Draft Prospects thread

Errntknght

Reaction score
This year I've been impressed by the board work of a number of young guys that didn't arrive with much fanfare - Paul Milsap (Utah), Craig Smith (Mil?), Chuck Hayes (Houston). They aren't great athletes but they have good strength, which is just the kind of rebounder the Suns don't have and need badly. None of them were first round picks which means the Suns could probably have gotten them if they'd wanted them. Balkman might have fit this mold from what I've read, but Isaiah Thomas screwed up and picked him early. David Lee was another of this type though the Suns had to cough up the pick that we might have used on him...

Do you draftaholics see any guys of that type in this years draft crop?

Yeah, I realize the big problem for us is that our GM wouldn't dream of drafting such a player, assuming he was astute enough to recognize him...

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shakur might be available at the end of the second round. He has a lot more talent than his productivity has shown and IMHO would be worth a late second gamble.

Due to contract issues, Splitter may drop to the late 20's. I'd use the 29 on him and leave him in Europe.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This year I've been impressed by the board work of a number of young guys that didn't arrive with much fanfare - Paul Milsap (Utah), Craig Smith (Mil?), Chuck Hayes (Houston). They aren't great athletes but they have good strength, which is just the kind of rebounder the Suns don't have and need badly. None of them were first round picks which means the Suns could probably have gotten them if they'd wanted them. Balkman might have fit this mold from what I've read, but Isaiah Thomas screwed up and picked him early. David Lee was another of this type though the Suns had to cough up the pick that we might have used on him...

Do you draftaholics see any guys of that type in this years draft crop?

Not really. Jared Dudley is the only one who I can think of as a late 1st rounder steal but he is a good all-around hustle player with limited athleticism ala Brian Cardinal so he isn't a rebounder either.

BTW, I thought that Craig Smith is worth a late 1st rounder, I haven't seen enough the other abovementioned players to judge them correctly.

Last edited:

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Due to contract issues, Splitter may drop to the late 20's. I'd use the 29 on him and leave him in Europe.

If Splitter was there at 24 the Suns would have no possible excuse or reason not to take him.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Corey Brewer would be late lottery had there been different matchups in the NCAA final four this year. I'm not impressed with his shooting or handle, and he needs to gain quite a bit of weight.

IMO the BPA candidates at #5 are all big men--Horford, Noah, Yi (and possibly Batum, who's way outside of the Suns' desired profile). If the Suns are going to reach for a SF, they're better off trading back into the late lottery for Al Thornton, Nick Young or Rudy Fernandez.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Corey Brewer would be late lottery had there been different matchups in the NCAA final four this year. I'm not impressed with his shooting or handle, and he needs to gain quite a bit of weight.

IMO the BPA candidates at #5 are all big men--Horford, Noah, Yi (and possibly Batum, who's way outside of the Suns' desired profile). If the Suns are going to reach for a SF, they're better off trading back into the late lottery for Al Thornton, Nick Young or Rudy Fernandez.

Agree. And if Conley and Brewer's stocks go higher, we might want to move down to 6-8 range and still get one of Noah and Yi.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Shakur might be available at the end of the second round. He has a lot more talent than his productivity has shown and IMHO would be worth a late second gamble.

I am sure I read that his contract issues are over?
They were still there last year, but now his contract is up IIRC.

It may also be that he has one year left and the team will let him out of his contract a lot cheaper than last year, or stand to lose him next year for nothing. They could get a few 100,000 by letting him out this year if that is the case, but not the massive money they wanted before.

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
I am sure I read that his contract issues are over?
They were still there last year, but now his contract is up IIRC.

It may also be that he has one year left and the team will let him out of his contract a lot cheaper than last year, or stand to lose him next year for nothing. They could get a few 100,000 by letting him out this year if that is the case, but not the massive money they wanted before.

Yep - Splitter has one more year on his contract so his issuies are not over yet. There is a very good possibility, that he will stay in Europe for one more year.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep - Splitter has one more year on his contract so his issuies are not over yet. There is a very good possibility, that he will stay in Europe for one more year.

That's my understanding. A buyout is not totally out of the question, but probably more than a late first round pick can support.

The case for Splitter is that he can run, rebound, play defense, and is good in the low post. He's not ideal in that he no longer seems to shoot well from the outside (though some of that is due to the way his team wants him to play). Free and clear he'd be a lottery pick, though probably no better than 10-15.

I could be wrong, but it appears his main problem is his contract and concerns about his willingness to come to the NBA. In a relatively deep draft, most teams would rather get someone who can play now rather than gamble on someone who might not even play.

The Suns situation is different. Assuming they don't use them to move up, it seems unlikely they would look to add three rookies this season. Drafting Splitter would be like trading for a future first round pick. In my view, he would be a great pick at #29, but there are a lot of nice players at #24 I think might actually be able to help next season.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Please explain why Batum isn't what the Suns are looking for.

Batum is an SF. The Suns primary need is someone who can guard the low post, provide interior defense, rebound, and still have enough range on his shot to keep from clogging the middle.

