Draft Prospects thread

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Marco Belinelli's best case got upgraded (arguably) from a young Brent Barry to Mike Miller. Seeing as I was pulling for the Suns to acquire Barry when the Spurs did and have been duly impressed by Miller's uptempo game I'm thinking he may be a solid pick if he falls to the Cleveland pick and D'A fails to trade up. In fact the DraftExpress mock of Horford and Belinelli is sounding pretty fine at this time.

Sometimes when Raja and JR get streaky I wish for a second, taller LB. Anyone of the European posters see much of the Italian in action? Apparently he's long and athletic and a deadeye shot.

At other times I wish for our own Rip Hamilton mid range type for when the downtown shots are off and Amare isn't passing out of the double team. Having an option like Nick Young would be good.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Belinelli is totally overrated in my opinion. These "shooter" prospects almost never amount into anything.. Jacobsen, Morrison are just a few that come to mind.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Belinelli is totally overrated in my opinion. These "shooter" prospects almost never amount into anything.. Jacobsen, Morrison are just a few that come to mind.
Just because he's white doesn't mean he'll have Jacobsen's liabilities. He's long and athletic from description. Now if you've seen him play and feel that way I'll take it back. Unfortunately I wasn't following basketball closely til the 2003 playoffs so I don't know if people were hyping Jacobsen unrealistically.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He's a pure shooter but nothing else really, long and athletic are definately not adjectives I would use to describe him from the last time I saw him play.

Edit: Nbadraft.net report says the same: "Defensively he may struggle to defend more athletic shooting guards as his lateral quickness is average at best ".

Seems to me most times I read about european prospects being good athletes meaning they can actually dunk in games which Belinelli can.
Casey Jacobsen could do that as well, but nobody would say Casey is even a good athlete because truth is that the biggest difference between NBA/NCAA and European Basketball is the average athleticism of the players.
Btw Casey is the MVP of the german league this year.

Last edited:

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
He's a pure shooter but nothing else really, long and athletic are definately not adjectives I would use to describe him from the last time I saw him play.

Edit: Nbadraft.net report says the same: "Defensively he may struggle to defend more athletic shooting guards as his lateral quickness is average at best ".

Seems to me most times I read about european prospects being good athletes meaning they can actually dunk in games which Belinelli can.
Casey Jacobsen could do that as well, but nobody would say Casey is even a good athlete because truth is that the biggest difference between NBA/NCAA and European Basketball is the average athleticism of the players.
Btw Casey is the MVP of the german league this year.

Wow... a few revelations there. Oh well. He did sound like the best option should D'A fail to trade up again. I don't want the Suns to draft a stiff like Gray or one of the seemingly numerous tweener forwards.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I may be too hard on him because I have some sort of apathy against european prospects I guess best case he could be Manu Ginobili with less athleticism but I think the bust potential on him is pretty high.

Nicholas Batum I really really like, Rudy Fernandez and Marco Belinelli not that much, don't even know who I would prefer Rudy or Marco seems like a wash almost.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Also there are official measurements from hoop summit released.

OJ Mayjo 6'5 in shoes, 6'6 wingspan, 8'4 standing reach
Bayless 6'3 1/2 in shoes, 6'3 wingspan, but ironically the same 8'4 standing reach
Rose 6'3 1/2 in shoes, 6'7 wingspan but just a 8'3 standing reach

And now the most interessting one

Nicholas Batum 6'7 3/4 in shoes, 215lbs, 7' 3/4 wingspan, 8'8 3/4 standing reach

The 18 year old French Center who looked pretty raw has some great physical tools.

