Favorite Cardinals Win

chickenhead

Reaction score
I'm going to have to say the win against San Diego to make the playoffs as well.

But I also have a big soft spot for the wins against the Giants and Vikings on national TV just two seasons ago. The Super Bowl season was a bit of a dream. That season was in a way my favorite because it just felt like we had a normal, legit, contending football team. I never knew what that was like.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For me, it was the last game of the season, (Bugel's), 10-6 win over the Giants to put us at 8 and 8 for the year. We won by running the ball, and keeping possession, as much as we did by playing VERY tough 'D'. Still, Mr. Bidwill chose to fire Joe and replace him with Bodacious Buddy Ryan, because Bugel failed to have a winning season. It didn't matter that Bugel went 5-3 in the last 8 games.

We got the 'Winner in Town' the next year, and we all know where that got us.

Well that got a gullible 21 year old to buy season tickets for the first time, going on season 18, wow!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The Carolina playoff game. I have never "celebrated" so hard during a game. I jumped in the lake behind my condo to after we won. At midnight. In January.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They went 7-9 his last year. Were sitting @ 3-9, but won our last 4 to finish at 7-9. He should have been extended!
It was 4 of the last 5, and 5 of the last 8. Lost at home to DET in week 15, I was at that game, had bought tickets in hopes of seeing Barry Sanders and he was hurt. I agree Bugle should have been back. 8 of the 9 losses that year were by a TD or less. Imporved for 4-12 to 7-9 and point differential went from -89 in 02 to +57 in 03.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 week 2 OT win vs Dallas was one of my favorites. Naked bootleg to Pat Carter and the 2pt to tie and then the Butler did it in ot!!! Fans rushing the field and carrying the goal post out of the stadium. I remember hanging over the tunnel and yelling "we beat the f'ing cowboys" and Michael Bankston stopped and turned around w/ a huge grin and said "f yeah". That week tied for 1st place was special.

Bingo.

I've never seen anything like it. It was like we had just won the Super Bowl. Parading the goal posts down Mill Ave. Players coming out and partying with fans after the game. Classic day in Cardinal history!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are people listing playoff games?

BTW to many wins that I cant pick just one.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually vote for the Lomax to Roy Green in the back of the end zone win versus the 49ers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually vote for the Lomax to Roy Green in the back of the end zone win versus the 49ers.

yeah... that one made me fall in love with the team. it was the high water mark of the inaugural season, once we wouldn't even come close to seeing again for another 10 years.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah... that one made me fall in love with the team. it was the high water mark of the inaugural season, once we wouldn't even come close to seeing again for another 10 years.
Oh man, I still get giddy thinking of that. What is wrong with me!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bingo.

I've never seen anything like it. It was like we had just won the Super Bowl. Parading the goal posts down Mill Ave. Players coming out and partying with fans after the game. Classic day in Cardinal history!

even more classic was we finished that year 4-12 and the Cowboys finished the year 6-10. That's what's truly hilarious about that game to me.

and yes, i was on the field too. remember clear as day running around that field, the speakers pumping Diana Ross' "What A Feeling!" and then, taking a seat at the 50 yard-line so i could watch Tobin's post-game presser which they broadcast on the big scoreboard near the main entrance of the stadium.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
even more classic was we finished that year 4-12 and the Cowboys finished the year 6-10. That's what's truly hilarious about that game to me.

and yes, i was on the field too. remember clear as day running around that field, the speakers pumping Diana Ross' "What A Feeling!" and then, taking a seat at the 50 yard-line so i could watch Tobin's post-game presser which they broadcast on the big scoreboard near the main entrance of the stadium.
Irene Cara.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Why are people listing playoff games?

BTW to many wins that I cant pick just one.

The topic says favorite Cardinal win, doesn't say the playoffs don't count. Those wins are even more special IMO because of the significance.

I only listed games I actually attended, there are some others I watched on TV that were awesome too but only ones I really attended do I consider favorites.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of the threads going right now are about bad Cardinal memories, busts, etc.

So going over that history got me thinking about the good old days.

SO my question is, EXCLUDING PLAYOFFS, what is your favorite or most memorable Cardinals win?
bUMP

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Ok guess that is what I get for just looking at the header not the entire message.

