Eagles plan heavy coverage for Fitzgerald

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11260320

Not sure on your forum policy for posting the entire article alongside the link so I'll err on the side of caution. Interesting piece.

I'll just get the expected first reply out of the way and say that "this means less coverage on Q."

Comments?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also means less coverage on Breaston, who also got 1000 yards this year. :)

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Not sure on your forum policy for posting the entire article alongside the link so I'll err on the side of caution.

its only articles from azcardinals.com that they dont want being posted on this board (just the link)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think you guys are sleeping on Steve Breaston. He is our speed guy and it has been acknowledged that Dawkins doesn't play the deep ball very well. With Fitz being double and triple covered and Q needing attention your going to need more then one nickel guy on Steve. He's real.

Also all that coverage takes away a blitzer I believe as well.

Not to mention Fitz has shown 2 corners can't stop him consistently either anyway.

Other then that I like your chances.:)

You shouldn't be worrying about devoting so much attention to Fitz. It would be smarter if you guys got to Warner faster instead.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
LOL, great game plan. eagles, meet JJ Arrington. It would be hilarious if JJ ripped off a few long ones ala the gimp Westbrook.

OP
OP
R

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I will say I'm surprised that Fitz has been 37% of your offense in the playoffs. And I thought Westbrook's numbers were high. That's huge for any WR.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also watch for the Eagles to bump, hold Fitz at the line and in his breaks far more than ATL and CAR did.

OP
OP
R

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, great game plan. eagles, meet JJ Arrington. It would be hilarious if JJ ripped off a few long ones ala the gimp Westbrook.

I'm going to be embarrassingly honest, here. JJ Arrington is stick active on a NFL squad?

Then I looked up his stats. It looks like he was involved in Weeks 9 and 11 but has barely touched the ball since then. Is he on the field much at all these days?

OP
OP
R

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Also watch for the Eagles to bump, hold Fitz at the line and in his breaks far more than ATL and CAR did.

Don't hold your breath. The more talented the WR is, the bigger the cushion he gets from the Eagles CB. No idea why and it drives me crazy to see them give up 8-yard passes like that.

Fitz will probably earn a 12 yard cushion.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't hold your breath. The more talented the WR is, the bigger the cushion he gets from the Eagles CB. No idea why and it drives me crazy to see them give up 8-yard passes like that.

It just seems like that is what they did on Thanksgiving.

:shrug:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I Agree With What Everybody Says Except...

Any fan who says they know what Philly plans for Sunday is either blowing smoke or outright lying.

Jim Johnson = Macy's

Cardinals & Their Fans = Gimbels.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any fan who says they know what Philly plans for Sunday is either blowing smoke or outright lying.

Jim Johnson = Macy's

Cardinals & Their Fans = Gimbels.
Truth. Except the Chris54s guy. He was a football genius and may have actually been Jim Johnson.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Given what Fitz has done the last two weeks --should this really surprise anybody?

What makes this interesting -- Fitz' biggest catches have come with two guys hanging on him

I am curious how much the Cards will test Fitz one on one with a safety and just throw it up there for him

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
dog bites man

now a story would be:

"Andy Reid announced that the Eagles plan to defend Larry Fitzgerald by not covering him and hoping he drops the ball"

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I will say I'm surprised that Fitz has been 37% of your offense in the playoffs. And I thought Westbrook's numbers were high. That's huge for any WR.

Note that we are also throwing the ball 20% less then we did on average in the regualr season.

BCEagle

Registered
Reaction score
This was posted on the EMB, thought this might be a good place to post it here. In the last 7 games:

Nov 28th Kurt Warner 21/39 235 yds 3 TD 3 INT
Dec 7th Eli Manning 13/27 123 yds 1 TD 0 INT
Dec 15th Ken Dorsey 11/29 156 yds 0 TD 2 INT
Dec 21st Jason Cambell 18/33 144 yds 0 TD 0 INT
Dec 28th Tony Romo 21/39 183 yds 0 TD 1 INT
Jan 4th Tavaris Jacskson 15/35 164 yds 0 TD 1 INT
Jan 11th Eli Manning 15/29 169 yds 0 TD 2 INT

The Eagles haven't given up a passing touchdown since December 7th when Eli Manning threw a TD in the fourth quarter, and look at all those INT's

The totals are 114/231 1147 yds 4 TDs 9 INTs passer rating: 53.43.

