Draft Prospects thread

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
green doesn't have the handles that joe did in college. he's strictly a frontcourt player. and his athleticism is limited. for that reason i actually prefer thornton. and remember, i'm a hoya.

After seeing more of him I would agree with that. A Phoenix Suns player he more closely resembles is Boris Diaw , and in fact after his game against Ohio State in the final four I feel even more strongly about that.

Joe

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Noah will be a bust. Florida is winning but their big man can't get it done against Oden at all. Noah's defense is very suspect and I can't imagine us drafting someone with that little talent offensively, man Noah is just so mechanical, the opposite of smooth. He is like Bo Outlaw, Mark Madsen just bigger. As far as I am concerned Noah isn't even the 2nd best player of Florida.

Greg Oden is backing him down like a child..

Draft Brandan Wright who is a better version of LaMarcus Aldridge, often compared to Chris Bosh. Horford would be ok as well, he might be the next Elton Brand.

But absolutey NO to Noah. Hasn't improved one bit from last season, hasn't put up any more muscle and weight. He strikes me as someone who just loves to play and enjoy himself but without the workethic and determination you would be looking for in a top lottery pick.

Speaking to the media Sunday afternoon at the Georgia Dome, Ohio State's stoic freshman center took a jab at Florida's energetic power forward. "I think my mom wouldn't like me acting like that," Oden said. "She taught me better." When he heard of the remarks, Noah shrugged them off. "We're different people," said Noah, perhaps known as much for his chest-thumping enthusiasm as his second-team AP All-American game. "My mom doesn't care. I think my mom's proud of me on the court

If you don't know what Oden is referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5T6RFE3XVo

Sure makes him look like an idiot..

good lord, these are kids. let them be kids. they'll have to grow up soon enough in the nba.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
His only problem is that he has no talent, just size, athleticism and a lot of energy. Oden made him look like a girl he was backing down, I can't imagine how we could draft a guy who basically has no offensive game either. Marcus Camby is actually smooth, Joakim Noah is the opposite.

oden is gonna make a lot of people look like girls. he's got that kind of size, power, and athleticism.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
After seeing more of him I would agree with that. A Phoenix Suns player he more closely resembles is Boris Diaw , and in fact after his game against Ohio State in the final four I feel even more strongly about that.

Joe

that game (sadly) was the perfect exposure of green's limitations. how many times did he try the same move into the lane while getting the ball stripped? i was embarrassed.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Noah's stock is dropping, so the question is how far. He's not worth a an early mid lottery pick, but is certainly worth a mid found (15 plus or minus) because he's very quick and is 6'11". Unlike Stephen Hunter, Noah is a good rebounder and passer.

For the Atlanta pick, the Suns need more than a new and improved Hunter; but later in the first round he'd be a good pickup.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
What I would love to see happen is for the Suns to use their Atlanta pick on Horford or Yi and trade their other two first rounders and whatever else it may take to move up and get Mike Conley Jr. That kid is going to be a stud and would be IMO the perfect replacement for Nash as he slows down. That is if he decides to enter the draft... That would be my ideal Suns draft...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What I would love to see happen is for the Suns to use their Atlanta pick on Horford or Yi and trade their other two first rounders and whatever else it may take to move up and get Mike Conley Jr. That kid is going to be a stud and would be IMO the perfect replacement for Nash as he slows down. That is if he decides to enter the draft... That would be my ideal Suns draft...

i'd lose my mind (in a good way) if we ended up with horford and conley. but i don't think we have a snowball's prayer in hell of landing conley with our later picks, even packaged.

asudevil83

Reaction score
i'd lose my mind (in a good way) if we ended up with horford and conley. but i don't think we have a snowball's prayer in hell of landing conley with our later picks, even packaged.

unless we throw in Barbosa

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score

I dont know this is a really deep draft and depending on who declares bigs always go earlier than smalls. We may have to include a future first to make it happen but I would be ok with it I think he is as talented as Chris Paul with more upside. but thats jmo..

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score

No way we could do that, although I'd definitely be happy.

I'd love to get rid of our later picks (because you know we have to) to move up to the third spot and take Brandan Wright.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6638194
"Playing well in March didn't do much for the draft status of Scotty Thurman and Tyus Edney, did it?" Mean Guy asked.

Uh, that answer would be no.

"If anything, the tournament gives someone like me a bit more time to nitpick the players who've been on our radar for a while."

With that in mind, let's have Mean Guy's insights on the Florida triad of Joakim Noah, Al Horford and Corey Brewer.

