Even though the Cards should not look back... I cant help it.

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
I agree alot with this article but seriously I can not get the KC game and the Bears game out of my mind. Thinking of those missed kicks, Pt return, fumble return....etc seriously brings me down. I hope the players can block it out and look forward.

Time to shake things up
Cards must be combative again and try new approaches

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 1, 2006 12:00 AM

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It seems like seven years, not seven weeks, since the Cardinals began the season with a rousing victory over the San Francisco 49ers, leaving the field to the cheers of adoring fans who had packed the team's new stadium.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Since then, the Cardinals have not won a game. They have benched a quarterback and fired an offensive coordinator. They have blown leads and have been blown out. They have lost in odd, creative ways and in old, mundane ones.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Last week, team Vice President Michael Bidwill asked coach Dennis Green and Rod Graves, the top football administrator, how things had gone so awry. Maybe the question was rhetorical, because everyone else seems to know the answer. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The question the Cardinals should be asking is not how they got into this mess. That's obvious: The offense has produced only sporadically, the defense has taken unscheduled time off, the special teams have been anything but, and Green has provided little direction.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The more important question is: What can the Cardinals do to salvage some respectability in the final eight games? [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here are eight suggestions:[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Forget about it [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]There's no question the Monday night loss to the Chicago Bears was a devastating blow to the Cardinals' hopes this season. But it's time to let it go. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It was one regular-season game, not a playoff loss. Get over it. Bad stuff happens to every team. Bad teams let games like that define the season.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Provide direction [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Green must give his players a plan to salvage respectability in the second half of the season. You don't do that by firing assistant coaches and distributing blame.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]He and his staff need to not only define the Cardinals' shortcomings during this off week but they must find ways to overcome them in the second half. Green always has loved the underdog role. We'll see how well he does in it as he coaches perhaps his final NFL games.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Speak up [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Over the past few years, all we have heard from the Cardinals is how many talented, young players they have. But where are the leaders?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Where are the players demanding excellence from their peers? This team's best players - receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, safety Adrian Wilson and defensive end Bertrand Berry - prefer to let their performances speak for them.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But this team needs to be shaken up, and if it takes grabbing a teammate by the collar and getting in his face, it needs to be done.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Boldin said this team needs an attitude change in the second half of the season, but you can't expect people to do that on their own.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fulfill the promise [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]When Mike Kruczek took over as offensive coordinator two weeks ago, he promised a bold, passionate approach. Instead, the Cardinals have been outscored 38-10 in the first half of the two games since. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Green fired Keith Rowen after the team turned conservative in the second half against Chicago and blew a 20-0 lead. But multiple sources have said it was Green's call to milk the clock in the second half, and that Rowen was just following orders.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Cardinals' biggest priority in the off-season was developing a running game. But they have failed miserably at that. They should trash the idea of using the tight end and fullback to create some room for Edgerrin James to run. It's not working.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The offense has had no rhythm the past two weeks. It has no identity, nowhere to turn in times of trouble.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]It's time for the Cardinals to do what they do best - spread the field with three or four receivers and start throwing it. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Maybe that will give James more room to run.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Use Boldin in different ways. Line him up at receiver, in the slot, as a running back. Throw downfield to Fitzgerald.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cut down on the number of running plays, and keep it as simple as possible while this offensive line develops.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Stick with a line [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Cardinals have tried nearly every combination of starting offensive lines available to them. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]They could have moved guard Reggie Wells to right tackle when Oliver Ross suffered a knee injury on the second day of training camp. Instead, the club held auditions for the job, and nobody impressed. Meanwhile, weeks of important developmental work were wasted.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Now, Ross has been benched, and Wells is playing right tackle. He needs to stay there. Against the Dallas Cowboys on Nov. 12, coaches plan to start Milford Brown and rookie Deuce Lutui at the guard spots, with Nick Leckey at center and Leonard Davis at left tackle.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]That's the line they should stick with for the rest of the season.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Be combative [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]People have made fun of Green's tirade after the loss to the Bears, but it showed a passion this team has been missing too often this season.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]They have started the past two games like they were going to work at a job they don't like. They were listless and disinterested. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Green must find a way to rekindle some emotion. Create it, inspire it or fake it. That's why he has the big office and the big paycheck.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dust off some trick plays [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]With the offense in a malaise, the Cardinals need something to ignite them.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]How about a trick play? A halfback pass? A receiver pass? Boldin played quarterback at times in college, yet he has thrown just two passes in four NFL seasons and none this year. Fitzgerald can throw, too. Kicker Neil Rackers can do amazing things with the ball, so why not try an onside kick? [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Do something. Anything. So what if it smacks of desperation? You'll never get spark if you just stare at the match.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Don't look back [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The 1-7 record in the first half of the season is like the highway patrolman who follows you for miles. The tendency is to concentrate on what's going on behind you instead of paying attention to what's ahead.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Cardinals need to rip the rearview mirror out of the car. There is nothing to be gained from looking back at the past two months. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Players must find a cause to rally around in the final eight weeks. Maybe it's trying to save Green's job, although it's doubtful that 53 players would rally around that. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Maybe it's self-preservation. Maybe it's a new contract. Maybe it's just acting like a professional.[/FONT]

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
How can you forget Rams debacle... it still hurts my stomach just to type it... When the game ended, and coaches / teams were crossing the field to shake hands, you could see the look of disbelieve in Rams' coaches face...

