Favorite Cardinals Win

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So to be clear, your contention is that in addition to the 95 yard KO TD that the box scores show, there was another, surprise onside, KO returned for a TD that does not show in the box scores? Or am I confused?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So to be clear, your contention is that in addition to the 95 yard KO TD that the box scores show, there was another, surprise onside, KO returned for a TD that does not show in the box scores? Or am I confused?

who knows. i could be wrong.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of the threads going right now are about bad Cardinal memories, busts, etc.

So going over that history got me thinking about the good old days.

SO my question is, EXCLUDING PLAYOFFS, what is your favorite or most memorable Cardinals win?

For me a game that always comes to mind is in 1996 against the Eagles in SDS. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199611240crd.htm

It was a meaningless game in a bad season (we had a lot of those in SDS) but as usual I was there with my dad and our group of STH's we rolled with back then.

If you didn't see it, this is what happened:

The Cardinals scored on a Boomer Esiason pass to Centers to put us up 29-20 with about 2 mins left. It was very memorable because it was the first and last time I ever heard my dad utter the following words:

"That's it, it's over, we got em!"

I was like; "DUDE ARE YOU INSANE WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT?!?! NOOOOO!"

lol

Then....

We kicked off, the Eagles ran it back for a TD 29-27

No problem, we still got it right?

The Eagles did an onside kick, recovered it, and RAN THAT BACK FOR A TD TOO!

I remember looking at my dad and saying THIS IS YOUR FAULT! lol

Fortunately you cant advance an onside kick, but the Eagles still had the ball and quickly gained some yards and kicked a field goal. 30-29.

Un freaking believable. People in the crowd were so frustrated it bordered on just being funny. It was so typical Cardinals, how do you let them run 2 kickoffs back for TD's in a row? Who does that? SERIOUSLY? lol

So the Eagles kicked off, the Cardinals got the ball with 47 seconds left and what does Boomer do? He drove us right down the freakin field and scored a TD.

It was pandemonium. Definitely the craziest final 2 mins of a game I had ever seen, talk about a roller coaster. I'll never forget it. We might as well have won the Superbowl, all 200 of us (jk) in SDS were hugging and high fiving and everyone was just laughing as they exited the stadium.

The funniest part was that there was time left on the clock after we scored so we had to kick off again! lol You could hear the crickets when that ball was in the air, and then pandemonium resumed when we actually tackled him.

Original post asked for most memorable or favorite Cardinal game, EXCLUDING PLAYOFFS. Some of you are too young to remember, but without a doubt it was the Monday Night game in 1970 against Dallas when the Cardinals completely embarrassed the Cowboys 38-0 IN DALLAS. Monday Night Football was young, but was by far, the most watched game of the weekend. Dallas was very good & eventually lost to the Colts in OT in the Super Bowl. But that night, it was ALL Cardinals. Perhaps the Cowboys most embarrassing loss in their history. Cosell & Gifford just tortured Dandy Don Meredith all night! I would kill to see that game again. Is anyone aware of any old NFL archives where a copy of the game would be available?

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I have to say mine was the 1988 comeback win over the 9ers at SDS. Down 23-0 the Cards came back to win 24-23. As exciting a win as I've ever seen.

My seats were in the very top row on the east side..about the 15 yard line...cheapest possible I think

Only time I ever got to see Lomax/Roy Green in person

Cards had worked their way back to 6-4 after starting 0-2 and the fans were chanting 'Super Bowl, Super Bowl' on the way out of the stadium.. They finished the season 7-9 lol

On a personal note, that game was on Nov 6 and my last big drunk. I entered an alcohol treatment program 3 days later. Haven't had a drink since...22 years!!

Didn't Lomax get hurt and they lost their last 4?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Lomax get hurt and they lost their last 4?

Worse than that....they beat the Gints the next week to go 7-4, then lost their last 5...stupid Cardinals:)

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mine:

1978: Cards 16 Eagles 10-My first ever live football game. $10 700 level seats at the old Vet. Cards were in the midst of a 12 game losing streak spanning 2 seasons(lost last 4 of 1977 and 1st 8 of the '78 season). Jim Otis opened the scoring and the game ended when Roger Wherli intercepted Jaworski as time expired.

1986: Cards 10 Eagles 10-The only reason this is one of my favorite games is because the Cards defense, which was butt ugly bad, sacked Randall Cunningham 10 times.

1987: Bucs 28 Cards 31-I took a trip to St. Louis to see my first Cardinals home game. Stayed at the Clarion Hotel(the round one) right across the street. I get to the stadium, which has more empty seats than fans, and the Cards fall behind 10-3 at the half then 28-3 going into the 4th. I wasn't happy. Then the comeback started. Awalt scored to make it 28-10. Then Niko Noga picked up a fumble and took it to the house. 28-17. Now there's hope. Lomax then hits JT Smith. 28-24. Then Smith again to take the lead 31-28. The Bucs have one more drive and get into FG range where Igwebuike's 53 yard attempt clangs off the cross bar. It still stands as one of the greatest comebacks of all time.

