Draft Kyler Murray #1, trade Josh Rosen?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Would Rosen fetch a number 1 pick; sure. Would I make this deal; no way. At some point everyone has to understand that KK’s hiring is a major gamble. I was good with gambling on Taylor so I’m okay with this move but it’s an even bigger risk. Compounding it by going with Murray makes the risk untenable for me. Can Murray play in this league; maybe. I like Rosen’s odds a great deal more. He’s no sure thing but I like much of what I’ve seen. If KK can’t make his offense work with him, he can’t likely work it in the NFL. Of course this is assuming Keim gets KK an O-Line and some receivers. Running a 5 receiver set with the current group would be a disaster. Let’s take one gamble at a time. If Rosen proves a stumbling block next year’s QB pool is excellent. Frankly I’m more concerned with the DC.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would Rosen fetch a number 1 pick; sure. Would I make this deal; no way. At some point everyone has to understand that KK’s hiring is a major gamble. I was good with gambling on Taylor so I’m okay with this move but it’s an even bigger risk. Compounding it by going with Murray makes the risk untenable for me. Can Murray play in this league; maybe. I like Rosen’s odds a great deal more. He’s no sure thing but I like much of what I’ve seen. If KK can’t make his offense work with him, he can’t likely work it in the NFL. Of course this is assuming Keim gets KK an O-Line and some receivers. Running a 5 receiver set with the current group would be a disaster. Let’s take one gamble at a time. If Rosen proves a stumbling block next year’s QB pool is excellent. Frankly I’m more concerned with the DC.
I totally agree Harry. This is the year to build around Rosen. Cap space , waiver control, high draft picks and a qb on a rookie contract. If Rosen sucks which I don’t believe he will the roster will( should) be in much better shape than it is today. If Rosen doesn’t pan out then next year we can move up in the draft if we have to.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree Harry. This is the year to build around Rosen. Cap space , waiver control, high draft picks and a qb on a rookie contract. If Rosen sucks which I don’t believe he will the roster will( should) be in much better shape than it is today. If Rosen doesn’t pan out then next year we can move up in the draft if we have to.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I don’t want to hear to hear the Russell Wilson comparisons. Wilson has at least 2” on Murray and has super clean mechanics with an over-the-top throwing motion. Murray is probably 5’”8 and is more of a 3qtr release slinger.

Murray is a much better athlete than Manziel but I think that his the better arm/mechanics comparison. Even Baker was a super clean thrower and had 4 years of starting experience.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals should not trade Rosen until they have given up on him as the QBOTF and it's simply too early to know.

Last season's offensive line was horrible and not much receiver help or play calling.

The addition of a quarterback in the draft would allow the Cardinals make sure they have the QBOTF on their roster.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wouldn't the extra year of rookie contract flexibility be at list a bit appealing? Especially if we are able to turn JR into, let's say, the Jacksonville pick at #7 or the Raiders at 4?

Rosen even with the year he had could be worth three extra slots in draft capital to Keim, while also strengthening our cap for one more year and adding one more top 7 level talent.

Then we parlay that into a combo of Kyler Murray and Jonah Williams?

OR

Nick Bosa & Dwayne Haskins?

OR

Nick Bosa & Kyler Murray (@ 4 or 7)

That wouldn't be worth a Rosen trade? OR EVEN EXPLORING THE POSSIBILITY??!!??!!??!!

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Wouldn't the extra year of rookie contract flexibility be at list a bit appealing? Especially if we are able to turn JR into, let's say, the Jacksonville pick at #7 or the Raiders at 4?

Rosen even with the year he had could be worth three extra slots in draft capital to Keim, while also strengthening our cap for one more year and adding one more top 7 level talent.

OR

OR

That wouldn't be worth a Rosen trade? OR EVEN EXPLORING THE POSSIBILITY??!!??!!??!!

lol

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I apologize if someone mentioned it and I missed it but IMO, the Cardinals are specifically trying to mimic what the Rams did. KK is their McVay and to that end, salvaging Rosen is the plan, not dumping him. Look at what was thought of Goff after year one. Rosen's pretty much in the same exact spot now and the parallels between the Rams/McVay and Cardinals/Kingsbury are almost eerie.

Rams had Goff who struggled as a rookie and Gurley coming off of a down year. Sounds exactly like the '18 Cardinals with Rosen and DJ to me. Granted, the Cards will have to find their version of Whitworth, Woods, etc. to round things out but the point is, KK is here to fix Rosen and catapult the Cardinals back into the modern NFL. Not scrap everything and go with a high risk, undersized, overdrafted project.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard from multiple reports that Kliff sold the Cardinals by coming in prepared with ideas for how to maximize Josh Rosen's potential and open up the offense for him to shine as the QB. Rosen's the guy...until he's not the guy...but he is going to be given every chance to be the guy.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Forget last year the Wilks era was a mirage an episode of the twilight zone. No judgements can be made. Let's just act as 2018 never existed

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No team in their right mind would ever spend their #1 pick on Murray and with Haskins in the draft he won't even be the first QB drafted. Anyone thinking Murray could go #1 overall no matter who has that pick is on the smoking some bad stuff. If there was a sensible way for us to deal Rosen and get value back that allowed us to get Haskins and another first round pick it would be awfully tempting but I don't see how that happens. There would have to be a lot of moving pieces that would involve us trading down probably involving two or more teams and the logistics are slim to none. I do think with Rosen and trading down to the 6 to 7 range that value could net an extra first round pick (probably future draft though) but too many moving pieces.

Unless Haskins just shines in the combine on some next level stuff where minds are blown we aren't taking Haskins which means Rosen is it.

Rosen has a chance to get good but I'm not holding my breath. I am kind of expecting him to turn into Capt Checkdown under this new offense. Whether it is productive enough to be a winning formula is yet to be seen. I just don't think his accuracy and reads are there yet to be someone who stretches the field, especially without a stable of talented WRs who can create space and fight off press coverage. Perhaps he undogoes a transformation this off-season and better coaches and training get him leveled up. Wilks or no Wilks, the big concern I had was the amount of regression in the parts of the game he had control over.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

OR

OR

I'd do that yeah, but I don't see a team trading a top 10 pick for Rosen.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. I'm not sure why "cannon" has ever been attached to Kyler.
Never thought that at all while watching him at OU.

However, his arm seems a bit stronger/better in the pros? I do remember hearing a scout say that with his baseball background (not throwing, but from hitting) that he'd have the torque to improve his arm strength. Similar to Aaron Rodgers.

Don't know if it'll ever get there, but again surprised.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never thought that at all while watching him at OU.

However, his arm seems a bit stronger/better in the pros? I do remember hearing a scout say that with his baseball background (not throwing, but from hitting) that he'd have the torque to improve his arm strength. Similar to Aaron Rodgers.

Don't know if it'll ever get there, but again surprised.

Agree. I always loved the quick & effortless release, but even as a huge K1 fan, I'm not certain "cannon" was appropriate. I will say though, that he appears to have more umph in his throws than he did while at OU.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that I apparently didn't comment on this thread when it was first posted so now i don't have to look back and see how poorly my comment aged !