also were mentioned with combinations of their elite prospects also.

As for corner outfielders, currently Hermida is the Right Fielder for the next 6 years at least, Left field belongs to Josh Willingham. We can use a CF in my opinion but I am not so sure the franchise feels the same. They are very high on Reggie Ambercrombies potential and believe he can be an elite player.

We are set at RF,LF, 2B, SS, 3B and 1B for the next 5-6 years at least. Plus a starting rotation that looks to be ungodly sick.

As for Willis himself, he doesnt want to go anywhere. He has pitched great in his past 3 starts depsite horrible defense behind him all year long.

He is a 24 year old lefty ace that has never had an injury problem, is the first black ace pitcher in the past 25 years, great marketability, great attitude and person, and won the most games in baseball last year. Not to mention he wont be a FA till After 2009.

Personally I would rather just flip you a pitching prospect for a hitting one. We are loaded and you are loaded, makes more sense.

I hope that helps some for perspective. Either way good luck this year with your team, I like how you guys are going in the right direction :) Plus I love the idea of SF and the Dodgers losing out to you all.

CrocHunter

Reaction score
I happen to think it would be something like Drew and Quentin for Dontrelle Willis. It might be overpaying a bit by us(DBacks) but Dontrelle is a special talent and it's not like we dont have the players to spare.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I really don't see us letting Montero go. Really great young defense-offense catchers -- plus bilingual, smart, and a real nice kid -- are as valuable as a top pitching prospect, and a lot scarcer. I think probably he, Upton, Drew, and maybe Greg Smith, are the untouchables.

CrocHunter

Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
welcome aboard fishfan - you ever check out marlinsbaseball.com?

great site over there
lol, his name is fishfan79 over there.... whats your name MO?

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ruff N Tuff said:
Quentin and Drew for Willis...

Sign me up
Make that Tim Drew and I'd sign off.

I don't really think Willis is an ace in the long run.

Last edited:

Fishfan79

Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
welcome aboard fishfan - you ever check out marlinsbaseball.com?

great site over there

Thanks, Larry runs a good site and ship. Good kid too, funny the biggest marlins fan lives in NY. :)

Says something for our franchise hehe :)

Honestly I think if willis does get moved, even with the whole FO saying no everywhere you still never know with them, he will be moved to you guys.

It just makes more sense.

There is 4 teams with what would be necessary
LAA - Mathis, Wood + something
LAD - Martin, Guzman + something
Arizona - Monero, Young + something
Tampa - Lots of position prospects, would love to have willis there. (the idea of delmon young and miguel cabrera in a lineup makes my toes tingle).

Other possible teams:
Muts - Milledege, Pelfrey + a few B class prospects
Yanks - Doesnt have the prospects needed besides Hughes
Red Sox - Pedoria, Ellsbury (sp), Lester + something?
Tonroto - Rios, plus some of their pitching talents (not a deep system)

The Angels are pretty far out of it so far, but never know for the future. The dodgers seem to of made Martin their key to sucess somehow this year. And Tampa is well, Tampa, a pain to deal with. But if they got Willis + Kazmir together they would have a 1-2 punch for the next 3-4 years that would be amazing.

Which makes Arizona the logical choice, if they do move him. I am just waiting for the announcement of the stadium first.

You all have a nice board over here, I hope you dont mind me posting a few times :) I promise to be respectful.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CrocHunter said:
I happen to think it would be something like Drew and Quentin for Dontrelle Willis. It might be overpaying a bit by us(DBacks) but Dontrelle is a special talent and it's not like we dont have the players to spare.

No way you trade 2 of the best prospects in baseball for a guy who wouldn't even be #1 on this team.

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
No way you trade 2 of the best prospects in baseball for a guy who wouldn't even be #1 on this team.
Though the Marlins continue to insist they will not be trading pitcher Dontrelle Willis -- they said the same thing before dealing Carlos Delgado -- the feeling grows stronger each week that the left-hander will be moved during the season for the right package. Should they stay in contention, the Arizona Diamondbacks are poised to make the sweetest deal, with insiders saying prized prospects such as shortstop Stephen Drew and right fielder Carlos Quentin would be offered up for Willis.
Corey seeing the (green) light with O's

And looking at D-Trains starts he went through a rough stretch of 3 starts where he defense let him down. If you remove those 3 starts he has an era under 3.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Backs favored for D-Train?

Word is, the Yankees will scout all of Dontrelle Willis' starts. It's clear he's their No. 1 target (though the reports can't be great so far).

Getting him won't be easy. The Marlins are saying that if they trade him, they'll seek young position players. They apparently like their young pitchers.

The surprise Diamondbacks might be best-positioned (no pun intended) to get Willis. They have Stephen Drew, Justin Upton, Carlos Quentin and two more position players among Baseball America's top 32 prospects.

The Marlins might like a centerfielder. So if the Mets remove their untouchable tag from Lastings Milledge, they might have a shot.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/print...95may28,0,6245589.column?coll=ny-sports-print

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
I dont think the D-Backs can trade Upton because you need to wait a full year from the date his first contract was signed before you can trade him so I would guess he's out of the picture.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ruff N Tuff said:
I dont think the D-Backs can trade Upton because you need to wait a full year from the date his first contract was signed before you can trade him so I would guess he's out of the picture.

It is amazing how we are discussing trading Upton, Drew and Quentin for Willis. I say we develop our talent and look around in FA. I have a good feeling we will get Mulder in the offseason. Does anyone else feel 3-4 top 50 prospects is asking for the moon for 1 guy who is really struggling this year. We already got burned once by Florida with the Mantei trade. Penny, Nunez's, and someone else for a up and coming guy that fizzled.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05