Fire D'Antoni!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how anyone can want D'Antoni fired...I really don't get it.

because we believe this team has enough talent to win a title and if they don't this year, after foour years of this "system" with more talent than anyone in the league, it's likely because the coach can't get them there. I have no idea why that's so hard to understand.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seconded, this thread is ridiculous.

so, if we lose again this year, and it's straight up, are you're telling me that you'd be satisfied with an underachieving team and wouldn't believe that our coaching philosophy is a problem? That's something I don't understand. I won't call it ridiculous, but it's definitely a head scratcher to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, if we lose again this year, and it's straight up, are you're telling me that you'd be satisfied with an underachieving team and wouldn't believe that our coaching philosophy is a problem? That's something I don't understand. I won't call it ridiculous, but it's definitely a head scratcher to me.

I guess Jerry Sloan should be fired in Utah as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Jerry Sloan should be fired in Utah as well.

his teams consistently over-achieve and he's not married to one system/player like DA. He's gotten one team to back to back Finals (something DA hasn't come close to) and he's gotten another completely different team to the Conference Finals, completely overachieving. So, really, no, Sloan shouldn't be fired.

Next?

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
I know 90% of the board will jump all over me for reacting so negatively just 1/2 game into the season. So, I can save you the trouble by saying this - I have been in favor of firing Coach D for over a year now.

Reasons he sucks:

1. The Hell with the situation or players - his system must be played. He is the most stubborn coach since Norman Dale. I am just waiting for him play with 4 players one of these days rather than go to his bench.

2. He has Grant Hill parked on the 3-pt. line... and it isn't working. He is not good at that shot. He is much better mid-range... but again, it is all about his system.

3. He will continue to limit his rotation, and when injuries or suspensions occur - we have no one that can play his system. Of course they can play, but not very well in his system.

4. His system has delivered exactly ZERO championships. AND it can be argued that his system and refusal to adjust has cost the Suns at least one championship.

Positives.

1. His system is fun to watch, and taylor made for Steve Nash's skill set.

... that's the only positive thing I can say... and I almost want to say that his system would be much less effective without Nash.

One more point; Doug Collins commented that in the 4th year, Scottie Pippen and MJ were finally able to break through the Piston Barrier and win... and also in the 4th year, Kobe and Shaq broke through. He feels the Suns, now in their 4th year are ready for that next step. GUESS WHAT CHANGED IN THE PRIOR TWO SCENARIOS TO START THEIR RUNS? That's right, coaching changes!

Now that we've seen another 24 minutes of the season, let's see how those points look now:

1. The "system" seems to have worked out -- Suns close on a 33-17 run to win pulling away.

2. Grant Hill -- 1 or 7 from the 3-line (ok can't argue with you on this one, but then Hill has been shooting it well in preseason)

3. Coach played 9 guys, including keeping Nash out until 8:00 left in the fouth, even with the game in the balance. Every starter in the low 30's.

4. 1 down, 81+4+4+4+4 to go!

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
LMAO @ this thread. Fire D'Antoni now and ANY chance to win the championship goes flushing down the toilet.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sincerly hope this isn't how the whole season will go. This board will become unreadable.

HooverDam

Reaction score

I don't know if I consider winning 55+ games, having a fun team to watch, and going deep into the playoffs "losing." Furthermore, the last 2 years when we've had a chance, we haven't lost "straight up," so I'm not sure if they will even do that this year.

Fans are often too quick to call for changes, it takes teams a while to knock on the door until they finally over come. I think this will be the Suns year.

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
I guess you failed to notice the subtle hints like the "Fire D'Antoni!" with an exclamation point and the whole rant about coaching changes in year 4 with the Lakers and the Bulls? :shrug:

it's crazy to fire him now..

fire him in the off season if the suns don't have a parade..

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
DA must feel like the Joe Torre of the NBA. I can't see firing him unless we could get Popovich or Phil, and last I checked, they are already spoken for. Can't think of anyone else who would be a significant upgrade.