Alexis Ajinca
France
7'0.75
207.2 lbs
7'8.75 wingspan
9'4 standing reach

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Batum gets talked up as a potential lock down SF. That isn't half bad. If he has good character and correctable shooting he might be an outstanding pick for mid to late lottery. Man, this is a heady draft almost into the 20s.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OJ Mayjo 6'5 in shoes, 6'6 wingspan, 8'4 standing reach
Bayless 6'3 1/2 in shoes, 6'3 wingspan, but ironically the same 8'4 standing reach
Rose 6'3 1/2 in shoes, 6'7 wingspan but just a 8'3 standing reach

If the measurements are accurate, Bayless must have a very squat head and neck, so that his shoulders are very high on his body. I haven't seen the guy.

mathbzh

Registered
Reaction score
Batum just had another good Game with Le Mans (17 points 7/9 FG 2/4 3Pts 6 Rebounds 2 assists). But he may not be in the draft this year. he said in the Tony Parker radio show that he think 2008 is a more natural draft year for him and that Le Mans wants him to be a team leader next season. However, his performance in the Nike Hoop Summit and the hype around him are making him consider to go in this year.

Last edited:

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The odd thing about the draft is that the Suns seem extremely unlikely to end up with more than two draftees. This means they will either trade up, trade out (get a future pick), or take an international who can be left in Europe for another year.

IMHO, the Atlanta pick has to be an inside guy who can rebound, defende, run with the Suns, and is able to shoot mid range jumpers. The second pick should be a hyper athletic guy who can defend thw perimeter and still shoot.

For the first pick, my order of priority is Horford, Brandan Wright, and Jeff Green (only if they fall to sizth or seventh). I would make a case for Brewer only if they are prepared to do a trade to get a rebounder and Brewer would easily be my first choice for a second pick.

The second pick is a lot harder. I don't like Noah in the early lottery, but he'd be a nice pickup later on. Ditto for Yi Jianlian, Julian right and Nicolas Batum. All are listed as mid lottery types and any miight fall to the mid teens in the right situation. I'm not convinced the Suns can move up that far, but the draft always has a few guys who drop far beyond expactation.

I'd take Conley over Law (better offense but less defense), but right now he's getting top ten consideration. I contend Conley will stay in the draft only if he gets a lottery committment. Since I can't see the Suns being able to move up that early, I think he's out of range. I only saw Law once, so I don't know if he's got the defensie skills to be much help right away. If he drops into the 20's, you take him in a heartbeat but I'd go bigger if the Suns can move into the mid teens.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Man, I like the idea of Batum on the Suns. I am obviously strongly in the "trade Marion" camp, so if we got Batum by trading Marion for a late lottery/starter package, I'd do it. I have to see who is in the late lottery and what starter they can offer along with the pick to make the trade worthwhile....

I'll look at that later....

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here’s a good read on Al Horford and his defense on the block, which I'm a little concerned about. I'm sorry if this has been posted before.
One may just look at the box score and assume this was a very good game for Horford, but a closer look at the game itself brings some very concerning issues to light. While Horford did play a large part in leading his team to victory, mainly with his strong rebounding and weakside presence on the defensive end, he struggled mightily trying to contain Greg Oden in the post. Horford’s post defense has widely been considered one of his greatest strengths, though when you look at this game alongside Randolph Morris’ 18-point game against Horford earlier in the season, it’s not as easy to view it as an aberration, considering these are two of the toughest post players Horford has played against at Florida.
This wasn’t the first time Oden matched up against Horford, as he scored 11 points on him earlier in the season in a 60-88 Ohio State loss. Oden didn’t get much of anything going in the post in that game, but the difference here was that Oden now has the use of both of his hands, and that he’s a less raw offensive player than he was then. Horford gave up points to Oden on the interior on many occasions in this game, most of them coming when Oden simply got better position than Horford did down low, where it would only take one step for him to get close enough to the basket to score on a lay-up or dunk. Horford unsuccessfully tried to front Oden at times, which would usually lead to Horford losing his position when he went back to playing straight up, letting Oden get the inside track. Horford also gave up a hook shot to Oden on one occasion. To Horford’s credit, he did force Oden into one travel in the post, and held his position well one or two times, mainly when he established better position prior to the entry pass, but his post defense was for the most part exposed against the 7’0 monster.

While Horford had trouble keeping Oden from scoring in the post, one area where Horford was not intimidated was on the glass. Horford actually went up to pull down multiple rebounds on both ends of the court, some over Oden and others with him in the direct vicinity. Horford came up with some very clutch rebounds down the stretch, where he fully used his length, athleticism, and timing along with a relentless hustle to help secure the game for his team. Horford did a good job boxing out when near the basket, and tracking down rebounds that flew away from the hoop.