That is 1 TD in the last 24 quarters, and that TD came with 15 seconds remaining and was set up by a PI call after the game was well in hand.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm going to be embarrassingly honest, here. JJ Arrington is stick active on a NFL squad?

Then I looked up his stats. It looks like he was involved in Weeks 9 and 11 but has barely touched the ball since then. Is he on the field much at all these days?

It really does come down to the match ups and the scheme the coaches want to use, or what the opposing D wants to give us. He is usually not needed but when called upon he can do a little bit of damage to keep you honest.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Interesting, because that might be our biggest pet peeve of our D as well.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
its only articles from azcardinals.com that they dont want being posted on this board (just the link)

Copyright issues apply to all articles and Skorp has made it clear, in the past, that excerpts and the link is what he wants on the site.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

He is our return guy, doesn't get hardly any running carries, and is used as a decoy and occasional target in the run game.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Nov 28th Kurt Warner 21/39 235 yds 3 TD 3 INT
Dec 7th Eli Manning 13/27 123 yds 1 TD 0 INT
Dec 15th Ken Dorsey 11/29 156 yds 0 TD 2 INT
Dec 21st Jason Cambell 18/33 144 yds 0 TD 0 INT
Dec 28th Tony Romo 21/39 183 yds 0 TD 1 INT
Jan 4th Tavaris Jacskson 15/35 164 yds 0 TD 1 INT
Jan 11th Eli Manning 15/29 169 yds 0 TD 2 INT

All I see is Manning without Plax, Crappy Dorsey, Crappy Campbell, cant play in a big game Romo, Crappy Jackson, and another Manning without Plax.

Warner can light up the score board against Philly and was the last one to do so even with Boldins worst game of the season. But he also hurt the D by throwing those INT's and Boldin had his worst game of the season. But also Samuels wasnt playing either so who knows until Sunday.

The Passing O will put up points without a shadow of a doubt and have proven so time and again even against the best of defenses. The problem lies in limiting turnovers.

BCEagle

Registered
Reaction score
This is as good of a writeup as I've seen. It's on the EMB.

http://boards.philadelphiaeagles.com/index.php?showtopic=531343

this is sorta long, so I'm splitting it up a bit

by Tommy Lawlor , http://eaglesblitz.blogspot.com

NFC Championship: EAGLES at CARDINALS

OVERVIEW

The Eagles play on Sunday for the right to go to Tampa. You might say that's not a big deal. We're not talking about a trip to Sacramento, Milwaukee, or Jessica Alba's house after all. But wait. Tampa is hosting the Super Bowl this year. Going there is actually a good thing for once.

The only thing standing between us and a return to the Super Bowl is the Arizona Cardinals. Is that a fantasy or what? We're talking about the Cardinals. No way those guys beat the Eagles, right?

This Cardinals team is different than the one we beat 48-20 on Thanksgiving. That isn't just trite pre-game talk. Think about how different the Eagles are now compared to the team that the Giants beat at midseason. Football teams evolve as the season goes along. The Cardinals are running the ball better and their defense is making plays. They are a quality football team.

Arizona beat the Falcons and Panthers to advance to the NFC championship game. They edged Atlanta 30-24 in a tight game and then demolished Carolina last week. Let's take a look at that game...

LAST WEEK

I went back and re-watched the game last night to see just what happened in more detail. I wanted to see if that score was due to Arizona playing lights out or Carolina coming up small in a big game.

Carolina was awful. If I were a Panthers fan I’d be furious. The team didn’t look prepared. Their effort was inconsistent. They were passive. Jake Delhomme was horrible. The Cardinals deserve credit for taking advantage of the situation and blowing them out, but a lot of media types are going to over-hype Arizona based on last Saturday.

