Draft Prospects thread

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Nowadays, MOST bigs play like small forwards. Heck, Dirk Nowitzki does and he's probably the MVP!

i wouldn't say most - i can think of just Dirk and Bargnani, maybe you can count Villanueva in that list as well, but other than that...
also - my opinion is that if the Suns take big - they better take one who can actually play as big - I would definetely prefer Splitter over Jianlian

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i wouldn't say most - i can think of just Dirk and Bargnani, maybe you can count Villanueva in that list as well, but other than that...
also - my opinion is that if the Suns take big - they better take one who can actually play as big - I would definetely prefer Splitter over Jianlian

I guess you would have to start with the obvious: Boris Diaw.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
I guess you would have to start with the obvious: Boris Diaw.

I wouldn't say Diaw quite fit that category, as he is not a big !
his size is actually quite right for forward. (listed at 6'8)
both Dirk and Bargnani are 7 footers (just like Jianlian) and Villanueva is listed 6'11

besides - the fact we have Diaw is just another reason to pass on Jianlian in the draft !

cly2tw

Reaction score
I wouldn't say Diaw quite fit that category, as he is not a big !
his size is actually quite right for forward. (listed at 6'8)
both Dirk and Bargnani are 7 footers (just like Jianlian) and Villanueva is listed 6'11

besides - the fact we have Diaw is just another reason to pass on Jianlian in the draft !

You have a very strange view about how the Suns play games. Diaw plays 4/5 on the Suns with great success. I bet Dirk and Bargani would too. In this sense, Yi's traits suit the team perfectly well, whether his mental predisposition would make him a star or a bust.

Also, your reference of his attitude problem seems to contradict the scouts' assessments quoted by other posters. Do you have a link for us?

Personally, I think many of his problems are due to the fact that the competition in the CBA is too inferior that he easily could get by with shooting midrange jumpers etc., so that the immediate incentive to develop more low post skills were simply not there. Hey, even Amare's lowpost is still a work in progress for the very same reason.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
You have a very strange view about how the Suns play games. Diaw plays 4/5 on the Suns with great success. I bet Dirk and Bargani would too. In this sense, Yi's traits suit the team perfectly well, whether his mental predisposition would make him a star or a bust.

Also, your reference of his attitude problem seems to contradict the scouts' assessments quoted by other posters. Do you have a link for us?

Personally, I think many of his problems are due to the fact that the competition in the CBA is too inferior that he easily could get by with shooting midrange jumpers etc., so that the immediate incentive to develop more low post skills were simply not there. Hey, even Amare's lowpost is still a work in progress for the very same reason.

maybe
anyway - my initial point was, that the Suns don't need another small forward even if he is 7 foot tall. and that list was just a way of arguing the statment, that there are many big's in the NBA who plays like forwards... we have enough of those

about his attitude problems - those scouting reports i have been reading relates strcktly on his play in his club. and i doubt you would hear anything negative about their players at all, ever about anyone. Also, Chinese show to other people only what they want to show.
if i remeber correctly, these talks were brought up after WC and they came out of china national team stuff, witch comes from the same region i am, including one of my countryman (baltic states) so things about that china team were reflected quite well. thou they were covered up pretty quickly
ī can't be sure about how much truth has been in those talks, and i can't guarantee, that all of it is not completely bogus, but if there is even a remote chance, that this is true...
also - i never said that he won't be successfull with the Suns or he'll definetely be a bust. thou i'm not sold on him at all. All I'm just saying - with such a high pick in such a deep draft - i would prefer taking somene not so risky prospect.

Last edited:

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
It should be noted that although Yi is probably going to start at SF, he'll definitely move to PF in time after he adds strength. Also, I think that we just have different philosophies when it comes to the draft. I don't mind taking a guy like Yi who has the potential to either be a huge success or a huge bust, mainly because we're already winning without him. The fact is that we really don't need a rookie to come in and make an immediate contribution, so we can risk taking a developemental player who we can groom to take over a starting position somewhere down the line. However, if we wanted to go for a safe pick, I'd go with Joakim Noah. He's probably the safest bet in all of the draft, and even though he might never develop into a great player, you know that with his energy he'll always fill a role.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
It should be noted that although Yi is probably going to start at SF, he'll definitely move to PF in time after he adds strength. Also, I think that we just have different philosophies when it comes to the draft. I don't mind taking a guy like Yi who has the potential to either be a huge success or a huge bust, mainly because we're already winning without him. The fact is that we really don't need a rookie to come in and make an immediate contribution, so we can risk taking a developemental player who we can groom to take over a starting position somewhere down the line. However, if we wanted to go for a safe pick, I'd go with Joakim Noah. He's probably the safest bet in all of the draft, and even though he might never develop into a great player, you know that with his energy he'll always fill a role.