Horford also was a strong presence on the weakside on the defensive end, heavily contesting more than a handful of shots over the course of the game, while also earning two blocks in the official box score, though many would contend there were a few more. Horford showed off his mobility by blocking cutters coming through the lane, as well as by making some post blocks on smaller players who tried to score when he was near the basket. Horford showed off a bit of his versatile perimeter defense for a big man by going step-for-step with Ivan Harris on a drive starting from behind the three-point arc early in the first half, forcing him into a missed shot from the middle of the lane.

On the offensive end, Horford started off the game shooting the ball from mid-range, as he’s grown accustomed to doing over the past few months. He missed an array of shots from 15 to 18 feet early in the game, though hit two of them as the game went on. In the post, Horford had trouble getting things going when matched up with Oden, being blocked on one occasion, in which he dived on the floor to grab the loose ball and recover the possession for his team. Horford did most of his work on the inside when Oden was out of the game, as he went to quick work on the Ohio State reserves when he had the chance, scoring a nice lefty lay-up off the glass on a spin move on one occasion and drawing a foul on another spin move from eight feet out on another. Horford also hit a running 12-foot floater with the shot clock winding down late in the game.

While Horford played well in most areas for his team, and was one of the driving forces leading his team to victory, aside teammate Corey Brewer of course, he was also exposed in one key area that could shake up his NBA draft stock. Because he showed similar issues against another NBA post player in Randolph Morris earlier in the season, this is something NBA teams will look at more closely in making their evaluations. Horford’s normal style of defense in the post is to play with his hands up and by keeping his body in front of his man, forcing them into tough shots. That clearly didn’t work here against Greg Oden, and it’s an adjustment he’s going to have to make at the next level, using more physicality and adding some more strength to his excellent frame to maintain his position down low. There’s a chance this could push him down a few spots in the lottery, but he still has all the defensive tools in the world, excellent basketball IQ, and a great motor, which will allow him to learn to make those adjustments at the next level, should he have the right coaching.
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=415

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm hoping everyone is reading that so Horford doesn't go 3rd.

If all you were looking for was low post defense, rebounding, and low post offense then Roy Hibbert would be the pick. He had more luck against Oden (although he got into foul trouble) than Horford due in part because Hibbert is much bigger. I would not be shocked if Hibbert was taken ahead of Horford if the team making the choice is somebody like the Bobcats rather than a running team.

The part I like about Horford was "Horford came up with some very clutch rebounds down the stretch, where he fully used his length, athleticism, and timing along with a relentless hustle to help secure the game for his team. Horford did a good job boxing out when near the basket, and tracking down rebounds that flew away from the hoop."

sunsfn

Reaction score
We can all read NBADRAFT and Draftexpress, and I though you may want to see the top 30 from Chad Ford. He lists his top 100.

Remember, he rates the top players, wether they are coming out or not.
I do not think Buddinger is coming out. Brook Lopez is staying in school.

He says he gets most of his info from GM's.
-----------------------------------------

He has moved Horford ahead of Wright.

I am wondering what the suns think about Yi Jianlian.
On highlights he looks like he would be great for the suns, but it is hard to tell with the foreign players what the suns think.

I think he has Noah too high?

-----------------------------------------------------------
2007 NBA Draft Prospects Ranking (1 to 100)
View Prospects By:Top 100 | Name | Position | School/Country

