Draft Prospects thread

sunsfn

Reaction score
I agree about Horford and Wright, but if the Suns drop to 6, I'd look for them to trade down rather than reach for Noah. I expect him to go in the late lottery.

I'm not 100% sold on Brandan Wright, but the consensus of the writers I seen consider him a solid impact guy with enormous potential. For lottery teams, Wright is obviously the pick. For the Suns, Horford makes more sense because he's more NBA ready although his upside is not as great.

There is a chance that someone like Yi or Hibbert might get taken ahead of Horford, depending on how they test out. I don't particularly like them for the Suns. Yi is considered "soft" and Hibbert slow; but they are a very good prospects and might get taken higher than Horford.

Unless the suns make a trade I agree with the thought that Horford is right for them with the ready to play in the NBA ability he has. D'Antoni has a team that is going to compete for a title for the next couple years and he does not like rookies.

The suns may trade down if they are at #6, but I can tell you that Noah is not a reach at 6-8 at all. I firmly believe that he will go in that area. Some of the writers are dropping him and saying that they are hearing this, but the guy really can play.

And, I think Noah is made for the suns way of playing. He can run the floor better than any big in the draft, and is very aggresive on defense and rebounding, and he can make his free throws when he is fouled in the paint. His offense has to improve and will.

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Noah could become an athletic Collison, so I would not object to picking him even if we had #4. However, my preferrence is Horford first. Actually, my preferrence is Marion/#4 for Durant, but you know what I mean....

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If the Suns take Horford, then they really are looking to get rid of Amare.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree about Horford and Wright, but if the Suns drop to 6, I'd look for them to trade down rather than reach for Noah. I expect him to go in the late lottery.

I'm not 100% sold on Brandan Wright, but the consensus of the writers I seen consider him a solid impact guy with enormous potential. For lottery teams, Wright is obviously the pick. For the Suns, Horford makes more sense because he's more NBA ready although his upside is not as great.

There is a chance that someone like Yi or Hibbert might get taken ahead of Horford, depending on how they test out. I don't particularly like them for the Suns. Yi is considered "soft" and Hibbert slow; but they are a very good prospects and might get taken higher than Horford.

one more time - do you actually watch college basketball? To think that Hibbert would possibly go above Horford for any reason is pure stupidity for anyone that's watched the last couple years.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
How the hell do you figure that?!?!?

Man, we could run Nash-Bell-*-Horford-Stoudemire

(I am SOOOOO ready for Marion to be gone for like the 3rd year now!)
Horford doesn't give the Suns anything they need next to Amare--he's not a good defender, he's not versatile, he can't shoot from the perimeter. What he should be able to do is shoot from midrange, score close to the basket, and be a physical presence in the lane...the things Amare already does.

So, if the Suns get Horford, it stands to reason they'll look to move Amare for a complementary piece. Either that or the team's GM will start looking for a new coach. ;)

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
How about this scenario:

The suns, picking at say 4/5, trade down with chicago for thabo and the 9th pick where they could take Noah if he drops.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about this scenario:

The suns, picking at say 4/5, trade down with chicago for thabo and the 9th pick where they could take Noah if he drops.

I wouldn't have a problem with something like that, if the Suns are intent on taking Noah. It would be like trading a 16th pick (or whatever Thabo was) and a ~9th for a 4th. Maybe a tad pricy on the Bulls side, but who would they want that high? I suppose Horford/Wright for an inside scoring presence, since that's the only thing they seem to be missing. I think they would be looking for a more immediate impact player though. Or maybe they would really like Brewer over Sefalosha and don't want what they could find around 9. If I were Paxson, I would probably be happy with a guy like Yi to add some versatility to the bench.

DevilsFan

Reaction score
Brewer's stock is very high right now because he played so well in the tournament.

You mean like how Noah's stock was so high after last year's tournament? Now everybody talks about him like he's a dog (I personally don't believe that at all).

Everything everyone is saying about Brewer was said about Augmon when he came out, including that they are both streaky scorers. If anything, Augmon was much more highly regarded than Brewer is now.

If the choice is between Noah and Brewer, I'd take Noah every time. He's exactly what the Suns need - a strong defensive player who can guard 4s and 5s, run the floor, pass the ball, and is an excellent ballhandler to boot. So what if he can't shoot? The Suns don't need another scorer. So what if he needs to bulk up? Every big man in the draft except Oden and Horford need to bulk up too. I don't understand why Noah's star has fallen so rapidly. People can't remember anything other than what they just saw.

sunsfn

Reaction score
How about this scenario:

Thabo was drafted 13th.