I agree alot with this article but seriously I can not get the KC game and the Bears game out of my mind. Thinking of those missed kicks, Pt return, fumble return....etc seriously brings me down. I hope the players can block it out and look forward.

OP
OP
100%CardsFan

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
How can you forget Rams debacle... it still hurts my stomach just to type it... When the game ended, and coaches / teams were crossing the field to shake hands, you could see the look of disbelieve in Rams' coaches face...

U know what. After the back to back KC and Chi game I totally forgot about the rams game... God Dmnt!! Thanks

:closesgaragedoorandstartscar:

wembley88

A Grand Old Team
Reaction score
if bryant johnson had just caught that pass in the endzone against kc......

Slacker

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm pretty sick of every article posted stating the obvious.

Give us a damn W.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sick of every article posted stating the obvious.

Give us a damn W.

Actually, I thought this article was refreshing. How many fire Green articles can you read, especially knowing that he will not be fired anyway?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It's virtually impossible not to look back...when these games are carbon copies of the same flawed preparation and execution, compounded by lackluster effort, especially when there are windows of opportunity to generate a valiant comeback of some sorts.

It's also very difficult to remain optimistic about the second half of the season...for the same reasons above...it does seem quite obvious that this team has really no idea of how to win games...even during the one win versus SF, the team was self-destructing down the stretch, but was able to avert the loss nonetheless.

Winning is certainly a mentality...it's an attention to detail and preparation...and it's a collective effort generated by team leadership and spirit...and when the mentality is right, winning is more than an expectation, it is an anticipation...

These Cardinals will likely rise up for a game or two...ironically they always seem to just when it will cost them a premier draft pick...

On the bright side, the roster is chock-full of intriguing talent...and if somehow, some way, a coach can get through to these players and teach them how to win...and teach them how to prepare...and teach them how to turn adversity into a collective determination to rise above it...to the point where there is never even a semblance of quit in anyone...

Those will be the halcyon days...

And that will be the time when we can really embrace the notion of:

"...I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac...and a voice inside my head said, you can't look back, you can never look back..." (Don Henley)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Mitch. This whole debacle falls in the lap of the Coaching Staff. Great Armies have lost battles to inferior foes because of a flawed plan.
I watched in awe as the Patriots dismantled a pretty good Viking team on the road throwing the ball all over the place. Forty three times to be exact while running just 15 times. And you know what makes them great? They might not throw 43 times over the next 3 games. They will plan an attack that fits their opponent.
THAT is the big difference.

OP
OP
100%CardsFan

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
if somehow, some way, a coach can get through to these players and teach them how to win...and teach them how to prepare...and teach them how to turn adversity into a collective determination to rise above it...to the point where there is never even a semblance of quit in anyone...

In my personal opinion I beleive Green really did try to do this. He ALWAYS talked about not thinking they were just the "same ol Cards" He really did try to install that winning attitude in his team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Mitch. This whole debacle falls in the lap of the Coaching Staff. Great Armies have lost battles to inferior foes because of a flawed plan.
I watched in awe as the Patriots dismantled a pretty good Viking team on the road throwing the ball all over the place. Forty three times to be exact while running just 15 times. And you know what makes them great? They might not throw 43 times over the next 3 games. They will plan an attack that fits their opponent.
THAT is the big difference.

But remember as VF told us all repeatedly when we hired DG, "DG doesn't adjust to other teams, other teams adjust to DG."

At the time we all thought he meant that in a good way, now we know what he really meant.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"...I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac...and a voice inside my head said, you can't look back, you can never look back..." (Don Henley)

I always wonder about that line - what is Don Henley referring to? Did he ever have a chance to play with the Dead? I was a HUGE Dead-head but I never heard anything in their history that would link Henley and the band. What gives?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always wonder about that line - what is Don Henley referring to? Did he ever have a chance to play with the Dead? I was a HUGE Dead-head but I never heard anything in their history that would link Henley and the band. What gives?

I always thought that Henley was referring to a deadhead driving a Caddy representing selling out or something.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I always thought that Henley was referring to a deadhead driving a Caddy representing selling out or something.

me too - kinda once you change to one way of life, you can't simulataneously cling to another different way of life

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't need eight suggestions only one.

Beep, Beep, Beep, as the moving van backs up the Cardianls Training facility destination LA.

As it pains me to say this, year after year the regular season provides no hope for this team. Why must we continue with the same song, different year. The only highlight for the regular season is the bye weeks.

This is a week, we fans can take a sigh of relieve if just for a brief moment. Next week the beating continues. I think, I'll just stay down this year and take the count to 10.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05