1990: Cards 23 Eagles 20-Joe Bugel's first win. Rough game. Rosenbach only throws for 116 yards but he and Johnny Johnson combine for 138 rushing yards and Al Delgreco kicks 3 FG in the 4th quarter, the last as time expired, to win the game @ Philly.

1998: Chargers 13 Cards 16-The only thing I need to add to this is that it's been my one and only Arizona Cardinals home game.

As for games I didn't see live:

2009: Vikings 17 Cardinals 30-This was a Sunday night game with Favre getting all the hype and we simply pound them and him. Funny thing though that this was a great game sandwiched in between 2 stinkers(TENN & SF).

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Original post asked for most memorable or favorite Cardinal game, EXCLUDING PLAYOFFS. Some of you are too young to remember, but without a doubt it was the Monday Night game in 1970 against Dallas when the Cardinals completely embarrassed the Cowboys 38-0 IN DALLAS. Monday Night Football was young, but was by far, the most watched game of the weekend. Dallas was very good & eventually lost to the Colts in OT in the Super Bowl. But that night, it was ALL Cardinals. Perhaps the Cowboys most embarrassing loss in their history. Cosell & Gifford just tortured Dandy Don Meredith all night! I would kill to see that game again. Is anyone aware of any old NFL archives where a copy of the game would be available?

The Cardinals also beat Dallas 20-7 that season. For years that season was what I used as one of the prime examples of what it was like to be a St.Louis Football Cardinals fan. Beat Dallas by a combined score of 58-7 and they go to the SB and we don't even make the playoffs.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals also beat Dallas 20-7 that season. For years that season was what I used as one of the prime examples of what it was like to be a St.Louis Football Cardinals fan. Beat Dallas by a combined score of 58-7 and they go to the SB and we don't even make the playoffs.

That 1970 season ended so painfully. After starting the season 8-2-1 & in control of the division, we lost our last 3 & finished at 8-5-1, missing the playoffs. Charlie Winner was fired after the season & Bob Hollway took over. He was a horrible HC & we sucked until Coryell took over.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
returning their own? or a surprise onside by us?

It was their onside kick after they had returned a kickoff for a TD. We muffed it and one of their guys ran it in. But you cannot advance an onside kick recovery, so they got the ball at that point of recovery. They went down and kicked a FG with something like 40 seconds to go to take the lead.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
returning their own? or a surprise onside by us?
There was a 39 yard KO return in the 1997 game, I bet that was the surprise onside your thinking off. That combine with the fact the there was an onside returned, but called back in this game, has you confused. I should be getting a copy of the '96 game in the next week or so, so we'll know for sure.

First Quarter
You must be registered for see images
Arz--B.Wilson 66 interception return (J.Nedney kick), 5:09.
Phi--W.Clark 39 kickoff return (C.Boniol kick), 5:19.
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes...eeea7ab0bff937b085256ac10069e70b?OpenDocument

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It was their onside kick after they had returned a kickoff for a TD. We muffed it and one of their guys ran it in. But you cannot advance an onside kick recovery, so they got the ball at that point of recovery. They went down and kicked a FG with something like 40 seconds to go to take the lead.

Which is exactly how I remember it.

Perhaps someday cheese will respect me enough to trust my memory, but I doubt it. :doofus:

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score

Yes I think this is the correct version too. So in less than 3 minutes:

our TD
their kickoff return for TD
their onside kick recovery and advance for TD but called back
their drive for field goal
our drive for TD

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
That 1970 season ended so painfully. After starting the season 8-2-1 & in control of the division, we lost our last 3 & finished at 8-5-1, missing the playoffs. Charlie Winner was fired after the season & Bob Hollway took over. He was a horrible HC & we sucked until Coryell took over.

before i was watching but this, 1977, and 1988 all ended pretty similarly with losing streaks after good starts to take us out of the playoff picture. What a dumb move to get rid of Coryell after 77, he goes to San Diego and they have the best offense for the next 6 yrs or so.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Didn't the phins install their successful wildcat offense the next week against New England, I think, and beat them?. I think they would've trounced the Cards if they had done it to them

Not on that day.

Warner was on. That pass Boldin took to the house was enough to say the Cardinals weren't going to get trounced by anyone that day.

When Warner was feeling it, like he was that day, things got scary, and NFL coaches start sweating cold sweats.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a 39 yard KO return in the 1997 game, I bet that was the surprise onside your thinking off. That combine with the fact the there was an onside returned, but called back in this game, has you confused. I should be getting a copy of the '96 game in the next week or so, so we'll know for sure.

First Quarter
You must be registered for see images
Arz--B.Wilson 66 interception return (J.Nedney kick), 5:09.
Phi--W.Clark 39 kickoff return (C.Boniol kick), 5:19.
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes...eeea7ab0bff937b085256ac10069e70b?OpenDocument

that has to be it then. that one was against the Eagles also, huh? must be why i'm confused.