Draft Kyler Murray #1, trade Josh Rosen?

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
What makes sense for me is that we try to improve Rosen's surrounding cast for the 2019 season, including coaching. Then if he continues to struggle, draft a QB in 2020. If Rosen is struggling, we'll be drafting near the top.

We can even wait until 2021 and draft Trevor Lawrence, who would be better than all of the 2020 QBs

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You play up the Murray rumors and try to get an all out bidding war for the first pick. It's called being smart! :D

But, you were saying them stating they would not take him would not give away their plans... it's called making sense
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
K

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
Oh there will be plenty of tanking in 2020 for the change to draft Lawrence.....Just hope the Cards aren't one of them

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
If you jettison your "QBOTF" every year just because the "next big thing" comes out of college, you'll be spinning your wheels forever.

Sincerely,

Josh Freeman
Jamarcus Russell
Matt Leinart
David Carr
Tom Couch
Akili Smith
Ryan Leaf
Heath Shuler

I'm a big Rosen fan, so I can't believe I'm sitting here arguing the concept of taking Kyler Murray (or Haskins), but only half of your list was the #1 overall pick. Not only that, but none of the players on the list were taken by teams "jettisoning" a QBOTF, they all needed someone.

Freeman - Replacing a 38 year old Jeff Garcia
Russell - Replacing Andrew Walter/Aaron Brooks who were clearly not answers
Leinart - "Replacing" a 34 year old Kurt Warner.
Carr - Replaced no one.
"Tom" Tim Couch - Replacing no one again.
Akili Smith - Replacing Neil O'Donnell... 'nuff said
Ryan Leaf - Replacing Craig Whelihan, and Stan Humphries, neither of who were the future
Heath Shuler - Replacing a 31 year old Rypien and 28 year old Rich Gannon

...Point is, these teams weren't giving up on guys they'd invested anything in at all, really.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Murray isn't just short, he's a toothpick that the likes of Aaron Donald will use to pick their teeth with.

He really has a cannon and can sling the ball but would need HUGE lanes to throw through. Think the O-Line here can open those?
He can sling the ball, definetly has a good arm especially considering his size, but a cannon, no, not compared to QBs who are known for arm strength. Those deep bombs hes often either crow hopping or putting a ton of air under them.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look st josh Rosen as if he didn’t play a down this year. In reality you CANNOT judge Rosen on the 2018 season. If fact you really can’t judge anybody on this team based on 2018. Josh is going to improve vastly this year. His surrounding cast and game plan will be designed for him to succeed. We will know by this time next year if Josh is going to be Jay Cutler or something better. If he totally bombs we will be the team trading multiple picks to move up and draft our qbotf....and that will be alright because if we do things right the rest of the team should be much better to support a new Qb on a rookie contract.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Is everyone sure that Rosen can run the Air Raid all out passing attack?

I’m still not convinced the 2 are a good match to thrive like the offense did in Lubbock & ive said this since the day KK was hired. I do like Murray & have since watching him regularly in HS, but I do have slight concerns about his size unlike Baker the Touchdown Maker last year. While slightly shorter (I swear he’s 5’9” I’ve stood beside him), he’s built for a smaller guy.

But then again it might just work & be a deadly combination! Intriguing to say the least. He’s pretty damn good & has been throughout HS & college. He’s got some magic in him.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All quarterbacks are considered busts by their fans unless they win the Super Bowl. Otherwise they either suck or are just guys, even if they put up occasional numbers.

You know who's been good this century? Manning. Brady. Roethlisberger. Rodgers. Brees.

Know who won't be remembered much? Rivers. Newton. Romo. Palmer. Luck.

Kyler Murray will come into the league like a firestorm, light everything up, and be gone in three years to injury. He's a wee RGIII.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He can sling the ball, definetly has a good arm especially considering his size, but a cannon, no, not compared to QBs who are known for arm strength. Those deep bombs hes often either crow hopping or putting a ton of air under them.

Exactly. I'm not sure why "cannon" has ever been attached to Kyler.

Reaction score

I’m still not convinced the 2 are a good match to thrive like the offense did in Lubbock & ive said this since the day KK was hired. I do like Murray & have since watching him regularly in HS, but I do have slight concerns about his size unlike Baker the Touchdown Maker last year. While slightly shorter (I swear he’s 5’9” I’ve stood beside him), he’s built for a smaller guy.