"Noah has no low-post game. Zip," Mean Guy said. "But he can run, he's long and he can make a good team better through effort on the boards. I wouldn't take him in the lottery, no way. Horford I like, but I doubt that he's 6-10 as listed. In addition to that strength, he's long, though, and might be pretty solid for several years if he works on shooting it from mid-range.

"I like Brewer, but he dribbles the ball too high in traffic and while he's great at playing pass lanes, double-teaming and closing out, his on-ball defense is just good, not great. The three Florida guys will all contribute, but I don't see any as All-Stars."

How about the Ohio State guys?

"Don't even bother with (Greg) Oden," Mean Guy said. "Case closed. He's a once-in-a-decade center. Now, we've known about (freshman point guard Mike) Conley, but he really did take it up a notch in March. But he's still shaky as a shooter, which will limit penetration opportunities in our league until he gets better."

Next up is Happy Scout, who provided a short list of rising prospects.

"I really like the Maynor kid from VCU," Happy Scout said of Eric, the sophomore point guard. "He's got quickness, bounce, strength and a nice shooting stroke. He defends, too. The kid should be even better as a pro.

"Another small-school kid I like is the big guy (Craig) Bradshaw from Winthrop. We've known about him — knew he could shoot it — but I saw more inside toughness during the tournament. He can play in our league."

Let's take a look at lesser-known players from bigger schools, shall we?

"Well, Nick Young from USC can be an outstanding pro," Happy Scout said of the 6-6 swingman. "I mean All-Star good. I know the comparison always goes to (Arron) Afflalo from UCLA, but they're in the same city so ... Young is better at creating off the bounce, he's longer and is a more consistent shooter. He's just a more fluid player."

Let's bring it home with Mean Guy.

"Don't get too excited about what you saw in March," he said. "If you do, you might end up taking someone like (former Bradley center) Patrick O'Bryant in the lottery."

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm almost hoping Horford is under 6'10" because he might drop a slot or two. For some reason reach is not as highly valued as it should be.

Brewer looked so good in the last two games that it overcame some very weak offensive performances early. His season three point average was only 31%. I think his defense is very good, but at 190 pounds he might not go as high as he might based on performance due to the NBA preference for strength.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Firday is crucial to determining the value of the pick. The Hawks are in a good position right now...they are fourth with breathing room below them as well as above them...only the Bucks are similar to their record (a half game above in the lottery standings) and they are due to play each other Friday. Lets hope the Hawks win that one to soldiify their fourth position and not move up to third.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Firday is crucial to determining the value of the pick. The Hawks are in a good position right now...they are fourth with breathing room below them as well as above them...only the Bucks are similar to their record (a half game above in the lottery standings) and they are due to play each other Friday. Lets hope the Hawks win that one to soldiify their fourth position and not move up to third.

Done. We're in about as good a shape as we could possibly be. Its now up to the old ping pong balls. The problem is that with the Suns, the coin never flips the right way.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Who else feels like jumping on the Nicolas Batum bandwagon? I invite you now!

A pretty poor video here but the only one I know of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgcDNhAtFpk

6'8 7'1 wingspan 210lbs 12/14/1988 18yrs old from France

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=537

http://www.nbadraft.net/2007hoopsummit002.asp
Nicolas Batum -- Batum was the player scouts were focusing on most, and he was absolutely sensational. He likely played himself into being a lottery pick with his performance in this game. He was that good. After a slow start, Batum blew up with an assortment of impressive dunks and outside shots. He was the game's high scorer with 23 points on 9-13 shooting, hitting 3-5 from deep. He first converted on a drive to the basket in which he dunked over Patrick Patterson. He then caught a great Koponen pass for a thunderous ally oop dunk. He also displayed excellent passing ability setting up teammates for baskets on a number of occasions, and ones that should have been converted as well. Batum's 7'1" wingspan is very impressive for a wing player, giving him a huge edge defensively and on drives to the basket. He also led the World team with 4 steals.
You must be registered for see images

Ah well it might be even tougher to trade up for him then Brewer now, unless we trade down or reach with Atlanta's pick.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
nbadraft.net has Bantun him at 22. I don't expect the Euros to go as high as in the past due to a carryover from the Vazquez fiasco.

Bantum is the kind of guy who might be worth taking with one of the two later picks due to his reach and skills as a perimeter defender.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who else feels like jumping on the Nicolas Batum bandwagon? I invite you now!

