Draft Day Trade Thread

HooverDam

Reaction score
Sounds like the Raptors-Pacers deal may be off, or this may just be posturing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...slug=ap-raptors-pacerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns
The Indiana Pacers denied on Thursday reports of a deal to trade six-time All-Star forward Jermaine O’Neal to the Toronto Raptors for point guard T.J. Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic, the 17th pick in the draft and a player to be named.

The deal was reported by Yahoo, citing an unidentified NBA executive, and The Indianapolis Star, which cited a person familiar with the talks that it did not name.

Pacers spokesman David Benner said those reports were premature.

“There is no trade to announce. It is all speculation,” Benner told The Associated Press.

Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo told The Canadian Press on Wednesday that he was in the midst of “four or five” conversations with teams involving Ford and a combination of Toronto’s No. 17 pick and/or other Raptors players leading up to Thursday night’s draft.

A deal can’t be finalized until July 1, when Ford’s base-year compensation tag comes off the books, and Yahoo and the Star both said O’Neal and Ford must still pass physicals.

The Associated Press left messages seeking comment Thursday for O’Neal’s agent, Arn Tellem.

O’Neal, who will turn 30 before entering his 13th season, has a contract paying him more than $44 million over the next two seasons.

The trade would leave the Pacers without their most-prominent player since Reggie Miller retired three years ago. It would, however, give them another first-round draft pick to go with their No. 11 selection as they look to rebuild after missing the playoffs two consecutive years.

Acquiring Ford also would give them a possible replacement at point guard for Jamaal Tinsley, who is unpopular with fans and has missed much time with injuries in recent seasons.

Ford has his own health problems, including being diagnosed in 2001 with spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the openings of the vertebra the spinal cord runs through. He suffered a neck injury in February 2004 and was sidelined until the 2005-06 season.

Ford averaged a career-high 14 points and 7.9 assists in 2006-07 as the Raptors won the Atlantic Division. Last season, Ford missed 24 games after hitting his head on the court during a December game and ended up averaging 12.1 points and 6.1 assists.

O’Neal averaged 13.6 points and 6.7 rebounds in 42 games last season, missing 33 games in midseason because of pain and swelling from an injured left knee. He tore meniscus cartilage in his left knee during the 2006-07 season and had surgery in April 2007, but it hadn’t healed fully by last fall’s training camp.

O’Neal and the Pacers have struggled since 2003-04 when the team had the NBA’s best record at 61-21 and he finished third in the MVP voting after averaging 20.1 points and 10 rebounds. He was suspended the following season for 15 games for his role in the brawl with Detroit Pistons fans. He has missed 122 games the past four seasons.

Nesterovic, a 7-footer from Slovenia, averaged 7.8 points and 4.8 rebounds last season in his ninth NBA season.

Also, ESPN Radio (Ric Bucher) is reporting that there may be a deal in place to send Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson.

It also sounds like the LA Clippers are moving up to #4 for their #7 and a future #1 (which seems like a lot to me, there must be someone at 4 that they really love).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sounds like the Raptors-Pacers deal may be off, or this may just be posturing:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...slug=ap-raptors-pacerstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

Also, ESPN Radio (Ric Bucher) is reporting that there may be a deal in place to send Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson.

It also sounds like the LA Clippers are moving up to #4 for their #7 and a future #1 (which seems like a lot to me, there must be someone at 4 that they really love).

i think the clips covet westbrook. why, i have no idea.

and the bucks-nets trade just seems like moving pieces. who cares about that trade other than the fact that it banishes richard jefferson to the insignificant zone for a large portion of his career.

and the pacers denial may be out of necessity considering the july 1 date.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It should make fans nervous when your team trades away future 1st rounders. In most cases the team in the lottery will probably be in the lottery the next year or close to it. That same team probably won't attract any high profile free agents.

It's alot to gamble on a rookie unless you think the guy is going to be the next Superstar. You just better be sure as you can as the GM or you probably just made the 1st step at assuring your not going to be GM for very long.

For a #4 though? You better hope the 3 teams picking before you don't have any clue IMO.

Last edited:

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
It should make fans nervous when your team trades away future 1st rounders. In most cases the team in the lottery will probably be in the lottery the next year or close to it. That same team probably won't attract any high profile free agents.

It's alot to gamble on a rookie unless you think the guy is going to be the next Superstar. You just better be sure as you can as the GM or you probably just made the 1st step at assuring your not going to be GM for very long.

For a #4 though? You better hope the 3 teams picking before you don't have any clue IMO.