RANK NAME POS HT WT AGE SCHOOL/COUNTRY PROJECTION
1Greg OdenC7-024519Ohio StateTop 2The consensus No. 1 pick in the draft despite Kevin Durant's amazing season. Draws comparisons..
2Kevin DurantSF6-1019018TexasTop 2Some scouts are calling him a mixture of Kevin Garnett and Dirk Nowitzki. Others say..
3Al HorfordPF6-923520FloridaTop 10Horford has the body and skill set needed to play in the NBA right away...
4Brandan WrightPF6-1021019North CarolinaTop 10On potential, he has the chance to be a NBA All-Star. And so far he's..
5Joakim NoahPF6-1123022FloridaTop 10Noah capped an amazing NCAA tournament in 2006 with a near-perfect championship game --
6Yi JianlianPF7-023019ChinaTop 10Yi is the best Chinese prospect to come to the NBA since Yao. He has..
7Julian WrightSF6-922019KansasTop 10Wright may be the most versatile player in the draft. He can guard and play...
8Mike ConleyPG6-017019Ohio StateReturning to schoolConley's quickly asserting himself as the best young college point guard in the country. His...
9Corey BrewerSG6-818521FloridaLotteryAn excellent NCAA tournament this season helped Brewer's stock perhaps more than anyone else. He..
10Jeff GreenSF6-822520GeorgetownLotteryScouts love his versatility and all-around game. But he doesn't really have one standout skill...
11Spencer HawesC7-023018WashingtonLotteryHawes doesn't have the athletic upside of many of the top prospects in the draft,...
12Roy HibbertC7-226520GeorgetownLottery He's been all over the boards with scouts over the past few years. They love..
13Ty LawsonPG6-019019North CarolinaReturning to schoolLawson hasn't put up the best numbers, but some scouts feel he has the most...
14Acie LawPG6-318522Texas A&MLottery to mid first roundLaw has quietly developed into one of the top point guards in the country. His...
15Al ThorntonSF6-721023Florida StateLottery to mid first roundA few big games against Florida and North Carolina this season have given him some...
16Brook LopezC7-024519StanfordReturning to schoolBrook's stellar play toward the end of the seaon turned a lot of NBA scouts'...
17Thaddeus YoungSF6-821018Georgia TechLottery to mid first roundYoung is another big-time prospect whose upside is only limited by questions about position and...
18Nicolas BatumSF6-821018FranceMid to late first roundA few international scouts believe he's the best international prospect in the draft -- ahead...
19Chase BudingerSG6-719019ArizonaLottery to mid first roundBudinger is having a great freshman season at Arizona and has quickly asserted himself as...
20Nick YoungSG6-620021USCMid to late first roundYoung has the potential to be a lottery pick with his skills. But scouts are...
21Tiago SplitterPF7-024022BrazilMid to late first roundHis stock was hurt in previous drafts over serious questions about whether an NBA team...
22Josh McRobertsPF6-1023020DukeMid to late first roundMcRoberts had a chance to be a Top 10 pick in the 2006 NBA Draft...
23Brandon RushSG6-720521KansasMid to late first roundThe Big 12 freshman of the year was stellar last season, but he's taken a...
24Javaris CrittentonPG6-518019Georgia TechMid to late first roundMost big point guards are really two guards with some ball handling skills. Not Crittenton....
25Darrell ArthurPF6-1021519KansasMid to late first roundShocked just about everyone coming out of the gate and leading a very talented KU...
26Daequan CookSG6-521019Ohio StateLate first ro early secondCook came on strong at the start of the season, but has taken a back...
27Tyler HansbroughPF6-922521North CarolinaReturning to schoolHansbrough was projected by NBA scouts as a late lottery to mid first round pick...
28D. J. AugustinPG5-1118019TexasReturning to schoolHe's been one of the two or three best freshmen point guards in the country....
29Ante Tomic C7-223720CroatiaMid to late first roundTomic is big-time prospect. He has a rare combination of size, skill and athletic ability....
30Rodney StuckeySG6-420520Eastern Wash.Mid to late first roundHe's considered a serious draft sleeper by some NBA scouts who think he has legit..

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We can all read NBADRAFT and Draftexpress, and I though you may want to see the top 30 from Chad Ford. He lists his top 100.

Remember, he rates the top players, wether they are coming out or not.
I do not think Buddinger is coming out. Brook Lopez is staying in school.

He says he gets most of his info from GM's.
-----------------------------------------

He has moved Horford ahead of Wright.

This MAY turn into a Howard versus Okafor type debate. Howard had much more upside while Okafor was more NBA ready. The next result was never really tested because Okafor has not been healthy as much as one would like; still Howard clearly lived up to the hype about his potential.

