Draft Prospects thread

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I believe the Atl pick is top 3 protected this year and top 1 protected the following year, but maybe my memory is failing me. Like you said thought, the odds of Oden staying in school are very small because he wanted to go into the draft straight from HS.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I believe the Atl pick is top 3 protected this year and top 1 protected the following year, but maybe my memory is failing me. Like you said thought, the odds of Oden staying in school are very small because he wanted to go into the draft straight from HS.

Top 3 this year, no protection after that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is some decent prospects...however, something tells me not to be dissapointed if the Suns trade away their 1st day draft...again.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just based on w-l record, that ATL pick is about 10 right now, and its rising.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Actually it is #8 right now and I expect New York with Curry on fire, Toronto with Bosh back, Portland, Memphis with Gasol back and Boston if they get AI to possibly be better than Atlanta so it could be as high as 3rd most odds to actually win the lottery.

sunsfn

Reaction score
The Suns know how valuable the pick from Atlanta is. They will not be trading that pick away. They can get a starter with that pick if they get it this year, and probably if they get it next year.

If they trade it, it would have to be in a trade for a very good player, or to go higher in the draft on draft day.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, even our worst pick in 2007 should be at least better than James Jones right away.

Doubtful. Most rookies aren't known for their defense. I for one am glad that JR is getting time. He's just working out the kinks and he hasn't cost the Suns any games that I know of. He'll get better. :koolaid: (beat you to it)

Anybody out there follow Duke? I'm curious if McRoberts is a hard worker.

Last edited:

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
has anyone seen bobby brown play? reading his profile on nbadraft he sounds alot like nash. but those profile can be very misleading.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Oden is on national TV today btw, 10/8/3 or sth at half, Cincy shooting 19% and Oden is a big reason why.

Nash

Reaction score
Oden is on national TV today btw, 10/8/3 or sth at half, Cincy shooting 19% and Oden is a big reason why.

crap! talk about horrible basketball. I'm a Cincinnati alum and this is the first, and probably the only nationally televised game for us this year. they beat a ranked Xavier team last week but they're playing like **** today.

The current Cincinnati team is young and was assembled over just 3 months, because coach Huggins was ousted. We lost most of our starting five to graduation.
But thats no excuse for such horrible basketball. Oden is treating the Bearcats like a bunch of 10 yr olds. He doesn't seem to even be trying hard.

:barf:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Last edited:

Nash

Reaction score
Great News! Bill Walker, they highschool teammate of OJ Mayo will probably be in the draft as well most likely.
He is said to be the next Vince Carter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G33_XkeVS8
This is actually a guy the Suns could use. Future Starting SG.
Kansas State debut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K09krOegG4&mode=related&search=
Thats my new favorite for the Hawks pick right there.

Walker and Mayo had both decided to join UC before Huggins was booted out, so I've been following their news pretty closely (I'm a UC alum).
As most of you must know, Walker had major major academic problems and its a miracle that he actually got out of high school.

I have yet to watch the video, but beware of anyone who is touted as the next Vince Carter. That was exactly the label James White carried out of high school. He just did not live up to the hype, though he got real good towards the end of college. Interestingly White can play defense 10 times better than Carter on any day.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its time to start rooting for Atlanta. We don't want them in a top 3 pick this year. With our luck, they would get Oden, and then win 50 next year, leaving us at the bottom of the 1st round again.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Its time to start rooting for Atlanta. We don't want them in a top 3 pick this year. With our luck, they would get Oden, and then win 50 next year, leaving us at the bottom of the 1st round again.

:nono:

Have you been checking records? There are a few teams ahead of Atlanta in the loss column with between 17-20 losses each. Atlanta only has like 15 losses with some other teams having similar records. We sure dont need to be paranoid about Atlanta having one of the top three worst records at this point. Its nowhere near that time to root for Atlanta to start winning games.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:nono:

Have you been checking records? There are a few teams ahead of Atlanta in the loss column with between 17-20 losses each. Atlanta only has like 15 losses with some other teams having similar records. We sure dont need to be paranoid about Atlanta having one of the top three worst records at this point. Its nowhere near that time to root for Atlanta to start winning games.

