Draft Prospects thread

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Julian Wright said he was staying at Kansas for his junior year.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody here is mentioning Jeff Green.

Joe
I agree.

I was all about Noah and a few others, but Green is really starting to sound like a great pick for the Suns.

Man, this draft is going to be soo much fun.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Green is way too much like Diaw and Marion.

We will pick #4-6 or not at all, Green is not an option unless maybe in the unlikely event we pick #6.

At #4 and #5 we will chose between Horford, Wright and Noah basically.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

We will pick #4-6 or not at all, Green is not an option unless maybe in the unlikely event we pick #6.

Do you have some sort of inside knowledge you haven't shared with us yet? I'm just not sure how you are so sure you know what they will do.

Jeff Green reminds me a lot of Joe Johnson. The other guy to keep an eye on is Thorton out of Florida State. They may do a lot of stuff like Boris Diaw Shawn Marion. Remember who's doing the drafting, and remember that those guys make big money and the team is going to be in luxury tax land.

Joe

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Noah and horford I like but not wright. I dont think he is leaving UNC.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Green's play a lot but he is nowhere near to Joe Johnson's ballhandling skills and outside-shot.

Thornton is some kind of mix of Shawn Marion and Andres Nocioni.

I think that his upside is higher than Green's. Both will become at leats a fine NBA players, though.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score

I'm trying to figure the similarity in play between Diaw and Marion and I'm drawing a blank. They are very different in style and abilities.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, today Green looked like the bad Boris Diaw. That is he looked like the guy who is afraid to be assertive and go after his own points.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wasn’t impressed at all with Al Horford’s defense tonight. I think this kid is going to be the next Tryus Thomas, a good shot blocking big man, but fundamentally his defense needs work.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Green doesn't seem to me like the Suns' type--they seem to avoid the Big East for the most part, and IMO Green doesn't have quite enough of the skills they're looking for from a swingman. No question he'd be in the mix at #8, though.

From the Suns' perspective, I would think Al Thornton would be more interesting than Green.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Green doesn't seem to me like the Suns' type--they seem to avoid the Big East for the most part, and IMO Green doesn't have quite enough of the skills they're looking for from a swingman. No question he'd be in the mix at #8, though.

From the Suns' perspective, I would think Al Thornton would be more interesting than Green.

I disagree Jeff Green is perfect for the Suns as he does everything D'Antoni loves to see. An athletic combo forward who excels in transition, can finish around the rim, can defend multiple positions, unselfish, smart passer, high bball IQ and a team first player.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
monday's championship game will be a good indication of Al horford defense? is he good is he bad? He had 17 careems vs ucla. Horford has a problem with having good back to back games.

I think Jeff green would be a nice addition to the suns but I dont think he is who they are looking for.

I think Phx is looking at Noah.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
How many Jump shots did you see Joke'm take ?? The guy will be worse than Diaw as he will be wide open from 10 feet and absolutly will not shoot for fear of the arena errupting in laughter. Big deal with the 'energy' label. Like we need another Pass First PF ? Noah does but one thing on the offense, tries to rebound. He does not have a jump hook, anything that resembles a jump shot, and really, limited post moves. But yes, he sure can run, and does play D. I see a Gadzurik label on this kid in a yr.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conley WILL BE in the draft. He's already come out and declared himself for the draft. He will be in the Top 10 in this draft as well. Yes, he's more of a distributer, but head to head, for the Suns, I'd rather have Acie Law. However, neither, will be drafted by the Suns anyways, unless they package the Cavs pick along with some players and possibly their own late pick to move up and get one of them. The Atalanta pick will be used on the best available big (SF, PF, C) that fits their style. Outside of Oden and Durant, my preferences in this category are as follows: Horford, Jianlian, Wright, Noah, Thornton

Actually he did just the opposite, declared he will NOT be in the draft.

But anything said in March can be taken with a grain of salt.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it's 50-50 if Conley will declare. He has a fantastic tournament but also a lot to learn.
Conley's defense, penetration and lack of range on his outside J are very similar to Devin Harris' but Conley seems to be a better future distributor.

Law is more of a classical PG (ala Billups) than Barbosa, but he is probably too low for the ATL pick and too high for the other two 1st rounders.

Concerning Green is not being Suns type of player, well, we are talking about Georgetown's patient Princeton-offense which is very tough for someone who wants to put up fantastic stats.
I think that Green would have no problem to adapt to Suns' style but how servicable addition would he be, that's another question.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I liked the You tube I saw from Yi, he plays a lot more fluid than any other Chinese player I have ever seen. Almost small for 7-0.

With that second pick I hope Fernandez falls.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
those videos are misleading because it doesnt show you the player in totality.

