ESPN News just reported..... (Old Thread - March 2005)

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I'll say it right now.... If Edge doesn't come in gift wrapped with a new deal, this entire deal sucks

He would have to come in a new deal because he isn't currently under contract and he wants a long term deal. Not sure what he considers long term but hopefully the Cards stay in the 4-5 year range. He shouldn't get quite Clinton Portis money--even though I personally think he is a better back than Portis, Portis is younger and has a longer football life ahead of him. But they both have the same agent.

I would actually be shocked if anything happened too quickly because the negotiations between Rosenhaus and the Cards could prove rather tricky. I doubt any hang up would be the compensation given to the Colts. I am willing to bet it would be a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick in next years draft with maybe a player like R. Thompson thrown in.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Espo said:
I think Kilborn chose to leave. But anybody got anything else on Edge?

Nevermind, its from an old "This is sportscenter" commercial.

/bad joke

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Not sure what he considers long term but hopefully the Cards stay in the 4-5 year range.

I think the total opposite. It should be in the 6-7 year range. You can just get better cap friendly deals that way and just restructure or cut the guy after 5 years without any cap implications. Thats how Manning, Harrison, and any contract that Washington hands out gets done and why both teams can still not be in cap trouble.

Big bonus, long term deal, back loaded contract, thats the way to go for star players now a days.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I was trying to call Fox Sports radio but when I went to hit redial I hit the * key. Anyone have the #? It's 877 - something - on fox.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Syracusecards said:
I was trying to call Fox Sports radio but when I went to hit redial I hit the * key. Anyone have the #? It's 877 - something - on fox.
877-99-onfox

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Syracusecards said:

Woo hoo! A proactive poster, just what we needed

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I think the total opposite. It should be in the 6-7 year range. You can just get better cap friendly deals that way and just restructure or cut the guy after 5 years without any cap implications. Thats how Manning, Harrison, and any contract that Washington hands out gets done and why both teams can still not be in cap trouble.

Big bonus, long term deal, back loaded contract, thats the way to go for star players now a days.

The only way I agree with that is if years 6-7 are high salary low guaranteed money years. It makes the contract sound fatter than it is but is safe for the team...but the Cardinals don't tend to do that. I guess really it all depends on how much bonus money he gets...

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Syracusecards said:

you can always call the benchwarmers sports show in Tucson (520) 621-5806 & see if they have any insider info

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Zeno said:
The only way I agree with that is if years 6-7 are high salary low guaranteed money years.

Thats what back loaded means, and players with this type of contract rarely even see it, becuase they are cut or restructured by then.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I'm on Fox radio hold right now about to ask if it's true. Hope I don't sound as drunk as I am. Wish me luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05