A pretty poor video here but the only one I know of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgcDNhAtFpk

6'8 7'1 wingspan 210lbs 12/14/1988 18yrs old from France

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=537

http://www.nbadraft.net/2007hoopsummit002.asp
Nicolas Batum -- Batum was the player scouts were focusing on most, and he was absolutely sensational. He likely played himself into being a lottery pick with his performance in this game. He was that good. After a slow start, Batum blew up with an assortment of impressive dunks and outside shots. He was the game's high scorer with 23 points on 9-13 shooting, hitting 3-5 from deep. He first converted on a drive to the basket in which he dunked over Patrick Patterson. He then caught a great Koponen pass for a thunderous ally oop dunk. He also displayed excellent passing ability setting up teammates for baskets on a number of occasions, and ones that should have been converted as well. Batum's 7'1" wingspan is very impressive for a wing player, giving him a huge edge defensively and on drives to the basket. He also led the World team with 4 steals.
You must be registered for see images

Ah well it might be even tougher to trade up for him then Brewer now, unless we trade down or reach with Atlanta's pick.

I taped that game and would offer to loan it to anybody who wanted to see Batum but unfortunately I taped Planet Earth over it last night.

Batum was the most impressive player in the game, 17 and really athletic but pretty under control. Mayo was good but out of control, 5 turnovers always going for the spectacular when an easy pass would have worked.

There was a British Kid in the game who caught my eye too, 6'10" and he's
only 15. He's not listed on the official roster I think his last name was Edwards but I'm blanking on it. He didn't play all that great in the game but he sure is an impressive athlete for his age and size.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Batun's drive and dunk was SICK! I think it's the one that was over Patterson. He got the pass when he was standing out behind the 3-pt line on the right wing, he head faked up and crossed over straight to the rim for a two-haded jam in traffic! Excellent display of athleticism and aggressiveness!!!

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Done. We're in about as good a shape as we could possibly be. Its now up to the old ping pong balls. The problem is that with the Suns, the coin never flips the right way.

So are we now a lock for the 4th pick? Haven't studied how much can change, but currently that's where we are sitting. http://nbadraft.net/#

As between Horford and Brewer, I like Brewer. The guy reminds me of Scottie Pippen. He is very versatile and I think he would be a great fit for our team.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So are we now a lock for the 4th pick? Haven't studied how much can change, but currently that's where we are sitting. http://nbadraft.net/#

As between Horford and Brewer, I like Brewer. The guy reminds me of Scottie Pippen. He is very versatile and I think he would be a great fit for our team.

I really like Brewer, but Horford is listed as 55 pounds heavier and can defend the low post with the speed to run the court. I would hugely disappointed if the Suns passed on Horford for a guy who is 190 pounds.

The much more interesting question is if Horford goes third and it becomes between Brandan Wright and Brewer.

Wright is viewed as an outstanding offensive threat with a huge upside, but at 210 pounds is not strong enough to defend the post and shot no three pointers.

Brewer is viewed as the next T Prince as a defensive stopper. If he was 40 pounds heavier, he'd have a shot at top three following a huge tournament. At a listed 190 pounds, he's viewed as strictly a wing although he does rebound pretty well.

I like Brewer over Wright, but I don't think either solve the Suns main problem.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
I would love to package our pick with Cleavland's pick to move up to mid round and pick up Acie Law. Best PG in the draft and Steve Nash isn't getting any younger.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would love to package our pick with Cleavland's pick to move up to mid round and pick up Acie Law. Best PG in the draft and Steve Nash isn't getting any younger.

I know I'm in a minority, but I like Conley and Collison more than Law because they are better defenders. nbadraft.com does not rank Law as high as you might expect due to his weaknesses: http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/acielaw.html

Weaknesses: Still learning how to play the point guard position from the stand point of improving his teammates and controlling the tempo of games … Could stand to increase his upper body strength and add a few pounds to his frame … Perimeter shooting despite improvement can still go through streakiness … Settles at times for mid-range shots when he could drive to the basket and put pressure on the defense … Lacks the explosive first step to get full separation from his defender … Doesn’t always apply the same intensity on defense that he shows on offense … Can be a little turnover prone as he can telegraph his passes … Still remains to be seen if he is able to make players around him better … The mechanics in his shooting form are flawed and could need to be refined if he struggles in the NBA … Lack of strength prevents him from finishing after contact ... Defensively Law tends to gamble reaching for the ball and picks up quick fouls … While greatly improved, Law can go through periods where his overall play is inconsistent …

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm in a minority, but I like Conley and Collison more than Law because they are better defenders. nbadraft.com does not rank Law as high as you might expect due to his weaknesses:

but you are not alone :) i too prefer to take Conley or Collison not Law.
thou it's doubtful either of them will be in Suns reach, unless we trade up