I am wondering what the suns think about Yi Jianlian.
On highlights he looks like he would be great for the suns, but it is hard to tell with the foreign players what the suns think.

I think he has Noah too high?

I think is certain Noah will drop unless he has some exceptional workouts.

I hate prospects like Yi. Due to weak opposition, you are forced to evaluate him entirely on workouts. If workouts mattered, Lampe would be an all star.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I hate prospects like Yi. Due to weak opposition, you are forced to evaluate him entirely on workouts. If workouts mattered, Lampe would be an all star.

Which strong opposition did Amare play against before entering the draft again? And didn't Yao face the same weak opposition as Yi did? I must have a short memory.;)

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Real GM's Mock

I am always more interested in the reasoning than the actual ranking.

http://www.realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/116/20070416/the_first_realgm_2007_mock_draft/

The First RealGM 2007 Mock Draft
Authored by Christopher Reina - 16th April, 2007 - 8:13 pm
You must be registered for see images attach

Current Featured ColumnsThe Return Of The NCAA Big Man Between Roy Hibbert, Al Horford and Greg Oden, college basketball saw great big men playing into late March and while it wasn't the maddest tourney in history, the quality of play was very high.
Robert Kornhauser. 11th April, 2007.

Turning Point There are some legitimate questions facing both legitimate contenders and floundering bottom-feeders, including the Spurs, Pistons, Wolves and Hawks.
Matthew Gordon. 23rd March, 2007.

RealGM Search Search:
You must be registered for see images

With the lottery a few weeks away, we have created our first mock draft for 2007. We will be delivering updated mocks every other Monday until June when they will be arriving weekly.

1. Greg Oden, Ohio State, Center, Freshman:

With a low-post game that is far more developed than many were expecting, the team that wins the lottery will be receiving far more than Oden’s preternatural gift for shot blocking. I believe Oden’s basement for production arrives approximately where Dwight Howard’s ceiling hangs. While both are physical anomalies, Oden’s size and shape is perfectly suited for the center position, particularly on offense than Howard’s extremely broad shoulders.

It is unlikely Oden will ever average more than 25 points per game (Duncan’s career high is 25.5 ppg in 2001-2002), but like Duncan, he has the potential to become a low-post player that can average better than three assists per game.

2. Kevin Durant, Texas, Small Forward, Freshman:

Reviewing past drafts, I arrived on Len Bias in the 1986 draft to see a comparable player to Durant in both basketball purity and physical upside. The only player that can come between Durant and Bias is Grant Hill out of the 1994 draft.

If a GM decided to take Durant ahead of Oden, that GM must have the opinion that Durant will become a top-five player of all-time, in the category of a Michael Jordan or Oscar Robertson. Becoming a Kevin Garnett will not be enough in my estimation to pass on a center of Oden’s caliber.

3. Brandan Wright, North Carolina, Power Forward, Freshman

Wright hasn’t announced whether he will remain at Chapel Hill or enter the NBA draft and I expect him to stay in school, but until he does make an announcement Wright is clearly the third best prospect.

Remaining a Tar Heel could result in a national championship and then dueling it out with Michael Beasley for the top spot in the 2008 draft.

4. Roy Hibbert, Georgetown, Center, Junior:

Hibbert’s 19 and 6 against Ohio State in the semifinal game, along with double-doubles in each of the previous six games, have cemented him in the top-eight. Hibbert’s stock was certain to rise after the season when the lure of his size would loom larger than the impressive statistical achievements of low ceiling players.

5. Al Horford, Florida, Power Forward, Junior:

Shelden Williams was the fifth pick last season and the only thing that really separates him from Horford is that his girlfriend is a better ballplayer than he is. Their upside is limited, but you will be able to count on them to provide steady contributions in the frontcourt where you can never have enough talent on your roster at that spot.

6. Mike Conley, Jr., Ohio State, Point Guard, Freshman

I’m not quite convinced of Conley’s perimeter shot and there are always durability questions for a player as small and slight as he is, but his ability to penetrate and stay completely calm, regardless of the situation, cannot be taught.