The playoffs are always a crapshoot. You can't pin last years debacle on D'Antoni. And reaching the WCF the two seasons prior to that is nothing to be embarassed at, especially missing Amare one of those years (again not DA's fault).

If anyone deserves blame for the Suns not reaching the NBA Finals during D'Antoni's reign, it's the front office, who has not given him the right bigman needed to get past Tim Duncan and the Spurs. And the closest one they had in KT was given away....again, not D'Antoni's doing.

I think if you substitute any other coach and replay the last three years, you likely won't get it to come out any better that it did. We just didn't have a good enough team to get all the way to the end. Period.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
Firing D'Ant is the easy thing....

Hiring a new coach, now that is the problem.

and the Toad is right....we simply have not had the best team. And part of that 'team' does include the coaching staff.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know 90% of the board will jump all over me for reacting so negatively just 1/2 game into the season. So, I can save you the trouble by saying this - I have been in favor of firing Coach D for over a year now.

Reasons he sucks:

1. The Hell with the situation or players - his system must be played. He is the most stubborn coach since Norman Dale. I am just waiting for him play with 4 players one of these days rather than go to his bench.

2. He has Grant Hill parked on the 3-pt. line... and it isn't working. He is not good at that shot. He is much better mid-range... but again, it is all about his system.

3. He will continue to limit his rotation, and when injuries or suspensions occur - we have no one that can play his system. Of course they can play, but not very well in his system.

4. His system has delivered exactly ZERO championships. AND it can be argued that his system and refusal to adjust has cost the Suns at least one championship.

Positives.

... that's the only positive thing I can say... and I almost want to say that his system would be much less effective without Nash.

One more point; Doug Collins commented that in the 4th year, Scottie Pippen and MJ were finally able to break through the Piston Barrier and win... and also in the 4th year, Kobe and Shaq broke through. He feels the Suns, now in their 4th year are ready for that next step. GUESS WHAT CHANGED IN THE PRIOR TWO SCENARIOS TO START THEIR RUNS? That's right, coaching changes!
First of all, i'm not in favor of canning Mad Mike at this point because as i've stated before, this seasons playoffs will decide D'Antoni's fate.
However you're right on with your assesment of the many flaws in this system thats built to win 55+reg season games, sell tickets, reel in the "casual" fan base, but ultimately fail in the post-season.
I want nothing more than to be proven wrong with a championship or at the very least...a Finals appearance. Anything less & Mad Mike will be gone.
Grant Hill will be fine & the 3pt shot will start to fall IMO.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Reasons he sucks:

Positives.

Ridiculous.

Only can fanboys who think they know wats best for the team on a message board come to life with these kind of comments.

For the last three years the Suns have been the crown jewel of the PHX sports teams. We have been a 60 win team been to two WCF's and have the most marketable enertaining team in the league. DA is the reason Nash and all other FA's have come here and likely one of the main reasons STAT reupped. His system has been undone in the playoffs only by injury and the heavy handedness of the league. That is not opinion that is fact.

DA is one of the five best things to EVER happen to this team in the history of the franchise. We are so spoiled by the success HE has brought that now delusional fans quibble over his rotations and system. REALLY? REALLY? What a joke. You can have an opinion and not like some of the things he does and that would be valid. But to say to fire him is just....whatever. I cant believe I am even responding to this. Do you remember Frank Johnson? Do you remember Danny Ainge? Do you remember Scott Skiles? I think fans who make comments like these are the types of fans who have been cheering for this team for say oh - the last three years. No perspective whatsoever. Go cheer for the Sonics.

As for the renewed effort to make sure everyone is polite and doesn't attack anybody? Its like we have a special group of memeber who are the Gestap all of a sudden offering their heavy handedness on who says what to who. This is a sports message board. People are going to have different opinions and come down on each other. The fact that a guy like cheese and ouchie (whose opinions I both value and sometimes disagree with) who have been in some of the most classic confrontations on this board and can be more than just a little condescending from time to time - are now killing people for "attacking style" is kinda laughable. As long as no one goes too far can we just all stop being the polite police and let people go at it a little bit. I for one think if someone is legitimately going to think that DA should be fired they SHOULD be told where to go sit IMO.