The Panthers’ coaching staff had to be sick as they watched the game. Larry Fitzgerald was left uncovered on a third down play on the Cardinals opening drive. He caught a short pass and turned it into a gain of 31. I don’t mean he was covered by a linebacker or simply had a step on a defensive back. Fitzgerald was uncovered. On the next drive Arizona faced third and goal from the 3-yard line. The Panthers failed to cover running back Tim Hightower and he caught an easy touchdown pass. On both plays you could see Panthers defenders pointing and arguing about who to cover.

The Cardinals have a good offense. Their plays are creative and do feature some confusing elements. Still, you can’t have multiple plays where defenders don’t know who to cover. That is inexcusable in the postseason. There was another goal-to-go play where a linebacker didn’t shift with motion and was completely out of place on a touchdown run where Edgerrin James was untouched. These are simple alignment mistakes that cost the Panthers points and huge chunks of yardage.

Carolina’s defense was very passive in the first half. They sacked Kurt Warner once, but only pressured him on two of his first 15 passes. That means Warner had a nice clean pocket to sit in. How do you let that happen on top of leaving guys uncovered? Yikes. Warner threw 19 passes and the Cardinals scored 27 points in the first half. With no pressure he was very effective. Carolina decided to blitz in the second half and it worked. The blitzing didn’t lead to sacks, but it slowed down Warner. He was only 6 of 13 for 21 yards after halftime. Arizona struggled on offense. They had less than 100 yards in the second half and only scored six points.

Delhomme had six turnovers in the game. It was a nightmare performance for him. I’d tell you I felt bad for the guy, but that would be a lie since he once cost us a trip to the Super Bowl. I was curious to see if Delhomme had a bad game or big time pressure and great defense led to the mistakes. It was mostly Delhomme. His fumble came on a good rush by Antonio Smith. His interceptions were either thrown into double coverage or just sloppy passes in traffic. It was funny to listen to the FOX analysts argue. Tony Siragusa was trying to defend Delhomme, but Darryl Johnston would have none of it. In this case, listen to Moose over Goose.

I’m not trying to say Arizona didn’t play well. They certainly did. The point is that Carolina was terrible and had a significant hand in giving the game away.

HOT TEAMS

I guess you'd call the Cardinals hot. They've won 3 in a row. However, prior to that they'd lost 4 of 5 and were playing horribly. Whatever. They have righted the ship. Turnovers have been huge for them. They have come up with 9 takeaways in 2 playoff games.

The Eagles are red hot. We've won 3 in a row and 6 of 7. And 5 of those wins came against teams with winning records. This isn't a case of beating weak teams or anything like that.

The Cardinals have scored 30 or more points in each of their 3 wins. The Eagles have played great defense during their streak. The defense has allowed 7 TDs in the last 7 games. The defense has scored 4 TDs in that span.

The Eagles have kept games close through halftime in both playoff wins before pulling away late in the game. Donovan McNabb has been a big part of that late success. In the 4th Qtr of the two playoff games he is 11/13 - 176 - 2 TDs - 158.3 rating. That's clutch play from the QB.

PREVIOUS MEETING

The Eagles won on Thanksgiving night, 48-20. Arizona had a terrible game. Their defense couldn't handle Westy. Warner threw 3 picks. Their receivers had a handful of drops. Anquan Boldin played the worst game I've ever seen from him. We also know that teams coming from west to east did not fare well this year.

That game came on a short week of practice so you can bet that those were real basic gameplans. Things will be different this time around. Both the Cards and Eagles will pull out all stops. Anything will go in this kind of a situation.

DEFENSE

We’ll start with the Eagles defense, since that unit is playing brilliantly right now. They know that the first order of business is getting to Warner. Jim Johnson will mix in some blitzes early, but likely will try to let his defensive line do most of the work. If you can pressure Warner with just the front four you are that much better off. The back seven can then focus on coverage.

I’m sure the Eagles pass rushers are excited this week. The last two games they had to focus on the run and couldn’t tee off on the opposing quarterback. This game will be different. The Cardinals like to throw the ball. Trent Cole, Juqua Parker, Darren Howard, and Chris Clemons will be able to get after Warner. They don’t have Adrian Peterson or Brandon Jacobs to worry about. Warner is public enemy number one.