7. Jeff Green, Georgetown, Small Forward, Junior:

His disappearing act in the Final Four was surprising and disappointing, but he is a solid 6-9 with a much more polished offensive game than Julian Wright. He shot 51% from the field and 37% from 3-point territory. Green also scored in double-figures in 17 of his final 19 college games.

8. Yi Jianlian, China, Power Forward:

The comparisons to Yao Ming will come but his game is much more similar to a Dirk Nowitzki on the high-end or Donyell Marshall on the lower middle-end. He has a surprisingly high amount of flair and agility to his game. There was little doubt that Yao’s game would simply have to convert to the NBA level, so while we have a fairly educated idea how the Euros will fare, there is still a learning curve on players from the Far East.

9. Corey Brewer, Florida, Small Forward, Junior:

Brewer significantly improved his stock with a MOP in the 2007 NCAA Tournament, but I expect him to be picked up here as teams lean towards positional upside ahead of him.

He has game-changing swagger and also has a perimeter shot that should put him in the top-ten at his position, not to mention plastic man athleticism.

10. Thaddeus Young, Georgia Tech, Small Forward, Freshman:

Young still has the potential to shoot up draft boards and become a top-five pick, but for now he is right on the top-ten bubble. Like most freshmen, Young played through periods of inconsistency, but the 30 points he dropped on Wake Forest in the ACC Tournament and the 25 he had in Georgia Tech’s late season win against UNC just shows you that he indeed has top-five pick abilities.

11. Julian Wright, Kansas, Small Forward, Sophomore:

Wright will surely become an effective NBA player, but as Ben Rubin pointed out on April 11th, when was the last time a small forward who can’t shoot from the perimeter became a top player at his position?

There is little doubt that he will become a contributing player, but probably in the Jarvis Hayes level, also a 10th overall pick.

12. Al Thornton, Florida State, Small Forward, Senior:

It is pretty rare to see a player of Thornton’s athletic abilities become a fifth-year senior, but could instantly help out a team that narrowly missed out on the playoffs. Thornton’s 19.7 and 7.2 capped off a career at Florida State, which saw him, make great strides as an all-round player.

13. Joakim Noah, Florida, Power Forward, Junior:

Noah holds some very unique gifts for a player of his size and he could thrive in the right situation, but many GMs hold serious reservations. His points and blocks per game both dipped in his junior season and his lack of offensive production over the final 10 games of the season is a little scary. Getting a player like Noah at 12 would be a great steal, but if a team picked him in the top-six, his bust potential is extremely high.

14. Spencer Hawes, Washington, Center, Freshman:

Hawes has an extremely polished low post game for a player of his age and unlike Aaron Gray there is a lot of room for growth, which should allow him to be snagged in the lottery.

15. Nicolas Batum, Le Mans Sarthe Basket, Small Forward:

Batum is very young and raw but has shown great abilities for a player of his size. He will be one of the most complete players in the league and could exceed a Mike Dunleavy in terms of NBA effectiveness. He is likely quicker but I see his athleticism coming in much closer to Dunleavy than a Tracy McGrady.

16. Rudy Fernandez, DKV Joventut, Shooting Guard:

Watching clips of Rudy Fernandez is extremely entertaining because his athleticism is stunning. He has nice form on his outside shot and has a cocky demeanor that will endure him to the fans of where ever he lands. He obviously will not even tough Kobe Bryant’s class, but you can’t help but watch some of his spin moves and think of him. His upper body needs work, but when it arrives, you will be looking at the steal of the draft.

17. Acie Law IV, Texas A&M, Point Guard, Senior:

I can’t help put pigeonholed Law into the Juan Dixon category as a four-year college player who has reached his potential and does not have the size or athleticism to become a great player. He can be a very useful player and would be an excellent back-up point guard for most teams.

18. Tiago Splitter, Tau Vitoria, Power Forward:

Splitter has a well-rounded game, but doesn’t possess enough agility or athleticism to make him an elite player and is likely looking at a Žarko Čabarkapa type of existence in the NBA.

