ESPN Reports Cards Change Mind

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
An Arizona Cardinals source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that the team has had a change of heart and will stick with Kurt Warner as starting quarterback.

The source said the Cardinals reconsidered overnight and decided that starting Matt Leinart at this point in the season would put too much pressure on the rookie quarterback. The Cardinals will continue to monitor the quarterback situation and still could make a change later in the season.

Arizona coach Dennis Green is expected to address the media about his decision on Wednesday.

Green was noncommittal in Monday's news conference about whether Warner would continue to start for the Cardinals.

"I don't talk personnel on Monday," Green said. "We'll start looking at things and have a staff meeting and take it from there."

Warner's had an awful performance in Sunday's 16-14 home loss to the St. Louis Rams. The 35-year-old quarterback was intercepted three times -- once with the team at the Rams' 1-yard line and another at the St. Louis 14.

To cap it off, Warner fumbled a snap at the Rams' 18 with 1:46 to play as Arizona was positioning itself for what would have been the winning field goal.

When asked if he remained committed to Warner, Green said, "You know what? I've not thought about who the starting players are right now. ... Normally personnel is something we do on Tuesday."

The remarks made it clear Green was considering benching Warner, who has fumbled five times, losing two of them, and thrown four interceptions in the last two games.

Players weren't available for interviews on Monday, but Warner was asked about the possibility of losing his job after Sunday's loss.

"I'll let coach Green make that decision," he said. "Of course I know what I would do, but that's not my decision to make."

The Cardinals' ugly loss came in front of a sellout crowd of 63,278 in their new stadium, and many of them let Warner know what they thought of his performance as he left the field.

"I'm not worried about that," Warner said. "I mean, whatever."

Warner was named NFC offensive player of the week after Arizona's season-opening victory over San Francisco, but the offense has produced just 24 points in subsequent losses at Seattle and against the Rams.

Warner and center Alex Stepanovich have had problems with the snap at times, even in pre-game warmups. Although he was seen jawing at his center after the fumble, Warner told reporters that the snap was good.

"I did my assignment," Stepanovich said, "and the next thing I know the ball is on the ground."

Warner finds himself in this precarious position for the third time in his career. After leading St. Louis to two Super Bowls in three seasons, he lost his job to Marc Bulger, then signed with the New York Giants in 2004. He was the Giants' starter for nine games but was benched in favor of rookie Eli Manning.

Leinart is without doubt Arizona's franchise quarterback of the future after the team took him with the No. 10 pick overall. But he missed most of the preseason after failing to come to terms on his rookie contract.

The plan this season was for Leinart to watch and learn from the sidelines, but Green is an impatient coach who has not hesitated to switch quarterbacks in his uphill fight to bring a winner to Arizona. Green praised Leinart's poise and performance in the preseason.

With a 12-23 record in two-plus season with the Cardinals, Green admits he has wondered at times whether he can turn around the long-suffering franchise.

"I think any time a coach doesn't win enough, he's got to think about that," he said. "I'd be crazy not to. I've won a lot of games in my career. The question is I haven't won here."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, if last week wasn't the nail in the coffin for Dirty Kurt, this week surely will be.

I'm guessing he has at least three fumbles and a pick and likely gets knocked out of the game. Just my opinion.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mort is full of crap. I honestly think he just jumped the gun. Denny never gave any hint that he would start Leinart... even though I wish he would, but I can wait a week. You know it's coming.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Well I hope Warner does well but I don't really have much faith in that right now.

Leinart will probably get his first start at home after all

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happened did the players from ASU tell Green they like Kurt better?

To be fair to Green initial reports may have been wrong all along but if he really changed his mind it sends an awful message both to Kurt, and to the team about his confidence in his QB.

DKCards

Reaction score
What happened did the players from ASU tell Green they like Kurt better?

To be fair to Green initial reports may have been wrong all along but if he really changed his mind it sends an awful message both to Kurt, and to the team about his confidence in his QB.

I don’t think that is the case. The headline should read….. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen was Wrong.
He jumped the gun trying to get the scoop on everyone. It backfired and instead of taking the blame he puts it back on Green and the Cards. In his report he even said that Green didn’t say it but he was going to make the call that ML was starting.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When asked if he remained committed to Warner, Green said, "You know what? I've not thought about who the starting players are right now. ... Normally personnel is something we do on Tuesday."

The remarks made it clear Green was considering benching Warner, who has fumbled five times, losing two of them, and thrown four interceptions in the last two games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Basically someone read into Greens comments and went to far with it. Terrible reporting!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mort is full of crap. I honestly think he just jumped the gun. Denny never gave any hint that he would start Leinart... even though I wish he would, but I can wait a week. You know it's coming.
I have no inside info or proof that the following happened, but here's what I think could have happened.

I think the leak was intentional. I wouldn't be shocked if the leaker was DG thru Jeremy. I don't think the Cards were ever really serious about benching Warner in favor of Leinart. The purpose of the leak was to use the media to serve notice on some starters that "no job is safe." And also - to make it easier to make the move to Leinart later on if things don't improve.