Batum is 6'8" 210 and he's 18 years old. None of the reports I've read see him moving inside, so he just doesn't solve the Suns primary problems.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, when healthy, the single biggest weakness of the Suns is a lack of back court size. It is the place on the floor where the Suns are most consistantly are mismatched. (And I mean mismatched because of personel not scheme.)

Anyone that watched the Warriors last night saw how devestating their size advantages on the wing were. We've seen it with the Suns too in the playoffs. Stackhouse repeatedly posting Barbosa etc. Teams with big PGs and wings creating problems for the Suns.

While a young big guy would be nice, I really think a big wing that can defend multiple positions is a huge need. The Suns tried very hard to trade up for Thabo last draft and attempted to sign Salmons. It seems they think it is a need too.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Please explain why Batum isn't what the Suns are looking for.
Batum is 18 and not especially polished--he's a couple of years away from helping any NBA team. The Suns hate to take guys who can't contribute right away and try to build them up--they'd much rather pick guys who can help immediately (and build them up).

Also, Batum isn't a pure shooter, and the first thing the Suns need in a SF is the ability to consistently make open perimeter shots. Not that they don't need all-around skills, too, but those all-around skills aren't worth much if the player can't knock down open shots as well.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor has Luc Richard Mbah A Moute considering declaring without an agent which makes no sense to me given he had a very down injury plagued year and is scheduled to visit Cameroon this summer. Working out for NBA teams and declaring would force him to enroll as a part time student and then going home in the summer would wipe out summer school to make up the classes.

Nobody seems to think he would actually stay in the draft so I don't see the point in wasting your free test the waters option?

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
when is the lottery????

Key Dates
May 22: NBA Draft Lottery
May 29: NBA Pre-Draft Camp begins
June 18: Deadline for early entrants to withdraw

NBA Draft - Vital Information
What: 2007 NBA Draft
When: June 28, 2007
Where: Madison Square Garden, NY
Rounds: Two rounds

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just had ESPN on and the ticker said Brandon Wright is, not surprisingly, declaring for the draft. He is not expected to sign an agent so he could always pull out, but I'm sure he won't if the mocks are correct.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had ESPN on and the ticker said Brandon Wright is, not surprisingly, declaring for the draft. He is not expected to sign an agent so he could always pull out, but I'm sure he won't if the mocks are correct.

Yep a very poorly kept secret because rumors swirled weeks ago that either Stepheson or Thompson wanted to transfer out and decided not to after being told that Wright was leaving and they'd be competing for starting minutes next year.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
From that article:
Phoenix is ranked last in the league in free throw attempts per game, and Noah’s fearless style of play could certainly provide an energy boost for the team that seemingly already has it all. Other players that Phoenix is reportedly very high on are Corey Brewer and Al Thornton.
Ha! I knew it! :p

If the Suns could get Noah and Thornton, there's your draft...highly unlikely they'll be able to do so, of course.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In my opinion, when healthy, the single biggest weakness of the Suns is a lack of back court size. It is the place on the floor where the Suns are most consistantly are mismatched. (And I mean mismatched because of personel not scheme.)

Anyone that watched the Warriors last night saw how devestating their size advantages on the wing were. We've seen it with the Suns too in the playoffs. Stackhouse repeatedly posting Barbosa etc. Teams with big PGs and wings creating problems for the Suns.

While a young big guy would be nice, I really think a big wing that can defend multiple positions is a huge need. The Suns tried very hard to trade up for Thabo last draft and attempted to sign Salmons. It seems they think it is a need too.

Interesting. Last summer when everyone was crying for a center or a backup pg, the Suns were targeting Salmons in free agency and Thabo in the draft. They didn't get either of them, and took Banks as a consolation.

Is it possible that they also recognize this need, and long before people on the boards noticed it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From that article:

Ha! I knew it! :p

If the Suns could get Noah and Thornton, there's your draft...highly unlikely they'll be able to do so, of course.

Its possible. Quite possible in fact.

Let say the Suns end up with #5. And let's say Noah goes #11 and Thornton #13 (as NBADRAFT.net projects)

Trade #5 for #11 and a pick or player. Draft Noah #11
Trade #24, #29, and the pick or player for #13. Draft Thornton #13.

If it takes a little more, JR would be available as incentive to make it all work. In fact, I think we could move Banks as part of it all.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know I'm not the only person on this board that is skeptical of Noah (I wrote the author of the article of why I think Horford is a good fit and Noah isn't). The quick overview is that Horford can shoot and play post defense while Noah can't.

In another thread, I made the case for using the Cleveland pick for big perimeter defender when I suggested Derrick Byars of Vanderbilt
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89389. I'd like at least one more wing defender for depth if not a long term replacement for Raja as he gets older.

However, on a Suns team which gets killed on the boards with a rebound differential of -2.34; I remain convinced that getting a physical inside guy has to be the Suns priority.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am still 100% sure we won't pick Noah. He is skinny, he is not polished, he can't shoot he doesn't fit well next to Amare. Brandan Wright or Al Horford will be both so much better, Noah also seems immature.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05