19. Josh McRoberts, Duke, Power Forward, Sophomore:

McRoberts decision to leave Duke was perhaps the most surprising. McRoberts could have stayed at Duke and enjoyed a bounce back season which would have lifted his value but instead will be drafted in the second half of the first round. He has the ability to do a lot of the things that has made Rasheed Wallace a great NBA player, but it is unlikely that he becomes half as good.

20. Aaron Gray, Pittsburgh, Center, Senior:

This draft is certainly deeper and better than last year but let’s not forget that Patrick O’Bryant was a lottery pick. What is concerning about a player like Gray is that the majority of his potential has already been reached.

21. Nick Young: USC, Shooting Guard, Junior:

Young is a steady scorer and average athlete who is unlikely to have the kind of success in the pro game as he has with the Trojans. He has the ability to be a very good defender and will likely become a Greg Buckner-plus kind of player.

22. Marco Belinelli, Climamio Bologna, Shooting Guard:

Like Fernandez, Belinelli has explosive hops and is pure on offense, both with and without the ball. He has the kind of upside that could make him an NBA All-Star, something that is rare to find from a player drafted in the 20’s.

23. Marc Gasol. Akasvayu Girona, Center:

Gasol comes over to the United States with a great pedigree and a 7-1 frame. He is not nearly as well-rounded of a ballplayer as Pau and is also less athletic, but in a league desperate for low-post scoring, he is worth a shot.

24. Alando Tucker, Wisconsin, Small Forward, Senior:

Like P.J. Tucker, Alando is another player who was great on the NCAA level and doesn’t possess the God-given gifts to become more than good in the NBA. Tucker will be able to contribute immediately, leading the team that selects him to believe that they have found a late first round steal, but what he gives you in year four will be nearly identical.

25. Arron Affalo, UCLA, Shooting Guard, Junior:

The book on Affalo is nearly identical to Tucker. He is less likely to be an effective rotation player, but also could become a more effective player, given the fact that he has a more polished all-around game and a more athletic body.

26. Derrick Byars, Vanderbilt, Small Forward, Senior:

Byars is an older senior as he was a transfer from Virginia and like so many of the players I project to be drafted in the 20’s, he is ready to contribute immediately. Despite being the SEC player of the year, he remains a relative unknown commodity outside the conference, but he is a very good scorer and will not be hindered in the NBA by being undersized or not finding a proper position.

27. Brandon Rush, Kansas, Shooting Guard Sophomore:

Rush arrived in Lawrence with a great pedigree and while he has become an effective member of very good Jawhawk teams, he has failed to live up to expectations. You watch him play and expect him to be on the verge of really busting out, but he cannot sustain it and if he does come out this season, it will be out of a fear of seeing the first round slip away from becoming even more exposed.

28. Marcus Williams, Arizona, Shooting Guard, Sophomore:

Williams has Rip Hamilton athleticism and abilities, but there are very real doubts as to whether he has half as much professionalism and the desire to improve. He has lottery pick ability, which is something that is difficult to not trounce on at this stage in the draft. If Williams joins a veteran club, he could very easily become a Josh Howard type of steal.

29. Ron Lewis, Ohio State, Shooting Guard, Senior:

Lewis’ athleticism is far better than people give him credit for and as witnessed by his shooting performance versus Xavier, his range is NBA deep. With a shortage of good perimeter shooters, Lewis is very worthy of a late first round pick.

30. Gabe Pruitt, USC, Point Guard, Junior:

Pruitt can see his stock rise considerably between now and June because of the extreme dearth of point guards in this season’s draft. He has demonstrated a very keen ability to distribute and can also score like a shooting guard.