I don't want this to descend into the Cardinals team board (which is a joke into itself) but at the same time calling someone out is not that big a deal. And if you are going to write it - have the balls to get it back to you.

Geez - sports is about talking a little trash. There is an extreme obviously but i dont think nashman crossed it at all and I have been seeing more and more of this lately. Give it a rest and let the mods handle it if it gets out of hand.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I honestly don't know how anyone can want D'Antoni fired...I really don't get it.

I agree. The Red Sox fans were talking all year about how Francona should be fired and now they're the champs. I wonder if they want him fired now?

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ridiculous.

Only can fanboys who think they know wats best for the team on a message board come to life with these kind of comments.

For the last three years the Suns have been the crown jewel of the PHX sports teams. We have been a 60 win team been to two WCF's and have the most marketable enertaining team in the league. DA is the reason Nash and all other FA's have come here and likely one of the main reasons STAT reupped. His system has been undone in the playoffs only by injury and the heavy handedness of the league. That is not opinion that is fact.

DA is one of the five best things to EVER happen to this team in the history of the franchise. We are so spoiled by the success HE has brought that now delusional fans quibble over his rotations and system. REALLY? REALLY? What a joke. You can have an opinion and not like some of the things he does and that would be valid. But to say to fire him is just....whatever. I cant believe I am even responding to this. Do you remember Frank Johnson? Do you remember Danny Ainge? Do you remember Scott Skiles? I think fans who make comments like these are the types of fans who have been cheering for this team for say oh - the last three years. No perspective whatsoever. Go cheer for the Sonics.

As for the renewed effort to make sure everyone is polite and doesn't attack anybody? Its like we have a special group of memeber who are the Gestap all of a sudden offering their heavy handedness on who says what to who. This is a sports message board. People are going to have different opinions and come down on each other. The fact that a guy like cheese and ouchie (whose opinions I both value and sometimes disagree with) who have been in some of the most classic confrontations on this board and can be more than just a little condescending from time to time - are now killing people for "attacking style" is kinda laughable. As long as no one goes too far can we just all stop being the polite police and let people go at it a little bit. I for one think if someone is legitimately going to think that DA should be fired they SHOULD be told where to go sit IMO.

I don't want this to descend into the Cardinals team board (which is a joke into itself) but at the same time calling someone out is not that big a deal. And if you are going to write it - have the balls to get it back to you.

Geez - sports is about talking a little trash. There is an extreme obviously but i dont think nashman crossed it at all and I have been seeing more and more of this lately. Give it a rest and let the mods handle it if it gets out of hand.

Agree completely. How many of us only watch the Suns games, and find most of the league unwatchable? I know I do. Would we really want a Pat Riley type of coach here?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If anyone deserves blame for the Suns not reaching the NBA Finals during D'Antoni's reign, it's the front office, who has not given him the right bigman needed to get past Tim Duncan and the Spurs.
OK, let's blame it on the GM. Oh, that was Mike D'Antoni.

It's nice to have a team so good, and so entertaining. That's the glass half full.

It's natural to want our team to take the next step and win it all. That's the glass half empty.

And for long time Suns fans, it's natural to want a title after 39 seasons without. That glass is completely empty.

It's time to fill it.

Grant Hill parked out by the 3-point line isn't going to do it.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
If Mike gets fired, free agents will follow HIM, not the Suns. They like his playing style, that's why they want to come to PHX. Only a spoiled fan would want to fire a coach who has brought his team INCHES from the finals for two years straight.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Mike gets fired, free agents will follow HIM, not the Suns. They like his playing style, that's why they want to come to PHX. Only a spoiled fan would want to fire a coach who has brought his team INCHES from the finals for two years straight.

You mean like the Chiefs, and what they did to Marty?

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
As a Sacramento resident, I heard the "Fire Adelman" rants across the city loud and far too often. I found it udderly ridiculous, even as a Suns fan, because the Kings were winning. They fire him, and now look where the Kings are at.

You think Kings fans wish they could have that wish back now?