That is an interesting propostion! I would like the suns to have Thabo.

The only thing I do not like is giving Chicago an excellent player. They are a good team right now and if they go from 9th to 4th they will get a starter and they will be very good next year and maybe favored to win the East.

I have been trying to figure a way for the Suns to trade down with Charlotte and pick up another pick or player. Lots of scenerios, but I have not come up with anything that works good yet. 4-5, Banks, ?, for #8 (Noah) and ??.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to trade back and actually draft Mike Conley Jr. and then use our additional picks to trade up and take Al Thorton, we get our pg of the future and an athletic three/four to eventually replace Marion.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
one more time - do you actually watch college basketball? To think that Hibbert would possibly go above Horford for any reason is pure stupidity for anyone that's watched the last couple years.

Hibbert is the only college player who could defend Odem and score 19 on him to boot. At 7'2" 275, he's big, strong, and moves his feet. On teams that need an interior presence, I can see him going early. Considering how high Sene, O'Bryant, and Armstrong went last summer; it is hardly stupid to think that the second biggest player in the draft might go higher than he should.

F-Dog Horford doesn't give the Suns anything they need next to Amare--he's not a good defender, he's not versatile, he can't shoot from the perimeter. What he should be able to do is shoot from midrange, score close to the basket, and be a physical presence in the lane...the things Amare already does.

So, if the Suns get Horford, it stands to reason they'll look to move Amare for a complementary piece. Either that or the team's GM will start looking for a new coach. ;)

I'm curious why you think Horford is not a good defender. If it is because he struggled with Odom, that's fine but then again no one else could stop Odom either.

Horford averaged 9.5 rpg during the season on a team with some great rebounders. He averaged 13.2 ppg without being a primary offensive player on 60.8% shooting despite taking a lot of mid range jump shots. He also added 2.2 assists, which is very good for a guy who played mostly center.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=415

While Horford had trouble keeping Oden from scoring in the post, one area where Horford was not intimidated was on the glass. Horford actually went up to pull down multiple rebounds on both ends of the court, some over Oden and others with him in the direct vicinity. Horford came up with some very clutch rebounds down the stretch, where he fully used his length, athleticism, and timing along with a relentless hustle to help secure the game for his team. Horford did a good job boxing out when near the basket, and tracking down rebounds that flew away from the hoop.

... Horford’s normal style of defense in the post is to play with his hands up and by keeping his body in front of his man, forcing them into tough shots. That clearly didn’t work here against Greg Oden, and it’s an adjustment he’s going to have to make at the next level, using more physicality and adding some more strength to his excellent frame to maintain his position down low. There’s a chance this could push him down a few spots in the lottery, but he still has all the defensive tools in the world, excellent basketball IQ, and a great motor, which will allow him to learn to make those adjustments at the next level, should he have the right coaching.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Here are 10 players from Chad Ford's top 100 players.

The green and red arrows indicate if they are going up or down in the draft, in the eyes of the GM's that Ford says he talks to.
---------------------------------------------------------------
NAME HT POS FROM STOCK

1. Greg Oden 7-0 COhio State
You must be registered for see images attach
The best big-man prospect to enter the draft since Tim Duncan. He's the favorite to be the No. 1 pick.
2. Kevin Durant 6-10 SFTexas
He is the most talented prospect in the draft. He has it all: size, athleticism and a beautiful jump shot. But will someone really take him over Oden?
3. Al Horford 6-9 PFFlorida
Horford is a prototypical power forward with the strength, athleticism and size to play in the NBA right away.
4. Yi Jianlian 7-0 PFChina
Yi is the best international prospect in the draft this year. He has the potential to be better than Yao Ming.
5. Brandan Wright 6-10 PFNorth Carolina
After Greg Oden and Kevin Durant, no other big man in the draft has as much upside. But does he have the drive to live up to it?
6. Corey Brewer 6-8 SGFlorida
Long lanky two guard is a shutdown defender and a growing offensive threat.
7. Mike Conley 6-0 PGOhio State
Best friend of Greg Oden will be the first point guard off the board.
8. Julian Wright 6-9 SFKansas
An athletic hybrid that reminds some of a more aggressive Boris Diaw. May have the most upside of anyone in the draft not named Oden or Durant. But he also has pretty big risks.
9. Jeff Green 6-8 SFGeorgetown
Scouts love his versatility and all-around game. He could be the Brandon Roy of this year's draft.
10. Joakim Noah 6-11 PFFlorida
After an amazing run in the NCAA tournament last year, Noah's star has begun to tarnish a little. He hasn't improved the way scouts had hoped and a so-so 2007 NCAA tournament didn't help his stock.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hibbert is the only college player who could defend Odem and score 19 on him to boot. At 7'2" 275, he's big, strong, and moves his feet. On teams that need an interior presence, I can see him going early. Considering how high Sene, O'Bryant, and Armstrong went last summer; it is hardly stupid to think that the second biggest player in the draft might go higher than he should.

