Edge James to visit Saturday

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
nidan said:
I expect would he had a plan for both contingencies.

This also assumes that he didn't intend to bring EJ in both plans, which we do not know to be a fact.
I do not think they necessarily changed course but that they had Plan A and Plan B. By this I mean they probably always wanted to bring Edge in but with two plans. Plan A to sign him to a 1yr contract if there was an uncapped year in 07( I could not see Edge signing longer than that in this scenario) and Plan B to bring him in and offer him SA money and sell him on the new Stadium and new direction of the Cardinals. A long term contract will be the best for both parties and I hope that he does not leave Az without being blown away by a better offer than anyone else will give him. Whether he will sign it is another story. We always seem to be the bridesmaid. Maybe not anymore.

AZCardDieHard

Reaction score
The Numbers Game

From NFL.com

Just as the CBA has been reconfigured, so have the salary-cap numbers for the teams at the start of free agency. But the extension means that only four teams -- the Washington Redskins, the Indianapolis Colts, the Oakland Raiders and the Kansas City Chiefs -- will have to restructure contracts and/or release players to get under the cap.

The Redskins are about $7 million over the cap, the Colts about $5 million, the Raiders about $4 million and the Chiefs about $2.5 million.

But there are some teams that could practically horde the free-agent market. With the CBA extension, the Minnesota Vikings are now $31.5 million under the salary cap, the Green Bay Packers are $30 million under the salary cap, the Arizona Cardinals are $26.5 million under the salary cap and the Cleveland Browns are $24.5 million under the salary cap.
Gentlemen, start your checkbooks.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nidan said:
Maybe we are just a bargaining chip, but if we don't play we can't win the hand.

Stranger things have happened.

Isn't E. James one of those guys that you have to "show love" to?? What if he just straight up feels Indy is disrespecting him........if the money is the same why wouldn't he sign here??

Our field will save his knees. He seems like he'd be a DG guy. There is no room for him in Florida. And the chicks out here are right good looking.

Oh great....I'm getting my hopes up.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
Actaully admiting that maybe you were over reacting at first ??

Why would we admit that? We were upset due to the words that were coming right out of Green and Graves mouth. We had no reason to doubt what they were saying based on the past two years of action.

Odds are they changed their tune when they realized they will have almost an extra 8 million in cap space to work with.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
Well, the FA period begins Saturday morning at 12...you can't bring him in Friday night. But I agree...12:01, he's in our office!

That's Eastern time. Here, he can be in at 10:01 tonight.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
I would also take him down to the New Stadium and show him around. Tell him that this is the new home that EDGE built. Make him feel wanted.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
Another thing I was thinking is how much better would our OLine be with Edge behind it. I would think Davis and Ross would want to play that much better with a Franchise Back running behind them. Wells most likely is our LG and he isn't bad. Bring in a decent RG or move Ross there and bring in a RT and the Oline with Edge should be able to really gel. Center could be manned by Leckey and Step if Mawae or Bentley can't be had. I would be ok with this.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Isn't E. James one of those guys that you have to "show love" to?? What if he just straight up feels Indy is disrespecting him........if the money is the same why wouldn't he sign here??

Our field will save his knees. He seems like he'd be a DG guy. There is no room for him in Florida. And the chicks out here are right good looking.

Oh great....I'm getting my hopes up.

I think you're right. I think Edge is tired of playing third fiddle, and here he'd fit right in. Warner's not going to hog attention. Both Boldin and Fitz are humble guys. James isn't a loudmouth on a team. He has quietly gone about his job, but I think he has been peaved that he's considered the puzzle piece that doesn't matter.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards Czar said:
I would also take him down to the New Stadium and show him around. Tell him that this is the new home that EDGE built. Make him feel wanted.

Well I dont agree that you tell him this is the home "he built" considering he had nothing to do with it. IMO you would have to give him a speech similar to the one Cotton Fitzsimmons gave Barkley in the first year at America West.

But you are right in that giving him a tour of the fancy new stadium would be a given IMO. They would be stupid not to.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Cards Czar said:
You can make Edge feel wanted by signing a really big check. Edge has never been shy about admitting that money came first and everything else was secondary, which I can't blame him for consideing the situation he and his family grew up in. I'm willing to bet anybody that he goes to whatever team offers him the opportunity to make the most money.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stout said:
I think you're right. I think Edge is tired of playing third fiddle, and here he'd fit right in. Warner's not going to hog attention. Both Boldin and Fitz are humble guys. James isn't a loudmouth on a team. He has quietly gone about his job, but I think he has been peaved that he's considered the puzzle piece that doesn't matter.

Sorry but Boldin and Fitz are still both stars in thsi league. He would still be considered nothing but a piece of the puzzel here. Whether Fitz/Boldin are humble or not they are gonna garner much attention.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards Czar said:

I would tell him what Cotton Fitzsimmons told Charles Barkley when he showed him the Suns new arena.

"This place was built without you, and it will be filled after you're gone. There's one reason why you're here. And, that's to put championship banners right up there."

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Jenna Jamison lives here. Maybe she could take James on the stadium tour for some added insurance.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I would tell him what Cotton Fitzsimmons told Charles Barkley when he showed him the Suns new arena.

"This place was built without you, and it will be filled after your gone. There's one reason why you're here. And, that's to put championship banners right up there."

Damn great minds think alike aj!

Read my post above :thumbup:

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
like someone said before. why would the cardinals tell james to bring his agent if the cardinals were not going to after him.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Jenna Jamison lives here. Maybe she could take James on the stadium tour for some added insurance.
Now that is a great Idea:D :thumbup:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rats said:
Now that is a great Idea:D :thumbup:

Actually its not considering the last interview I saw with said that the only man she would ever be with from here on out was her husband. She is into women only.

But granted that was two years ago. Maybe she changed her mind.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

"This place was built without you, and it will be filled after you're gone. There's one reason why you're here. And, that's to put championship banners right up there."
Two different circumstances. Barkley was playing for years with a perennial loser and wanted to get a chance to play for a winner. The thought of winning a championship motivated him as much as Charles could be motivated.

Edge is a different story. If he wanted to be a part of a champion then he'd stay in Indianapolis. The guy knows this is going to be his very last big contract and he wants to get paid first.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
like someone said before. why would the cardinals tell james to bring his agent if the cardinals were not going to after him.

Is there some confirmation that says the Cards asked him to bring his agent? Where is this coming from?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Why would we admit that? We were upset due to the words that were coming right out of Green and Graves mouth. We had no reason to doubt what they were saying based on the past two years of action.

Odds are they changed their tune when they realized they will have almost an extra 8 million in cap space to work with.

Odds are that nothing NFL teams say in public at this time of year is accurate. Particlualy when talking about FA and the draft.

I'm sure they had at least to main plans and we have no idea if EJ was in 1 or both of them. The good news is that his is in the plan now.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Actually its not considering the last interview I saw with said that the only man she would ever be with from here on out was her husband. She is into women only.

But granted that was two years ago. Maybe she changed her mind.

Somehow I don't see her bringing along a couple of girlfriends as a draw back.