But then again it might just work & be a deadly combination! Intriguing to say the least. He’s pretty damn good & has been throughout HS & college. He’s got some magic in him.

Why would he need to? Everything I've read about KK is he caters his offense to fit his QB's strength. Josh just needs to do what Josh does best.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m stunned how much traction this benign comment from October has gotten from fans and local media. Clear hyperbole.
No, not clear hyperbole*, but the odds of it actually happening are somewhere between 5% - 10%.

* Because anything can happen in the wild, wild NFL.

DRM08

Veteran
Reaction score
Why would he need to? Everything I've read about KK is he caters his offense to fit his QB's strength. Josh just needs to do what Josh does best.

Correct. Davis Webb and Alan Bowman are examples of pocket passers who have had plenty of success in Kliff’s offense.

In fact as a true freshman this year, Bowman beat out a very mobile QB named Jett Duffey for playing time. Duffey struggles with the playbook and he’s a turnover machine. So even though Duffey is a much better runner and several years older, Kliff had way more trust in the freshman statue Bowman.

I think the most important thing is Rosen and Kliff need to be on the same page. It sounds like they are off to a good start from their early interaction on the phone.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score

They are not going to run a typical air raid offense. Trying to run it exactly the way he did in TT wont work. He even acknowledges this. It will be a hybrid style offense with many air raid concepts worked into it. This makes the OC extremely important because they will basically be blending their offense with KK's. We must have patience as the team grows together and learn what works and what doesn't. And like another poster said, KK will Taylor his O to what Rosen is good at and comfortable with. Adapting and adjusting i believe is one of KK's greatest strengths.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are not going to run a typical air raid offense. Trying to run it exactly the way he did in TT wont work. He even acknowledges this. It will be a hybrid style offense with many air raid concepts worked into it. This makes the OC extremely important because they will basically be blending their offense with KK's. We must have patience as the team grows together and learn what works and what doesn't. And like another poster said, KK will Taylor his O to what Rosen is good at and comfortable with. Adapting and adjusting i believe is one of KK's greatest strengths.
Add play calling to his strengths which I think is HUGE!

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Finallly, a solid assessment of our future offense.

Roger Pearson

Reaction score
Because of his height and the fact that he was considered a legit baseball prospect, Wilson went in the 3rd round. People are talking about taking Murray #1 in the draft. That's craziness. Also, Wilson had 1500 pass attempts in college. Murray had 500. Murray is way riskier than Wilson IMO.
no risk it no bisquit

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think a lot of the speculation comes from KK himself. this week in dallas on 1310 the ticket they have been playing the clip from an interview last season where he is raving about Murray being unlike any QB he's ever seen and says that he would take him with the top pick in the draft if he could. that could be hyperbole and obviously he did not know he would be in this position, but how funny this is for me now that he is.

As for my thoughts about Murray. He is clearly too short and that is the million dollar drawback, but with that said I don't think he compares with any NFL QB I've ever seen. He is not a guy that needs to run. his arm is incredible and it just so happens that he can out run a speed train if he wants to. I think the size is the sticking point, but if he declares for the draft he will get drafted high, likely first round. and for the record OU sucks!

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All quarterbacks are considered busts by their fans unless they win the Super Bowl. Otherwise they either suck or are just guys, even if they put up occasional numbers.

You know who's been good this century? Manning. Brady. Roethlisberger. Rodgers. Brees.

Kyler Murray will come into the league like a firestorm, light everything up, and be gone in three years to injury. He's a wee RGIII.
This is a bunch of hooey. So you're saying no one is going to remember Marino because he didn't win a title? There have been plenty of great QB's who never won a Super Bowl who are long remembered. Tarkenton, Kelly, Moon, Fouts, to name a few.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

I tend to agree with Romo somewhat in regards to the spirit of what you are trying to say, but he is so popular both good and bad(the dallas factor) I don't think he will be forgotten. he is now the top analyst for CBS and I don't think he is going to be fired any time soon.

Luck and rivers are still playing and I don't think it is a stretch to say that one of those two could be playing for a super bowl this season.