Ok top 3

Atlanta in Plummers rookie year, scored final 15 points to win 29-26
NY Giants in 1988 beat them 24-17 to go to 7-4 on the year..lost the last 5
San Diego 1998, the game itself sucked but the outcome was awesome

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guess that is what I get for just looking at the header not the entire message.

Ok top 3

Atlanta in Plummers rookie year, scored final 15 points to win 29-26
NY Giants in 1988 beat them 24-17 to go to 7-4 on the year..lost the last 5
San Diego 1998, the game itself sucked but the outcome was awesome

that SD game really was like chinese water torture. They were AWFUL. Craig Freaking Wheilahan was their QB and we went up 10-0 immediately... then just seemingly shut down for the rest of the game on offense. Kwame had something ridiculous like 4 interceptions BY HIMSELF and STILL, with 30 seconds left, facing a 4th and 20, Wheels threw a 30 yard touchdown to tie the game. my brothers and i were sure they were going to go for two, get it and we'd be kicked out of the playoffs by the worst team in the league... but then, Metcalf made his biggest... and well... probably ONLY play of his time with us, taking the kick off back to the 40-ish yard line, Jake made one short pass to Frank Sanders, Jacke came on the field and the rest, as they say, was history!

but yes, that game almost killed me. i lost my favorite PING hat that day because after we gave up the 4th and 20 TD, i ran into the COMPLETELY empty concession area furious and just tossed it as far as i possibly could.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
One of my favorites (forget the year) was at SDS against Mark Rippin and the defending SBC's Washington Redskins. Robert Massey's 3 picks 2 for TD's and a come from behind win.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
but yes, that game almost killed me. i lost my favorite PING hat that day because after we gave up the 4th and 20 TD, i ran into the COMPLETELY empty concession area furious and just tossed it as far as i possibly could.

:biglaugh:

The Cards have had sooooo many of those games where they lost at the end & we all feared & already knew the outcome...this was one of the few we pulled out of our a@*. :D

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
and STILL, with 30 seconds left, facing a 4th and 20, Wheels threw a 30 yard touchdown to tie the game.

That was just classic Arizona Cardinal football. Continues to this day.

HEY HOW ABOUT SOME DEFENSE WHIZ?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite games over the years that come to mind.

1975: 37-6 NY Jets, my first NFL game ever, in 3rd grade i think. Metcalf bolts up the middle for a nice TD

1975: 31-17 Dallas Hart, Mel Gray and Metcalf beat Staubach, Pearson(s) and Co.

1976: 30-28 LA Rams, Classic Cardiac Cards game, last minute Baaken kick.

1976: Dallas 21-17 more Metcalf and Mel Gray

1977: Dallas 24-17 Monday night, nice win over future SB champion

1977: Minnesota 27-7 Cardinals dismantle a strong Vikings team in surprisingly easy fashion

1981: Washington 40-30 One of the few times we beat the crap out of Theismann and Co, and this was the year they were outscored by the Eagles 90-10.

1984: Washington 26-24, last minute ODonaghue win, Roy Green ~80 yd TD on 1 play drive

1988: SF 24-23 last minute comeback thriller, Roy Green in back of end zone against the mighty 9ers.

1988: NYG 24-17 Domination and nearly 500 yards of offense.

1996: 36-30 Boomer Esiason to Marcus Dowell wild finish

1998: 20-7 Dallas playoffs, cards defense does a number on Aikman and the felons

2003: Josh McNown and Nate Poole perform their version of "The catch" to knock the Vikings out of the playoffs after a 6-0 start.

2008: Dallas 30-24: OT win establishes the cards as a contender

2008: Atlanta: Amazing play by Fitzgerald

2008: Carolina: Cards shock the world by winning road game in dominating fashion. More amazing plays by Fitz

2008: Philadelphia: Cards almost let this one slip away, but score in a critical TD drive and hang on for the win

2009: NYG: 24-17 cardinals dominate a tough Giants team.

2009: Minnesota: 30-17: Cards beat the crap out of Bret Favre and Co on national TV, nifty catch and run by Boldin.

2010: Greenbay 51-45 Warner throws more Tds than incompletions in highest scoring playoff game in NFL history to win thriller. Michael Adams the unlikely hero.

Last edited:

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
NFCC Philly- Atlanta- Carolina and 98 last game against San Diego