Draft Prospects thread

HooverDam

Reaction score
How come no one talks about Thabeet? I know he's raw but a 7-3 center should get some consideration...no?

He's a pretty big project, and has very limited offensive skills right now. I don't think thats the type of guy D'Antoni will be looking for, I'd imagine the Suns will want someone who is more NBA ready, someone who can help them defend their title in '08.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How come no one talks about Thabeet? I know he's raw but a 7-3 center should get some consideration...no?

Most of the prosgnosticators say he is a project--a very rewarding on--but a project none the less. If so, I can't see the Suns taking him. He won't get the time to be developed without going to D-league.

Now some projects are not as much so as some believe. If he is highly motivated, a quick learner, and uncommonly athletic, DAntoni will like him.

So, what's he IQ, and motivation like?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just curious why people think Mike D'Antoni would play let alone draft a raw, defensive center. Its not his MO. I know many Suns fans have this neurosis with big men and centers, but they will be plenty of good, skilled prospects to take with the hawks pick should the Suns actually get it this year.

I think the Noah debate comes down to a single question. What would the Suns be looking to accomplish with the Hawks pick. Would it be to add contributor for '08 and increase their chances of winning a championshio. Or would it be to hit home run and build a ?"dynasty." I like Noah, but he is a role player. Noah is the third best prospect on his team. He would be pretty good on the suns getting hustle points, running, and rebounding, but I do not know how high his ceiling is. On the other hand a guy like Horford or Brendan Wright could end being a star in the NBA although they would likely be riskier picks.

This is what many were saying about Boozer when he came out, and even Elton Brand before him.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Boozer I will give you although I think they are different players.

Brand however, had a much more developed low post game than Noah when he came out.

Its not that I think Noah is a poor player, I just think he is currently over-hyped.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
What about M. Hairston? He's a nice guy, he's built solidly, he's tenacious, and he can stroke it.

edit: by the by I meant as a second rounder

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something that excites me is that most draft projections don't have a sg or a pg going in the top 10. Size is always overvalued in the draft. There is going to be some steals in the teens with all of the big guys going early. I hope the Suns can move their two later picks and move up to nab one.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about M. Hairston? He's a nice guy, he's built solidly, he's tenacious, and he can stroke it.

edit: by the by I meant as a second rounder

Hairston has no NBA position IMHO. He's not quick enough to play SG and not big enough to play SF although he is a good rebounder. Afflalo absolutely owned him their first 2 years and AA is 6'4" tops, but hairston just couldn't score on him.

I have heard he won't come out this year because he's been hurt so much his stock is down.
Good college player but I think an NBA tweener.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
All jokes aside if Tiago Splitter falls to the Cleveland pick who thinks we should give him a contract? Would keeping him in Europe be an option? He sounds like he has potential offensively and is already defensively well developed.

HooverDam

Reaction score
All jokes aside if Tiago Splitter falls to the Cleveland pick who thinks we should give him a contract? Would keeping him in Europe be an option? He sounds like he has potential offensively and is already defensively well developed.

I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't there. What does LB think of him? I would put some stock into that. It also obviously depends on what they do w/ Atl's pick. Not being a good shooter is going to be a big negative though, and with his length you'd like him to be a better shot block. He seems to me like the prototypical Euro-style big man bust...but if LB and the coaches like him, bring him in. With 3 first round picks, the Suns do have some margin for error.

PetryJr

Registered
Reaction score
LB probably never said a bad thing about anyone his whole life :)

Yeah, if you ask him about Splitter, he'll probably say something like: "Tiago is a good player. I like playing with Tiago on the National Team. He's a good friend, and he gives me confidence. He's a good friend."

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody seen much of Herbert Hill or Jason Smith? From descriptions they sound like inside-outside bigs that could be a competent third string (or better) center for insurance rather than having Marks or Burke on the bench. I'm really hoping that any big we get is bigger than 6'10" and 240lbs. Anything less than that and they'd have to be a special prospect (like Noah or Diaw) to really be worth a damn.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I would do Diaw to trade up for Durant. But I would rather do Marion and most teams would rather get Marion than Diaw

I think that's true, but unless someone moves way up in the lottery, the team with the #2 pick is going to be terrible. And in that case, they'd probably rather have Diaw than Marion.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody seen much of Herbert Hill or Jason Smith? From descriptions they sound like inside-outside bigs that could be a competent third string (or better) center for insurance rather than having Marks or Burke on the bench. I'm really hoping that any big we get is bigger than 6'10" and 240lbs. Anything less than that and they'd have to be a special prospect (like Noah or Diaw) to really be worth a damn.

I find it strange after watching the Suns' success without a big stiff that I find myself wanting them to draft a player who could wind up that way. I do think a player like Herbert Hill could be a compromise in the talent vs. big defender role.

Last edited:

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's true, but unless someone moves way up in the lottery, the team with the #2 pick is going to be terrible. And in that case, they'd probably rather have Diaw than Marion.

Wouldn't a terrible team be looking for an All-Star to draw in some fans?

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the triple post but:

If we don't get the Atlanta pick is D'A a good enough wheeler-dealer to land us a pick in the teens using the late picks? I'm concerned.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wouldn't a terrible team be looking for an All-Star to draw in some fans?

1. No. They're looking for players who will help the team's long-term growth. What good is renting Marion for two years going to do anybody?

2. Since when does Marion draw fans? He gets no endorsements and constantly shows up on "most underrated" lists, which suggests that the typical fan really isn't all that interested in his game.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
If any player "constantly shows up on the most underrated lists", that's a huge compliment. All that suggests is that those players are a lot better than generally recognized. Nobody's ever seen Marion on the "most overrated" list that usually follows.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If any player "constantly shows up on the most underrated lists", that's a huge compliment. All that suggests is that those players are a lot better than generally recognized. Nobody's ever seen Marion on the "most overrated" list that usually follows.

But the topic was selling tickets. Who sells more tickets, underrated players or overrated ones?

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
I also don't understand the thinking that "the typical fan isn't interested in his game." Typical fans are the ones who vote in the All Star balloting and the list of forwards to consider in the Western Conference was pretty impressive. Marion was sixth in the balloting behind KG, Duncan, Dirk, Melo and Battier. If Battier didn't ride in on the Yao train Marion would have been fifth in line. That would seem to indicate the typical fan thinks his game is worth voting for.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
All-Stars sell tickets --- unless they are complementary players. Sad, but true.

I guess I'd agree, depending on your definition of complementary.

Last year Marion was a starter in 81 games, averaged over 40 minutes a game, had 60 double doubles and was 4th highest rebounder in the league. But you know all that.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
1. No. They're looking for players who will help the team's long-term growth. What good is renting Marion for two years going to do anybody?

2. Since when does Marion draw fans? He gets no endorsements and constantly shows up on "most underrated" lists, which suggests that the typical fan really isn't all that interested in his game.

Now I'd like to think I know you aren't angry, but why do you always sound so dispeptic?