While Warner isn’t the most mobile guy he does an excellent job of moving in the pocket and also avoiding sacks by getting rid of the ball quickly. He was sacked once every 24 pass attempts. That is impressive for a guy of his age and mobility. It goes to show you that a sharp mind and quick release can be just as effective as the ability to scramble.

Warner does not always handle pressure well. We didn't sack him in the Thanksgiving game, but he threw 3 INTs. Kurt needs to have his feet set in order to get the ball off accurately and with good velocity. He's also very much a timing QB. Make him move around in the pocket enough and you'll disrupt the timing of their passing game. Sacks are great, but the key is to get in his face and make him uncomfortable.

JJ has faced Warner quite a few times over the years. He always finds a way to get some pressure. In the 2001 opener Johnson used double CB blitzes, the first time I ever recall that. In 2002 the DL played great and Warner went down 8 times. Jim will come up with something. As I mentioned earlier, the Panthers defense got little pressure in the 1st half and Warner ate them alive. Carolina got creative and aggressive in the 2nd half and Warner couldn't do squat. You must rattle his cage.

The Cardinals offensive line is good, but not great. Those guys are overachiever types, my personal favorite kind of linemen. They don’t have the greatest athletes in the NFL, but those guys will battle you on every snap. Offensive linemen who are well coached and play hard can be very tough to beat. I was surprised at how good a job left tackle Wayne Gandy did on Trent Cole in the first meeting.

I expect the Eagles to play a lot of man coverage underneath. They will probably press, where the defensive backs line up aggressively on receivers and try to either jam them or at least run tightly with them. Jim Johnson will not let Fitzgerald run free this week.

There are a couple of interesting things to consider about the CB/WR matchups. Asante Samuel missed the first game with ARZ. Lito started in his place and gave up 3 TDs. You always want Samuel on the field in a game that will feature a lot of passing. Hanson is solidly the NB this time around. He's playing well right now. I'm curious about Sheldon. He didn't play so well last week in coverage, but played great against ARZ the first time around. I hope we get the good Sheldon.

Quintin Mikell and Brian Dawkins will play a lot of cover 2, where they line up about 15 yards off the ball and split the field in half. That makes it tough for Arizona to throw deep. Mikell and Dawkins are already off the ball and can turn and run if needed. They are able to see the ball in front of them if Warner throws short or over the middle. That’s when they can go attack receivers and pound on them.

There have been holes in our pass defense the last couple of weeks. We've seen various receivers open, only to have the ball off target and end up incomplete. A couple of times we've seen balls dropped. This is something to be somewhat concerned about, but not totally. The defense has been focused on stopping the run recently (because of our opponents). Dawk and Mikell were coming up aggressively against the run. That won't be the case this week. Those two will be deep. Those holes down the field should not be present this week.

With the safeties deep, the front seven will have to play the run well on their own most of the time. Arizona only ran 10 times in the November game. Don’t expect a repeat of that. They’re improved on the ground. Edgerrin James is back to being the primary ball carrier, which allows Hightower to come in with fresh legs and be a very effective backup. I think the Eagles size and speed will be good enough to handle the Cardinals ground attack. James shows a tendency to like to go outside, but he lacks the speed to get there. He still has good vision, but his legs just can’t move like they used to.

The Cardinals will move the ball and score some points. Warner, Fitzgerald, James, Hightower, Steve Breaston, and Anquan Boldin are too good to completely shut down. I think you can count on Boldin playing. He missed last week and I’m sure sitting that game out is eating at him. Add in the fact he really struggled in the first game with us and you can bet he’ll have something to prove. One interesting thing to watch is how the Cardinals handle our defense. They faced the 24th and 18th ranked defenses in the first two rounds. We have the #3 defense in the NFL. Arizona has to be at their best against us, but they will have some success.

--------------------

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
FYI – here are the top 9 receivers for each team

CARDS:
Patrick – 11
James - 12
Doucet - 14
Arrington – 29
Hightower – 34
Urban – 35
Breaston – 77
Boldin – 89
Fitz – 96

EAGLES:
Brown – 18
Buckhalter – 26
Celek – 27
Avant - 32
Curtis – 33
Baskett – 33
Smith – 37
Westbrook – 54
Jackson - 62

Note: 75 to Cards backs - 80 to the Eagles.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05