Yi is intriging but the phx suns are dumb if they draft him. the thing is atlanta is tanking right now and chances are they are going to get top 3.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
the thing is atlanta is tanking right now and chances are they are going to get top 3.
Only if the lottery balls play out exactly according to percentage, however more often than not, at least one team jumps ahead and bumps the #3 team down one place, which is exactly what the Suns want.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
for the second round the suns should pick a sleeper(Shawn marion was a sleeper). its a win-win situation.

second round players dnt need guaranteed contracts.

here are some according to nbadraft.net
http://nbadraft.net/maurer004.asp

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shawn was not widely known, but hardly a sleeper. He was taken 9th in the 1999 draft. Drafting Shawn was considered controversial only because most people expected them to take Corey Maggette.

Overall, the 1999 draft was pretty good one.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Elton Brand 6-8 260 PF Duke So.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steve Francis 6-3 194 SG Maryland Jr. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Baron Davis 6-2 190 PG UCLA So.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lamar Odom 6-10 220 SF Rhode Island Fr.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5 T[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jonathan Bender 6-11 210 SG Picayune (MS) H.S[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wally Szczerbiak 6-8 243 SF Miami OH Sr. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Richard Hamilton 6-6 185 SF Connecticutt Jr. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Andre Miller 6-2 204 PG Utah Sr.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9 Ph[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Shawn Marion 6-7 210 SF UNLV Jr.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10 Atlant[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jason Terry 6-2 172 PG Arizona Sr. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11 Clevel[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Trajan Langdon 6-3 195 SG Duke Sr.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12 T[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Alek Redojevic 7-3 245 C Barton Co. JC (Kan.) So.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Corey Maggette 6-6 220 SG Duke Fr.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]William Avery 6-2 185 PG Duke So. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15 N[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Frederick Weis 7-1 240 C France [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ron Artest 6-7 233 SF St. Johns So.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]James Posey 6-8 210 SF Xavier Sr. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Quincy Lewis 6-7 215 SF Minnesota Sr.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Dion Glover 6-5 235 SG Georgia Tech Fr.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21 G[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif])[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeff Foster PF 6-10 260 SW Texas St.Sr.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kenny Thomas 6-8 255 PF New Mexico Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tim James 6-7 221 SF Miami Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vonteego Cummings 6-5 190 PG Pittsburgh Sr.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jumaine Jones 6-8 210 SF Georgia So.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]28[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Scott Padgett 6-9 240 PF Kentucky Sr. [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]29[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif])[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Leon Smith 6-10 237 PF Martin Luther King High[/FONT]

Of the guys taken ahead of Marion, only Bender was a bust and that was due to injuries.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Atlanta doesn't have exclusive rights to tanking right now so hardly is it a forgone conclusion that they will end up with the third worst record. Thier schedule is somewhat easy except for 2 or 3 games.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Atlanta doesn't have exclusive rights to tanking right now so hardly is it a forgone conclusion that they will end up with the third worst record. Thier schedule is somewhat easy except for 2 or 3 games.

I agree.
The problem with the Atlanta tanking, is that I am sure management thought we will sit JJ and tank the season, they did not count on the rest of their players stepping up like they have. Josh Smith is playing great and others are playing very well.

Hopefully they will win some games and end up 4th in the standings! :thumbup:

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is not clear if there is any real restrictions on tanking. But considering the contractual situation between the Hawks and Suns, I'd have to wonder if the Suns might appeal to Stern if the Hawks succeeded in tanking to number three. The rules against taking actions that are detrimental to the league might easily be found to apply.

It's bad enough that teams will not try in the last game of the season when positioning for the first round matchup; but this would be different. Deliberately tanking for a month would be a huge black eye for the NBA and certainly smacks of bad faith as it applies to the trade provisions. Stern could send a messge by refusing to recognize the top three protection provision if he finds "bad faith" is involved.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is not clear if there is any real restrictions on tanking. But considering the contractual situation between the Hawks and Suns, I'd have to wonder if the Suns might appeal to Stern if the Hawks succeeded in tanking to number three. The rules against taking actions that are detrimental to the league might easily be found to apply.

It's bad enough that teams will not try in the last game of the season when positioning for the first round matchup; but this would be different. Deliberately tanking for a month would be a huge black eye for the NBA and certainly smacks of bad faith as it applies to the trade provisions. Stern could send a messge by refusing to recognize the top three protection provision if he finds "bad faith" is involved.

All that is void because the top three picks arn't certain because of the ping pong balls. Stern believes he already instituted an anti-tank measure by making the top three picks random with the lottery. Not only that but numerous teams could be accused of tanking...you cant punish everybody and tanking is hard to prove as it is....there is always excuses teams can come up with.

Stern is not going to do anything....

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree.
The problem with the Atlanta tanking, is that I am sure management thought we will sit JJ and tank the season, they did not count on the rest of their players stepping up like they have. Josh Smith is playing great and others are playing very well.

Hopefully they will win some games and end up 4th in the standings! :thumbup:

Yeah you're right....The rest of the Hawks team isnt in tank mode as they are trying to win games. Plus as you stated some guys are playing quite well.

My overall point however is that if Atlanta is accused of tanking other teams are tanking as well so that kind of neutralizes Atlanta's tank somewhat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05