so I take it your answer is: NO. I DON'T WATCH A LOT OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

And how high were Sene, Bryant and Armstrong taken? Were they taken top 3? Top 5? No - which makes your ridiculous argument about Hibbert possibly going above Horford even more ridiculous considering Horford is a lock for top five.

sunsfn

Reaction score

cheesebeef,

What is your problem?
You can disagree with someone without calling them stupid, can't you?

If you have read a lot of this thread, George said some time ago that he does not follow a lot of college ball until the tournaments. I watch it some during the year but a lot more when the tournaments come on. I would think that happens with a lot of NBA fans. They watch their home town team and then watch the others in tournaments to see who they would like to see on their team.

When all you do is call people names, it is hard to read your posts and think that you actually know anything that you are talking about. It is like shouting at people and know one is going to listen because of it.

This is an excellent thread and very interesting to read if you are into the draft, because this year the suns may have the 4th pick in the draft.

Loosen up and join the discussion, but geez take it easy with the stupid comments.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hibbert's advantage is he is 7-2 but does he play like a 7 footer. look no further than yao ming. He is 7-6 but he can protect the paint worth crap. He neutralizes mcgrady's affect.

Hibbert barely get 7 boards a game. Horford gets 9 rebounds a game. He has shown flashes of paint domination. Hibbert only had one good game this season.

Athleticism always beat out height. Look at Amare vs yao. wich team owns which?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef,

What is your problem?
You can disagree with someone without calling them stupid, can't you?

when someone acts like they are an afficionado and they make RIDICULOUS statements , I'm gonna call it as I see it and I think it's an incredibly stupid opinion when someone states Hibbert could go higher than Horford and then they back it up with examples of guys who went 9 or worst. Not saying the poster themself is stupid, just that I think the opinion is. There's a difference.

and I'm sure you've never called anyone a HATER or anything, right? There's no difference between the two, except I actually show WHY the idea/post is stupid IMO. Either way, if you're gonna put something out there, when you really don't know what you're talking about but act as if you do, you should expect that opinion to be debunked with the same level of certainty.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Celtics fans are actually entertaining Durant to Phoenix scenarios.

Of course some of them think Durant is worth Marion, Barbosa and #4 while we get Ratliff, Delonte West, Ryan Gomes and Brian Scalabrine.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Celtics fans are actually entertaining Durant to Phoenix scenarios.

Of course some of them think Durant is worth Marion, Barbosa and #4 while we get Ratliff, Delonte West, Ryan Gomes and Brian Scalabrine.

Actually, that'd be a trade I could live with. Gomes is a great hustle player and West is better than LB as a backup PG who is good at 3pt. However, I can't grasp the rationale for Celtics in this deal. They need a franchise player FGS!

cly2tw

Reaction score
They still have Pierce , Jefferson and the #4.

They could have

Jefferson
Horford
Marion
Pierce
Barbosa

Well, there is no real franchise player in this lineup. It may get them into playoffs but that's about it. If I were the GM, I'd take my chance with Durant plus whatever I have or can get via trade and FA. Just my 2 cents.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Last time I checked Pierce was considered a franchise player before Boston hired Ainge.

Horford could also be one as well as Jefferson.

What clearcut franchise player does Detroit have? Or Utah?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cheese,

I wonder if there is anyone who has been on this board a while you haven't abused. Do you have serious problems at home or are you just too imature to act like a civilized human being?

What is truely bizzare is that I have said repeatedly that I think Hibbert would be a very bad fit for the Suns. My hope is that some other team would like him and take him early, although admittedly most mocks have him going later in the lottery:

nbadraft.net #8
draftexpress #5
hoopshype #8
insidehoops #7
nbawire #9
realgam #4

ESPN was the only updated mock I track that did not have him in the top 10.

To be frank, I don't trust my own judgment when it comes to scouting players. A lot of times I've been really impressed with guys only to find no one likes them and have not been impressed with guys who are drafted high and do well. That's why I look for a consensus of opinions as we get closer to draft day.

Now of course, it is possible that you're right and everyone else is wrong. But unwarrented abuse is plain stupid.