usually i wouldn't mind taking the risk in that kind of situation as well - it's just that this could be a very special draft, and Suns have a chance to get a pretty high pick with witch they have a chance to take a player, that can help them be on top for a very long time and i really don't want for suns to screw it up.
i also have sad it earlier, that i wouldn't mind Jianlian with our Cleveland pick, thou he probably won't be there. Also i have to admit, that i base my opinion about US players only on scouting reports and fan posts. it's different story about player who play in europe. that sad, i would love to see Splitter and also Fernandez in Suns uni.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Exactly, all that Jianling needs to do in this system is be able to rebound/block shots well, and be able to throw the outlet pass. Anythign else is gravy.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
usually i wouldn't mind taking the risk in that kind of situation as well - it's just that this could be a very special draft, and Suns have a chance to get a pretty high pick with witch they have a chance to take a player, that can help them be on top for a very long time and i really don't want for suns to screw it up......

one chicken, two chickens, three chickens...

oh wait, those are eggs.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
haven't seen him, but from what i have read, he's not a perimiter player, so what's your point ??

My point is that you seem so caught up in the traditional position structure you fail to recognize that the traditional position structure doesn't really exist in today's NBA.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
My point is that you seem so caught up in the traditional position structure you fail to recognize that the traditional position structure doesn't really exist in today's NBA.

Wasn't there a quote from D'A saying that wthout Boris the Suns play a lot more "traditional". Tradition can be an effective strategy on occasion and a useful weapon in the arsenal. I'm not saying draft a stiff, I'd just like to have the option of going big with Amare on or off the floor.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I caught the end of the Duke-NC State game tonight and one particular player caught my eye briefly. It was the Wolfpack point guard, Engin Atsur, from Turkey I think. I'm not what you'd call a college BB junkie so I really have not seen him play at all, but there was one play that suprised me. It was a one-handed, on the move bounce pass to the cutter from a pick and roll, ala Steve Nash, that I haven't seen in the college game. I realize it is only one play so I'm not advocating drafting the kid, but I'm curious to hear from somebody that has watched him play regularly in the ACC. I've checked his stats and they're not eye-popping, but sometimes the stats don't really tell the story.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score

from what exactly you assumed that ?! because i said i don't want the Suns to draft another forward, even if he's 7 foot tall ?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
from what exactly you assumed that ?! because i said i don't want the Suns to draft another forward, even if he's 7 foot tall ?
Nope, it was referring to your blanket statement that bigs don't play as small forwards, when in fact at least 80% of the "bigs" in the NBA play like small forwards, including some of the best players in the league (Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett).

You're not going to find another Shaquille O'Neal, they just don't exist anymore. I suppose you can say Greg Oden can be of that mold, but there's no way we could get Oden anyway.

80% of the 7-footers you will find in the future will be of the quality you apparently don't want to touch. Even Marcus Camby isn't a traditional 7-footer, and I would assume he would be someone you'd be interested in.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Nope, it was referring to your blanket statement that bigs don't play as small forwards, when in fact at least 80% of the "bigs" in the NBA play like small forwards, including some of the best players in the league (Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett).

You're not going to find another Shaquille O'Neal, they just don't exist anymore. I suppose you can say Greg Oden can be of that mold, but there's no way we could get Oden anyway.

80% of the 7-footers you will find in the future will be of the quality you apparently don't want to touch. Even Marcus Camby isn't a traditional 7-footer, and I would assume he would be someone you'd be interested in.

i never said that bigs don't play as small forwards in general. And i still disagree with your statment that most bigs play like ones. Garnett is not playing like small forward, thou he can play like one at times. it doesn't mean he plays.
so who else, from bigs play like perimeter players ?? Emeka Okafor, Al Jefferson, Kaman maybe Dwight Howard, Samuel Dalember or Jermaine O'Neal ??

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Possiblilities for 2nd round pick Steal:

SF/PF Rashad Jones-Jennings from Arkansas-Little Rock
6'8", 231lbs Stats: 50%Fg, 58%Ft, 13rbs, 1.5asst, 1St, 1Bk, 12pts

SF Stephane Lasme from UMASS
6'8", 220lbs Stats: 63%Fg, 61%Ft, 9rbs, 1asst, 1St, 5BKs, 14pts

PF/C Herbert Hill from Providence
6'10", 240lbs Stats: 63%Fg, 60%Ft, 8.7Rbs, 2asst, 1St, 3Bks, 18pts

SF Chris Oliver from Radford
6'7", 200lbs Stats: 49%Fg, 78%Ft, 8Rbs, 2asst, 2St, 2Bks, 19pts

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

good thing Issiah Thomas doesnt have 4 first round picks.

Errntknght

Reaction score

13 RBs! Music to my ears... use our own first rounder on him

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
There's an interesting article on DraftExpress saying that htere will no longer be private workouts before the pre-draft camp. This is a bit of a bummer for me as I really enoyed watching the video of some of their workouts and seeing who all they brought in. I guess there are only 23 days (or something like that) between the end of pre-draft camp and the draft for teams to schedule workouts with prospects. My guess will be that this hurts second round prospects more than anybody as they won't get a chance to workout for teams privately. I guess they will really have to show their stuff at those predraft games and the invitational.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score

DraftExpress says Herbert Hill is, unlike their earlier impression, primarily a post up player. If he has a serviceable jumper I'd still like the Suns to trade a future second or something for the chance to get him. I really believe having a traditional post-up big on the roster could pay dividends in the games where the Suns have a hard time dictating tempo or when the jumpers aren't falling. He wouldn't be an immediate help no doubt but as long as he doesn't have stiff written all over him he'd hardly hurt the team.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Horford

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=415

NCAA Weekly Performers-- 3/7/2007, Part One
March 7, 2007
Al Horford’s had a pretty strong season thus far, consistently showing the tenacity he’s become known for on defense and the boards, but also making some little strides in his offensive game as well, using the mid-range jumper more consistently and showing small signs of progress in his touch around the basket.

Horford had two pretty good showings to close out the SEC regular season, notching double-doubles against both Tennessee and Kentucky this past week. Horford’s biggest contribution in both games was his work on defense and the boards, but he did a good job playing in the post on offense as well, showing a nice array of moves, including a drop step, hook shot, spin move, the ability to use glass, and most importantly a better touch around the rim than he has in the past. Horford also showed good composure while facing double teams and made some nice kick-out passes for open shot opportunities.

Horford’s post game was certainly not flawless, though, as his feel for the game when he has the ball still leaves a lot to be desired, mainly when he has it outside of five feet. Horford doesn’t have much of a face-up game, and if he can’t gain superior position backing his man down, he doesn’t have much success with his post moves outside of his comfort zone, which is within five feet of the basket.

As mentioned above, one area Horford has improved upon this year is his mid-range jumper, and this gives him something he can contribute outside the painted area on the offensive end. In a 23-game sample of his 29 games this season, Horford has taken 40 spot-up jumpers, mostly from around 10-15 feet, and he’s hit 24 of them (60%). While this is not yet a major staple of his game, Horford’s now taking close to two spot-up jumpers per game of the 8.3 field goals he attempts, whereas he sparingly used the jumper last season and wasn’t very effective with it. Horford’s release on his shot isn’t very quick, but he has a high release point and decent form, and with more work in the offseason, he could develop his mid-range jumper into a reliable weapon in his offensive arsenal.

Speaking in terms of the NBA, Horford will likely never be relied upon much on the offensive end; what teams will value him for will be his excellent defensive abilities, both in terms of man-to-man and team defense. While he didn’t get to show it much in these past two games due to the opposition, Horford is an excellent man-to-man defender in the post, possessing great strength, length, and a very strong fundamental base along with the wherewithal to use it effectively. Horford’s defensive prowess also extends to the perimeter, though, where he has the length and lateral quickness to guard many perimeter-oriented big men, which will make him a huge defensive asset at the next level, likely being capable of guarding most power forwards and centers in the league. In the Kentucky game, Horford did an excellent job moving between the post and the perimeter on defense, making switches, and using his length to aggressively stick his man on the perimeter. Horford did have some trouble staying with small forward Bobby Perry on some plays, but he doesn’t project to guard small forwards at the next level, so that’s not too concerning.

Horford’s also an excellent weakside defender, always keeping his eye on the ball and his man, and making quick rotations across the lane when necessary, using his length and timing to block and alter many shot attempts. Horford’s shot-blocking abilities are also evident in his man-to-man defense in the post, where he causes fits when the opposition tries to shoot over him. On the boards, Horford does a very good job boxing his man out, and also has the mobility to chase down many long rebounds.

Horford projects as a mid-lottery pick in the upcoming draft, where he is pretty much a lock to declare. While not as recognizable or highly touted as teammate Joakim Noah, Horford has the chance to be just as good, if not better, a pro, especially if he can continue to make strides with his offensive game, specifically by working to have a more consistent mid-range jumper and improving his touch around the rim and feel for the game in the post. Horford should be able to contribute right away in the NBA with his versatile defensive abilities and tenacity on the boards, while also being able to play a garbage man type role on the offensive end until he puts in more work on the finer aspects of his scoring. If he continues to make more strides on the offensive end, Horford could make an impact similar to that of Emeka Okafor in the NBA, and it shouldn’t take that much time.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Is D'Antoni going to want to take a guy like Hoford who is going to be so offensively limited? D'Antoni loves shooters, and also doesn't seem to have much patience for developing young guys- only guy who has developed here has been LB, and he hired his brother to do that.

I think D'Antoni might lean a bit towards getting a guy who is ready now, rather than any sort of project, because he'll be trying to repeat a championship run next season.

Thats right- I said it.