Anyway, accurate or off-the-wall, that's what I think.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if we lose the next two games and Kurt continues his horrific play, this will be the worst decision of the Denny Green era. At 1-4 or 1-5 going to Matt is tantamout to giving up on the season. At 1-2 going to Matt is trying to salvage the season.

I think it is very likely we lose our next three games...I'd rather lose those three games with Leinart at the helm than Kurt, because after those losses we'd have a shot at Leinart improving and getting comfortable in the offense for a late season run at 8-8 or 9-7. IF, and I do say IF, Kurt leads us to three losses, there is nothing to build from and the team will have already imploded.

I'd LOVE for Kurt to play lights out in Atlanta and do well, keeping Matt on the bench for the rest of the year but I've come to the opinion that it won't happen. He's a shell of what he once was and is turnover prone and is terrible at crucial junctures in games.

Prove me wrong Kurt...the season depends on it now.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have no inside info or proof that the following happened, but here's what I think could have happened.

I think the leak was intentional. I wouldn't be shocked if the leaker was DG thru Jeremy. I don't think the Cards were ever really serious about benching Warner in favor of Leinart. The purpose of the leak was to use the media to serve notice on some starters that "no job is safe." And also - to make it easier to make the move to Leinart later on if things don't improve.

Anyway, accurate or off-the-wall, that's what I think.

I could buy that and would have no problem with it. Kurt should know that his crap won't be tolerated!

I love it!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'd LOVE for Kurt to play lights out in Atlanta and do well, keeping Matt on the bench for the rest of the year but I've come to the opinion that it won't happen. He's a shell of what he once was and is turnover prone and is terrible at crucial junctures in games.

I'm with you on that 100%...the ideal situation is Kurt rebounds and plays well and we don't see Leinart all season. While I think thats ideal I don't think its realistic.

Another 3 Turnover game by Kurt and he shouldn't see the field again.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if we lose the next two games and Kurt continues his horrific play, this will be the worst decision of the Denny Green era. At 1-4 or 1-5 going to Matt is tantamout to giving up on the season. At 1-2 going to Matt is trying to salvage the season.

I disagree. The coaching staff has said all along that if Leinart has to start this season then the season wasn't going as planned.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
well, if last week wasn't the nail in the coffin for Dirty Kurt, this week surely will be.

I'm guessing he has at least three fumbles and a pick and likely gets knocked out of the game. Just my opinion.

And here it comes.....the infamous Cheese Wiz waffle.....wait for it....wait for it.....and if Kurt throws 3 tds and looks steller are we going to have to endure another Kurt vs Leinart PLEASE READ Cheese hysteria led posting free for all like this Mort rumor led you to that says KURT IS NOW...or something to that effect. You should have stayed on sabbatical. Your production has went way up on this board and way down on the manuscript. Just my opinion.:D

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was skeptical about Mortensens report and said so yesterday. Announcing it like that just seems so out of character fpor Green. Barring injury, there will be no advance notice Leinart will start because Green has always shown he plays things close to the vest and doesn't want the opponent to be able to game plan for certain things if he is making some change.

My guess is Green said something to Mort (maybe "I have to consider making a change") and Mort, in an effort to break the news threw it out there before Denny had really decided.

I stayed out of the discussion mostly yesterday because I can see both sides of the equation. I think a truly unemotional objective person would start Warner but after watching Warner the past few weeks I couldn't help but feel that Leinart maybe should be in there. In the end though, I think this decision, assuming The Genius doesn't reverse course on Saturday night, is probably the right one for this week.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score

I think it is very likely we lose our next three games...I'd rather lose those three games with Leinart at the helm than Kurt, because after those losses we'd have a shot at Leinart improving and getting comfortable in the offense for a late season run at 8-8 or 9-7. IF, and I do say IF, Kurt leads us to three losses, there is nothing to build from and the team will have already imploded.

IF IF IF....:stick: Gotta get rid of this hoodoo....you are spewing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. The coaching staff has said all along that if Leinart has to start this season then the season wasn't going as planned.

Well, I think they have to be of the mindset that Kurt leading the league in turnovers and braindead play from the QB spot was also not planned.

In a perfect world, Leinart playing would have meant the season was in shambles...however, if they made the move now it would have been proactively saying "he's not going to hurt us as much as the current starter is killing the team."

The season ISN'T going as planned. Our QB play is atrocious, something we didn't think would happen. We expected bad line play and we got some of it. But the line also played well. Our QB, save for one good half of football, has been really shaky at best.

This is his last chance...if he has another 3-4 turnover game, there will be a new starter in town and rightfully so.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IF IF IF....:stick: Gotta get rid of this hoodoo....you are spewing.

What are the odds Kurt turns it around and stops turning the ball over, Rats? Seriously...the IF isn't a shot in the dark. Dude has a serious problem and has cost us game(s). He will continue to do so.

I hope he turns it around and plays lights out, but that's a much bigger IF than him kicking us in the ass over the next three games.

And no amount of hoodoo is going to change reality...the team doesn't have much left in the tank in regard to supporting Kurt.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Denny, using the media.

Very UN Cardinal like.

We'll see, hope he's right, I still think Warner is goofy from the hit, concussions can last several weeks.

We'll see.