Well, yes, it is paranoia, but there is some justification. The Suns have absolutely the worst luck with the draft (not in player choice but in slotting). From the coin flip, to the lottos where the ping pong balls always seem to come up the worst possible way for the Suns.

The nightmare scenario here is that the Hawks end up like the Spurs the year before Duncan was drafted. Robinson goes down with a back injury and their record goes in the crapper (btw, that's when Popovich decided to fire the coach and take the reigns himself--how convenient). Then they get the top pick and get Duncan. Next thing you know, they are contending.

In the Hawks scenario, substitute JJ for Robinson, Oden for Duncan, and ANY coach would be better than their present coach. The Hawks end up with a top 10 record next year and we're screwed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just an idea. How many picks would you be willing to trade right now to Atlanta to remove their protection this year on their pick?

I'd certainly trade our pick this year, and I would consider our #1 next year.

It's an interesting propostion. Our risk, giving up 1 or 2 picks for absolutely nothing if their pick ends up out of the top 3.

They have the potential of picking up 2 first rounders for nothing.

But, in the remote chance it ends up #1-3. Wow.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Watching the Florida-Ohio State game......

I'll say it right now. Horford will be the best pro on that team. He reminds of a slightly less explosive Amare. Right now, he'd be my choice with the hawks pick. Brewer will probably fall the second half of the first round and some team will be very lucky. Brewer will be an excellent role player in the NBA with ability to defend the perimeter, handle the ball, and score. I think both would be very successful in the Suns system.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watching the Florida-Ohio State game......

I'll say it right now. Horford will be the best pro on that team. He reminds of a slightly less explosive Amare. Right now, he'd be my choice with the hawks pick. Brewer will probably fall the second half of the first round and some team will be very lucky. Brewer will be an excellent role player in the NBA with ability to defend the perimeter, handle the ball, and score. I think both would be very successful in the Suns system.
i was just thinking the same thing. i was thinkning he would be the one even before the game and he looked really good today.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that Julian Wright is also a very nice prospect. I wouldn't mind him even with ATL's pick. He seems to be the more athletic version of Boris Diaw.

Unfortunately his similarity to Diaw may narrow his chances to crack into the rotation.

sunsfn

Reaction score
There is going to be a number of bigs in this draft that are going to go early.
If the suns do not have the opportunity on their first pick to get the big they want, I think they will go for a shooter. I believe that is a very important commodity in D'Antonis teams.
When Raza Bell or J. Jones are not hitting, it leaves it to Nash to score 20-30 points for us to win. THis has happened lately and because we do not have a decent backup to Nash, it causes more problems. Barbosa is going to be our 6th man off the bench and his energy is great, but we need a starter at the two guard that can just plain shoot, and hopefully will have some size to be a decent defender.
Julian Wright is going to be an excellent player in a couple years, and maybe he will be able to shoot good enough to be that draft pick.

If the suns keep their first two picks they have a chance to get a big and a shooter that could help the team. Usually it takes a couple years for them to help, and I would not be surprised to see the suns trade their two later picks to get a veteran shooter.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I would tend to agree. Right now the Suns would probably be looking to get another athletic big man and a sg/sf in the draft. There will likely be a great deal of good big men in this draft, especially up front. Right now, I dont see a great guard class, especially guards that shoot well. I've never seen Bill Walker play so I can't really say much about him, but the buzz certainly sounds like he would be a great fit playing both sg and sf for the Suns. Belinelli can shoot and I can see him being successful for the Suns, but is he another liability on defense? It should be a fun draft.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, yes, it is paranoia, but there is some justification. The Suns have absolutely the worst luck with the draft (not in player choice but in slotting). From the coin flip, to the lottos where the ping pong balls always seem to come up the worst possible way for the Suns.

The nightmare scenario here is that the Hawks end up like the Spurs the year before Duncan was drafted. Robinson goes down with a back injury and their record goes in the crapper (btw, that's when Popovich decided to fire the coach and take the reigns himself--how convenient). Then they get the top pick and get Duncan. Next thing you know, they are contending.

In the Hawks scenario, substitute JJ for Robinson, Oden for Duncan, and ANY coach would be better than their present coach. The Hawks end up with a top 10 record next year and we're screwed.

Yeah whatever...Just root for the Hawks to lose....ok?