True I agree but at the same time in this draft I think it is a fairly good move when the first four picks are going to be Beasley Mayo Bayless and Rose (not neccesarily in that order). You just have to pray like crazy that your future first round pick isnt going to come back to bite you!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sad the Suns were not the team to buy a late first round draft pick for 3 million in this draft. Sarver could have made up for a lot of cheap labels by doing so. As usual, it seems the Suns talk about moving around in the draft but never do so. I read where Kerr said how hard it was to move up in the draft. Heck, I would have been just as happy if he got a pick later in the draft. At least I heard Kerr say he is keeping the 15th pick. I guess that's something for him. I just do not think Kerr knows how to pull off a deal with another GM without getting raked over the coals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
It's sad the Suns were not the team to buy a late first round draft pick for 3 million in this draft. Sarver could have made up for a lot of cheap labels by doing so. As usual, it seems the Suns talk about moving around in the draft but never do so. I read where Kerr said how hard it was to move up in the draft. Heck, I would have been just as happy if he got a pick later in the draft. At least I heard Kerr say he is keeping the 15th pick. I guess that's something for him. I just do not think Kerr knows how to pull off a deal with another GM without getting raked over the coals.

Agreed 100%. Kerr just seems completely incompetent from what we've seen so far.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
James Jones just exercised his option and will not sign with Blazers.

I think the Suns should sign him again, draft Chalmers at the 15th or a BIG or anyone taller than 6'9.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score

I think the Suns should sign him again, draft Chalmers at the 15th or a BIG or anyone taller than 6'9.

Id love to see JR back here, though I doubt it happens. He's a good outside shooter, and a better than average defender. If they could somehow manage to get both JR and Giricek, I'd be really happy, that would give them some nice depth.

Chalmers at 15 would be OK by me, his ceiling isn't super high in my estimation, but they do need a PG come hell or high water.

If they could then move up to the early 2nd round and get a DeVon Hardin or Joey Dorsey, I'd be pretty happy with today (they also need to bring back Skinner for sure).

Nash/Chalmers
Bell/Barbosa/Giricek/Strawberry
Hill/James Jones/Tucker
Amare/Diaw/Dorsey
O'Neal/Skinner

Though that puts the Suns into the luxury tax zone I'm sure, and thus, it won't happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have not been pushing Chalmers, but the Suns could make worse selections. He seems to play with exceptional maturity. I'm just not sure if he is a true PG. I do like the idea of bring James Jones back. However, the question is whether he would even want to come back here.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I have not been pushing Chalmers, but the Suns could make worse selections. He seems to play with exceptional maturity. I'm just not sure if he is a true PG. I do like the idea of bring James Jones back. However, the question is whether he would even want to come back here.

My worry about Chalmers is that his numbers didn't really improve over 3 seasons. He's shooting 10% better from 3 and his assist / t.o. ratio is better but that's all. Almost the same points, assists, rebounds, and FG%.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo just said they are picking Robin Lopez if he is on the board. He is usually right on draft day.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
My worry about Chalmers is that his numbers didn't really improve over 3 seasons. He's shooting 10% better from 3 and his assist / t.o. ratio is better but that's all. Almost the same points, assists, rebounds, and FG%.

Brandon Rush hasn't improved over 3 Seasons either.

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
No kidding...if this is true, it's just another kick in the nuts for Suns fans everywhere. If Rush is still on the board and we get Lopez I will freak out.

it seems like Portland will probably take Rush at 13, so the Suns won't have a shot at him. Even if thats the case, DO NOT TAKE FREAKING ROBIN LOPEZ. Good lord. That guy is NOT a 1st round pick, he's the guy you're happy to get in the 2nd round, but at 15? It would be a ridiculously bad move for the Suns.

Id much rather have Green, CDR, Batum or just about anyone. Bleck.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
it seems like Portland will probably take Rush at 13, so the Suns won't have a shot at him. Even if thats the case, DO NOT TAKE FREAKING ROBIN LOPEZ. Good lord. That guy is NOT a 1st round pick, he's the guy you're happy to get in the 2nd round, but at 15? It would be a ridiculously bad move for the Suns.

Agreed. Please God let this be a smokescreen.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

i can only hope my disappointment in robin lopez would mirror my disappointment in drafting marion and nash . . . i guess i can always hope for that . . . right?

OP
OP
H

HooverDam

Reaction score
i can only hope my disappointment in robin lopez would mirror my disappointment in drafting marion and nash . . . i guess i can always hope for that . . . right?

While you may have been disappointed in those picks, Nash and Marion were never seen as having the 'upside' of Anderson Varijeo.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
While you may have been disappointed in those picks, Nash and Marion were never seen as having the 'upside' of Anderson Varijeo.

i wish i could lol, but that only makes me more depressed. you are so right. sigh. a poor man's varejeo with our highest draft pick in ages. great. FLEXIBILITY!!!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Spurs are openly shopping their pick. Think we could pick it up for cash?

I'd love to take Bill Walker there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Spurs are openly shopping their pick. Think we could pick it up for cash?

I'd love to take Bill Walker there.

I heard the Spurs are trying to trade the pick but who knows... buy... trade?

However, the idea of the Suns buying a pick. Ridiculous. :shock:

It would ruin Sarver and Kerr's reputation even if such a move would help the Suns.

However, as I recall the last pick the Suns got from SA turned out to be LB.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
James Jones won't be taking his player option with Portland, what are the odds we can get him back? boy could we ever use his services

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake