Fire D'Antoni!

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Assuming D'Antoni is fired who is it you want to coach the team?

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Save your breath guys.

The Suns can get eliminated in the first round and they still won't fire D'Antoni.

D'Antoni teams sell tickets, and thats ALL that Sarver cares about.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save your breath guys.

The Suns can get eliminated in the first round and they still won't fire D'Antoni.

D'Antoni teams sell tickets, and thats ALL that Sarver cares about.

this dead horse has been beaten more than Marion.....

enough already.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
this dead horse has been beaten more than Marion.....

enough already.

Ive wanted D'Antoni out of here for a couple of years now....but it obviously doesn't matter.

D'Antoni isn't anywhere near the hot seat, and Sarver has proven that his bottom line is his number one priority.

The Suns have sold all season tickets for this year. D'Antoni is a pretty modestly paid coach.

He's not going anywhere.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Assuming D'Antoni is fired who is it you want to coach the team?
Exactly. I looked through the whole thread and I don't think I saw a single suggestion as to who we should replace him with. And I don't mean "someone like...", I mean an actual name of someone who was/will be available. It is easy to say that D'Antoni is the problem. But firing him is not a solution, unless you name a coach that you think will do better with our squad and justify why.

Also, I don't understand why bring this up now, after the first game of the season, a game we actually won. If the argument is that due to D'Antoni we are a built as a great regular season team but a weak post season team, then not a single regular season game is relevant to that argument.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
OK, I guess, I need to defend my "Thread"....

For those that Call D'Antoni a "Great" Coach - :biglaugh: Great Coaches win Championships. Great coaches get every ounce of talent from their players. Great coaches can teach and develop. Great coaches inspire.

Of all of those items above - D'Antoni can inspire, at times. I feel like D'Antoni is a good coach with a good system. However, he is not a GREAT Coach. Not even close. His record is due to #13, #31, #32/#1, and others. What coach in this league would have a winning record with the Phoenix Suns Starting Lineup! Answer: every single one. A great coach would take this lineup and win multiple championships. Period.

I started this thread for a reason. I wanted D'Antoni gone last year, but due to weird and unlikely circumstances, D'Antoni was given a reprieve.

THIS HAS TO BE HIS LAST CHANCE. The LAST YEAR. Win or Go Home. Nash's window is closing.

BTW, another big crappy move the 'GM' D'Antoni made... he convinced the owner to give Doris a ton of money - Doris was 'his guy'.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to answer this - I wasn't looking to fire him during the season. But I want the ax to linger over his head - and I want him to know it. I want him to know that anything less than championship is unacceptable.

As for a replacement... not sure. As much as I hate Phil... j/k.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive wanted D'Antoni out of here for a couple of years now....but it obviously doesn't matter.

D'Antoni isn't anywhere near the hot seat, and Sarver has proven that his bottom line is his number one priority.

The Suns have sold all season tickets for this year. D'Antoni is a pretty modestly paid coach.

He's not going anywhere.

I should have bolded the "ALL Sarver cared about was selling tickets" bit. That's what I was referred to.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For those that Call D'Antoni a "Great" Coach - :biglaugh: Great Coaches win Championships. Great coaches get every ounce of talent from their players. Great coaches can teach and develop. Great coaches inspire.

Of all of those items above - D'Antoni can inspire, at times. I feel like D'Antoni is a good coach with a good system. However, he is not a GREAT Coach. Not even close. His record is due to #13, #31, #32/#1, and others. What coach in this league would have a winning record with the Phoenix Suns Starting Lineup! Answer: every single one. A great coach would take this lineup and win multiple championships. Period.

I started this thread for a reason. I wanted D'Antoni gone last year, but due to weird and unlikely circumstances, D'Antoni was given a reprieve.

THIS HAS TO BE HIS LAST CHANCE. The LAST YEAR. Win or Go Home. Nash's window is closing.

BTW, another big crappy move the 'GM' D'Antoni made... he convinced the owner to give Doris a ton of money - Doris was 'his guy'.

9 million is just fine for Boris.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
[/B]BTW, another big crappy move the 'GM' D'Antoni made... he convinced the owner to give Doris a ton of money - Doris was 'his guy'.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

True, because no one on this board or anyone who supports the team wanted to see Boris signed. I guess Barbosa(who is on such a riduclously cheap contract that it offsets Diaw's) isn't his guy even though he brought in his brother to be his personal mentor.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that is over paying for what he does, and what he refuses to do. About 4 million over.

Well if Barbosa hit the FA market he'd be getting over 4mil than his contract so I guess the Daiw/Barbosa signings together could be considered a net gain.

cly2tw

Reaction score
True, because no one on this board or anyone who supports the team wanted to see Boris signed. I guess Barbosa(who is on such a riduclously cheap contract that it offsets Diaw's) isn't his guy even though he brought in his brother to be his personal mentor.

I think Boris was a fair contract with 9m per at that time. Last year, he didn't deserve it. But, it looks like he'll this season.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You mean, right after Diaw averaged 13/7/6 in the regular season and 19/7/5 in the playoffs, including 25ppg in the WCF against Dallas?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Take it for what its worth guys - his name is Tucson Devil.

Anyone who attended ASU and chooses to live in Tucson is just a$$ backwards anyway;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is over paying for what he does, and what he refuses to do. About 4 million over.

Marion is overpaid for what he does. About 4 million over.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
You mean, right after Diaw averaged 13/7/6 in the regular season and 19/7/5 in the playoffs, including 25ppg in the WCF against Dallas?

Yeah, I do think it was high. What? I can't have an opinion now? His numbers were inflated for two reasons, #1 Amare wasn't there, #2 Marion sucks in the playoffs and someone has to pick up the slack ;) #3, Doris was playing for a new contract.

Leandro was a good signing. Also, I am not so sure that LB would be less of a player with a different coach.

OP
OP
TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
except without having won 4 championships and having been to 6 Finals.

Similar to my posting above - I don't see how so many are claiming Mike D'Antoni is a GREAT COACH... comparing him to Joe Torre is just laughable.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Similar to my posting above - I don't see how so many are claiming Mike D'Antoni is a GREAT COACH... comparing him to Joe Torre is just laughable.

That's why I compared him to Shottenheimer.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'm curious to hear who you think is a great coach, considering you dismiss DA's success b/c of the players he has.

The coaches who come to mind are Phil, LB, Pops, and Riley (Did anybody else win a championship lately?) And for everyone of those you could make the argument their success came from the players they coached.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree. The Red Sox fans were talking all year about how Francona should be fired and now they're the champs. I wonder if they want him fired now?

Tito managed a team that lead it's division for nearly the entire year, so I'm not sure where you're getting that Sox fans wanted him fired "all year". There were times when his decisions were questioned, but that really isn't a good example.

Sorry for going OT.