Positional Breakdown

Point Guard
Mike Conley, Jr.
Acie Law IV
Gabe Pruitt

Shooting Guard
Rudy Fernandez
Nick Young
Marco Belinelli
Arron Affalo
Brandon Rush
Marcus Williams
Ron Lewis

Small Forward
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Corey Brewer
Thaddeus Young
Julian Wright
Al Thornton
Nicolas Batum
Alando Tucker
Derrick Byars

Power Forward
Brandan Wright
Al Horford
Yi Jianlian
Joakim Noah
Tiago Splitter
Josh McRoberts

Center
Greg Oden
Roy Hibbert
Spencer Hawes
Aaron Gray
Marc Gasol

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't think its unreasonable to think the Suns could end up w/ Al Horford and Acie Law, and if thats the case, I think I'll lose my mind I'd be so happy. Horford could be a great frontcourt team mate for Amare for years to come, helping keep Amare out of foul trouble, and being basically a younger version of KT.

Acie Law could drop, but probably not all the way down to the Cavs pick, so I think the Suns would have to package their two picks to move up and grab someone like him. The only problem with that is, I think it seems more likely the Suns would just sell the picks than do something creative/risky like move up.

I'm not as keen on the Suns taking a shooting guard as I think some people are. Shooting guard is probably the easiest position on the court to fill, and could be addressed in free agency. The Suns should have no trouble attracting a decent shooter to come play in their system.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen Noah play that much. Can someone please tell me what his "unique gifts" are? He seems a bit thin/finesse to me.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going go ahead and say it. Corey Brewer to the Suns at 4 or 5. Lock down defender at the wing. Good and getting better shooter. Athletic and long.

I know the board is fixated on a big guy, but he might be the best player at 4 or 5.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I'm going go ahead and say it. Corey Brewer to the Suns at 4 or 5. Lock down defender at the wing. Good and getting better shooter. Athletic and long.

I know the board is fixated on a big guy, but he might be the best player at 4 or 5.

You could be right. The suns may think that they will still take the best player available and if they think Brewer is that guy they may take him.

The only problem is that if the suns do want a big they have to draft him at #24, move up somehow, or trade someone for him. They are not going to sign a free agent without getting rid of some salary someplace. Maybe they will try to trade Banks and the 29th pick for a big man, although that is hard to do.

The 29th pick for a big is not the problem, Banks is the problem. You have to find someone that wants him. (Minnesota?)
There are teams that need a pg and some need a pg and a backup pg, so they might find someone to take him and then go a three team trade.

HEY! We could trade Banks to the Clips for Tim Thomas, they are going to need a pg next year. Sam is too old and Livingston will not be ready until later in the year. :)

HooverDam

Reaction score
I don't think Banks is as untradeable as everyone thinks, sure he hasn't worked out here, but he's still young, he's fast, and he can defend. He'd probably do alright in an overly structured, half court offense. Send him to a team w/ a coach like Jeff Van Gundy of Phil Jackson and Im sure he'd do better.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The draft is going to be so much fun this year, by position the prospect that seem to fit in the Suns game so far imo

C/F Brandan Wright (3-7) / Joakim Noah*(3-12) / Marc Gasol (20-35)** / Tiago Splitter (20-35) / Sean Williams***(31-60)
PF Al Horford (3-6)
F Al Thornton (8-17)
SF Corey Brewer (6-13) / Julian Wright (6-13) / Nicholas Batum (10-15) / Thaddeus Young (15-25) / Wilson Chandler (30-40)
SG Nick Young (15-25) / Brandon Rush (20-35) / Daequan Cook (20-35)***** /Morris Almond (25-40) / Marcus Williams****(20-40) / Marco Belinelli (15-35) / Rudy Fernandez (15-35)
PG Mike Conley (3-10) / Dominic James (25-40) / Mustafa Shakur****** (31-60)

* lacks skills imo
** not a good athlete at all
*** offcourt issues, got kicked out of Boston College because of too much pot smoking and stuff, strictly defensive player
**** seems to lack fire, not the greatest athlete
*****will have to measure taller than 6'4 and have some good workouts
****** at the end of the 2nd round, I don't think there are many PG prospects that would do better than him on the Suns, he can run and distribute potentially a decent backup to have

PS: I might hop onto the Conley at #4 bandwagon if there is one, especially if Brandan Wright is picked 3rd.

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sean Williams at the start of this season showed definitely more than just being a strictly defensive player. He wasn't hopeless in offense either.

I seriously think that he could have developed to a better offensive version of Theo Ratliff.

Last edited: